Resource Forum Rules and Reservation Index

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
An interesting guide idea I came up with (but am not reserving) is some sort of strategy compendium for XD's Battle CDs. The CDs give you fixed teams and movesets and many require specific ways of approaching them, so I think it would be a very useful article for completionists (plus iirc they all give prizes that could be useful for in-game runs).

Last edited:
As I am co-writing the SM Berry Guide am I able to do a solo guide too?

If so would I be able to do a Poke Pelago Guide.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, though Sondero reserved that about a month ago. Not sure if they're still interested in writing it / if you two want to collab.
I'll see if he hits me up, if not i'm sure ill eventually think of something else.
I've been a bit busy with school since that started, but I have slowly but surely gotten to write most of the meat of the guide down. I should be ready to post a WIP today or tomorrow, where I need to do basic spelling and grammar control, fact check and such.

I don't think I'll necessarily need a collab, unless there's a big rush to get the guide out.

Edit: WIP is up

Last edited:
Is there any guides on Sun & Moons Pokedex Side Quests (Showing Pokemon to people for rewards), Zygarde Cell Guide (Locations/Useful Information), Pokefinder Upgrades and locations, Festival Plaza Guide or Hyper Training Guide? Or at least any desire to have any of these guides, I'd be interested in writing.

Ciran

Queen Of Puns
is a Top Artistis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Would like to make some updates to the Special Poke Ball Inheritance Guide article here:

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/special_ball

The 'Form Differences' section in particular needs updating to reflect gen7 breeding changes since balls are now hereditary from both genders. There are some other sections that need revision as well, but it would probably be easier to wait for USUM to be released because it will change which Pokemon are accessible in Alola.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Is there any guides on Sun & Moons Pokedex Side Quests (Showing Pokemon to people for rewards), Zygarde Cell Guide (Locations/Useful Information), Pokefinder Upgrades and locations, Festival Plaza Guide or Hyper Training Guide? Or at least any desire to have any of these guides, I'd be interested in writing.
sorry looks like we missed the alert for this post

regardless we don't think there's enough depth to pokedex quests and zygarde cells to warrant a guide at least for now (maybe when we get more articles out of the way and can shoot for covering "everything", but they're basically just listings of which there are already a fair bunch out there), festival plaza guide is fine and i'll add it to the reservation index, we'll have to talk a bit more about pokefinder and hyper training guides

however, we'd like to see a bit of progress on the berries guide before you reserve another article, so gonna have to say no for now :\

If possible, I'd like to reserve a Pokemon Refresh guide for Sun/Moon.
yes

Would like to make some updates to the Special Poke Ball Inheritance Guide article here:

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/special_ball

The 'Form Differences' section in particular needs updating to reflect gen7 breeding changes since balls are now hereditary from both genders. There are some other sections that need revision as well, but it would probably be easier to wait for USUM to be released because it will change which Pokemon are accessible in Alola.
Winry made a pretty thorough update to this guide a month and a bit ago (posts here and following), what sections specifically need editing? I think the Deerling thing can just be done through a quick SCMS edit, if there's more sections that need revising then tackling those come USM sounds good.

Ciran

Queen Of Puns
Winry made a pretty thorough update to this guide a month and a bit ago (posts here and following), what sections specifically need editing? I think the Deerling thing can just be done through a quick SCMS edit, if there's more sections that need revising then tackling those come USM sounds good.
Mostly minor edits.

The entire deerling section can be removed since any ability/ball combo is available now.

The Pumpkaboo form difference mention needs rewording. HA can now be in any buyable ball, but only Average and Super Size are available. Flabébé is still correct.

"With the release of Generation VI and numerous events, all breedable Pokémon can now legally have their hidden abilities. This does not, however, mean that all Pokémon with form differences can be bred in any regular Ball and have their hidden ability." This sentence is no longer true. The gen7 starters, Oranguru, and Passimian don't have their HA's released, yet.

The first paragraph was edited for gen7 and I think it would be better to partially rewrite it because I find this section in the intro paragraph to be misleading, "Compiled into lists are the Pokémon that can be bred into Safari Balls, Sport Balls, Dream Balls, and any of the Apricorn Balls—Poké Balls that are unobtainable in Sun and Moon." At the moment it sounds like Apricorn Balls aren't available in SM. Also think a mention of the new Beast Ball should be included in the intro paragraph. Something like...
"This little guide is here to help you find which special Poké Balls the Pokémon you want to breed in your Sun or Moon game can legally be in. Not every Pokémon from Generation IV can be in, for example, a Love Ball, nor can every Pokémon from Generation V be in a Dream Ball. Compiled into lists are the Pokémon that can be bred into Safari Balls, Sport Balls, Dream Balls, any of the Apricorn Balls, and Beast Balls. Additionally it will mention the Poké Balls that are unobtainable in Sun and Moon. This guide won't go deeply into the specifics on how to require the Pokémon you want, but will give you some brief explanations on where to look. If you want more exact info, look for other sources of information."

"As of Generation VII, because both male and female Pokémon can pass down hidden abilities and Poké Balls, it is now possible to have Speed Boost Sharpedo inside a Safari Ball or a Drought Ninetales inside a Love Ball. It is also possible through breeding to have an Alolan Sandshrew inside a Safari Ball even though Safari Balls are not available in Sun and Moon." Thought this was a little misleading about the males passing HA. Makes it sound like males can pass their HA with a non-HA female.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mostly minor edits.

The entire deerling section can be removed since any ability/ball combo is available now.

The Pumpkaboo form difference mention needs rewording. HA can now be in any buyable ball, but only Average and Super Size are available. Flabébé is still correct.

"With the release of Generation VI and numerous events, all breedable Pokémon can now legally have their hidden abilities. This does not, however, mean that all Pokémon with form differences can be bred in any regular Ball and have their hidden ability." This sentence is no longer true. The gen7 starters, Oranguru, and Passimian don't have their HA's released, yet.

The first paragraph was edited for gen7 and I think it would be better to partially rewrite it because I find this section in the intro paragraph to be misleading, "Compiled into lists are the Pokémon that can be bred into Safari Balls, Sport Balls, Dream Balls, and any of the Apricorn Balls—Poké Balls that are unobtainable in Sun and Moon." At the moment it sounds like Apricorn Balls aren't available in SM. Also think a mention of the new Beast Ball should be included in the intro paragraph. Something like...
"This little guide is here to help you find which special Poké Balls the Pokémon you want to breed in your Sun or Moon game can legally be in. Not every Pokémon from Generation IV can be in, for example, a Love Ball, nor can every Pokémon from Generation V be in a Dream Ball. Compiled into lists are the Pokémon that can be bred into Safari Balls, Sport Balls, Dream Balls, any of the Apricorn Balls, and Beast Balls. Additionally it will mention the Poké Balls that are unobtainable in Sun and Moon. This guide won't go deeply into the specifics on how to require the Pokémon you want, but will give you some brief explanations on where to look. If you want more exact info, look for other sources of information."

"As of Generation VII, because both male and female Pokémon can pass down hidden abilities and Poké Balls, it is now possible to have Speed Boost Sharpedo inside a Safari Ball or a Drought Ninetales inside a Love Ball. It is also possible through breeding to have an Alolan Sandshrew inside a Safari Ball even though Safari Balls are not available in Sun and Moon." Thought this was a little misleading about the males passing HA. Makes it sound like males can pass their HA with a non-HA female.
Thanks for these comments, I wasn't sure about Pumpkaboo or Deerling and nobody else mentioned anything so I thought it was cool to leave. You can make changes in the SCMS or I can do it when I get back from classes today, though it'll be a while.

Ciran

Queen Of Puns
Thanks for these comments, I wasn't sure about Pumpkaboo or Deerling and nobody else mentioned anything so I thought it was cool to leave. You can make changes in the SCMS or I can do it when I get back from classes today, though it'll be a while.
I can't tell if this was done yet. I'm happy to do so if you'd like, I just can't figure out where to go.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't tell if this was done yet. I'm happy to do so if you'd like, I just can't figure out where to go.
I actually totally forgot, this happens often when I reply to things when I'm not at home >.<

I'll help in PMs!

Ciran Winry
I posted some issues with the ball list here which I guess never got fixed, if someone is fixing the Pumpkaboo+Deerling stuff it would be nice if they could fix the other issues too.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Jellicent I've been way more busy with school than I thought I would be, so I haven't gotten much time to work on the Pelago guide (and probably won't get much more time for a while), so feel free to remove my reservation for that in case someone wants to take over (I know DBW was interested. I wrote down a WIP Here] but have barely touched it since, feel free to take inspiration from it, improve on what's there or just start over from scratch).

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A project I have started (but would not want to reserve yet due to uncertainty of scope) was inspired by the old BW Pokemon Dictionary. What I'm planning at this moment is a redone, more dictionary-like, different-focus (e.g. less abbreviations, more competitive terminology common in but not exclusive to Pokemon's scene), much more expansive result. It's goal would be to concisely yet comprehensively give new players an immediate resource to turn to that helps their footing and clarifies unknown terms. What do you guys think?

Here are some sample entries:
B:

BO3
1. n. A competition where, to win the competition, a player must win the majority of a set of three matches. - BO5, BO7, etc.

BP
1. n. Base Power, an attribute of moves, the primary determinant of damage dealt.
Earthquake’s 100 BP and perfect accuracy make it a strong and reliable choice.
2. n. Baton Pass, a move bringing the user out of battle and transferring many stat boosts and benefits to an incoming teammate.
3. v. Using Baton Pass in battle.
4. adj. Consisting of multiple Baton Pass users designed to accumulate benefits for an end recipient. - BP Chain
They tried to Roar my BP team, but Smeargle had already set Ingrain, and I could have passed to Magic Bounce Espeon anyway.
5. n. Bullet Punch, a Steel-type priority move.
6. n. Battle Points, a recurring in-game currency used to purchase move tutors, items, etc.

C:

Calc
1. n. Damage Calculator, an online calculator used to determine attack damages and (NH)KO ranges.
2. v. To use a damage calculator, often during a match and to determine (NH)KO ranges.

Cleric
1. n. A Pokemon using support moves like Heal Bell, Aromatherapy, and Wish to keep its teammates healthy.

Chip
1. n. Minor damage that accumulates to wear down a Pokemon and make it easier to KO. - chip damage
2. v. To inflict chip (damage) on an opposing Pokemon.
I chipped Tapu Fini with Hydro Pumps to bring it to Gunk Shot’s KO range.

Check
1. n. A Pokemon able to threaten another, generally via offensive presence, but with poor chance to affirmatively switch in, uncertain security, or a risk of becoming crippled.
Ash-Greninja checks many Pokemon with its strong priority, but has no business trying to take the majority of their attacks.
2. v. To successfully check one Pokemon with another.

Counter
1. n. A Pokemon able to safely switch into another, securely threatening or thwarting it so long as both remain in the battle.
Mega Venusaur counters Choice Scarf Keldeo; its Giga Drain is able to both severely hurt it and heal what little damage the Venusaur takes.
2. v. To counter one Pokemon with another.
3. v. To generally stop one tactic with another tactic.
4. n. A move damaging the opponent in accordance with physical damage taken by the user in the current turn.

S:

Sac
1. v. Sacrifice, to switch in a Pokemon with the expectation that it will be KOd, in order to buy time for a response or to generate momentum. - sack
My Tyranitar wasn’t needed and was crippled by Toxic anyway, so I sacd it to give Ash-Greninja the safe chance to come in and revenge kill with Water Shuriken.

Semistall
1. adj. Using stall Pokemon and threatening attackers together.

Set
1. n. The combined result of a Pokemon’s move choices, ability choice, nature, and stat investment.
The opponent was helpless against my Calm Mind Blacephalon set.
2. v. To bring a field condition into effect by ability or move.

Setter
1. n. A Pokemon that, by virtue of ability or move, sets a field condition such as weather or terrain.
Snow Warning makes Ninetales-Alola the premier Aurora Veil setter.

Setup
1. v. To use stat-boosting moves, especially those boosting an offensive stat. - set up
Once my Landorus-T set up both Swords Dance and Rock Polish, the match was basically over.
2. adj. Boosting stats, especially for purposes of a sweep.
3. n. Setup move.

Sweep
1. v. To use one Pokemon to KO the opponent’s entire team.
Freedom to set up Shift Gear let my Magearna easily sweep.
2. v. To win the entirety of a series of events when only a majority was needed.
Many thought the BO3 would be competitive enough for a 2-1 result, but it ended in a sweep.
3. n. An instance where a sweep has occurred.

Sweeper
1. n. A Pokemon used to heavily cripple or sweep the opponent team by itself, especially via setup moves.
2. n. A primarily offensive Pokemon or set, often preceded by an adjective.
Life Orb Greninja is a classic mixed sweeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
A project I have started (but would not want to reserve yet due to uncertainty of scope) was inspired by the old BW Pokemon Dictionary. What I'm planning at this moment is a redone, more dictionary-like, different-focus (e.g. less abbreviations, more competitive terminology common in but not exclusive to Pokemon's scene), much more expansive result. It's goal would be to concisely yet comprehensively give new players an immediate resource to turn to that helps their footing and clarifies unknown terms. What do you guys think?

Here are some sample entries:
B:

BO3
1. n. A competition where, to win the competition, a player must win the majority of a set of three matches. - BO5, BO7, etc.

BP
1. n. Base Power, an attribute of moves, the primary determinant of damage dealt.
Earthquake’s 100 BP and perfect accuracy make it a strong and reliable choice.
2. n. Baton Pass, a move bringing the user out of battle and transferring many stat boosts and benefits to an incoming teammate.
3. v. Using Baton Pass in battle.
4. adj. Consisting of multiple Baton Pass users designed to accumulate benefits for an end recipient. - BP Chain
They tried to Roar my BP team, but Smeargle had already set Ingrain, and I could have passed to Magic Bounce Espeon anyway.
5. n. Bullet Punch, a Steel-type priority move.
6. n. Battle Points, a recurring in-game currency used to purchase move tutors, items, etc.

C:

Calc
1. n. Damage Calculator, an online calculator used to determine attack damages and (NH)KO ranges.
2. v. To use a damage calculator, often during a match and to determine (NH)KO ranges.

Cleric
1. n. A Pokemon using support moves like Heal Bell, Aromatherapy, and Wish to keep its teammates healthy.

Chip
1. n. Minor damage that accumulates to wear down a Pokemon and make it easier to KO. - chip damage
2. v. To inflict chip (damage) on an opposing Pokemon.
I chipped Tapu Fini with Hydro Pumps to bring it to Gunk Shot’s KO range.

Check
1. n. A Pokemon able to threaten another, generally via offensive presence, but with poor chance to affirmatively switch in, uncertain security, or a risk of becoming crippled.
Ash-Greninja checks many Pokemon with its strong priority, but has no business trying to take the majority of their attacks.
2. v. To successfully check one Pokemon with another.

Counter
1. n. A Pokemon able to safely switch into another, securely threatening or thwarting it so long as both remain in the battle.
Mega Venusaur counters Choice Scarf Keldeo; its Giga Drain is able to both severely hurt it and heal what little damage the Venusaur takes.
2. v. To counter one Pokemon with another.
3. v. To generally stop one tactic with another tactic.
4. n. A move damaging the opponent in accordance with physical damage taken by the user in the current turn.

S:

Sac
1. v. Sacrifice, to switch in a Pokemon with the expectation that it will be KOd, in order to buy time for a response or to generate momentum. - sack
My Tyranitar wasn’t needed and was crippled by Toxic anyway, so I sacd it to give Ash-Greninja the safe chance to come in and revenge kill with Water Shuriken.

Semistall
1. adj. Using stall Pokemon and threatening attackers together.

Set
1. n. The combined result of a Pokemon’s move choices, ability choice, nature, and stat investment.
The opponent was helpless against my Calm Mind Blacephalon set.
2. v. To bring a field condition into effect by ability or move.

Setter
1. n. A Pokemon that, by virtue of ability or move, sets a field condition such as weather or terrain.
Snow Warning makes Ninetales-Alola the premier Aurora Veil setter.

Setup
1. v. To use stat-boosting moves, especially those boosting an offensive stat. - set up
Once my Landorus-T set up both Swords Dance and Rock Polish, the match was basically over.
2. adj. Boosting stats, especially for purposes of a sweep.
3. n. Setup move.

Sweep
1. v. To use one Pokemon to KO the opponent’s entire team.
Freedom to set up Shift Gear let my Magearna easily sweep.
2. v. To win the entirety of a series of events when only a majority was needed.
Many thought the BO3 would be competitive enough for a 2-1 result, but it ended in a sweep.
3. n. An instance where a sweep has occurred.

Sweeper
1. n. A Pokemon used to heavily cripple or sweep the opponent team by itself, especially via setup moves.
2. n. A primarily offensive Pokemon or set, often preceded by an adjective.
Life Orb Greninja is a classic mixed sweeper.
Dutchie and I had talked about this before. Some of the slang terms we'd rather not see formalized on-site, as they would normally be edited out of analyses by GPers. That said, Lutra's posts here cover a lot of what you're suggesting already. Another post in that thread covering additional jargon would be cool if there are enough terms that you think need defining. If there are just a few, we could simply add them to his existing posts~

Was wondering if you were planning to do an Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Tips and Tricks much like all previous games. My Sun/Moon Tips and Tricks is all finished on the editing phase, and if you wanted one for Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, I would love to tackle it. I could either do a full one (much of it will be the same as my current SuMo one), or I could do one solely on the changes and additions in USUM. Let me know.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Was wondering if you were planning to do an Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon Tips and Tricks much like all previous games. My Sun/Moon Tips and Tricks is all finished on the editing phase, and if you wanted one for Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, I would love to tackle it. I could either do a full one (much of it will be the same as my current SuMo one), or I could do one solely on the changes and additions in USUM. Let me know.
I'd lean towards making it a unified post/article to be honest. The changes from SM to USUM are not enormous and many of the items are located in the same place as previous. No need to rehash the ground when most of the work is already done and in place.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Does Pokemon Refresh fall under Pokemon Amie? Since it's essentially Amie's successor. If it does then I'll gladly write an article on it (I have a decent amount of Refresh experience if that's impressive at all :p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)