Fomantis, Lurantis Discussion

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Fomantis = faux mantis... These two are only posing as a Bug-type, just like Sudowoodo is only posing as a Grass-type.
I know, and I do suppose mono Grass is better than Bug/Grass. But while Sudowoodo is based on petrified trees near volcanic eruptions, hence being Rock-type, there's really no basis for Fomantis being a mantis-shaped plant aside they didn't want to give it the Bug-typing.

The basis is that it's a Grass-type pretending to be a bug, as a funny reversal of real-life bugs pretending to be plants (like leaf insects and walking sticks). So it has nothing to with not wanting to give it the Bug-typing out of competitive considerations or something. It's a deliberate choice based on the design and character.

The basis is that it's a Grass-type pretending to be a bug, as a funny reversal of real-life bugs pretending to be plants (like leaf insects and walking sticks). So it has nothing to with not wanting to give it the Bug-typing out of competitive considerations or something. It's a deliberate choice based on the design and character.
Yeah.

I love the concept so much.

Exactly, and my guess is that that same role reversal is also the reason it gets Contrary.

Its a cutie tho
Brave, Life Orb, Contrary
Leaf Storm, synthesis/giga drain, poison jab/x-scissor/brick break, defog/protect

There is no reason to run X-scissor anymore since Leech Life now has 80 BP. I'm unsure about EV's but I'd say that the best moveset for it would be something like this.

Leaf Storm, Payback/Leech Life/HP Rock/Ice, Defog, Synthesis.
Payback lets you dent fire types on a switch in and threatens most psychic types most notably Xatu.
Leech Life does damage, heals you and still allows you to threaten other Grass types.
HP Rock hits Fire types and Flying types and gets boosted by Leaf Storm
HP Ice hits Flying types while still hitting other Grass types and also gets boosted by Leaf Storm.
I see little reason to run Brick Break since Leaf Storm will hit most of the common Steel types in NU, and PU as I doubt it will see much usage in anything higher, same deal with Poison Jab.

Last edited:
The more I look at this thing's speed stat... I question if that's actually a benefit..

Lets be honest, we've seen Serperior in UU with leaf storm, and it sweeps like nothing, and Lurantis isn't far off in bulk or damage (literally a 5 point difference in HP, DEF, Sp.A, Sp.D). If Lurantis was faster, it might've been too strong for UU and BL.. since Serperior would clearly be a better option in general.

I think Lurantis might just be a niche mon.. if you need a wall breaker like Serperior for trick room or stall teams, this is it. In fact one perk I see for Lurantis over Tsareena, is defog over rapid spin (we have a new grass spin blocker that walls both, Lurantis at least guarantees the job done).

I feel like Lurantis will be playable in most tiers just it would always be in that C or below rating for most of them due to the team comps it requires to fit on (trick room).

I'm thinking a set like:

Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Sp.A / 8 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature (+Sp.A, - Spe)
Item: Leftovers / Meadow Plate / Grassium-Z / Life Orb
- Defog
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis / Aromatherapy / Giga Drain / Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire / Ground / Rock

The coverage is kinda four move slot syndrome, pretty much picking between luring stuff like Volcarona on the switch, Heatran, or bringing HP Fire / Ground to sweep past Ferro and Heatran respectively. Defog is Lurantis's main utility so that it has a reason to be switched in and put on the team, rather than just waiting to clean up, which on trick room teams, lemme tell ya how common trick room clean up is. Leaf Storm + Contrary, I shouldn't need to explain this. Finally for the forth slot, either Synthesis so it can keep switching in / stalling for more setup, Aromatherapy for more utility for the team, Giga Drain for another damaging move that won't miss and a little HP gain, or Substitute for a free Leaf Storm or HP lure or even to scout. I'm guessing leftovers since it is able to invest in HP and could stay in longer, but nuking switch-ins could be an option.

I really just don't see the point of mixed sets, just because it has a higher attack stat doesn't mean it has to use it, you lose more power going mixed. All mixed sets do is give it coverage but none of it is significant after the first leaf storm.

0 Atk Lurantis Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 150-178 (21.3 - 25.2%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO
+2 252+ SpA Lurantis Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 214-253 (30.3 - 35.9%) -- 44.9% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Lurantis Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 170-202 (43.2 - 51.3%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Lurantis Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Sylveon: 135-159 (34.3 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+
+2 252+ SpA Lurantis Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Sylveon: 267-315 (67.9 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As a said, this thing is niche, I don't expect it to be OU or even UU, or even RU for that matter, but lingering in those tier's viability ratings just because it fits on teams. Also, if this is in fact a Trick Room meta, which would you rather have? A fast serpent, or a slow orchid mantis? That's, what differs between the two and doesn't make it Serperior 0.5. Of course, that's assuming there will be a Trick Room meta.

or it could be complete shit and never see the light of day because trick room still sucks and stall is dead

I don't like this one so much, but it has some uses in lower tiers as a Contrary user... maybe it will get Superpower on future tutors.

What i loved are those '60s pants Lurantis is wearing, very stylish

Lurantis might be the worst gen 7 Pokemon now that Araquanid is out of the running because of its ability's newly discovered secondary effect...

What do you even do with this thing? Even for low tier Contrary Leaf Storm spam I would rather use Servine because of its superior speed and movepool. I have no idea how Game Freak screwed this up so badly.

Lurantis might be the worst gen 7 Pokemon now that Araquanid is out of the running because of its ability's newly discovered secondary effect...

What do you even do with this thing? Even for low tier Contrary Leaf Storm spam I would rather use Servine because of its superior speed and movepool. I have no idea how Game Freak screwed this up so badly.
You mean Serperior, right? There is zero reason to Servine over it.

Also, some people don't use Pokémon solely because of stats. Sure, I would have liked if Lurantis was a bit better, but I will gladly use it over Serperior.

Also, some people don't use Pokémon solely because of stats. Sure, I would have liked if Lurantis was a bit better, but I will gladly use it over Serperior.
I'm pretty sure he's referring to Servine because Serperior is currently OU and he referred specifically to low tiered pokemon.

If you wanna talk servine, its bulk is shit the speed tier is still trash and its forced to hold eviolite. /end reasons to pick servine.

There is a species of orchid that mimic female wasps in order to trick male wasps into pollinating them.

Well Servine does have better speed (83) and similar bulk when using eviolite, along with better coverage. (By that I mean it gets Dragon Pulse lol) I don't think Servine outclasses it though since Lurantis has better SpA, Defog, and the ability to go mixed on his coverage options. Unless I was running Defog I'd probably prefer Servine though tbh.

Servine is pretty bad anyways even in the lower tiers and I think this will probably end up being better just because it gets Defog.

Crabominable, Vikavolt, and Alolan Raticate exist.

Crabominable, Vikavolt, and Alolan Raticate exist.
Vikavolt's not that bad, though.

Lurantis has its niche, too. There are very few non-Flying Defoggers in the lower tiers, and Lurantis adds to that list that is pretty much limited to Shiftry, Skuntank, Prinplup, and Lumineon at the moment (also Flygon, but that thing is shooting up to OU for sure). Shiftry may outclass it in terms of Speed and movepool, but Lurantis handles Fairies better, is bulkier, lacks any x4 weaknesses, and is has an interesting option for Mixed sets in the form of Contrary.

Last edited:
Even in the lower tiers this thing is outclassed by Servine, who is actually both faster and bulkier with an Eviolite, albeit a bit less powerful. Niche PU Defogger at best, complete trashmon at worst.

Karxrida I see a lot of potential with Lurantis in doubles. One thing that stands out is it's ability contrary and how it can partner well with Passimian. It can use defog to activate defiant or be used to pass contrary so passimian could use close combat or maybe super power with tutor moves At first glance it doesn't look appealing but maybe it could have some niches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)