VGC First VGC 2018 team

I started playing VGC halfway through 2017 and managed to get to around 1500 on Showdown, but with new Pokemon introduced into this upcoming VGC and due to the fact that I have no experience with any other VGC format, I would really appreciate some advice on the team I have created so I can properly start my official VGC season. The team itself is pretty standard but still feel like more can be done so would really appreciate some advice! :)

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

I decided to go with Assault Vest on this Lando set to try and add a bit more bulk to a pretty offense set as I originally ran Choice Scarf, however, I felt because Lando had the crucial job as having Intimidate, I wanted to be able to switch it out freely and maybe take a hit or two. Would maybe consider a bulkier set but I really like the damage output so I'm torn. Moves are very standard for the most common Pokemon in VGC.

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard

Ghostium Z can nuke a lot of mons and I was having a huge problem with Cresselia and Never-Ending-Nightmare can OHKO 252hp 4 Spdef Cresselia which is exactly what I needed as my team struggles with Cresselia otherwise. Chose Wide Guard over Shadow Sneak/Toxic/Sub to counter Lando (especially choiced) and Heat Waves from Pokemon like Heatran and Blacepholon.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch

Very standard Koko set. Cresselia and Lando work well with it as Cress is immune to Ground and can take on poison types with Psychic and Lando can also do the same. Life Orb for consistent damage as in my opinion is what you need for Koko. Volt Switch workes well with Lando intimidate as well.

Cresselia @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand

The fattest thing on the planet. Counters Lando and can just eat anything. Standard Evs and wiki berry to make this thing last even longer. Trick Room works with Fini and potentially Aegislash late game. Helping Hand works especially well with Lando Earthquake.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out

Standard Kangaskhan set but not sure whether I go Adamant or Jolly. I found I wasn't using Low Kick at all so I replaced it with Ice Punch to try and punish a Lando switch in to get an intimidate off which has been very effective.

Tapu Fini @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Protect

To round up the bulk of the team I went with Tapu Fini to deal with Blacephelon and Stakaka which were both tricky for my team. Evs allow Fini to survive Leaf Blade from Kartana and the rest dumped into SpD. Aguav Berry for longevity and this allows Fini to get a few Calm Minds off potentially.

Overall, this team is very standard and nothing crazy, however I would really appreciate some feedback so I can start my first whole VGC season properly.

Nice team and welcome (sorta) to VGC. Though your team looks pretty standardish, I'm home sick with nothing better to do so I thought I could run a few suggestions by you while keeping the team comp relatively the same.

-->

First, as I'm sure you're aware, most successful VGC teams have at least two forms of speed control. Trick Room doesn't make a whole lot of sense here, as you don't really have a dedicated mode to abuse Trick Room. Tailwind on the other hand synergizes very well with most of the team.

Zapdos @ Misty Seed
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 52 SpA / 4 SpD / 92 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Roost / Protect

The idea of this set is to take advantage of Zapdos' bulk by using Misty Seed to increase its Sp. Defense further. The EV Spread allows Zapdos to survive Ludicolo's Z-Hydro Pump in the rain thanks to the Misty Seed. It also allows Zapdos to survive Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge as well as taking a turn of residual damage from Hail or Sand. The moveset is pretty simple. Thunderbolt wears down bulky water types. You could make the case for either HP Ice or Heat Wave on this team. Hidden Power Ice is very helpful for opposing Landorus while Heat Wave can be good for opposing Ferrothorn.

My advice would be evaluate what your team needs more and go with that move. Tailwind is a must for Zapdos in general because of how helpful it is since of how strong speed control is in VGC. For the last move, Roost or Protect is again dependent on what you need from Zapdos. Since Zapdos is decently bulky, Roost is helpful to increase its longevity. Protect, however, can also be helpful to increase its longevity as most Misty Zapdos tend to eschew Protect. This makes double targeting or launching a Z-move seem safer.

EVs: 220 HP / 124 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight

The goal of this Cresselia is to set Trick Room and support its teammates. Because the only abuser of Trick Room is Aegislash, who typically prefers to go last, this mode should be used after your opponent has just set. The EV Spread is a general one I do recommend using. The HP number minimizes damage taken from Sand and Hail. With a Sassy Nature and the 220 HP / 164 SpD investment allows Cresselia to survive Z-Dark Pulse from a Hydreigon but bare in mind that Z-Shadow Ball from Aegislash has a 75% chance to KO Cresselia. The rest was dumped into defense for general longevity, but interesting to note that Return from Mega Kangaskhan is a guaranteed 3HKO.

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 52 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Low Kick
- Protect
- Sucker Punch

The next set takes advantage of Kangaskhan's bulk. The first thing to point out is the EVs, which this Kangaskhan can survive Iron Fist Conkeldurr's Drain Punch and Hydriegon's Choice Specs Draco Meteor as well as being 3HKO'd by Aegislash's Flash Cannon. With the speed, Kangaskhan can out-speed Mega Beedrill under Tailwind, which while doesn't seem to be important as Beedrill isn't the most common Pokemon, this does mean Kangaskhan will out-speed Pokemon like Mega Metagross and Mega Lucario, 2 Pokemon that Kangaskhan doesn't enjoy facing.
The moveset is very simple as a trend with all Kangaskhan in the VGC 2018 format is that unless its a rare situation, they all run generally the same moves. Return is your standard normal type move and the reason we're using it over Double-Edge is that the goal of this Kangaskhan is to be on the field as long as possible and the recoil from Double-Edge isn't great for that. Low Kick is a great fighting type move for hit Pokemon like Heatran and opposing Kangaskhan. Sucker Punch is great for KO'ing Pokemon at low health, and Protect was chosen to extend Kangaskhan's longevity.

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 164 HP / 124 Atk / 4 Def / 36 SpD / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

If you were interested in trying a bulkier Lando-T, this one manages to still hit hard, speed ties with Base 70 mons like Breloom, and is the spread I used on a sorta similar doubles team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)