First UU team... no mercy!

Well, I should have probably introduced myself beforehand, but I figured I might as well jump right in and make friends as I go. This is the first team I've ever made, and I want it to be ripped apart and all the weaknesses exposed. If I may ask, I'd like you to be as critical as you can be, and input is very much appreciated. Can't ever learn from half-hearted compliments, you know?
Of course, I do also want to know what I'm doing right.
This team is brand new, but I've had minor success with it. I've only had 4 matches on PS, I won 3 and got blown out in one of them.
Well I'll cut the chatter and post my buddies.

Claydol @ Lefties
252 hp/ 252 spdef / 4 def
Sassy Nature

Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Ice Beam
Earthquake
----
My general lead, granted I haven't really granted that position to a certain Pokemon. He just tends to be my go-to lead. Pretty standard here, just set up rocks and switch out when threatened. Maybe surprise someone here and there with ice beam, but he's mainly just a nice pivot for momentum change.

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
Sheer Force
4 hp/ 252 spatk/ 252 spe
Timid Nature

Ice Beam
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Shadow Ball
----
One of two main offensive powers in my team. Speed is most important too me, and while Scarf doesn't outspeed everything, I've noticed it outspeeds plenty. With Sheer Force and a wide movepool, Nidoking can hit a lot of things plenty hard. He's not much for sweeping, but his movepool is great for predicting and punching holes against the opponent. Granted, there is a lot of pressure on keeping him, and the next Pokemon, alive. Granted? Granted.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Flash Fire (PS won't let me use Infiltrator for some reason. Anything you guys know about this?)
4 hp/ 252 spatk/ 252 spe
Timid Nature

Shadow Ball
Fire Blast
Energy Ball
Psychic
----
My high-powered laser cannon, my favorite, Chandelure. Scarfed again because I've got a need for speed, Chandelure doesn't need Specs to hit hard, not with that beastly 145 sp atk. This set is used to hit whatever you can, and it's a great hit and run set from what I've noticed. I have also noticed that getting him out onto the field safely is a bit of a hurdle as well, though. He's a terrific late game sweeper though.

Daffy @ Eviolite
Trace
252 hp/ 176 def/ 80 spdef
Calm Nature

Discharge
Ice Beam
Recover
Toxic
----
My main pivot, my go-to guy, my main man, Porygon2. His bulk never ceases to surprise me, and whenever I'm in a tight situation, I find myself switching into this nasty space duck. Tanking hits and dishing out poison and damage, nothing much scares him out. He's great at stopping the opponents momentum, and it's great at making the opponent make a decision, if that makes sense. When Daffy is out, it's the opponent who is thinking about his moves, or switching out. It helps a rookie like me maintain control of the battle. He can also hit decently hard, and I chose discharge over TBolt for the 30% para chance.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Synchronize
252 hp/ 40 def/ 216 spdef
Bold Nature

Heal Bell
Protect
Foul Play
Toxic
----
My pretty black nurse, Umbreon, loves to switch in and take any kind of hit, as long as it's not a punch. Synchronize + Heal Bell has made me crack a confident smile on more occasions than I expected, simply because I can predict a status move and switch into Umbreon, leaving the opponent with said status and healing my own. Toxic is for duh, and protect is for duh, Foul Play = offense, and Heal Bell = Tylenol. Pretty basic.

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Regenerator
252 hp/ 64 def/ 192 spdef
Calm Nature

Giga Drain
Clear Smog
Synthesis
Spore
----
The unsung hero, he never ceases to amaze. Tanking all kinds of hits of any sort, dishing out a nice nap time to someone, and stopping setup, Amoonguss makes his papa proud (I'm papa). Checking a huge portion of UU, at least as far as I've noticed, Amoonguss comes in, puts something to sleep, and then frustrates the hell out of the opponent, whether I'm nullifying setup or just dishing out moderately okay Giga Drains. Synthesis is just for staying power, granted it was a spot I was unsure how to filll. It's certainly not really needed given Regenerator...

There you have it. My first team. Hopefully, it's not TOO shabby. I've always preferred defense over offense, and I GREATLY prefer precise offense over sloppy power, if that makes any sense. I tried to cover my weaknesses, and I haven't been exploited by a type I didn't account for, at least not yet.
As I'd like to ask again, don't be afraid to just rip my team a new one. I want all kinds of criticism, but I also want to know what I'm doing right, so I can continue my strengths and shore up my weak points.
Have at it, with no mercy!

-edit-
My record of 3-1 is on PS only. Granted I haven't wifi battled in a long time, my record all time is 9 - 4

Last edited:
DD Kingdra dumpsters your team. The standard set for DD Kingdra is Dance/Outrage/Waterfall/Rest with a Chesto Berry. Once Chandelure is removed which is very easy with any kind of Mon taking pursuit due to it being locked into a move, Machamp has his way with the team, specifically the Guts-Flame Orb variant.

Your offensive core is terrible. You have 2 sub-par offensive pokemon with scarves on them, further decreasing their power. They're also both specially based. What's gonna happen when someone uses Umbreon?

SubAbomasnow gives your team lots of problems, wether it be offensive or SubSeed.

Claydol is a joke. Just use Blastoise.

Nidoqueen is better than Nidoking. Use a Life Orb set with SR if you take my advice and replace Claydol.

DD Kingdra dumpsters your team. The standard set for DD Kingdra is Dance/Outrage/Waterfall/Rest with a Chesto Berry. Once Chandelure is removed which is very easy with any kind of Mon taking pursuit due to it being locked into a move, Machamp has his way with the team, specifically the Guts-Flame Orb variant.

Your offensive core is terrible. You have 2 sub-par offensive pokemon with scarves on them, further decreasing their power. They're also both specially based. What's gonna happen when someone uses Umbreon?

SubAbomasnow gives your team lots of problems, wether it be offensive or SubSeed.

Claydol is a joke. Just use Blastoise.

Nidoqueen is better than Nidoking. Use a Life Orb set with SR if you take my advice and replace Claydol.

Points taken. I'll take your advice. Thanks for the critique

-edit-
What if I swapped chandelure out for a quick physical attacker such as durant or mienshao?

Last edited:
Although a bit uncommon, Malamar wrecks havoc on your team, even with the queen + mienshao changes, Id highly suggest the blastoise change

Although a bit uncommon, Malamar wrecks havoc on your team, even with the queen + mienshao changes, Id highly suggest the blastoise change
I'm very frustrated with gen6 atm.
But in gem5 UU this team is now #9, granted the tier is nearly dead...

But I can't get a handle on gen6 UU yet. Any pointers?

I would give Umbreon more defence EV's so it has a higher chance of surviving common fighting moves, and switch leftovers on amoongus for black sludge which is basically leftovers for poison types, but if you face a person with trick or switcheroo they will take damage from the sludge. A good replacement for claydol besides blastoise is aerodactyl. Although it is in RU, Aerodactyl has more than enough speed, has access to taunt and stealth rock for a anti stall, and can learn defog toget rid of entry hazards on your team. I would also suggest thunderbolt on nidoking so it covers it water type weakness.

Cool team you have there. Whioe it is true than gen v uu is pretty much dead, it was a great tier. On that note, i have a few pointers.
1. You really dont need a spinner n your team tbh. Claydol looks perfect on paper being immune to spikes and resizt sr, but it has so manh weaknesses. Youre better off with an offensive stealth rocker like rhyperior.
2. Scarf nidoking is ok for surprise factor but youre better off with LO and 4 moves or sub and 3 moves. Actually if you want a great offensive rocker (which frees upa space), nidoqueen is a great choice. It has more power with a modest nature, checks moxie hera and mienshao very nicely and can setup sr easily.
3. Change psychic to trick on chandelure. Its better to cripple a wall than have mediocre coverage.
4. Do you realize that you have 2 sp def pokes and umbreon? Umbreon should be running a s p def set to check sp attackers like chandelure. I highky recommend swtching to umbreon to 252 hp/252sp def4 def with a calm nature (0atk ivs) with wish protect heal bell foul play.
5. As fof a xefensive wall you can considerhaze cofagrigus which stops anyboosters and has fantastic synergy with umbreon. Choosing cofagrigus and umbreon as your core will free up another spot on your team cor a sweeper like subcm raikou, sd virizion, moxie honch, etc..

I would give Umbreon more defence EV's so it has a higher chance of surviving common fighting moves, and switch leftovers on amoongus for black sludge which is basically leftovers for poison types, but if you face a person with trick or switcheroo they will take damage from the sludge. A good replacement for claydol besides blastoise is aerodactyl. Although it is in RU, Aerodactyl has more than enough speed, has access to taunt and stealth rock for a anti stall, and can learn defog toget rid of entry hazards on your team. I would also suggest thunderbolt on nidoking so it covers it water type weakness.
Would mega aerodactyl be a good swap for blastoise/claydol to transition this team to gen6?
And with knock off being more common I need a replacement for porygon2, maybe.

Mega aerodactyl is a good choice because you can give it a physical move as well as stealth rock and taunt support, moves I would suggest Stone edge and earthquake for edgequake support, but if you want to take advantage of tough claws ability give it iron head and crunch, iron head takes care of ice and rock weaknesses and extra damage to fairy, crunch for versatility. But personaly, the edgequake combo is prefered.
Porygon 2 is still a massive tank without eviolite anyway, no replacement needed

have you considered foul play on porygon z? It hits pokemon such aegislash-b really hard and before i know your thinking about sacred sword well i present you this
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 176-208 (47 - 55.6%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO
0- Atk Porygon2 Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 440-518 (135.8 - 159.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO edit: porygon 2 i meant

The fact that you have 3 Ice weak pokes on your team can lead to some trouble when facing stuff like other Nidoking and porygon-z in BW UU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)