SM OU First RMT - Z-Happy hour Greninja Balanced (Peaked 1700+)

Hello guys,

Giovanni Panzanni here, unlike what it may seem I am French, not italian and this name is more a tribute to the original Team Rocket boss in the original game. I'm a casual player who started to play in late ORAS a year ago. It is my first RMT and I've decided to share with you one of the team I've really enjoyed using which has reached 1700+ in the ladder.

Greninja @ Normalium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse/Extrasensory
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Happy Hour

I feel like every team needs a bit of element of surprise to win against your opponent. I have been interested in using Z-happy hour pokemon because it is quite unexpected and can really be a win condition if put in the proper conditions. I first tried using Z-happy hour Jirachi, but realized it was actually quite hard to use especially because of Landorus-T and its intimidate in 50% of the game negating the pros of the set. Then I've started using the Greninja version, which actually turned out to be quite effective. The boost makes you hit really hard, all-speed the whole unboosted metagame expect for scarf Tapu Koko and gives decent bulkiness. To work effectively, it has to be unleashed when his counters are weakened or killed to clean effectively (namely Ferrothorn, Magearna, Toxapex, Chancey, Scizor-Mega, Mawile-Mega...). It's better to try to use it the Z-move on a predicted switch for maximum efficiency. The attacks I've chosen covers a good chunk of the metagame and I've tried to cover the holes with the rest of the team. Ice beam for Lando, Zygarde, Garchomp, flying and grass types, Gunk shot for the Tapu family and Clefable. I've chosen Dark pulse as the last move for its neutrality against most types (mostly not to be walled completely against steel types) and its ability to deal with psy mons. However, extrasensory can be useful if Toxapex is too much of an issue and can also be boosted by psychic surge.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 140 HP / 192 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Magnezone helps me deal with annoying steel types that are a problem for Greninja like Ferrothron, Scizor and Celestella. It also helps me free the last attack slot for Venusaur-Mega that is usually HP fire. The assault vest also gives me a decent protection against non-fight move Magearna, the Tapu family, Latios and other special attackers

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Classic defensive Landorus-T set here,except I didn't invest in SpD. It also brings useful immunities in ground and electric types. Nothing much to say here as it has a classic use to counter physical attackers and set rocks. With U-turn, it forms a powerful Volturn to bring more safely Greninja and Tapu Lele.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 92 SpA / 80 SpD / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Knock Off/Earthquake

Venusaur-Mega is the mon that glue the team both offensively and defensively with the ability to handle water types (namely greninja or keldeo) and rain teams. It is also my poison spike check. Giga drain, sludge bomb and synthesis are the classic moves. As a last move, I initially started with HP fire, but decided to change since Magnezone took care of Ferrothorn and Scizor. Instead I'm still hesitating between 2 moves: Knock off and Earthquake. Earthquake gives a bit more offensive presence and can surprise with a 2OHKO Heathran who has tendency to switch on it. It also 2OHKO magnezone, and OHKO Nihilego without any Atk investment and give the ability to keep pressure on Magearna. Knock off on the other hand brings more utility and another weapon to deal with Stall teams when using it on Chancey and Skarmory.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

Tapu Lele is probably my favourite mon on this generally. It is the wall breaker of the team and does insane damage. Tapu lele is here to kill or weaken everything to make Greninja's work easier late game. When facing a team with Magearna in it, I like to spam psyshock on it as it deals ~40% to Assault Vest versions. Its ability can also protect Greninja or Ditto from Priority moves. Against stall teams, make sure you try to keep him healthy because he is the only winning condition against them.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Transform

I needed speed and I find Ditto to be an excellent Swiss knife that can fill many weaknesses. It's very effective at revenge killing offensive, especially with all the Mega pokemons back and can take advantage of some situations to heal with moves or regenerator or defog if needed. It also pressures set-up mons who would either set-up and allow Ditto to sweep or actually prevent them from setting-up

Charizard-Y always come back in threatlists and this team makes no exception. I don't really have any switch in. Setting-up stealth rock is the key here to then revenge kill it with greninja, ditto or venusaur-mega when at full health

Stall teams: To be honest, I don't often choose to play against stall teams as this remains a game I still play casually and I find stall teams removes all the joy. Therefore this team is quite weak against stall. Best ways to deal with them is Tapu lele with some good predicting skill. Knock off on Venusaur can also be really helpful

Greninja @ Normalium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Happy Hour

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Transform

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 140 HP / 192 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 92 SpA / 80 SpD / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Knock Off

Last edited:
I wouldn't really call this Balance, it's more or less a Bulky Offense. I like how the team revolves around Z Greninja, early Sun Moon OU meta I used it too, fun set. First thing I notice is that hazard stacking can really be a pain to your team. Seeing how you said Ditto is gonna be some form of hazard removal isn't really the best idea. Some teams actually don't carry Defog or Rapid Spin, so I recommend switching out Ditto for Mew. Mew would give you an extra Zygarde wall. The first set is basic wall set while the second set is able to outspeed an Adamant max speed Zygarde.
<

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 140 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

or

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 140 Def / 16 SpD / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Defog

Lastly is your lack of speed control outside of Greninja. So I would recommend changing Tapu Lele Specs to a Scarf:
<

Hope these changes helped out.​

Hi VoidPL,

Thanks for your feedback. I have troubles differentiating between balanced and bulky offense teams to be honnest :)

I actually made the choice not to have any deffoger/spinner because it always takes an important slot, and I made sure no mons in the team to be weak to stealth rock for that reason. I figured if I really needed a defogger/spinner Ditto could come handy in some situations but I am well aware he's not a consistent answer.

Stacking hazards can indeed become troubling, mostly against defensive and stall teams. Usually in those games Ditto have better opportunities to come on the deffoger or spinner of the team to use it myself. I've already done it a few times and it did the job, but not always, I'm aware of that. I'm also weak against spider web teams that I have not encountered too often thankfully, but many usually take advantage of defog/spin with ghost or defiant mons. I found hazards impact against offensive teams to usually be manageable though.

I like your changes and I'll try them out, especially with Mew's second set. The downside is I won't have any wallbreaker anymore, whereas Specs Lele was really effective to weaken bulky mons to help Greninja sweep late game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)