SM OU First RMT (all advice appreciated)

What is the most op lando set

• Stealth rocks + u-turn

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Unexpected scarf

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Swords dance setup

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Defensive helmet

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

Introduction

This is my first real competitive team and although I've played these games for about 8 years I don't know much about competitive play. I have however been looking through strategies and stealing teams for a month or two so without further a do, here is my own personal first attempt at a real team

Teambuilding Process

So right off the bat I liked the idea of a psychic/dark/fighting offensive core so I took a standard keldeo scarf set alongside alakazam for it's great coverage and ability to outspeed literally the entire unboosted metagame and even many things at +1 I decided to complete the core with bisharp as opposed to tyrannitar because I already have a mega and I personally don't like t-tar that much anyway.

Next I wanted a defensive mon who could cover common threats like diance and celesteela as well as eat hits from pokemon too strong for the others to switch into. Rotom-W came to mind for all of that as well as great type coverage

Landorous kinda speaks for itself, one of the best mons in ou as well as providing momentum with u-turn and it's immune to ground and electric PLUS stealth rocks, nuff said.

Finally I didn't know what to add so I just sorta threw in metagross as a late game agility sweeper. However I very quickly realized I had literally no fire coverage or answers to fighting types outside of alakazam who's too weak to take a hit so I put in togekiss, spot open to choices for a fighting answer with fire coverage and stallability

The Team

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Keldeo is as simple as it seems, it's speed evs and scarf let it outspeed anything that's unboosted outside of alakazam hydro pump is a powerful stab, same goes for secret sword, scald is more reliable than hydro, hp ice is for garchomp and zygarde.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge
Bisharp is mainly to switch into psychic threats and to pursuit trap but is also helpful with it's stone edge and iron head stab. I gave it a life orb because it's like a choice band that won't trap you into one move so I can weaken a pokemon and also use sucker punch to compensate for slow speed.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
As I said before alakazam can outspeed just about everything and do tons of damage with it's high sp atk and wide coverage, psychic is a powerful stab, focus blast can kill dark types, take a good chunk out of many things as well as adequately answer ferrothorn and chansey. Shadow ball wrecks ghost types and razzle dazzle is a more reliable answer to dark.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch
Rotom W is a very good wall that can tank most physical and special hits and shoot back pretty hard with good coverage, strong stab moves and the only downside being it's speed which I don't mind because moving last with volt switch helps gain momentum.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Lando t is bullsh*t, nuff said.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 100 HP / 152 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Defog
This one is mostly just here for heat wave and it's 4x fighting resistance but it's also a pretty good staller with access to a 60% flinch move and day of. (Spot is very open to change)

Conclusion

All in all I think this is a decent team but all advice is very much appreciated after playing about 10-15 matches I found the team is weak to setup and relies very reliant on prediction as evidenced by this replay I found pretty funny
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-643996769
anyway thanks for reading and I hope to get better and make more RMT's in the future

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Hex
- Volt Switch

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 100 HP / 152 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Defog

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Hello! Just saw your team, has a good amount of beginner's mistakes, but thats ok. These next few changes that I recommend are universally agreed in competitive pokemon. Just pointers that are pretty much always followed when team building.
  • For a choice scarfer, you should always be max speed, which means having 252 in speed and a positive speed nature. For your keldeo, this would be timid. If you still want have some HP investment, it would be better to lower your special attack evs before you change your speed. That being said, scarfers still want their power, and it would be better off to remove health investment entirely.
  • For a defensive pivot like Rotom-W, you'll want to have more investment in one defensive stat rather than to balance them. Rotom-W is decent in both defences, so you could choose either, but physically defensive tends to be good for it. Also, have a defensive boosting nature for the stat you decide to increase. The balance should be around, say, 160+ in Def and 96 in SpDef. Or, just max out one of them entirely. Rotom-W also works better with a status move like Wil-o-Wisp than ghost coverage with Shadow Ball
  • A defensive mon like Lando is always going to want to invest in Hp before splitting both in defenses. So, you're better off with 252 hp and, again choosing a stat to invest in. For lando, go defense for sure, and put just some into speed as well.
  • As with Lando, for Togekiss switch the 252 SpD evs with the 100 hp evs for more bulk
That all being said, this isnt that horrible of a first team. You have a glaring electric weakness, and any fast electric type with HP Ice like Tapu Koko has no problem volt switching around your team. You also don't have much of a wincon: a win condition. Try something that can set up better than Mega Alakazam. It's fast, but not strong enough unboosted. If you want to keep it, it can be complemented with Scarf Tapu Lele for the extra boost in psychic and priority.

There's more to be said, like how I run Icy Wind instead of HP Ice on Keldeo to stop dragon dance sweepers, but I'll let you figure out more. Just keep building, trying fun sets, and also check out here for other teams that can be well made that you want to use. Have fun!

Hello! Just saw your team, has a good amount of beginner's mistakes, but thats ok. These next few changes that I recommend are universally agreed in competitive pokemon. Just pointers that are pretty much always followed when team building.
  • For a choice scarfer, you should always be max speed, which means having 252 in speed and a positive speed nature. For your keldeo, this would be timid. If you still want have some HP investment, it would be better to lower your special attack evs before you change your speed. That being said, scarfers still want their power, and it would be better off to remove health investment entirely.
  • For a defensive pivot like Rotom-W, you'll want to have more investment in one defensive stat rather than to balance them. Rotom-W is decent in both defences, so you could choose either, but physically defensive tends to be good for it. Also, have a defensive boosting nature for the stat you decide to increase. The balance should be around, say, 160+ in Def and 96 in SpDef. Or, just max out one of them entirely. Rotom-W also works better with a status move like Wil-o-Wisp than ghost coverage with Shadow Ball
  • A defensive mon like Lando is always going to want to invest in Hp before splitting both in defenses. So, you're better off with 252 hp and, again choosing a stat to invest in. For lando, go defense for sure, and put just some into speed as well.
  • As with Lando, for Togekiss switch the 252 SpD evs with the 100 hp evs for more bulk
That all being said, this isnt that horrible of a first team. You have a glaring electric weakness, and any fast electric type with HP Ice like Tapu Koko has no problem volt switching around your team. You also don't have much of a wincon: a win condition. Try something that can set up better than Mega Alakazam. It's fast, but not strong enough unboosted. If you want to keep it, it can be complemented with Scarf Tapu Lele for the extra boost in psychic and priority.

There's more to be said, like how I run Icy Wind instead of HP Ice on Keldeo to stop dragon dance sweepers, but I'll let you figure out more. Just keep building, trying fun sets, and also check out here for other teams that can be well made that you want to use. Have fun!
Hey thanks for the advice I did always notice people spread out their evs in a 252/252/4 way and I always liked to balance but I'll try it your way cuz it seems to work for literally everyone else lol and I'll think about the wincon but that requires a major change to the structure of the team I'll make later

Hey, cool team however i've made changes and think this works better they're as following.

As Ho3n Confirm3d said Keldeo should always run 252 evs in speed as well as a positive speed nature; I think u should also give it stone edge which allows it to ease up ur Volcarona match up. I personally think u should replace Bisharp with Tyranitar, you don't need a fairy killer with the following my next changes Bisharp is also not a rly good fairy killer due to its dark type and Tyranitar smashes stall which ur team really struggles vs. I also replaced Mega Alakazam with Defog BoltBeam Mega Latias (I sure use this a lot) because this allows u to wall Mega Pinsir as well as further support ur team. Since Rotom-Wash is a very good physical wall however ur using a really weird spread I suggest changing it to a physically oriented wall. I changed ur Landorus-Therian from Defensive to Rockium Z because u needed a win con, this also still gives u access to rocks. Lastly i changed Togekiss to AV Magearna because Togekiss is dogshit and since I removed Bisharp u needed a steel type, AV Magearna is able to comfortably wall most psychic types such as Tapu Lele, Mega Alakazam and both Lati's.

<-- import

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)