Gen 1 First gen 1 team. Advice greatly appreciated.

So I've given some articles a good read to get a decent picture of gen 1 and after having learned most of the move and statistical differences, I quite like it. However, I'm not quite sure about some things in the meta, such as the relevance of some pokemon. Pointers on my team would be great, please. Without further ado, here's my current team:

Jolteon
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Pin Missile
- Body Slam

After debating a lead, I ended up deciding on jolteon. It outspeeds common opposing alakazam and gengar leads, and can thus lead to a) debilitating something fast or b) forcing a switch, usually golDon or zapdos. I usually respond to this switch with exeggutor and thus get a free chance at sleep. If jolteon gets away safely, I usually reserve it for paralyzing the likes of tauros or dragonite with wrap. Body slam is for special tanks or emergencies, but I did consider double kick. Any thoughts on this lead choice would be greatly appreciated.

Exeggutor
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Explosion
- Stun Spore

A common switch-in for my jolteon lead. I often find myself getting a free sleep powder because of the golDon or zapdos bait. Not entirely certain on the stun spore though, so advice on that would be nice.

Tauros
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard

It's tauros, so I use it for what it's good at, smashing stuff late-game or in a pinch.

Golem
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Explosion

Used to swap into things like zapdos or to deal with a paralyzed chansey. I really like the explosion as a last ditch effort, so I chose it over rhydon. I've read on other sites that golem or rhydon works for different types of teams, but I'm not sure how they affect team synergy. A note on that would be nice.

Chansey
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Counter

Ice beam to deal with golDon, soft-boiled because recovery, a paralyze to boot, and counter. I chose counter because it has helped me deal with snorlax a decent number of times, and because it's a nice surprise to get hit by a counter dealing 400 hp damage. I have gotten pp stalled a couple times for using ice beam only, but I feel that counter's merit outweighs this. Thoughts on this would be great.

Cloyster
- Clamp
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam
- Explosion

It's my favourite pokemon, but most importantly it helps me clean up paralyzed pokemon or slow pokemon in general. Clamp spam feels cheesy but works enough, blizzard gets rid of a paralyzed dragonite or anything that hates it, hyper beam to get chansey out of here or to pick things off, and explosion as a last ditch effort.

Thanks for taking the time to read! (^^)/ ~ KuraiTenshi26

Hmm this team is mostly ok which is cool

Jolt really needs Double Kick>Body Slam. Slam just doesn't hit anything for significant damage, as Zam and Jynx are both hit harder by Tbolt, while Double Kick is great vs Chansey.

Personally I like Stun Spore Egg, both generally and on this team- if you're running any Wrap mon you generally want all the paralysis you can get.

The biggest thing that sticks out to me is the lack of a Tbolt user outside of Jolteon. This is a problem, because by running Jolt in your lead position it becomes prone to getting slept, at which point you can count on it for nothing. Once Jolteon's out of the way opposing water types run amok, and you'll often have to rely on explosion to check them. You may be fine with relying on this, I've certainly used teams that lean heavily on explosion, but you might want to consider dropping Counter for Tbolt on Chansey. This gives Chansey a means of directly threatening opposing Lap/Cloy, as well as denting Bro. On the flipside, I think giving up the anti-normal coverage is fine, as you've got plenty of pokemon that can take them on.

overall it's a decent team, especially if it's your first

Leave alone using TBolt Chansey or not (that I would definitely use on this team: Golem and Cloyster deal with Snorlax, and chances are that your opponent could EQ predicting Golem to come in at some point, so that Counter would fail), this team is weak to Starmie (and Lapras too): an unparalyzed one will ruin your day in case your Chansey gets frozen.

This team could work, but I'd suggest the standard *lead/S4/filler* team, especially for new players.
Deviating from that makes it harder, and what you get is improving some matchups by worsening other ones.

Hence, in case you wanted a Cloyster team, you'd be fine by using Snorlax>Golem: I'd use either a Selfdestruct variant (standard Slam/EQ/HB/SD) or a riskier Amnesia variant (Slam/Amnesia/Blizzard/ Rest or SD) as Cloyster can take physical attacks for Snorlax in case you feel like, and at the same time you have an Exploder in case you pick Rest; you can deal with Chansey in case Snorlax is somehow traded due to being used a setupper instead of an hit and runner.
Avoiding the Reflect Rest moveset is often enough to deal with Zapdos.

I've been testing my new team after a few changes. The changes are replacing:

- jolteon's body slam with double kick
- chansey's counter with thunderbolt
- golem with snorlax (body slam, earthquake, hyper beam, selfdestruct)

After about another 20 or so matches, I've noticed I don't struggle against lapras or starmie overall, and now I have more options for actually slamming chansey to death. Thanks for the advice, everyone ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)