Featured Tutor #4 - Bluwing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluwing
  • Can you tell us a bit about your life outside Smogon?
I'm a 20 year old student from Norway, which i study to become a teacher in the future. On my free time i like to play pokemon obviously and just hang in the ps! rooms, i also do some skateboarding, watch tv-series and basically just chill out with either my friends or my girl, yeah i know lame af life haha.
  • When did you join the Battling 101 program?
I'm not sure when i joined the b101, but i think if im not mistaken it's about a year ago.
  • Why did you join Battling101 ?
Ive always found tutoring really cool, especially when teaching and helping people comes natural to me. I remember when i came back from my hiatus when xy just came out i started to play a lot off uu, this is when i got to know Limitless which if im not mistaken was some sort off b101 leader back then, and i just asked him and he said yes, from there and on the ball just rolled.
  • Did you sign up as a tutee initially?
Yes i actually did sign up as a tutee back in bw1 when i just started to get into the competitive scene off pokemon, i remember i had Ojama as my tutor, but we didn't really manage to get the lessons going. Same happened with the next tutors i got, so i guess i got a little unlucky on that front.
  • What's your preferred style of battling?
That is definetly balance or bulky offense as both off them come natural to my act off playing, but they are also the most reliable playstyles because off being able to play around, have a defensive backbone to fall back on and if u come in an unfavourable part off the game (losing momentum are probably the best way to explain this) u can always play urself back in, which with offense u will basically lose the game if u lose the momentum, same with stall but to a way lesser degree.
  • What style do you encourage your tutees to follow and why?
There is no style i will encourage, but i will of course come with tips about what is smart and whats not. We all have to remember we are all different, which means that i'm the tutor so i am the one who have to adapt to my tutee, help him reach his potential and knowledge in what he will find natural to himself/herself.
  • Are there any patterns in your tutoring style?
My tutoring style is pretty much straight forward, i play my tutee a lot and analyse how he/she are playing in-game and to know how well their in-game thinking as well as teambuilding skills works when it's game on. I will then usually start building with my tutee, redirect them to important analyses to increase their knowledge, then i often make a checkpoint on the ladder which seems realistic for them too reach so they can gain the experience off accomplishment which will boost their will to learn even more. I always tell my tutee that no one else can make u better than urself, i can only help u in the right dircetion, because in the end it's only u that can limit urself. I know thats pretty deep, but this is also very true.
  • How do you feel while tutoring ?
I feel pretty good, i like get to know people as getting to know new people are always interesting and u always learn from them as well. What i really like is that u can get tutees from all the way down to 13 up to 30 years old from a ton off countries, and this is very cool as get to know so much different people and learn from a multitude off cultures. And of course the best thing is, when ur tutee show improvement i think i can speak for all tutors that we feel this little accomplishment inside us.
  • Do you follow a process while tutoring?
I guess this question is basically the same as the pattern one, so i think i got everything covered up there.
  • What's your favorite strategy that you've run? This can be from any metagame or time period.
Just spikestack balance/bulky offense as this particular strategy is very solid in the current meta, it's a very good way to wear down any kind off team, and a well made spikestack team are simply amazing to watch or play when you can see how destructive it is. This playstyle makes huge opportunities for basically any setup sweeper or fast pokemon in general, which just fits perfectly with my style off play.
  • Do you wish to get specific feedback from your tutee, and not just receive a grade?
The feedback i like to get from my tutee is if him/her had a fun time and learned something they can build on in the future by themself. The most important thing is to have fun, which i feel a lot off people forget.
  • If you could improve B101, what would you change?
I would love to see more old gen tutors on here as it lacks a bit off those, and i guess more tutors in general so people don't be shy!

Thanks Bluwing for accepting and feel free to ask him questions.
~ Leftiez and Steve Angello

bogoljubow

formerly Betapf
Would you discourage someone from signing up as a tutee who has max. 1 hour to spare every day or even less? On the same note, how much time (and motivation) should a tutee approximately bring with him?

What's your main tier ?

Who is your best tutee or the one that learnt more from you ?

Do you encourage more your tutee to be good as a person or as a player ?

Are you still in contact with your tutee even after the session ended ?

Are you excited about new battling101 project made by Plus ?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Favorite team to win OUPL that isn't yours?

When will u talk in the OU room?

Gratz on this btw. Do something cool in OU and i might nab u for POTW ;]

leremyju

Banned deucer.
How did you make the acupressure Dodrio team?
Do you believe matchup in ORAS exists?
How do you think we can fix the metagame right now?

Mur

If you're not first you're last
Why was dodrio your choice of mass destruction to use against me and do you do this to all your tutees?

Looking at the current state of the meta do you think keeping Mgross was the wrong decision?

Going off the above question do you think banning mons that are restrictive but not outright broken to fix matchup is wrong or should the meta always come first?

How do I get promotions as quickly as you;]

Also I've just realized the fun teams and mons we made like multiscale zygarde actually had a purpose to it in that it was a way to increase team building skills which I didn't realize until recently quite clever I must say :]

Based off that is there any other clever ways you tutor that I have not noticed???

Favorite to win smogon classic?

Glad to see my brother blu on here, one of my biggest inspirations as a battler and also learned quite a bit from him! Besides that, I have some questions:

1. What are your future goals and aspiration on both Smogon and PS!?
2. Most memorable game played?
3. Favourite player to watch? And who do you think is currently the best OU player?
4. What upcoming players should we keep in eye on?
5. Who are your biggest inspirations as both a player and a tutor?
6. If you could add or change one aspect about Smogon as a whole what would it be?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
What have you found to usually be your tutees' source of motivation ?
their source off motivation mostly seems to be successfull at this game, as most new players struggle with the huge change from in game pokemon to competitive pokemon, even after months off trying.

Would you discourage someone from signing up as a tutee who has max. 1 hour to spare every day or even less? On the same note, how much time (and motivation) should a tutee approximately bring with him?
not really, as long u learn and ur motivated and u seem to find this enough time for urself that shouldn't really be a problem. time is always good, but motivation is key, nobody can learn anything to a person whos not willing nor motivated to learn something.

What's your main tier ?

Who is your best tutee or the one that learnt more from you ?

Do you encourage more your tutee to be good as a person or as a player ?

Are you still in contact with your tutee even after the session ended ?

Are you excited about new battling101 project made by Plus ?
1. My main tier is oras ou.

2. This is hard question, but ive got some rly successfull tutees like Galbia and Pearl, and also obliviate whos got to the tutee tour finals twice now. GeeMick also is probably my most up and coming tutee atm tho i just picked him up randomly in the ou chat, so hes never been an official tutee.

3. I would prefer my tutee to be good as a person as working with someone who is good, but act like they are the king off the world, no thx mate.

4. Yes i always try to be in touch with my older tutees, tho this can be harder said than done at times.

5. Yes definitly a good idea.

Favorite team to win OUPL that isn't yours?

When will u talk in the OU room?

Gratz on this btw. Do something cool in OU and i might nab u for POTW ;]
1. The mawiles i guess, but no ones gonna beat us anyway ;)

2. rofl idk man, when i stop being a lazy mofo ^^

and thx man, yeah sure ill do something cool ;)

How did you make the acupressure Dodrio team?
Do you believe matchup in ORAS exists?
How do you think we can fix the metagame right now?
1. haha well the idea are from bw2 nu where i 6-0'd annoyer with a dodrio team so i just thought maby it worked in ou too, hell yeah it did lol!

2. yes matchup in oras does exist, but u can always choose what to be weaak too, and a well made team should do well against most stuff in the tier anyway.

3. get lando-i the fuck outta here imo, tbh thats the only thing i would remove atm.

Why was dodrio your choice of mass destruction to use against me and do you do this to all your tutees?

Looking at the current state of the meta do you think keeping Mgross was the wrong decision?

Going off the above question do you think banning mons that are restrictive but not outright broken to fix matchup is wrong or should the meta always come first?

How do I get promotions as quickly as you;]

Also I've just realized the fun teams and mons we made like multiscale zygarde actually had a purpose to it in that it was a way to increase team building skills which I didn't realize until recently quite clever I must say :]

Based off that is there any other clever ways you tutor that I have not noticed???

Favorite to win smogon classic?
1. tbh idk lol, i remember there was like over 100 ppl on ps if not even more watching that game haha. tbh i just a thing with dodrio at that time so im sorry to say u were the only victim :/.

2. no keeping mega meta wasn't the wrong decision, the meta has adapted excellent to it and i can't see metagross being banned in the future.

3. that really depends, we had mons like aegislash in the tier which was restrictive to the extent we couldn't keep it. but now we have pokemon like spdef gliscor and mega sableye, which the meta has adapted too and they don't really stop the meta in evolving which aegislash did.

4. use dodrio haha ;)

5. thats very cool!

6. idk haha, i think i got a lot covered in my interview.

7. mcmeghan!

Glad to see my brother blu on here, one of my biggest inspirations as a battler and also learned quite a bit from him! Besides that, I have some questions:

1. What are your future goals and aspiration on both Smogon and PS!?
2. Most memorable game played?
3. Favourite player to watch? And who do you think is currently the best OU player?
4. What upcoming players should we keep in eye on?
5. Who are your biggest inspirations as both a player and a tutor?
6. If you could add or change one aspect about Smogon as a whole what would it be?
1. winning a trophy which doesn't include team tours definetly as this will be a huge accomplishment, on ps! i would like to become a global mod and ro in the ou room in the future. :)

2. my POCL semifinal game against Toxzn where i managed to 6-0 him to my own big surprise.

3. Favourite player too watch is Ben Gay, and the best ou player atm is Ben Gay. :)

4. c0mp and tele tbh, i think both off these players will be great in the future.

5. this quesiton was a bit weird so ill cut it up. my biggest tutor inspiration is a hard one, but i think that might be zamrock or steve angello they are both crazy good tutors. as a player it's def bloo, mcmeghan and ben gay as these guys are truly masterminds in this game.

6. infract everyone whis bitching on here for no reason, grow up and have fun here instead :)

thx for the questions guys! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)