Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

I am consistently baffled by the amount of threads that consist of little more than a headline that are posted when the headlines thread is literally RIGHT THERE

like seriously, UD, are you seeing this??
to be honest that was my reaction too but headlines is my thread so it might have been awkward if i said it??

It's probably because the headlines thread is for funny headlines ._.
not true! news of any kind can go there, provided it's interesting in some way. most of the thread happens to be humourous, but technology news, shocking news (this), and whatever else is always welcome! (NO SPORTS)

in fairness, the line between what belongs in the headlines thread and what doesn't isn't always clear (unless you've got a very good feel for a forum). basically, if news could generate a lot of discussion, it deserves its own thread. i don't think there's much discussion to be had here -- i wouldn't have made it a new thread. but that's just me.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On the topic of self defense, just because one person is armed and the other isn't doesn't mean the unarmed person can't TAKE the gun from the armed person and then shoot them with it. You absolutely can have cause to act in self defense in that situation. I am not saying that is what happened here, just pointing it out since most people seem to not be thinking about it. I know if I had a gun and someone else attacked me, I'd be pretty nervous about that guy getting my gun from me, even if he was smaller and weaker. Y'all know damn well crazier things happen every day.

Also let's remember that none of us were there and saw what happened. All we can see is the article that has been written, which could be full of misrememberings and quotes taken out of context for all we know. Let's stop pretending we are 100% positive this was a racist act, when we can't be unless we were an eye witness (at least).

We should be discussing what we think happened and why (based on extra research we do), not making blanket statements like "man this guy is so racist it sickens me" and then not explaining our reasons for that opinion.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I hate to be the one to revive depressing threads but, with that 911 call being freshly released, the intense feelings of sadness I have over this debacle resurfaced.

Here's a thought provoking post I found on neogaf on the issue

Seems like it's actually a bit worse than that.

In 2010 Justin Collison, the son of a Sanford cop (and the grandson of a Florida Judge), brutally beat a black homeless man unconscious. The supervising officer refused to arrest Collison and it took several weeks, the media running with the story and the release of a videotape of the beating before charges were filed. The same tape the Sanford PD had from day one. Sounds familiar right? This whole incident was such a debacle that Police Chief Brian Tooley was ousted (and replaced by Bill Lee). But it turns out the supervising officer who initially declined to arrest Collison despite having clear evidence a crime had been committed is the same goddamn guy who was in charge the night of the Martin shooting. One Anthony Raimondo, who was investigated and cleared of any wrongdoing for the Collison incident. The same Anthony Raimondo was relieved of duty (with pay) for filing a false police report and after accusations of lying under oath in 2009, but again later cleared to return to service.

The Sanford PD is a fucking joke.

Edit: And the prosecutor who "concluded that there is no basis for any criminal charges to be filed against Sgt. Raimondo for perjury, misconduct or any other crime" and cleared him to return to the department two years ago? State Attorney Norman R. Wolfinger. The same Wolfinger the Sanford PD just handed the Martin case over to.

Fuck this topic is making me so angry.
PS: I'd brace yourself hearing that 911 call clip, its truly shocking.

fuck

How can you not arrest the guy because 'self defense' if the guy he was defending himself against was both unarmed and attempting to run away? This seems to me like the sort of crime that we have the death penalty for.

edit -
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/16/trayvon-martin-911-audio-_n_1354909.html

That's just about the full audio of the 911 calls from what I can tell. (except they edited out names of course). It looks like everyone says there was only one shot, but Treyvon was apparently screaming for help and about everyone in the neighborhood heard it and called the police.

fuck man... I mean, ... fuck

I only have three words for this. WHAT...THE... FUCK... >_< All they find in the kid's pocket is a bunch of Skittles and an Arizona iced tea... No freaking gun on him, no weapons...

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Self-defense from what, skittles and an ice tea?

Just another fucking pussy with a gun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)