SM OU Expert Belt Thundurus

Introduction

I am just starting to get into competitive battling, but I just can't seem to get good. With that being said, I want to have some individuality in my team. It somewhat bothers me with how standard the OU tier is. Everybody seems to be using the same Pokemon. Please give me input on how I can improve my team, and maybe suggest some under utilized (unique) Pokemon for me to use without turning my team into complete trash. I want to stay competitive while having fun on the ladder. Any help is appreciated.

The Team

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
This is a standard lead Garchomp. It is here to set up entry hazards. Another reason I put this on the team is for its natural bulk. This is a relatively frail team that does not switch in well to opposing threats. Garchomp can take a few hits and return damage before dying for another Pokemon to freely switch in.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Gyro Ball
This is the defensive backbone of the team. I cannot envision taking it out. It is one of the few Pokemon on this team that I can use as a pivot. At one point, I ran knock off over gyro-ball on my Ferrothorn, but Tapu Bulu just became too much of a threat, especially since Garchomp cannot touch it.

Thundurus-Therian @ Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot
MVP: Kills Landorus, Celesteela, Tapu Fini, Toxapex, Zygarde, and basically any other Pokemon I hate with a passion. Expert belt ensures that this OHKO's defensive Landorus Theiran. Another option is to run u-turn instead of nasty plot, but most of the time hidden power ice deals with the Pokemon that block Volt Switch.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- U-turn
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
Victini serves a dual role as a late game sweeper and as a revenge killer, although it does the latter job with limited reliability. It can also be a wall-breaker, which is why I run trick. It also has great synergy with Thundurus. The combination of the two not only has coverage for the whole tier, but it also creates a volt-turn core. This is a huge luxury on a frail team. Furthermore, choice scarf on Victini means that it is an alternative lead to Garchomp. If the opponent leads with a preferable match up, I can attack right away. Otherwise, I can safely u-turn with 492 speed. V-create is a hard hitting move, and the threat of it on turn 1 is scary for the opponent.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword
- Surf
Good check to any Greninja not running extrasensory. Besides that, Keldeo provides good enough speed to the point where I can comfortably scout other opponents moves by going for substitute, and if my opponent switches into anything other than Mega Gardevoir or Tapu Fini, Keldeo makes him pay.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Iron Head
Here to rapid spin. This is my favorite rapid spinner I like to use in OU since I believe there are no other viable rapid spinners in the tier. Rapid spin is preferable to defog because I need to keep up my stealth rocks after lead Garchomp dies.

Conclusion

Testing the team, I realized that maybe the greatest flaw in this team was the lack of a genuine revrenge killer. I am not sure if this is a fatal flaw though. I think it otherwise matches up pretty favorably in the meta, but seeing as how I am not such a great battler, I would appreciate anybody else's input. Furthermore, it gets absolutely destroyed by protean Greninja that run extrasensory. There are no true Greninja counters in my opinion besides Chansey and Tapu Fini, both which I absolutely hate using. Do you think this team has potential? How can I improve it without destroying its structural integrity? Thanks in advance :]

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Gyro Ball

Thundurus-Therian @ Expert Belt
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- U-turn
- V-create
- Bolt Strike

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword
- Surf

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Iron Head

Last edited:

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey. Nice team, here are some suggestions though.

445.png
Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

SD Garchomp shouldnt just serve as a rocker, but also a breaker. Z-outrage is nice to suprise something like opposing Landorus who could normally always take on Garchomp.

494.png --> 786.png
Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

As you mentioned, Victini is a revenge-killer, but it doesnt really do that as well as Tapu Lele, probably one of the best revenge-killers in the game. Mainly thanks to psychic terrain which blocks priority and its really high special attack stat.

530.png --> 645-s.png
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide

I noticed you don't really want a defogger, but Garchomp doesn't need to be sacrificed straight away. It can be saved to get up rocks later, especially if you add Landorus as the defogger. Landorus is a solid defogger and pivot, helping you against Hawlucha, Zygarde, Pinsir and Volcarona to an extent (basically making sure they cant set up for free).

598.png
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

This is a much smaller change. Running a more specially defensive Ferrothorn helps against Greninja, which as you mentoined is hard for your team to deal with. I also put power whip over seed bomb, which is normally ran for the extra power.

I hope these suggestions help :]

Importabale with changes: https://pokepast.es/fe0ce09e02534cd2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)