excellent biological books / papers you've read?

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
i recently read the selfish gene by richard dawkins and found it quite enjoyable. any of you guys reccomend any books on the subjects of zoology, biology or biology + philosophy? even documentaries or movies would be nice.

if you like, include a brief description!

I've read the National Wildlife Federation Field Guide to Insects and Spiders of North America, and it was really interesting. Even though it's a field guide, it has chapters of text, diagrams, and photos devoted to the biology of insects and their relatives in general. It also gives biological descriptions for each order of insects, and a description and color picture for every species (900+) in the book. They're organized by order and family, not by appearance.

It includes hexapods, millipedes, centipedes, arachnids, and a few crustaceans. So if you like bugs, I highly recommend it.

Anything by Oliver Sachs, V.S. Ramachandran, Stephen Pinker, Richard Dawkins, Richard Preston, or Matt Ridely gets my vote. They have all written a lot of books, so if you wanna go on a science reading binge, these guys are great.

Oliver Sachs, V. S. Ramachandran, and Stephen Pinker all write about neuroscience. Sachs and Ramachandran are slightly more technical, whereas Pinker caters to the more popular side, though none of them write things that are all that difficult to understand. Ramachandran's book Phantoms of the Brain is a classic.

Dawkins, as you know, has written a lot of things on evolution and genetics. He also ventures into philosophy in his book The God Delusion, which I found to be a very interesting and enjoyable read.

Richard Preston has written both fiction and nonfiction, mainly focusing on infectious diseases. The Hot Zone is an extremely well-written and well-researched book on the Ebola virus, and everyone with an interest in tropical medicine should read it. I've read it about five times because it was so good.

Matt Ridely writes a lot of nonfiction books about genetics, and it's both dumbed down enough so that people new to studying genetics can understand it, and thorough enough to make it interesting. The only caution I would give you is that a lot of his books were written 5 or 10 years ago, and the field of genetics has advanced a lot since then.

I'll write a post on excellent neuroscience authors/papers to look out for later, but right now I have to leave. Hope this was helpful, though!

OH I just remembered: E.O. Wilson is another author to look in to. I haven't read anything by him, but my boyfriend has, and he thought it was great. Wilson writes a lot about entymology, zoology, and genetics I think.

Oh man I love biology, this is awesome. I plan on being a biology major.

I can vouch for the hot zone, it's truly a really interesting book on a little known virus. It's almost scary to know that this virus exists out there, and that there is almost absolutely no treatment or cure for it. Don't skip the book and go straight to the movie, the movie sucks.

You've definitely seen this one before for philosophy and somewhat biology, but Flowers for Algernon is one of my favorite books of all time.

I did my High School freshman (this year) research paper on "Zombie like disease". I had a really good time writing I and at school quite a bit of people were intersted in mine, ranging from "OMG! That's a cool topic" to "That's dumb. I did mine on bland crackers (or some other stupid thing)".

Richard Preston has written both fiction and nonfiction, mainly focusing on infectious diseases. The Hot Zone is an extremely well-written and well-researched book on the Ebola virus, and everyone with an interest in tropical medicine should read it. I've read it about five times because it was so good.
Seconding this, but you should note that's it's definitely not something you would read while having lunch if you have anything remotely resembling a weak stomach. His depictions of the symtoms are accurate and revolting, and part of what makes the book so good.

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
thanks for the suggestion guys, i'll definitely check most of em out. just out of curiosity, does anyone know any "big" reads on bio physics, if there is any such reads?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)