Driving under the summer sun, and the GPS is telling me to make a U-turn...

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
My last warstory got archived? Woah! I forgot I posted it. Thanks for all the comments you guys gave in the last one. By the time I remembered to go and read them, I couldn't even post in the topic anymore. That being said, even though I put effort into the last one, I realized that the battle wasn't stellar. I still had yet to stumble upon that “amazing” battle that turns itself into warstory material. Perhaps, even with this one, I still do.

In any case, my recent teams had their ups and downs, but I always felt as though something was missing from them. No team has all the answers...but I wanted to find something that I could have fun playing with at all times, even if I ended up losing. No matter what I tried, I could find no such thing. Everything I tried to use was just me defaulting back to the similar sun teams I constantly chatter about. I could still play sun, but...perhaps it was time for a change of pace?

So I abandoned everything that had brought me wins in the past. No more setup sweepers, no more volcorona, no more gallade, chandelure, or mixed sandstorm killer rapidash, no more venusaur, victreebel, or sawsbuck, no more bulky CB escavelier to tango with the likes of CM and trick room reuniclus or lati@s, no more CS icicle spear mamoswine, no more flame charge heatran. I'd just go back to the days when I didn't put so much thought into team building, simply slapping a Ninetales on it and five random pokemon (I used to do this in 4th gen too). It was time to do a little soul searching, pokemon style. It was time for a roadtrip!

My team: Ninetales, Infernape, Darmanitan, Lilligant, Forretress, Rotom-H
Opponent's team: Heatran, Latias, Gengar, Gastrodon, Celebi, Skarmory

After I was done teambuilding, I hit the ladder and I got matched up with someone who had currently been talking about how his current team absolutely never had any trouble fighting rain. Good. My teams all contain the same quality. Then I saw team preview and immediately cringed. This guy most likely had no problems fighting sun teams either. No matter. Contrary to popular belief, pokemon is not a game based on good matchups and cookie cutter play. At it's heart, pokemon is mainly about prediction and outplaying your opponent. So long as I could do that 100% of the time, victory was mine!

From team preview, I see that my opponent has a rather troublesome defensive core, as latias and heatran give most sun teams their fare share of trouble. Especially SubCM Latias. I hate that thing. I decide to lead with Infernape because Infernape is a monkey. But more importantly, infernape will put me in a good spot if he leads with skarmory, celebi, or heatran, one half of his team. I know I've paraded about Infernape's capabilities before...

Infernape used Fire Blast!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Salamence lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Salamence fainted!
Infernape is hurt by its Life Orb!
Yes, yes, nasty plot infernape. A beast born of my very own genius! [/M.Bison] However, I said I was dropping setup sweepers for other things. This is just a regular CB Infernape, complete with the Iron Fist he needs to mach punch those pesky excadrill into oblivion when Ninetales isn't around.

Battle between zzazzsdsa123 and Alphatron started!

Tier: BW OU
Variation: +18, -14
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

LightBringer is watching the battle.
Alphatron sent out Infernape!
zzazzsdsa123 sent out Latias!

@ 100% (Needs FoW armor) vs.
@ 100% (Not nearly as nice as she looks)

I can hear my opponent laughing over the internet. Not only did he see a sun team in team preview, he ends up leading against something that normally isn't a threat to latias at all whatsoever. My options at this point are to switch into forretress, as he can take any attack from latias bar hp fire. But what if this is the SubCM set I hate facing so much? Knowing my luck it probably is.

In any case, my irl friends have always told me that switching is for pansies. I usually beat them, so listening to their advice would be a mistake. However, my pride is preventing me from simply doing the logical thing and being a pansy instead of a loser. I'm going to use U-turn to test the waters. A CB U-turn from Infernape should take my opponent by surprise and give me the momentum. Once I get this car started and keep it going, I should be able to pull off a win. Hopefully, latias either goes for the Sub or the CM. If it does, I'm brining in Scarf Darmanitan.

Start of turn 1
The foe's Latias used Substitute!
The foe's Latias made a substitute!

Infernape used U-turn!
It's super effective!
The foe's Latias's substitute faded!
Alphatron called Infernape back!
Alphatron sent out Darmanitan!

The foe's Latias restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

@ 100% (brb. Going underworld farming) and
@ 100% vs.
@ 81% (Committing murders with a smile)

SubCM it is! And now I have a Scarf Darmanitan in to U-turn on Latias again! Darmanitan U-turn probably won't kill a healthy latias, but I'm hoping it does. For the record, I didn't do any damage calcs when I made this team. I made it under the assumption that modest scarf rotom-H's volt switch kills 4/0 politoed, Infernape/Darmy u-turn kills lati@s, and Infernape CB Close Combat kills or 2hkos all politoed variants. Nobody tell me that calcs. Damage calcs smash my confidence and don't usually work out the way their supposed to due to surprise sets like specially defensive hippowdon.

If my opponent switches Latios out, then I have an answer for whatever he brings in. Heatran will come face to face with Infernape. Celebi? Infernape? Skarmory? Rotom-H. Gastrodon? Lilligant? Gengar? Rotom-H.

Start of turn 2
zzazzsdsa123 called Latias back!
zzazzsdsa123 sent out Heatran!

Darmanitan used U-turn!
The foe's Heatran lost 5% of its health!
Alphatron called Darmanitan back!

The foe's Heatran restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

@ 100% (Really doesn't want to be here) and
@ 100% (Need 55hp monk for bladed aatxes plz) vs.
@ 100%

And he brings in one of this team's mortal enemies only to be put face to face with his own. As heatran hasn't done anything yet, he'll probably switch out to an answer to Infernape, and I'll just u-turn again to keep things in my favor. No heatran stays in on a fighting type pokemon, right? Right? Experience has shown that I'm horribly wrong, but it's more fun to think otherwise.

Start of turn 3
zzazzsdsa123 called Heatran back!
zzazzsdsa123 sent out Gengar!

Infernape used Flare Blitz!
The foe's Gengar lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Gengar fainted!
Infernape is hit with recoil!

zzazzsdsa123 sent out Gastrodon!

@ 70% (WTS Glob of ectoplasm) vs.
@ 0% (But I'm already dead) and
@ 100% (Indeed)

By the way, did I mention that I'm a big, fat liar? Truth be told, I was thinking of using U-turn, but I didn't want my opponent catching on to me being predictable. Even when using ubers, the minute you become easy to predict is the minute you lose. I had a feeling that my opponent would dare to take advantage of the Celetran defensive combo, so I took a risk and threw out a flare blitz. My opponent was expecting the close combat, but decided to go for the immunity over the resistance. Perhaps my friends were correct afterall. Switching to logical counters just loses you battles. I should just take my own advice and fight like a man, man.

However, my logical thinking is starting to kick back in, against my own will. Infernape can't harm gastrodon with flare blitz. At least, he can't do so yet. This is a good time to alter the conditions of the battle so that even the mighty gastrodon falls before resisted attacks. Ninetales! You're up! Huh? Scald? Earth Power? The hell are you worried about? Get in there!

Start of turn 4
Alphatron sent out Ninetales!

Ninetales's Drought intensified the sun's rays!
The foe's Gastrodon used Scald!
It's super effective!
Ninetales lost 90 HP! (25% of its health)

The sunlight is strong!
Ninetales restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

@ 81% (Back in my day, we only had two ubers) vs.
@ 100% (Quiet, grandma)

This battle just got better. This team has next to no issues keeping weather up even against enemy weather teams. How is that? Because I say so. If you take a look out your window and look up to the sky, you will see what truly rules this planet. Or perhaps I chose to warstory a non weather enemy team because most sand and rain teams have become dreadfully easy to beat. /cheap shot

This gastrodon probably carries toxic so I could use safegaurd to have my opponent waste a turn and get a free switch. Or I could switch Ninetales the hell out because both Latios and heatran are still alive. The golden rule of sun teams is to take advantage of the fact that Ninetales is helpless against such things and to double switch into such threats all the time. Hey, it's been working for me. Lilligant can sleep powder either latias or heatran, taking them out of the battle for a little while, which can only be good for me.

Start of turn 5
Alphatron called Ninetales back!
Alphatron sent out Lilligant!

zzazzsdsa123 called Gastrodon back!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Dancing with the Starmie) vs.
@ 100% (Type advantages? They don't exist)

See? Works like a charm. Switch Ninetales out of incoming politoed into Rotom-H. Switch Ninetales out of incoming Tyranitar into Darmy or Infernape. Switch Ninetales out...I put more thought into this team than I intended to, didn't I?

Lilligant was sharing her seat in the car with Sawsbuck, but we left him back at the gas station to buy us drinks when he got into a fight with a dragonite and a dual screen deoxys. It didn't look like it was going to end well, so we got out of there. Besides, Lilli is better company than him anyway. Though I do miss him. Nature Power or Jump Kick could have helped me out here, for instance...

Well anyway, it's past heatran's bed time and his babysitter lilligant is going to have to put him to sleep. Unfortunately, Lilli doesn't do lullabies or bed time stories. If he suspects hp ground, then latias is going to sleep. Or celebi, who can't run the sleep fodder route thanks to natural cure.

Start of turn 6
zzazzsdsa123 sent out Skarmory!

Lilligant used Sleep Powder!
The foe's Skarmory fell asleep!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Don't let the bed bugs bite) vs.
@ 100% (Noob. CB Bug bite deals, like, 3 percen-ZZZzz)

Those flying types are always spoiling my fun. Skarmory not playing a role in this battle works for me, since I could do without the hazards on my side of the field. However, skarm is a non-factor, so I would rather have him dead than sleeping. It's time to have Lilli get out of there. In my experience, sleeping pokemon don't switch out at all and wake up the turn right afterwards. This happens with Skarm too often and I get brave birded into oblivion. So I'm gonna switch out instead of chipping away with hp ice. In front of a sleeping metal bird, this is actually a good time for forry to set up my own hazards.

Start of turn 7
Alphatron called Lilligant back!
Alphatron sent out Forretress!

zzazzsdsa123 called Skarmory back!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Impregnable) vs.
@ 88% (Oh hi!)

Dang it alphatron, what part of “Fight like a man” did you not understand? The setup fodder has now come face to face with the setup pokemon, and if I don't do something, this roadtrip will have a pretty bad ending. However, I'm not going to make the same mistake twice. Latias will find that forretress is not such easy prey afterall and she will come to regret her actions. Right after I hide these pointed stones in broad daylight floating in the air.

Start of turn 8

Forretress used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around zzazzsdsa123's team!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Dwayne Johnson is an actor) vs.
@ 69% (I hired a stunt double today!)

Okay. NOW, Latias will come to regret her actions.

Start of turn 9
The foe's Latias used Calm Mind!
The foe's Latias's Sp. Att. rose!
The foe's Latias's Sp. Def. rose!

Forretress used Gyro Ball!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% vs.
@ 75% (Manually unlocking her potential)

I can't use forretress without gyro ball. I am not allowed. Terrakion using you as setup fodder and actually coming face to face with one of the three dragon dance tyranitars running around? Hell no. No more calm mind, and no more subs. No more pink, feathery smiling dragons either.

Start of turn 10

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Getting bored) vs.
@ 56% (So, uh...)

It looks as if my opponent is intent on setting up. Makes sense. There are only eight gyros and twice the number or subs. Also makes sense. When you're hungry, you'll find that a sub is far more filling than a gyro. And in latias' thirst for blood, she can easily stall me out of gyro balls by subbing constantly and roosting off the damage. Or just roosting off the damage. However, that just plays right into my hands. I'll just keep breaking subs until I can put my plan into action. Heh heh...

Start of turn 11

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Hmm?) vs.
@ 37% (Wanna go see a movie or something?)

Yes...the time has come to show that I am not such a bad player after all. Without the health required to generate another substitute while still being healthy, I can safely switch forry out knowing full well that whoever I bring in won't come face to face with the second best move in the entire game. Latias can heal herself for now. Or she can attack. There are four moves that I will always use on forry, simply because I can't go without them. You've seen two of them already. The third, and probably the most important is...!

Start of turn 12
The foe's Latias used Roost!
The foe's Latias landed on the ground!
The foe's Latias regained health!

Forretress used Volt Switch!
The foe's Latias lost 2% of its health!
Alphatron called Forretress back!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Sorry. Got plans) and
@ 100% vs.
@ 93% (Forever alone ;_;)

A move that deals miniscule damage, comes off of forry's pitiful special attack stat, and gets walled by ground type pokemon. Anticlimactic, but what were you expecting? Punishment?

I badmouth volt switch but it makes my life easier. Slow switches into other pokemon while forretress takes a hit have saved the lives of my teammates several times. And with Scarf Darmanitan back in Latias' face, I can pull off an easy U-turn and hopefully kill her. Mind you, I still don't know if Darmy U-turn actually kills at this percent. I'm simply going through the whole game pretending that it's an ohko.

Start of turn 13
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Skarmory!

Darmanitan used U-turn!
The foe's Skarmory lost 4% of its health!
Alphatron sent out Rotom-H!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Turn this thing around) and
@ 100% vs.
@ 83% (Caw Blade)

Skarmory, huh? Well, he can take a U-turn quite well I will admit. However, can he take a volt switch? Or an overheat? Although my opponent switched skarm into a fire type pokemon, he may still be making the mistake of caring about his life. And if that's the case, skarmory is going to switch out into a pokemon who CAN take an overheat or volt switch. Or just volt switch. I won't be using overheat with heatran still around. If my opponent has caught onto my actions so far, he'll see the volt switch coming and will want to stop it short. So switch in Gastrodon. I welcome him with open arms. Come on, switch him in. Go ahead. Do it! DO IT NOW!

Start of turn 14
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Gastrodon!

Rotom-H used Trick!
Rotom-H switched items with the foe's Gastrodon!
Rotom-H obtained one Leftovers!
The foe's Gastrodon obtained one Choice Scarf!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Ain't I a stinkah!) vs.
@ 93% (Damn punks. Damn punks. Damn punks...)

With no thundurus, scarf politoed, etc, rotom-H has little reason to actually carry that scarf anymore. So Gastrodon can have it. I must say, it looks pretty good on him. Just look at it blowing in the wind as Gastrodon moves at the speed of slow. It doesn't really matter to me what Gastro does now. Lilligant can switch in and take advantage of his locked move. If that locked move is ice beam, I'd be out on my ass. Ice beam doesn't ohko though.

Start of turn 15
Alphatron called Rotom-H back!

The foe's Gastrodon used Toxic!
Lilligant was poisoned!

The sunlight is strong!
Lilligant is hurt by poison!

@ 93% (Lovely weather we're having) vs.
@ 93% (Damn punks)

This is even better than Ice beam. With both a life orb and poison, lilli won't be living as long as she normally would. No matter, she doesn't need to live forever. She just needs to live long enough. Last time, I switched lilligant out right away in fear of heatran. But that didn't lead to anything. So lilligant can stay in. I've asked her to treat anyone who comes up to her with the utmost respect. Save for Latias. She can give that bitch the cold shoulder.

Start of turn 16
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Latias!

Lilligant used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Latias lost 46% of its health!
Lilligant is hurt by its Life Orb!
LightBringer stopped watching the battle.

The sunlight is strong!

@ 70% (Putting you on ice) vs.
@ 40% (Yeah, well screw you too)

Stealth rock proves why it's the best move in the game, showing me what would have happened to lilligant had latias had full health. I recall another time where it would have helped me when I used a STAB psychic on a conkeldurr and it lived with less than 6% of it's health.

With my opponent clinging to his beloved ally, I think I can safely call the double switch here and bring in a pokemon who is weak to psychic, has crap defenses, and doesn't resist dragon. Gotta keep that momentum in my favor, you know? Come on heatran, let's do this.

Start of turn 17

Pointed stones dug into the foe's Heatran!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 70% (Gonna solo Iron Forgeman quest) vs.
@ 93% (Type advantages do exist afterall!)

The ladies go their seperate ways as the big boys come in to take care of business. Sometimes, it gets a little rowdy on the road and the faint of heart can't make the full trip and turn around to head back home with their tails between their legs. But if heatran is expecting me to chicked out, then he's got another thing coming. I'll be making no u-turns today. That speed bump's going down in a flurry or punching, kicking, biting, and scratching.

Start of turn 18
zzazzsdsa123 sent out Celebi!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Celebi!

Infernape used Close Combat!
The foe's Celebi lost 34% of its health!
Infernape's Defense fell!
Infernape's Sp. Def. fell!

The sunlight is strong!
The foe's Celebi restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

@ 70% (Died in Grenth's footprint. Respawning now) vs.
@ 59% (Sorry heatran. Grass>Fire)

Well. This is embarrassing. Not too sure what to do here. Now that I'm locked into Close Combat, Celebi is free to make mince meat of me. I don't normally do this, but I'll have to switch into Ninetales to scare Celebi out. Hopefully, it does something lame like Thunder Wave or psychic.

Start of turn 19

zzazzsdsa123 called Celebi back!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 87% (Still young) vs.
@ 87% (A roadtrip needs some music)

I completely deserved this. Completely. What part of fighting like a man do I not understand? My opponent had no way of knowing that I was choice locked and assuming such things is usually a one way ticket to losing (Come now. Who here has honestly gone on the damage calculator just to see the difference between an infernape close combat percentage just to see what item he's holding?). Obviously Celebi would switch out of the incoming Flare Blitz so that Heatran could nab the flash fire boost, and then heatran would switch into latias to take the close combat.

I drove the car the wrong way and now I'm headed to the edge of a cliff and into a raging ravine. But it's not over yet. Pokemon matches are all about control. So long as you control the match, you win. It's why blue is considered the best color in all of Magic the gathering. In order to keep my opponent from regaining control, I'll have Ninetales fight heatran. If he goes for the substitute, I'll break it and possibly persuade him from making anymore. This hidden power fighting is normally meant for Tyranitar, but...

Start of turn 20
Ninetales used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Heatran lost 18% of its health!

The foe's Heatran used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Alphatron's team!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 93% (I got the guns) vs.
@ 75% (I got the ganja)

Looks like a specially defensive heatran. In the past, I did calcs with Ninetales EV spread to make sure that I always broke the substitute, so this just enforces it. Why run that route? Because I used to be absolutely horrified of substitute heatran back in the days where I thought sun was just Ninetales, three chlorophyll abusers, a fire type, and dugtrio. Sure, I know better now, but it's an old habit. Since I'm not doing any damage at all, I'll switch out to Rotom-H, who walls everything Heatran is capable of doing. Okay, okay, so Rotom-H can't take a modest choice specs Heatran overheat, I've found out. But he can take specially bulky heatran. Stealth rock is something I could really do without. I'll try to get rid of it later on.

Start of turn 21
Alphatron called Ninetales back!
Pointed stones dug into Rotom-H!

The foe's Heatran used Roar!
Pointed stones dug into Lilligant!
Lilligant was dragged out!

The sunlight is strong!

Crap, this ain't good. No longer in control of the match at all here. Whenever I fight an enemy heatran and it roars in my chlorophyll user, it doesn't bother trying to roar again and will just go for the kill. I don't want that happening, so I'll switch out. Leaf storm and hp ice will most likely do less damage that recover can heal off anyway. Back to Ninetales to take a hit.

@ 75% (Unwelcome Gust) and
@ 52% vs.
@ 81% (Nevermind. Get out of the car)

Start of turn 22
Pointed stones dug into Ninetales!

The foe's Heatran used Roar!
Pointed stones dug into Infernape!
Infernape was dragged out!

The sunlight is strong!

I decide not to switch. It screws me over. I switch and it just helps my opponent. But one of the two members who can put a stop to this situation has decided to take the wheel. There's a time for everything and as much as I want that heatran dead, my opponent seems to want to avoid taking as many chances as I do. I could close combat here. Against celebi at this point, it will net me the 2HKO thanks to stealth rocks. And if 252 hp politoed can't tank them, I don't think Gastrodon has any business doing so either.

However, there's a time for everything; Latias is still alive. I'll u-turn out in hopes of it switching in. Celebi may avoid me since he's hit much harder by u-turn, but I'm not worried about Celebi at all.

Man, what the hell is this? I made this team to dick around with four scouts and Infernape and Darmanitan flare blitz spam (because you can never have enough flare blitz!). I didn't intend for strategy and careful thinking to work it's way into this at all.

@ 68% (Suggestions then?) and
@ 58% (We really must stop meeting like this) vs.
@ 87% (Light up the Night)

Start of turn 23

Infernape used U-turn!
The foe's Gastrodon lost 35% of its health!
Pointed stones dug into Forretress!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 58% (taking a detour) and
@ 100% vs.
@ 52% (Damn punks)

I switched in Forry because Gastrodon cannot hope to harm me too badly. Also, I really need those rocks gone. I was contemplating volt switching out as heatran came back in, but I REALLY need those rocks gone. It's actually pretty amazing how much one's life can be extended by getting rid of floating rocks in the air. If heatran wastes a turn setting them back up, I'll just volt switch back into Infernape or another member.

Start of turn 24

Forretress used Rapid Spin!
The foe's Latias lost 4% of its health!
Forretress blew away Stealth Rock!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 87% (Topman) vs.
@ 34% (You look familiar)

This song and dance again? I'm fine with it as long as you are, woman. Same as before, right?

Start of turn 25

The sunlight is strong!

@ 87% (I don't believe we've met, sorry) vs.
@ 15% (Then where have you been all my life?)

I could say something here, but it would only be in bad taste. Use your imagination to make up my comment for this turn.

Start of turn 26

The foe's Latias lost 39% of its health!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 87% (I'm a female forretress) vs.
@ 32% (Wat?)

I didn't notice this before, but roost over recover? I wanted to needlessly rage at my opponent for this, but I just couldn't do it. With all that I've experienced, pokemon just isn't worth that kind of rage. That, and I wouldn't really be raging. I'd just be typing in all caps with exclamation marks while I stare at a computer screen with a normal expression.

Since my opponent doesn't feel like using substitute to stall out the gyro balls anymore, I think it's time to get out of there. If he goes for the sub now, I'll be pretty annoyed. But I doubt that's going to happen. In the first place, I should have expected Latias to heal up and should not have tried to go for the kill to begin with.

Start of turn 27

The foe's Latias lost 3% of its health!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 87% (Yeah, just ask haxorus. Seeya) and vs.
@ 100% (Never wanted to go on a trip)
@ 79% (...)

How many times have I tried to have Darmanitan U-turn this thing again? I haven't been counting. Umm, third time?

Start of turn 28

Darmanitan used U-turn!
The foe's Skarmory lost 4% of its health!

The sunlight is strong!
Rotom-H restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

@ 100% and
@ 81% (How does an oven only wiegh 0.7 lbs?) vs.
@ 69% (Kill me)

Quick question to the readers. Are warstory writers allowed to reuse comments for turns that repeat themselves? No? Yeah, I thought so. Well, I plan on having Rotom-H actually use Volt Switch this time. My opponent should have learned the first time that gastrodon wouldn't be the greatest switch in, so why would he do it again? Perhaps heatran or latias this time?

Start of turn 29

Rotom-H used Volt Switch!
It had no effect!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 87% (Wish grante-hey!) vs.
@ 46% (Damn punks)

Or my opponent switches in Gastrodon anyway because it's still his best answer to this pokemon. Screw it. Rotom-H can take on Gastro all by himself. Screw the type chart. Screw water being super effective on fire. Time to show my opponent a few more of my “hidden powers.”

Wait, I use hp ice on this rotom-H, not hp grass. Well, now's the wrong time to regret not carrying it. I'm not changing my mind.

Start of turn 30
Rotom-H used Hidden Power!
The foe's Gastrodon lost 16% of its health!

It's super effective!
Rotom-H lost 86 HP! (35% of its health)

The sunlight is strong!

@ 58% (Ice cold oven) vs.
@ 30% (Damn punks)

He outdamages me even though I have his leftovers. Doesn't matter. Another hp ice. On the bright side, I can't get burned.

Start of turn 31
The foe's Gastrodon lost 15% of its health!

It's super effective!
Rotom-H lost 80 HP! (33% of its health)

The sunlight is strong!

@ 31% (Attack of the flying killer kitchen appliance) vs.
@ 15% (Damn punks)

My odd ideals are going to get rotom killed. And while I don't exactly play to preserve the lives of pokemon who aren't named Ninetales at all times, I'm not just going to let Rotom-H die. Lilligant can shrug off a sun nerfed scald and take care of things, also avoiding the burn, since she's poisoned anyway.

Start of turn 32

Lilligant lost 29 HP! (9% of its health)

The sunlight is strong!

@ 37% (Life is but a moment) vs.
@ 15% (Damn punks)

But don't get me wrong. Rotom-H will still be the one to take down Gastrodon in the end. Lilli, you have done well. Kata was right about you. You've been worth using. But now it's time to give your support to one of my other team members. As we drive on, we shall all remember you, in our hearts. ;_;.

Start of turn 33
Lilligant used Healing Wish!
Lilligant fainted!

But there was no target...

The sunlight is strong!

The healing wish came true!
Rotom-H regained health!

@ 0% (A simple grain of sand) and
@ 100% (That slips right through the hourglass) vs.
@ 15% (Damn punks)

Because who doesn't like breaking the rules and playing with seven pokemon. End of the match and I'm up against a heatran when all I've got left is a paralyzed infernape? Nape and Darmi too badly hurt from Flare Blitzing everything in sight? Healing wish. Unsurprisingly, it always pull through. Except for when my target pokemon dies to entry hazards, or is already dead.

Start of turn 34
The foe's Gastrodon lost 14% of its health!
The foe's Gastrodon fainted!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (And slips right through your hand) vs.
0% (Damn...*cough*...punks...) and
@ 75%

And on the bright side, this doesn't give heatran as much of a free switch in as it normally would have. Lilligant would have been hard pressed to take out CM Latias anyway, so I think she's done enough. Heatran will use this turn to set up stealth rocks...again. So I'll take this time to scare him out with Infernape. Again.

Start of turn 35
The foe's Heatran lost 20% of its health!

The foe's Heatran used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Alphatron's team!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (You came to me...) and
@ 58% (Just like a shooting star) vs.
@ 61% (Mother series is badly overrated)

When I originally made this team, I only had two goals in mind. 1) CRUSH THEM! 2) WE EAT!

Wait, that's not right. Let's try this again. 1) Keep sunlight up. 2) Spam flare blitz with Infernape and Darmanitan on everything that isn't completely immune to it. With heatran around, I can't get away with that. Though as much as I want heatran out of the way, my opponent won't even take risks with him. I'll have to force a situation in which he does later on. For now though, I'll u-turn out of whoever dares to show up.

Start of turn 36

Infernape used U-turn!
A critical hit!
The foe's Skarmory lost 9% of its health!
Pointed stones dug into Forretress!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 58% (And now I know) and
@ 75% (What life's all about!) vs.
@ 51% (Just do it. Please.)

The best kinds of critical hits are the ones you don't notice at all. Skarmory decides to switch into a fire type pokemon for the third time this match, resting his head on that shed shell of his (I guess he has a shed shell? I dunno. No one seems to assume that my forretress is carrying one when they don't see leftovers, so...) I'm gonna spin away hazards again and force heatran to either kill me or set them back up. Maybe this time my opponent will catch on to my antics and take a chance with him? Please?

Start of turn 37

Forretress used Rapid Spin!
The foe's Latias lost 5% of its health!
Forretress blew away Stealth Rock!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 75% (Here we go again...) vs.
68% (If at first you don't succeed...)

Heatran? There's no such thing. In this world, there is only setup fodder and those who abuse them. Punishment on forretress has never looked so good before. But I'm not going to complain now. If Latias goes for the sub, I'll break it with gyro ball. If latias goes for the CM, she'll take hefty damage. And if Latias goes for the dragon pulse, I can relax with the knowledge that I have no chance of losing this match. Fortunately, my opponent isn't a bad player.

Start of turn 38

The sunlight is strong!

Forretress @ 75% vs. Latias @ 49%

Blah blah, gyro ball substitute, blah blah volt switch. Blah blah. Blah blah, click the button that says gyro ball and hope for the best.

Start of turn 39

The foe's Latias lost 43% of its health!

The sunlight is strong!

Forretress @ 75% vs. Latias @ 62%

Okay, let's get it together here. More so than a game where you pick the best pokemon and thrown them onto a properly built team to win, pokemon is a game about strategy, prediction, and patience. So long as you're aware of what you're doing, you can win even if you chose something that seemed like an inferior option. Yes, there are exceptions to this. You don't need to name them. Seriously, don't. Don't quote this and mention Unown.

I'm not exactly patient, but I did keep a level head here. If my opponent is going to go for roost again to stall out my balls, then I'll just show that I've got enough balls to keep this going all night loo-

I'll volt switch to Darmanitan on the next roost.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Start of turn 40

The foe's Latias's substitute took the damage!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 75% (Not gonna put up pics for turns like that...) and
@ 100% (This just isn't me) vs.
43%

Whoops. That didn't go as planned. Despite this, I'm still having fun. I'll be having more fun if I win, but I'll have to work for that. Darmanitan will u-turn here, which will smash up that sub. The problem is who do I switch to afterwards? Infernape in case she sets up another substitute? What if she tries to attack? Forry could tank the dragon pulse as I try to mess around with switch ins again. Let's see how this unfolds...

Start of turn 41
Darmanitan used U-turn!
It's super effective!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Feeling depressed) and
75% vs.
24% (Dying isn't so bad)

D=
There's no point in using volt switch as long as the substitute is up. This is my last gyro. After this, we'll be sold out for tonight. I certainly hope that my opponent has not been counting the number of times I've used this move, and that he tries to use roost next turn to stall for the last one. I mean, even a crit gyro ball doesn't ohko. It's not like he has anything to worry about.

Start of turn 42

The sunlight is strong!

@ 75% (Sold out for tonight) vs.
@ 80% (Is that all you have? Pathetic)

Okay. I'm gonna volt switch here. Come on latias, give me the roost. Give me the roost...

Start of turn 43

The sunlight is strong!

@ 75% (Come back tommorow) and
@ 100% (ugh) vs.
@ 61% (You'll be dead tommorow)

But I can still win this. Assuming my opponent believes that my u-turn/volt switch pattern is set in stone, I can u-turn out to Infernape as she sets up another substitute. Since she doesn't carry any special attack Evs, I just have to hope that Infrailnape can survive a dragon pulse and u-turn out afterwards back into Darmanitan. Or she uses Calm Mind, which works in my favor even better as Infernape will take no damage.

Start of turn 44
Darmanitan used U-turn!
It's super effective!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Hey Nape, you ready?) and
@ 58% (Been ready all match) vs.
@ 42% (Hmm?)

Phase one initiated. Now entering phase two of the plan. The plan's success hinges on Infernape actually surviving a dragon pulse, which I'm certain he will. The plan's chances of failure? 6%. Latias can still crit me and Infernape probably will not be able to take that at all. In which case, she will still have a sub up and I'll be out on my ass this match.

Start of turn 45
The foe's Latias used Dragon Pulse!
Infernape lost 151 HP! (51% of its health)

Infernape used U-turn!
It's super effective!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 7% (Our friends hopes and dreams are etched into it's body) and
@ 100% (transforming infinite darkness into light) vs.
48% (You're kidding me...)

Yes! Yes! Infernape pulled through. Believe it or not, this turn actually matters a lot. As far as I'm concerned, Latias will die if it stays in on U-turn. Once again, I don't actually know this, but I'm pretending it's the truth. So heatran can find another opportunity to switch in.

This, my friends, is what I've been waiting for. Darmanitan will use earthquake. If Latias stays in and uses Dragon pulse, then I'm screwed, but if Heatran comes in, I actually stand a chance. Celebi won't switch in at all, due to me spamming U-turn the whole match. And if Skarmory switches in, then I get a free switch to Infernape so long as it doesn't wake up. You see, this is what pokemon is all about. Pokemon isn't about generating on paper picture perfect scenarios in which what you expect will always happen. In my sporadic laddering the past few months, I seem to have forgotten this, assuming that every battler is basically the same person and has the same mentality. Using a team like this has constantly forced me to attempt to outplay my opponent, since I lack switch ins and quick answers to most of the threatening pokemon in the metagame. I like it that way, to be honest.

Start of turn 46

Darmanitan used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
The foe's Heatran lost 49% of its health!
The foe's Heatran fainted!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Unmatched in both heaven and earth) vs.
@ 0% (Hey guys, what's going on in-OH SHI-) and
@ 36%

At long last, this thing is out of my sight. I could have used rock slide, but I didn't want to chance the miss, nor did I want heatran to have any chance of living through it. Actually, I didn't have rock slide at all during this battle; I only had three moves. I removed stone edge when I remembered that rock slide gets the sheer force boost, but never actually added it in.

While heatran may be dead, I still have a problem on my hands. Latias is still alive, and it really didn't matter what I did as she now has a free turn thanks to it. I'll switch out to Rotom-H as fodder for whatever she does, as I don't really need him at this point anymore.

Start of turn 47

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (One machine, equal to the gods!) vs.
@ 42% (Just ignore it...)

This is what, the 47th turn and I still haven't lost to a SubCM latias sweep when she had a partner as good as heatran who is paired with a Celebi? I'd like to think I'm doing something right. I've forced this thing out a few times this match, and I can do it again. HP Ice should be able to break its subs. And to think I was mad at myself for not carrying hp grass earlier...Ha!

Start of turn 48

It's super effective!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Super Galaxy GURREN LAGANN!) vs.
@ 98% (-_-;;)

She heals up as I use hp ice, which is fine. I was worried about Calm Mind to be honest. Deep down I'm still wishing that this was a choice specs latios, as he would already be dead. But even deeper down, I wish that I owned a mansion in Wisconsin and was filthy rich.

Start of turn 49

It's super effective!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (We're gonna show you the power...) vs.
@ 79% (Just concentrate hard enough...)

I can keep this up for quite some time. I might come face to face with another substitute, so I'm not going to volt switch yet. Another hp ice coming right up.

Start of turn 50
The foe's Latias used Calm Mind!
The foe's Latias's Sp. Att. rose!
The foe's Latias's Sp. Def. rose!

It's super effective!
The foe's Latias lost 24% of its health!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Had less of an impact that I thought) vs.
@ 61% (No John, you are the setup fodder)

No easy answers Alphatron. Out play the enemy and feel free to take risks every now and then. No Scizor or Escavelier to solve this problem, just find a way to play around it...yeah, that's definitely something a mediocre player like me can pull off.

As we've both seen that hp ice failed to do over 25% damage, latias will now use substitute. Instead of trying to get a high damage roll, I'm just going to volt switch out. To who? The gingerbread man. Who do you think?

Start of turn 51

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% (Get the car started. We're leaving) and
@ 100% vs.
42% (Doesn't matter where you run)

Alright. Darmanitan. Infernape. We're gonna do this again. I pull up to the convenience store, you guys hop out, get inside, and grab the gravitron. In the heart of the gravitron is my very own tachyon capacitor. It can pull the moon out of its orbit. That'll cause tidal waves, big earthquakes, and huge storms. It will create chaos! Destroy everything! And the best part? Oh, the very best part! I'll be the only one who can put the moon back into its orbit with my gravitron.

What does this have to do with the match? A lot. In order to drive up to the convenience store to begin with, I'll have to make a u-turn at this street right here...
I brought in Darmanitan because Latias isn't exactly healthy enough to simply replace her substitute once I break it with U-turn, and she'll have to use roost to heal up. If she heals up, she'll come face to face with an Infernape whom she can easily dispose of. But that will give me a free switch in back to Darmanitan who can then get rid of her on his own. And if she uses substitute again, Infernape's slower u-turn will break it and Darmanitan will stand before a naked latias.

In the chance that Latias messes with me and DOES use substitute anyway, well then I'll smack myself in the head for not simply spamming flare blitz otherwise.

Start of turn 52
Darmanitan used U-turn!
It's super effective!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 100% and
@ 7% (Not dead yet) vs.
@ 98% (I think I messed up calculating her hp somewhere. There's always one poke like that every war story...)

At +1, she can kill Infernape without any worries. But she'll die to Darmanitan U-turn afterwards. And if for some reason she doesn't kill Infernape...well, I've already explained that in the previous comment.

Start of turn 53

Infernape used U-turn!
It's super effective!

The sunlight is strong!

@ 7% (Ha ha!) and
@ 100% vs.
79% (Yeah I definitely screwed up on her hp)

You know, I gave my opponent too little credit. He's switched skarmory into my fire types at least three times this match, and I'm expecting it to happen again. However, he's not switching Skarmory in to tank a u-turn. He's switching Skarmory in to die. It's sleeping and can't accomplish anything against four of my team members. Unlike people who attempt to keep defensive heatran alive vs. rain teams, or players who believe that ferrothorn should be preserved to wall the one thing that can't kill it on sun teams, this guy just wants his skarmory dead. I understand his sentiments and I find this very interesting. So I will do my best to grant thine wish.

Start of turn 54

Darmanitan used Flare Blitz!
It's super effective!
The foe's Skarmory lost 31% of its health!
The foe's Skarmory fainted!
Darmanitan is hit with recoil!

The sunlight is strong!
Alphatron: Saving this log even if I lose
zzazzsdsa123: me 2

@ ??% (Now that's my style!) vs.
@ 0% (Blissey...Is that you?) and
@ ??? (Resistant to fire. I got this, guys)

Skarmory is finished and my opponent switches latias in once more. Resisting flare blitz, latias will try to set up on me again. I'll have to switch darmi out as latias sets up, break its sub again and then u-turn to-

Wait wait wait. Wait just a minute. I'm thinking about this the wrong way and I'm thinking about this way too hard.
The sunlight is strong!
I'm ashamed of myself. Why am I worried about Latias of all things living through a move that 2hkos jellicient? Have I forgotten the golden creed that all users of darmanitan are supposed to stick to? No time for super power! Flare Blitz anyway!

Start of turn 55
The foe's Latias lost 40% of its health!
The foe's Latias fainted!

The sunlight is strong!
zzazzsdsa123 sent out Celebi!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Celebi!

@ ?? (One more for the money!) vs.
@ 0% (I'll be seeing you soon, heatran...) and
47% (We lost, didn't we?)

Darmanitan: “Keep using me, Alphatron”
Alphatron: “Okay”

This battle has come to a close. Good thing too. My mom is yelling at me to get out the basement, go find a job, and throw out the garbage. Darmanitan, let's finish the match with a move that totally could have seen more play this match.

Start of turn 56
It's super effective!
The foe's Celebi lost 47% of its health!
The foe's Celebi fainted!

Alphatron won the battle!
Alphatron: Didn't deserve that win
zzazzsdsa123: nice team

@ ?? (Flare Blitz all game, every game!) vs.
0% (Yep...)

And that's probably the most satisfying end to a pretty tough battle. Once again, I'm questioning why my win quote is something unrelated to my team. I don't even agree with it. I'd rather have the one about Golurk.

Props and Slops

Props:
-Infernape and Darmanitan for being the best of bros.
-Rotom-H for proving to me multiple times since this battle that he is not a worthless protoplasm.
-My opponent for making a non-weather team that doesn't get mauled by weather
-Latios and heatran giving me so much trouble throughout the game
-Lilligant for being the best designed pokemon of fifth generation

Slops:
-Gengar for being murdered by a monkey.
-Skarmory for falling asleep on the job for the whole match
-My opponent for not saccing Celebi alongside skarmory.
-Gallade, for not being on every last one of my teams. ;-;

MVP: To be quite honest, I can't decide.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I remembered you showing a log of this match on the GameFAQs board and I was entertained by it.

Now you added commentary to make it even better. Nice warstory.

Wow. Just wow. I said I liked your other warstories, but that means I'm gonna have to find a better word that describes this battle, which I can't. I really liked it although. Also, I was shouting: " JUST SPAM FLAREBLITZ" the whole time.

One thing though, I suggest writing down the score after a poke has been KO'd. It makes the battle easier to follow'

10/10+luvdisc. Definitely in my top 5 of gen 5 warstories

If you're going to quote that flying man song, at least get the words right.

9/10

just as keikaku...

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
alphatron, you have mastered the art of storytelling. Your story has nice fluidity to it. I also enjoyed the road trip theme!

Great job at outplaying your opponent and eventually taking out Heatran and eventually Latias!

The only complaint is keeping track of health percentages -_-; but that's a minor issue that is compensated many folds by the quality of your storytelling and battle.

Actually this deserves a 10. You deserve credit for using a sun team that doesn't use setup sweepers (forgoing Nasty Plot Ape in favor of his Choice Banded brother for instance).

I told everyone and they say I was crazy!!!1one!
Darmanitan is fucking uncountereable under sun, if you can't keep your sr up you will have a hard time killing it (specially without your own weather)
Anyway this was great, I hope that everyone stop underestimating Sun now, even when I never used it, Sun is very VERY dangerous if used right
PS: I want to ask, why this?

I didn't notice this before, but roost over recover? I wanted to needlessly rage at my opponent for this, but I just couldn't do it.

What's the problem with Roost?, it's basically the same that Recover and it taunt opponents to Earthquake you just to miserably fail as Levitate isn't canceled

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
^ Roost doesn't eliminate Latias's Ground immunity 9.9
EDIT: Yeah, I was agreeing with Charro and rolling my eyes at alphatron, sorry for not being more clear

No, YOU sir are the idiom. amirite

anyways this was an entertaining warstory to read, I was a bit disappointed with your opponent's play (Why Sub on a Forretress ?_?) but I liked the commentary anyways. Great job!
no I do not give numerical scores for warstories

I really liked this, although "Latios" being in place of "Latias" a few times during the commentary (and at the end) was a bit odd, unless you meant to say that.

Edit: Oh nevermind, it was only twice; once on turn 4 and in the props section

Edit #2: I also enjoyed the RBY-Ninetales joke.

yeah, comparing Roost to Recover on Latias is like comparing Agility to Rock Polish on a Metagross (or anyone that can learn both moves, for that matter).

Also, I could use that Glob of Ectoplasm, and I'll help you through Grenth's Footprint. It is a f'kin bitch.
And yeah I lol'd all the way through the commentary (damn punks), and the battle was rather amazing. Luvdisc Ahoy.

I read the warstory and immediately thought the team looked like loads of fun. I'm using and its a great time. Great warstory. Hope you didn't mind me using your team for a while

Edit: Its doing surprisingly well

my good sir, your warstories never cease to entertain me. i know for sure that i'll be using them as a reference when i finally write a warstory of my own :D

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Really great warstory! I'd love to see how this team holds up against a Drizzle team. Keep up the awesome work!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)