Pokémon Drampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drampa

No. 780 - Placid Pokémon (Placid? Urge to make a joke -> rising)

Type:
/

Stats:

HP: 78
Atk: 60
Def: 85
SpA:135
SpD: 91
Speed: 36

Berserk: Boosts the Pokémon's Sp. Atk stat when it takes a hit that causes its HP to become half or less. (If the HP falls below half due to indirect damage, such as one caused by Leech Seed, status conditions or weather, Berserk won't activate.) /Bulbapedia

Explanation: Every time a Pokemon with Berserk goes from above 50% to below 50% by taking damage from the enemy Pokemon, Berserk triggers. This is the ONLY check for Berserk. If you heal up above 50%, you can trigger it again.

If you drop below 50% by any way that isn't direct damage from your opponent (Sticky Barb, status damage, recoil, Pain Split, etc) you can't trigger Berserk unless you go above 50% and then are hit by direct damage below 50% again. (Smog Research Battle Mechanics)

Sap Sipper: Attack is raised by one stage when the Pokémon is hit by a Grass-type move. User receives no damage from Grass-type attacks.
Hidden Ability (Available):
Cloud Nine: All weather effects are negated while the Pokémon is on the field.

Level-Up

Start Play Nice
Start Echoed Voice
5 Twister
9 Protect
13 Glare
17 Light Screen
21 Dragon Rage
25 Natural Gift
29 Dragon Breath
33 Safeguard
37 Extrasensory
41 Dragon Pulse
45 Fly
49 Hyper Voice
53 Outrage

Technical Machines:

TM01 Work Up
TM02 Dragon Claw
TM04 Calm Mind
TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM19 Roost
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM35 Flamethrower
TM38 Fire Blast
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM51 Steel Wing
TM52 Focus Blast
TM53 Energy Ball
TM56 Fling
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM68 Giga Impact
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM76 Fly
TM77 Psych Up
TM78 Bulldoze
TM80 Rock Slide
TM82 Dragon Tail
TM86 Grass Knot
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Surf
TM95 Snarl
TM96 Nature Power
TM100 Confide

Breeding:

Egg Hurricane
Egg Dragon Rush
Egg Razor Wind
Egg Mist
Egg Play Rough

Tutor:

Tutor Draco Meteor

Overview:

Not to be mistaken for a Dunsparce MeVo, this chill Dragon has all the moves in the world it even learns FLY! Imagine a 135 SpA base stat with all the attacking moves you can think of coming from both a rich Normal type and Dragon movepool, not too shabby defenses and a typing that resists Elec, Fire,Grass and Water with immunity to Ghost (and Grass if you really want to). It also has a nice trio of abilities, the first being an exclusive which raises it's SpA when hit by the enemy and HP falls down 50%, with the possibility of being triggered over and over again with reliable recovery. Sap Sipper makes it immune to spore, leech seed and an extra grass immunity while Cloud Nine makes weather disperse, should you find Hail, Sand or Rain to be bothersome. It's speed though is right down there as almost nil with nothing to increase it and no motive to do so it is best to either rely on CM boosts or use trick room, let's get on with it shall we?

Movesets:

Calm Dragon

Drampa @ Leftovers/Weakness Policy
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- Hyper Voice/Flame Thrower

What you are aiming here is for maximum bulk while fishing for Berserk boosts and calm minding until you can sweep what remains of the enemy forces. Dual Stab is the way to go here, unless you are afraid of a certain Ghost/Fairy that shall not be named, Dragon Pulse is a steady powerful move and Hyper Voice can hit substitutes as well. Leftovers is there to aid recovery while Weakness Policy allows you to benefit from an opponent direct damage and get boosts faster.

Chill Room

Drampa @ Life Orb/Choice Specs/Normalium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 HP / 4 Def
Queit Nature
- Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Ice Beam/Calm Mind/Extra Sensory
- Thunder Bolt/Fire Blast/Focus Blast

As the name suggests, this is for use with a trick room setter. Unfortunately it does not learn it by itself, but once someone else sets it, this Dragon is weapon of mass destruction. Along with its STABs, you have your choice of coverage to round up the opposing field or continue to boost further. Items can be choosen depending on whether you want freedom to switch, repeatdly abusing STABs or firing a one off nuke.

Surfing Grandpa

Drampa @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper/Berserk
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 HP / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf/Roost/Substitute
- Thunder/Thunder Bolt
- Hurricane

It learns Hurricane? Well why not, just put thunder and surf in there and abuse rain and have a nice ability to handle the grass mons going after your precaious. We are keen to have STAB in there and not got carried away with roost a good option if you choose Berserk or do your attacking from behind a sub.

Last edited:
It's definitely an odd Pokemon in terms of statistics and design...not sure how this thing will do. Movepool is outstanding, as it has a great STAB combination in Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse and Hyper Voice, along with very good coverage, including Ice Beam/Blizzard, Thunderbolt/Thunder, Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball/Grass Knot, Focus Blast, Surf, Hurricane, Extrasensory and even has Snarl. That's over half of the types including it's STAB, in which it has special attacks from, which is absurd. I'm really excited to use this thing whatever tier it lands in.

Last edited:
I think Assault Vest Sap Sipper set sounds like a decent option here. It has passable special bulk and good SpA with movepool which grants what you need to hit stuff back. He desperately need some sort of addition to his bulk, so I think this is what he needs. Not a fan of Berserk myself on something with mediocre bulk like his. And it's waaay too slow to even use Calm Mind with good effect.

I think Assault Vest Sap Sipper set sounds like a decent option here. It has passable special bulk and good SpA with movepool which grants what you need to hit stuff back. He desperately need some sort of addition to his bulk, so I think this is what he needs. Not a fan of Berserk myself on something with mediocre bulk like his. And it's waaay too slow to even use Calm Mind with good effect.
Woukln't that set be outclassed by Goodra?

Woukln't that set be outclassed by Goodra?
Drampa has higher SpA (25 is significant difference), different typing (Ghost immunity is sweet in this meta) and Sap Sipper granting Drampa another immunity, while Goodra has none, although Goodra is bulkier with it. I think it's different enough to consider over Goodra, but honestly I would still pick Goodra in most cases. I just try to find use for it and I think Assault Vest in my book is best bet, but it's still nowhere near OU material and it may not even be UU.

EDIT Agent Gibbs: Fair enough, it's just that for Calm Mind set this is sooo slow even for outspeeding some walls. Just not a fan. Bulky Roost is probably doable though.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend an Assault Vest on a Pokemon with Roost. The extra special bulk may be good short term, but Roost + Leftovers, will make Drampa much more durable in the long run. Besides, as already mentioned, Goodra just does that set better with way more special bulk, more speed, a good Atk stat, and no Fighting weakness (Ghost immunity sounds great until you realize that Aegislash's Sacred Sword, Gengar's Focus Blast, Mimikyu's Play Rough, etc. still hit you really hard). Also, Goodra does get Sap Sipper, so Drampa doesn't even have that going for it. Even then, Goodra's not that good anyway. If you really want to use Drampa, you need to focus on the things that Goodra can't do, like heal with Roost and maybe boost with Calm Mind.

That special move pool is really nice. Though that god awful speed means literally anything can outspeed it and revenge kill it. Normal/Dragon defensively is not good. Being weak to 4 extremely common offensive types along with meh bulk and zero speed means Drampa will struggle to do anything relevant in the higher tiers. A shame really because Drampa has a nice, colorful design.

Looks fairly good on TR. Not great considering the weakness to Mach Punch and Ice Shard. Zero priority means that it's a pure sitting duck once TR ends. The Calm Mind set looks to be massively outclassed by other Calm Mind users with superior D-typing, much higher speed and / or bulk.

If Drampa had salvageable speed, I was thinking about Salac Endure with Berserk. A rather gimmicky, but decent set to take advantage of Drampa's great Sp.Atk stat and excellent coverage. But alas, 36 speed is far from usable.

Can see this easily dropping to NU or even PU.

It surprises me how little attention Drampa has been getting. This thing's got a godlike movepool, hits hard and even has recovery to top it all off!

Calm Mind definitely works, but it's very vulnerable to status, so I like having Lum Berry on it, but the passive recovery from Leftovers is always really nice to have. STAB + Fire Blast works pretty nicely as dual move coverage. BoltBeam's also pretty solid on this set especially with so many Mantine and Toxapex around.

My favorite set is probably Roost + 3 Attacks right now.
Drampa @ Life Orb / Expert Belt / Dragonium Z / Normalium Z
Ability: Berserk / Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice / Draco Meteor
- Surf / Thunderbolt

This set can afford to run speed creep on base 60s and takes advantage of that gorgeous strong coverage. Still has moderate bulk to boot. Life Orb's most consistent on it, but Z crystals have more longevity than Life Orb and can take out weakened walls in emergencies. Dragonium Z is particularly useful since it's not affected by Draco Meteor's SpA drops.

I'd like to try a Glare set in the future to increase its overall utility. Drampa could be a real sleeper I think.

With that incredible movepool I feel like Drampa would be the perfect recipient of Defense boosts. Drampa would run Roost and Calm Mind to become a specially bulky yet hard hitting monster augmented passed Acid Armor or Cotton Guard. Done at the right time, Drampa will probably be able to live an attack after getting a Calm Mind and Roost. And at this point you have +2 on Def, +1 on Sp. Def, and +2 on Special Attack while (hopefully) being at 75% health from there. At this point, either launch an attack, Calm Mind, or Roost again as you see fit. If you get going the only things that'll stop you are phazers and Pokemon that wall your two moves of choice. The main challenges I'd see pulling this off would be finding a good passer (good Def. passers aren't common) and making sure stuff that would break the sweep are removed. But with the right support this could do a lot of work in the late game.

I am new here and not experienced in Smogon theorycraft so if this sounds silly go easy on me.

Looking at Drampa, the big limitation that stood out to me was it's speed. The second thing I noticed is that he has all the moves that are really awesome under Rain. I decided to try out using a kinda gimmicky combination with Tailwind Pelipper for funsies.

Drampa (M) @ Dragonium Z/Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Surf

Under Tailwind this thing outspeeds fully invested base 120s, and can proceed to fire off incredibly strong moves off it's monstrous special attack with fantastic coverage. It can also often take one hit and get the Berserk boost. You only get a couple of turns to do something with it before the Tailwind peeters out, but very often I found something was going to die, and quite often two things were. Draco Meteor also goes especially well with it as you won't be staying in for more than a couple of turns anyway. Dragonium Z Draco Meteor can potentially be used to one shot almost anything, especially after a Berserk boost. It's sweeping lifespan is very limited, but it's near guaranteed to punch some massive holes in the enemy team during it's minute of glory. Fun stuff.

I've thought of a gimmicky set for ubers:

Grandpa Drampa @ Life Orb
Cloud Nine
252 HP / 120 Def / 4 SpA / 124 SpD
Modest
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Glare
- Thunder Wave / Roost / Toxic

You could slap a Focus Sash on it for this purpose I guess.
And what is it? To OHKO Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence and Mega Gengar while surviving their hits in a 1 vs 1 no boosts scenario.

4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Surf vs. 152 HP / 44 SpD Groudon-Primal: 499-593 (131.6 - 156.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 374-442 (92.8 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (maybe not dead but mostly so for the defensive purpose)
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Drampa: 276-325 (76.6 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Dragon Tail vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Drampa: 184-218 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Salamence-Mega: 569-671 (162.1 - 191.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Salamence-Mega: 569-671 (144.7 - 170.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Salamence-Mega: 400-476 (101.5 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (lol?)
252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Drampa: 304-358 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gengar-Mega: 270-320 (103.4 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar-Mega Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Drampa: 304-358 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gengar-Mega: 270-320 (83.3 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO while
0 SpA Gengar-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Drampa: 147-174 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (so Bulky Trapper really needs Focus Blast to 2HKO, but I guess Life Orb recoil can kill you)

Also Glare + Thunder Wave allows mind games as no one likes to be paralyzed.
Of course Maga Gengar has other tools like Substitute and the like, I'm not taking this too seriously.

Just gimmicky, and dies to Recoil but still better than Golduck :P
Stealth Rocks are off here, still you can tailor to have the EVs where you need them and not in this all-in-one lol-killer spread. Drampa is then able to survive the hits better and not die to recoil.

Last edited:
I've thought of a gimmicky set for ubers:

Grandpa Drampa @ Life Orb
Cloud Nine
252 HP / 120 Def / 4 SpA / 124 SpD
Modest
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Glare
- Thunder Wave / Roost / Toxic

You could slap a Focus Sash on it for this purpose I guess.
And what is it? To OHKO Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence and Mega Gengar while surviving their hits in a 1 vs 1 no boosts scenario.

4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Surf vs. 152 HP / 44 SpD Groudon-Primal: 499-593 (131.6 - 156.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Surf vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 374-442 (92.8 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (maybe not dead but mostly so for the defensive purpose)
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Drampa: 276-325 (76.6 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Dragon Tail vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Drampa: 184-218 (51.1 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Salamence-Mega: 569-671 (162.1 - 191.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Salamence-Mega: 569-671 (144.7 - 170.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Salamence-Mega: 400-476 (101.5 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO (lol?)
252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Drampa: 304-358 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gengar-Mega: 270-320 (103.4 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Gengar-Mega Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Drampa: 304-358 (84.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4+ SpA Life Orb Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gengar-Mega: 270-320 (83.3 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO while
0 SpA Gengar-Mega Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Drampa: 147-174 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (so Bulky Trapper really needs Focus Blast to 2HKO, but I guess Life Orb recoil can kill you)

Also Glare + Thunder Wave allows mind games as no one likes to be paralyzed.
Of course Maga Gengar has other tools like Substitute and the like, I'm not taking this too seriously.

Just gimmicky, and dies to Recoil but still better than Golduck :P
Stealth Rocks are off here, still you can tailor to have the EVs where you need them and not in this all-in-one lol-killer spread. Drampa is then able to survive the hits better and not die to recoil.
Question: Why run both Glare and T-Wave? Glare can paralyze Ghosts (unless that changed this Gen), so unless you're afraid of a Cursed Body activation or an Imprison set, just Glare should be enough.

I don't know if this is still a thing, but it does get Nature Power, which turns to Tri Attack in the multiplayer arena if memory sevres me right, so that can be seen as an alternate Normal STAB option, sacrificing 10 power for those status conditions chance.

Probs not gonna see any usage over Hyper Voice though, just thought I'd mention it.

Probs not gonna see any usage over Hyper Voice though, just thought I'd mention it.
It bypasses Substitute, so yeah it's preferable over a chance to get something.
But still you might use it in place of thunder wave or something. Tri Attack sounds like a Normal-type Scald, but it can burn/paralyze/freeze.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is still a thing, but it does get Nature Power, which turns to Tri Attack in the multiplayer arena if memory sevres me right, so that can be seen as an alternate Normal STAB option, sacrificing 10 power for those status conditions chance.

Hyper Voice goes through Subs, which is especially valuable given Drampa's pitiful speed, but Nature Power can potentially give it extra coverage by turning into Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Moonblast, or Psychic (though they can sometimes be redundant) and it messes with Sucker Punch, though the latter would only really be useful with Trick Room, as it's unlikely the opponent will have to use priority on something this slow.

This thing will see very decent usage in OU... great movepool and workable stats make this thing very versatile. I could see this thing running CM, Parashuffle, Utility... it's going to very interesting to see on teams.

This thing should be getting more attention. The Calm Mind set is insane. It sets up very easily, tanks attacks fairly well, and with roost + berserk you can easily take something out. This thing will definitely do much better in UU where theres no Fini/Lele.

Heres a replay, nothing special mind you (I keep forgetting to switch Alola-Muk for a ground resist):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankuualpha-507958291

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)