SM Doubles OU Doubles UU Team: Gigie and the Regis (First RMT!)

=== Gigie and the Regis ===

/
/
/
/
/

Hello Y'all! Sorry if this doesen't looks as good as the other RMTs, its my first time doing this after all. Ok, so... I've been using this team for a while now, with the main intent being giving some love to the often excluded legendary titans. The team first began with an attempt to make Regigigas at least a bit viable. However, after a short while using the OG team, I decided to add the other Regis as well. It has been a blast to tank all of those hits and still come out winning, but I am struggling to make much progress with it. So, I would like to request some help from you guys.

Team Breakdown:

Regigigas @ Normalium Z
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Giga Impact
- Drain Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake

As said before, Regigigas was the main driving force behind the creation of the team, as he is my favorite legendary and I feel that it is contantly frowned upon by the community due to its admittedly crippling ability. Its main role in the team is to act as the big destructive force, having Slow Start removed early on due to Worry Seed, and then procedding to wreak havoc on the opposing team with Earthquake, and seting up with Power-Up Punch. Drain Punch is there so it can provide some sort of recovery to the colossal titan in case it needs it, and giga impact (Along with STAB Breakneck Blitz) is used for quickly dispatching Flying types or more frail mons setting up in one fell swoop, or at least, damage them to the point of fainting due to other attack.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 Def
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide (Doubles)/Counter (Singles)
- Curse
- Stealth Rock

Regirock acts as the physcally defensive menber of the group, tanking hits of ground, steel and fighting types, and then counter-attacking accordingly. Stone edge serves as the main damaging attack, as it has STAB and high critical hit rate. Rock slide is basically stone edge for doubles, as it functions as a regular damage output for Regirock to dish out. Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock, nothing very new here. Counter works as a tool to punish greedy Steel and Fighting mons. Finally, curse serves as a way to boost both attack and defense, which are The Rock's most proeminent stats, at the cost of speed, which is not really THAT useful for it.

Regice @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SpA / 240 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hail
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt

Regice's main role on the team is to act as a specially defensive wall, along with shutting down flying, ground and grass types. Hail is probably Vannilla Ice's main tool, used along with Ice Body and Leftovers to supply Regice with a constant supply of regenerating health, along with seting up to use both Aurora Veil and Blizzard. Aurora Veil is used to give Ice boi and his brothers with even more defense, making them walking castles of pain. Blizzard is used along with hail to shower the other team with constant, unrelenting damage. Finally Thunderbolt is used to shut down water types trying to rain on his icy parade (Literally).

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 HP / 4 Atk / 136 Def / 160 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Seismic Toss

Registeel is the main stalling/defensive force of the group (Along with sableye), crippling its opponents with Toxic and Thunder wave, then following up with protect and seismic toss. Toxic, coupled with Registeel's amazing 150 Defense and Special Defense manages to be a deadly combination. Thunder Wave is really just used as a setup to continuosly use seismic throw on toxic-resitant mons. Seismic Toss is used for bringing down those pesky Steel Types that cannot be poisoned, or to just have a reliable source of damage for Metalface. Protect serves as the main stalling tool, and to win another turn of leftovers.

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Worry Seed
- Giga Drain
- Glare

Serperior's main role on the team is to get Regigigas out of Slow Start as soon as possible, and if it manages to survive the first turn, go on to leech seed and paralyze all of those who stands on its and Regigigas' way. Worry seed is mainly used for supressing Slow Start, but it can also be used to remove annoying abilities from the battle. Leech Seed is used as a pressure tool to make switch-in happen, allowing Regigigas to attack freely. Glare is used to paralyze possible threats to the colossal titan, and finally, Giga Drain's purpose is to serve as some kind of last resort for Serperior.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Night Shade

Mega Sableye is meant to be used a staller/physical attack crippler, since those are probably the biggest menace to the Legendary Titans. Toxic is used as a basic stalling tool, and to help defeating tougher, bulkier foes. Will-o-wisp is used to cripple physiscal attackers, making them unable to cause too much harm to the regis; this, combined with aurora veil reduces physical damage to a minimun. Recover is used for well... recovery! Finally, Night Shade is used as an reliable attack so Sableye isn't completely helpless when being attacked.

So... This is it! I would love to hear you guys' opinion on how to improve the team, since i'm kinda new to competitive. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
This is doubles UU, not singles UU. You might want to change your tag to Doubles and then mark your title as UU.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi Gentlemaniac! I recognise that this is a theme team of sorts, based around trying to get Regigigas and the other Regis to work, so I won't make an attempt to change it and I'll say that it's approximately as good as a team with this task can get (maybe Mega Latias over Mega Sableye, some moveset optimisations, more offensive Regice, etc.).

However, since you did mention that you're struggling to make progress with the team, I'll point out some reasons why this could be the case.
  • The core gimmick (Worry Seed + Regigigas) is not very good. It's easily disruptable via Prankster Taunt (Thundurus), redirection (Togekiss), Fake Out (Hitmontop et al.), and even once Regigigas has Slow Start removed, it's not particularly strong. As you may have experienced, it tends to deal somewhere in the realm of 50-70% to most Pokemon, depending on how bulky they are, and gets easily chipped in return.
  • The rest of the team similarly struggles with damage output. While your Pokemon can take hits, they don't have particularly notable offensive stats to deal damage. This means you're at a disadvantage from the start, since dealing damage is what actually wins battles.
As I mentioned above, I won't make a huge attempt to alter this team, since I'm not sure I could do much within the constraints it's imposed on itself. I will, however, direct you to the Doubles UU megathread - it contains a lot of useful information and resources, including Sample Teams, which you can use to get a feel of what running a really good team is like, and Viability Rankings, which are good for seeing what the top Pokemon in DUU are (each listing also comes with a sample set of how it's commonly run). People have also been posting their own teams in the thread (there's a ton somewhere in the middle of page 7), so hopefully you can get a sort of overall feel of what the DUU metagame is really like.

Hope some of this helps! Feel free to reply to this post or drop me a message if you'd like more help.

You could run a tag Mon with Simple Beam instead of Worry Seed, that could help with Regigigas's Power-up Punch!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)