Doubles Research BiWeek #1: Mew, Celebi, Keldeo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Introduction
Doubles is quite possibly the most versatile tier, where countless Pokemon are feasible and previously overlooked Pokemon like Blastoise can stand up against the likes of Darkrai. That is, in fact, the purpose of this project — to encourage the use of less-used Pokemon. Who knows? These underused Pokemon may be "discovered" and might become metagame-shaping forces!

Some rules
  • Be open-minded. Don't just say something is terrible and walk away; at least look into them and see what options they may be able to utilize.
  • Feel free to theorymon, but make it clear that you are theorymonning. At the end of the group, however, I want discussion to move towards how useful the Pokemon actually are in Doubles, and what sets are effective on them.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's quite possible that something might have gone unnoticed or is missing.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon we choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. We'd like discussion to stay on topic about the 4 Pokemon we are "researching". If you want to suggest something, send a forum Private Message to me. Also, Pokemon from past research weeks might be used again simply because the metagame may have changed since this project was last brought about.
Which Pokemon are we Researching?

Mew

Mew has been around since Gen I, and is indubitably one of the most versatile Pokemon around (losing out only to Smeargle, perhaps). Yet in spite of its plethora of movepool options, Mew finds itself being used sparingly, as it is often outclassed in single roles it takes on.

Celebi

Another 600 BST legendary not allowed in VGC, Celebi finds itself struggling to keep up amongst a multitude of better Grass-types no matter which role it tries to pick. With its arguably superior typing, however, could it find a spot among the echelons of the favored Grass-types?

Keldeo

While Keldeo is a devastating force in OU, it often has difficulties keeping up in Doubles, where Swift Swimmers emerge from their ban and work in tandem with Politoed to monopolize the Water-type market. Despite its inferior ability, however, could it use its great secondary Fighting STAB to stay ahead of the rest?

Questions to consider when posting here

How useful are these Pokemon in Doubles? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #doubles as well!

The Research Week Challenge

• Users will use any number of the research group candidates on their team
  • Users will attempt to reach as high as possible on the ladder with the Pokemon. Breaking past the 2050 Glicko2 mark on the ladder with your registered alt will earn you 5 points. Crossing the 1950 Glicko2 mark will secure you 3 points while a rating of 1850 glicko2 will earn you 1 point. Post a screen-shot of your peak in order to achieve this, and a pastebin of your team. You must also have a deviation of 85 or less for points to be awarded.
  • Users will be expected to post their experiences with the Pokemon they use, the teams they used, the problems they encountered while trying to make the said Pokemon work. Exceptional posting will earn you an extra 2 points.
  • In order to participate in the challenge, simply post here with a brand new alt. Post battle logs, experiences with your team on the ladder, and generally how a Pokemon has worked out for you: past or present.
  • The Hall of Fame will be on the Doubles hub soon; look forward to seeing your name imprinted there!
Additional Challenges

Looking for an extra challenge, or maybe just interested in more points? We've put together some extra challenges to provide more of a challenge! Conquer any of these challenges by reaching at least 1950 Glicko2 on the ladder with these sets and writing a short analysis of your choices to gain another 3 points!
---

Create and test an offensive set and explain what advantages this set has over other more conventional offensive Pokemon.
---

Create and test a set that utilises a stat-boosting move. Explain why this move is a good choice for a moveslot on Celebi.​

Hall Of Fame

Once you've reached certain point thresholds, you may be eligible for the Hall Of Fame! Below are the different categories of the Hall Of Fame you can enter, together with records of those who have managed to enter its ranks.

Diamond Rank - 13 points
~
Pokemon used:

10 points (2050 glicko2 x 2)
1 points (additional challenge)
2 points (Exceptional posting)

Gold Rank - 7 points
~
Pokemon used:

10 points (2050 glicko2 x 2)

Silver Rank - 5 points
~
Pokemon used:

3 points (1950 glicko2)

Bronze Rank - 3 points
~

So how do I sign up?

Simply post below in the following format:
Pokemon Showdown! Username: mr. alt
Hall of Fame Standing: none
Research Week Pokemon Currently Working With: Mew
Current Ladder Standing: none yet!

Good luck, and have fun!

Wait, this is your 1k post isn't it?
Yes, yes it is.​
@Its_A_Random: for creating the thread that allowed me to integrate into Smogon ^_^
@Jimera0, @shinyskarmory, @King Serperior: Somehow I don't remember any names from the SC thread other than yours??
@Jellicent: /me huggle Jellicent ~(^.^)~ Also thanks for approving my mod nom in under a minute.
@sandshrewz: /me pet sandz ^_^ :p :eek:!! sad to see you go ;-; thanks for putting up with all my whining about hax / whining about school / whining about everything u_u! n_n
@Pocket: Thanks for creating Doubles so I actually have something to do on Smogon!!
@The Immortal: yay The Immortal!
If I forgot to mention you, feel free to hit me / shout at me in a VM. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pokemon Showdown! Username: blank_dubs_research
Research Week Pokemon Currently Working With: Mew, Keldeo, Celebi in different pairings and teams
Current Ladder Standing: none

Laddering username: colonial overlord
Hall of Fame: none
Working with: Celebi because I've never used it before
Ladder standing: none

Pokemon Showdown! Username: sir pootsalot (or something to that effect)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Come on Level 51, I was a Scrambler too :(

I'll perhaps make a better response later, but right now I'm at work (first I go to college, then I get a job? What is this world coming to?). I personally don't see any reason to use Celebi outside of very niche reasons though (e.g. using it over Cress on a Rain-weak team).

I'd sign up, but alts are for the weak.

I can't get Celebi to work yet; it's like Mew but without all the cool stuff like Fake Out, Will-o-Wisp, Snarl etc.

I personally don't see any reason to use Celebi outside of very niche reasons though (e.g. using it over Cress on a Rain-weak team).
Even in that case I'd just slap Sunny Day on my Cresselia set. Honestly, Celebi's bulk is really undermined by having seven different weaknesses.

Last edited:
Well, I'm p. busy, but in case I have the time:

PS Username: Researcher Nollan
Hall of Fame Standing: Nub Rank
Current Ladder Standing: Very Low

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: soap star joe

Pokemon Showdown! Username: MewPony
Research Week Pokemon Currently Working With: Keldeo and Mew
Current Ladder Standing: hovering around 1800 ACRE; over 1850 Glicko2 with a low deviation+will screenshot later

First impressions: Keldo wishes it had Muddy Water and usually prefers to be attacking that using Protect. However, its movepool is rather shallow and it would appreciate something other than HP/Icy Wind to hit Dragon, Grass and Water types. It is too frail to be running around with wimpy coverage moves in doubles where KOs are even more crucial.
That said, Water Gem Hydro Pump(or rain/helping hand) WRECKS! Frail resists are OHKO'd as anyone from OU should know and with 108 base speed, you can decimate offensive threats to slow the opponent's pace down.
Secret Sword allows you to have a fast Fighting STAB that isn't neutered by burn or Intimidate. It is mostly outclassed as a Taunt and/or Icy Wind user, but the options are there.
I do not believe it is outclassed by Kingdra based solely on the level of power. Keldeo gets those speedy OHKOs that you need in doubles, it just doesn't have many viable options outside of Hydro Pump.

Mew's fast Fake Out isn't so cool low on the ladder where Rage Powder and Fake Out are uncommon-ish since its biggest draw is outspeeding them to make them useless.

Here is the offensive Mew set I have been running.

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Roost

Edit: Changed Roost>Dark Pulse and Psychic>Psyshock. The added power is nice and Roost is helpful in a lot of niche situations. Fire Blast>Flamethrower is kept for Ferrothorn and being a powerhouse against Sun teams.
Psychic+Fire coverage is fine for my purposes. Tyranitar, Dragons and Heatran are the only huge problems and I would rather use something other than Mew to deal with them anyway(Keldeo and Latios are on the team).

How to wreck with Keldeo:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-49711999

Last edited:

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to just work with Mew for now.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: mewem
Current Ladder Standing: none

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok lemme @ dem points now

here's the mewtility set i used on my team

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SDef / 108 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Helping Hand
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

i was complainin about mew on #doubles a few times but tbh it has actually been p. cool. some times i wish i had cress, mostly against faster teams were cress's bulk would come in handy. however, this set did have some really cool things on cress. outspeeds breloom and can ohko which was really nice, taunt gobbles trick room and will-o-wisp lets you cripple alot of physical attackers that you normally wouldn't be able to hit like ttar and metagross and such. don't get me wrong though, even against faster paced teams though mew still did some good work (helped me take down a deo-a which was hugely threatening so that was cool). i'd say taunt is the main draw > cresselia since it means that you shut down tr, shut down amoonguss, shut down alot of annoying things. synchronize isn't hugely useful really but if you get hit by t-wave or a scald burn or something putting the status back on your oppponent is p. cool too. i think this moveset is probably the best one on average for mew (w/ maybe like feint > wow or snarl > wow if you really wanted it). fake out is an amazing move and all, but for the most part i'd rather leave it to another poke. it's hugely versatile though and has some great stats across the board so it can really be tailored to a team in a way that even cresselia can't match. altho if your team doesnt need that level of tailored support you're usually better off just using cress.

on youngjake's set, i'd say flamethrower > fblast just cuz you're still getting all the same kos while not risking a miss which is p. important imo. also:

252+ SpA Mew Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Cresselia: 108-128 (24.32 - 28.82%) -- possible 5HKO

so yeah i'd get rid of that too (you could hit chandy w/ it i guess but it wouldn't be too good otherwise). i'd say either ice beam, thunderbolt, or like hp ground/rock in the last slot (ground hits tran while rock hits volc) or protect ofc but if you're running that you should probably get rid of fake out since you'll be walled by so much stuff w/ psychic + fire coverage. I don't really think I'd run just like offensive mew since it doesnt have the surprise value an offensive cress can have, but an offensive support set could be cool (like 2 Atks + Taunt/HH/Tailwind or something)

edit:
Abomasnow @ Grass Gem
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 64 HP / 124 Atk / 68 Def / 252 SAtk
Brave Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Protect

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SDef / 108 Spd
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Helping Hand
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Light Screen
- Protect

Hitmontop @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Wide Guard

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 178 HP / 252 SAtk / 78 Spd
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the amazing contributions, youngjake93 and Audiosurfer! That Rain Dance Latios & Keldeo was a cute combo you got going. Latios is indeed a useful partner that provides additional Dragon / Psychic coverage to get past Amoonguss and Dragon-types. Keldeo, in turn, eliminates Steel-types for Latios ;d

If you have Amoonguss, you may want to consider Calm Mind on Keldeo somewhere. Manectric, Thundurus-T, or Chople Kyurem(-B), are cool teammates to deal with Tornadus, Thundurus, and Jellicent. A check to Cresselia and Latios would also come in handy, too

Cool Mew set, Audiosurfer. Your replays highlighted the effectiveness of the SubTran + Hitmontop combo more than Mew's utility, though xD That Heatran did work!

Oh good post Pocket!
I suppose Manetric could work better in that Skymin slot. And I didn't think of Calm Mind, but great suggestion. I was running Taunt and Protect which both saw seldom niche use(Keldeo would rather be doing other things), but a CM boost would probably let me destroy everything. I could score some free ones on opposing Protects too.
The Amoonguss and Rain Dance were primarily supporting Deoxys-A btw and the rest of the team loved to borrow the support. I used lots of offensive members to try to OHKO the mon that Keldeo didn't target since it has no reliable spread moves.
I might make a team in the future that allows Keldeo to use Surf, but its definitely not for every team.

I feel like Sitrus Berry should be on every Mew btw. It complements its natural bulk a lot, but it can't afford a moveslot to Protect+Leftovers. Mew sticks around too long to have a need for an offensive gem and LO takes away from its great bulk plus choice items take away from abusing its movepool.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
time to go for diamond rank
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Maxim's I
Research Week Pokemon Currently Working With: Celebi

Pokemon Showdown! Username: testing bi
Research Week Pokemon Currently Working With: Celebi
Current Ladder Standing: Peaked 1940+ w/ 86 +/-

I dont post much and stumbled upon this by chance, however I have peaked in the top 5 of VGC a few times the last few months however with nationals done VGC lost interest to me and considering I mostly play on PO I didnt notice how much more active doubles is here. So I decided to take on this challenge as I am really enjoying this metagame while awaiting XY. Note: This is mostly a simple first impressions run through with the first idea that came to mind, I briefly tried a few other sets however I didnt find any of them useful in the limited time I did use them.

Celebi @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 220 SDef / 252 HP / 36 Spd
Calm Nature
- Helping Hand
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm
- Protect

The idea was to take Ludicolos place on a rain team and act as a support grass type instead of just a pure attacker. The team I had built was centered around a sub kingdra set to dwindle away opponents HP and helping hand usage to finish them off. The set focused on using Twave for speed control helping hand to help out Muddy Water and leaf storm takes care of stray gastrodons and Swamperts. I have tried a nasty plot and SD sets but Celebi really never finds time to set up due to not forcing switches ever so I ran this defensive set. The problem with celebi is no matter the job it is pretty much outclassed. If you want a physical grass attacker Virizion and Breloom are much better options. On the special side Shaymin-S is a much better option for a pure attacker. Therefore the best way to run it is as a defensive support pokemon in which case Cresselia is a better alternative and even Mew has a few options Bi wishes it had with Fake out and Tailwind. However I will say it does a very good job of filling a specific niche on rain teams. It acts pretty well as a support pokemon while still posing enough of an offensive threat to gastro/rotom-w which can be problematic for them. I'm sure someone else can find a better use for it but I just cant find anywhere else where it isn't outclassed by something.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Scald
- Protect
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand

Celebi @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Helping Hand
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm
- Protect

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 40 HP / 240 SAtk / 228 Spd
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Muddy Water
- Dragon Pulse

Hitmontop (M) @ Fighting Gem
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Stockpile
- Muddy Water

Latios (M) @ Dragon Gem
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Surf
I went 21-2 with the team before trying to tweak it and actually making it worse. All of this was done between Midnight and 3:30 AM my time so with more time and thought I'm sure somebody can come up with a better team. Also, sorry I didn't grab a screencap but i really thought I could make it better and peak closer to 1980 or so but instead I ended up going in the opposite direction however you can see me hit 1911 in the last replay but sadly most of the battles after that weren't worthy of replay. Anyways its almost 4 now so I'll come back and update this tommorow after some rest.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi Drakeyy, you have a pretty nice team but my worry is that your replays showcase more of the other members than of Celebi; at the moment Celebi's job could possibly be done better by a typical Cresselia since it doesn't use Leaf Storm at all in those replays you've linked. Perhaps you could find a more relevant replay / explain how Celebi outclasses other more typical support Pokemon?

I think one of the things about replays is that even if you don't use Leaf Storm at all on Celebi, the opponent is afraid to bring in something like Gastrodon. I think the deterrent alone against water types is something cool it has that bulky Psychics don't have at all. It doesn't neccessarily have to kill the water types, just keep them scared off the field until Kingdra kills everything else.
That's why in some cases a replay isn't indicative of a mon's impact. Its sort of like when a DB gets no interceptions, but the ball was never thrown to his side of the field because he is a great player.

Arcticblast edit: did you really just make a football reference in Smogon Metagames?
Jake edit: yea... I didn't realize Smogon was against football? I like football....

Last edited:
Sorry if I rambled a bit but you actually just made my point for me. It doesn't outclass other support mons, the only thing it can really do that cress/mew cant is Leaf Storm which can be reason enough alone on rain teams that need grass support however if your not using it for that niche a different poke without so many weaknesses will be a better choice. The problem it has offensively is it will never find time to set up. Even if you get to +2 there is always something you cant hit. If you run NP + protect you really lack coverage and if you forgo protect you really need follow me support and even with that heat wave and blizzard can still do serious damage. I think it can still run a choice scarf set effectively with trick but I haven't done any serious testing with it.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
finally made it :)

Celebi @ Grass Gem
EVs: 252 HP / 138 SAtk / 10 SDef / 108 Spd
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Protect

Tbh i just used celebi cuz i would feel bad about using mew twice in a row but it actually did p. well. NP wasnt too hard to set up and as long as somethin faster w/ a bug type move wasnt present it was never complete dead weight. It excelled against opposing rain though since you can easily set up and threaten the mons on those teams (even has a chance to OHKO Breloom at +2 w/ Giga Drain which was cool). Also went well w/ the Rain team since it can defeat common Rain threats like Rotom-W, Gastrodon, and Jellicent. Against Sand it was p. cool too since Celebi has no problem taking Earthquakes and can eliminate TTar and other common pokes on Sand teams (Rotom-W for example). Sun is super problematic but no one uses Sun really and at least you can use EP to hit stuff super effectively so not all bad i guess. The main problem I had tho was that it gets walled by somethin no matter what. Wished it had a 5th moveset for HP fire or Psychic but Giga Drain + Earth Power had good coverage to hit like Metagross, Heatran, etc. Also against teams w/ a bunch of fast and powerful attackers you'll struggle to set up a NP which can bite. EVs on this set are meant to outspeed Jolly Breloom and lower + OHKO 252 HP TTar in Sand w/ +2 Grass Gem Giga Drain, with the rest put in bulk to let you set up easier. All in all it was an interesting set that could set up on alot of different things (even sets up on super common mons like Hitmontop and Cresselia without fear which is nice) so yeah, try it out yourself and see if you liked it.

additional notes related to the team: played around w/ volc alot, used hurricane for most of the ladder period (was even running a set w/o a stab attack for a bit lol) but decided to just use a normal set for the last stretch since the other set wasnt too good. chose rain since recoil weathers would hurt celebi's longevity and didnt wanna increase fire weakness by puttin it in sun so I went w/ a rain team.

Celebi @ Grass Gem
EVs: 252 HP / 138 SAtk / 10 SDef / 108 Spd
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Protect

Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 64 Def / 128 SDef
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Feint
- Wide Guard

Politoed @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Kingdra @ Dragon Gem
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Muddy Water
- Substitute
- Protect

Volcarona @ Fire Gem
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 108 SAtk / 40 SDef / 108 Spd
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Bug Buzz
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 136 Atk / 252 SAtk / 120 Spd
Rash Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz

Last edited by a moderator:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, Audiosurfer - and congrats for making this work! I wonder, though, have you ever considered using Baton Pass over Earth Power? That way, you're not stuck with Celebi's crappy offensive movepool and infinite weaknesses, and you can pass the boost to Thundurus, Keldeo, Kingdra, RP Genesect, etc, all of which can wreck house with a +2 boost. Seeing how many of these recipients are bulky and are resistant to Celebi's weaknesses, it can possibly work out. I know you like your Rage Powder Volcarona, but Follow Me Jirachi is also an option.

Nice choice in using Rain, too; it's nice to tone down Fire-type moves and the residual weather damage from sand and hail

So here we go again

Same Spd Celebi set as before and the only change I made to the team was Hydreigon coming in for Latios. It made a huge difference as with Celebi spreading paralysis the extra speed didnt matter and Hydreigon gave me much better coverage.

Updated Team
Politoed @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand

Celebi @ Sitrus Berry
Calm Nature
- Helping Hand
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm
- Protect

Kingdra @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 240 SAtk / 228 Spd
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Muddy Water
- Dragon Pulse

Hitmontop (M) @ Fighting Gem
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Stockpile
- Muddy Water

Hydreigon (M) @ Dragon Gem
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

And heres a few more replays showing it in action (there are more available if you just search for Drakeyyyyy under replays) Also the first 2 games on this alt were played with a different team. I went 1-1 before deciding to retry this team again, the first 2-3 games after the change I also still had Latios before another loss and decided to change again to the final product

Replays:

After playing some 60 odd games total with this Celebi set I fell pretty comfortable in saying Cress is still a better option for support, HOWEVER stab leaf storm is the one thing that sets it apart and that can make all the difference on a rain team. Being able to threaten the rotoms and the gastros is something Cress cannot do and without Celebi my team would be the same. The biggest problem with running this specific support celebi is that it hits like a purse. Generally your better off paralyzing and letting something stronger come in for the kill later. However the biggest advantage is its great bulk tanking stab super effective hits like nothing and returning a twave. I will say it became much more instrumental to my team than I imagined it would be. I dont really remember which replays I saved however I know there were a few games where it was crucial to my success. On the negative side when you only run leafstorm you have awful coverage. There will be entire games where you wont land a supereffective hit and similar games where it is essentially pointless. Its saving grave in such situations is its bulk as even when it cant attack thunder wave cripples fast attackers and helping hand came in handy helping kingdra nab a few KOs and keeps Hydreigon a threat after a drop from draco meteor.

Quick recap
Pros:
  • -Great bulk, tanks almost anything on the special side including hurricane tornadus, Blizzard Kyurem, Dragon Gem Latios, etc.
  • -Leaf storm is hugely helpful on rain teams to eliminate many problems that they have such as Rotom,Gastro,Jelli etc.
  • -Helping hand
  • -Psychic threats out fighting types allowing a teammate a chance to set up/grab a kill on the switch.
  • -Great status absorber for WoWs and Spore

Cons:
  • -Poor coverage
  • -Sooo many weaknesses, between nearly every doubles pair one of the two will have a super effective attack.
  • -No SpA investment means leafstorm is weak and after the drop you rely on helping hand support to finish off opponents.
  • -No Follow Me
  • -Poor coverage.

That was much longer than I planned on it being but i think you get the idea. Also I know i was at +/- 87 so I didn't totally meet the challenge requirements but I just wanted to take a break and write this up while its still fresh. Also I will probably drop this in the RMT section later so if you are interested in seeing a more specific breakdown of the team check it out

Last edited:
Right, claiming 1850 ranking with Keldeo and the the measly one point it brings (still my first), my laddering has been interrupted by internet disconnections, power cuts and real life emergencies so there were a lot of points thrown away in those matches.

Obligatory proof (I'm #221 [score], colonial overlord):
upload_2013-9-12_1-48-43.png

So anyway, I think Keldeo is actually all right; it is pretty adept at punching holes in the opponent with its dual STABs, letting a mon like Heatran clean up later. The set I ran was Hydro Pump / Secret Sword / Calm Mind / Protect with Life Orb and the obvious EV spread. Calm Mind is not too brilliant but I tried Taunt, Icy Wind and various Hidden Powers in that moveslot and never really used any of them, at least Keldeo forced enough switches to let me set up the odd Calm Mind at which point it really got scary for the opponent.

I decided to use Keldeo in sand to at least give it a chance to not be horribly outclassed by Swift Swimmers. Plus if Tyranitar and Keldeo can break OU, why not here? (Yes I know that's to do with Tyranitar Pursuit trapping and removing all of Keldeo's counters, which isn't relevant here). Sadly it meant that with sand and Life Orb damage Keldeo never really stayed around that long. I also found it difficult to switch it in, even uninvested Cresselia's Psychic does almost irrepairable damage to it. Various other stuff forced it out, particularly (just as in OU again!) Amoonguss, who would just spam the aptly named Rage Powder against it. This is why Taunt may be preferable in that third slot.

A replay to show the best of what Keldeo can do, here is a video of where a low-ranked opponent lets it set up. I even told him he was being set up on and he still didn't do anything about it...

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-50138989

The team, in its final form, is shown below, obviously work needs to be done but I feel 1850 is too low a ranking (excuses above).

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Low Kick
- Fire Blast

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Mental Herb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 168 SDef / 88 HP / 252 Def
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Gentle Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Icy Wind
- Sunny Day
- Safeguard
- Psychic

EDIT Keldeo saves my ass here: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-50288046
Also, 6-0 versus drakeyyyy http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-50478495

Last edited:
Did it with Mew now.

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Baton Pass
- Trick Room

So this was a really fun set and team to use and nobody expected this to come from Mew. I dont think this is the most effective set that it can run however it does a very good job of catching people off guard. The biggest things Mew brings are his versatility and his bulk. While Cress has more bulk Mews versatility is what makes him a better choice. Nearly everyone knows the same 6-8 moves cresselia runs on all of its sets but mew can run an infinite number of sets. Most people expect a support mew with taunt/wow but he works exceptionally well as a surprise TR setter. I ran SD and BP for a surprise set especially in doubles and liked to give the boosts to Ferrothorn or TTar. I think Mew has great offensive capabilities we arent exploiting simply because it catches so many people off guard. You are almost guaranteed to get to +2 and many times I got to +4 before anyone even considered it a threat, however for the team I was using I really wanted to use it as a TR setter.
Team:
Mew @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Baton Pass
- Trick Room

Ferrothorn @ Choice Band
Trait: Iron Barbs
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Bulldoze
- Explosion

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Emboar @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
Brave Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 0 Spd
- Flare Blitz
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

That was the team I ran, I kept trying to get it over 2050 with the same 5 core of Mew, Landy, TTar, Ferro, and Rotom and I must have tried 30 different pokes in the last spot but I could never get it to stay over 2000 although I hit 1900+ a few times. I should have probably changed the team more but the core of Mew, Landorus, and Ferrothorn worked exceptionally well and I had a ton of fun with CB ferrothorn. The replays are from different names and I think only have 2 different pokes in the 6th spot but you get the idea. I tried everything from heatran to volcarona to gastrodon to conkeldurr and I just really couldnt find anything I felt that worked well with the team.
Replays:

I finally reached 1950:

upload_2013-9-16_11-21-21.png

I'll RMT this team later as I really liked it. Keldeo is really pretty good at OHKOing various threats.

EDIT: apparently I don't understand the rating system. Thanks Level51.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)