Doubles Overview, Benchmarks, and Q&A Thread—Read before asking!

One of the biggest thing Char-X benefits from is redirection so that it can dragon dance a little more freely. I typically see that from Follow-Me Jirachi + Charizard X. Also just team support that can help deal with both bulky waters and bulky grounds are a big help
any other follow me user that's not weak to EQ?? jirachi + chari-x is gonna take srs damage from EQ.

chari-x does have the surprise factor in doubles as most people expect the y version

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Sadly, no other redirector in the metagame other than Togekiss can take an Earthquake, but Togekiss itself is a much worse meta pick and is prone to getting smashed by a Mega Diancie. Amoonguss is a viable edirector as well, but generally speaking Jirachi can take more powerful hits thanks to its typing. Your best bet of dealing with Earthquake, specifically Landorus-T, is just picking teammates that can beat it such as Rotom-W.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
If you're looking for a redirector that can help you with taking Earthquakes, Clefairy is actually a pretty cool option. Friend Guard lets you take 3/4 damage from any incoming attacks, and Clefairy uses Icy Wind, letting Zard X outspeed Lando-T without having to boost up. Unfortunately, if you pair it with Clefairy, you lose some of that surprise factor as Zard Y and Clefairy don't synergize very well.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
well tbf jirachi is like also a dead giveaway that its zard x. but yeah clefairy is another neat redirector for it

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Azumarill is a nice partner for Charizard X, as it can OHKO Lando-T & Diancie with Aqua Jet after a BD. Also helps with Heatran that cockblocks Charizard X's STAB. Not to mention Azumarill forms a golden combo with Jirachi.

I actually used Zygarde for the main purpose of paralyzing Lando-T with Glare (and for a solid answer to Heatran). Once Lando-T loses its Speed advantage, Charizard X and Jirachi face no problem against it. It is another mon that combos well with Jirachi, spreading paralysis for Jirachi to take advantage with its Iron Head.

Hitmontop isn't actually a bad monto consider for supporting a Pokemon that is weak to Quake Slide... Fake Out is always nice to set up Dragon Dance, and Quick Guard can protect Charizard X from Prankster T waves and powerful priority moves. However, this may be too much support going into a sweep.

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
It's weak with out CM plus it's ez taunt bait. It's destroyed by some really commen threats like aegi; just walled by all steel types. And probably most of all it can be a massive momentum drain.

Still totally has its merits as a good mon. But not great like it used to be

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cresselia is still a solid Mon, tho, undoubtedly
One of the bulkiest and reliable trick room setter we have who can support a tr sweeper with helping hand, weather, screens, skill swap etc. Also if you can remove kanga, aegis, hoopa, hydreigon, etc it can set up on most things and cm sweep, as demonstrated by samvgc recently in dpl

Why is cresselia so low in the viability rankings
Yeah I would definitely say that Cresselia is still a good mon in the meta and is very reliable as a TR setter and a general support mon with helping hand, icy wind, t-wave, etc. but it also is a momentum vaccum because of how many pokemon hard-wall it, specifically dark and steel types which are very common in the metagame atm. Not that its bad at all, but definitely has its good and bad matchups

In DUU... How can I counter an Aromatisse + Hairyama lead? It seems impossible to prevent trick room from coming up.
Hoopa works as a good TR check, as Hyperspace Hole kills Hariyama and Shadow Ball kills Aromatisse. Plus it can abuse TR thanks to its low speed.

Hoopa works as a good TR check, as Hyperspace Hole kills Hariyama and Shadow Ball kills Aromatisse. Plus it can abuse TR thanks to its low speed.
I just did the calcs... unless it is a blank aromatisse set, shadow ball won't kill. I might need a specs poison type, or something.

I just did the calcs... unless it is a blank aromatisse set, shadow ball won't kill. I might need a specs poison type, or something.
Then you can pair it with a fast fake-outer to flinch Aromatisse first turn when you kill Hariyama, then dual target Aroma turn 2.

I think Mega Metagross is probably great too since it does that in addition to walling Abomasnow/Aromatisse and it beats other Hoopa-C (given trick room isn't up in the case of Megagross vs Hoopa-C)

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
252+ SpA Life Orb Haunter Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 56 SpD Aromatisse: 398-471 (98 - 116%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
VCrakeV I have noticed you have been posting good questions and shown some interest in learning about Doubles.

I am not sure if you already visit the DOUBLES ROOM on Pokemon Showdown but I highly recommend coming around more.

There is a lot of people there who have actually started playing Doubles UU recently, who would be happy to give advice and even offer battles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)