Doubles OU Player of the Week #41 - Stax

Mfk
1.Almond milk, Whole milk, Breast milk

2.Humans are only species to drink milk past infancy. Thoughts on that?

3.Hail or sand?

4.Will you play DUU?

5. Free skymin?
1.Fuck:Almond milk (i'd try it once but i wouldn't go beyond that), Kill: Whole milk (shit's bad for me, gotta make sure it stays outta my diet) Marry:Breast Milk (natural part of life, has to stay around)

2.Humans rob other animals of the intimacy that is sharing milk with their young, ultimate assertion of dominance on the animal kingdom.

3. Sand, deo smashed me with sand so i have to respect it now

4. Probably not a lot but I've had some fun with it

5. Absolutely not, cancerous mon

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Shiba for bringing Lapras fodder to a tournament.
I'm still mildly salty from that :pirate:.

Free you next UUPL if I manage? @_@

Would you rather have Mega evolution or Z Moves based on what you've seen from both?

Mfk Andy, Pak, Kyle

Thoughts on last 2 DOU suspect results

Edit: WHY ARE MEEK AND SCHOOLBOY Q TOP 1 AND 2

#MiltankMajorsI

Last edited:
Free you next UUPL if I manage? @_@
Of course, I was the best player on that team.
Would you rather have Mega evolution or Z Moves based on what you've seen from both?
Z moves because its something kind of new and I don't think it's as gamebreaking as like Mega mence and other broken megas
Mfk Andy, Pak, Kyle
Marry Pak, fuck andy, kill kyle
Thoughts on last 2 DOU suspect results
They make me sad and hate the TC badge but some people who actually play doubles voted on both sides of each test so its legit and I can't be that mad.
Edit: WHY ARE MEEK AND SCHOOLBOY Q TOP 1 AND 2
Q is top 5 but meek is still ass. Faxx

Last edited:
Reactions: rs

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
miltankmilk you're doing it wrong, you're supposed to let tons of questions build up for a mega-post and then forget all about it and leave everyone hanging stop being responsible. Ok on to my questions

1. What Pokemon is furthest from where you would have it on your personal VR? (example: for me, Mega Lucario is Tier 3. Despite it being really bad, it's cool looking and super strong so I'm ignoring its faults and placing it as high as I damn well please.)
2. What is one playstyle or team archetype that you can't seem to get a hold of, despite it being successful for others?
3. Favorite Alola form from what we've seen so far?
4. Will you be buying Sun, Moon, or both?
5. If you could make one character from Game of Thrones into a Pokemon inspired by them, who would it be and why?
5. In your eyes, what are the chances that the Cubs finally win the World Series this year? (Don't forget to knock wood so as not to jinx anything)
7. Favorite completely unviable Pokemon?
8. One weird thing that you can do that most people cannot?
9. If you could give one piece of advice to a new Smogon.com member on how to be a good poster, what would it be?
10. Did you notice that I have two question 5s and no question 6?

great player, great friend, great interview :D

1. What Pokemon is furthest from where you would have it on your personal VR? (example: for me, Mega Lucario is Tier 3. Despite it being really bad, it's cool looking and super strong so I'm ignoring its faults and placing it as high as I damn well please.)
Bronzong is a sick mon and is high on my personal VR and Mega venu is a fat shit that i hate, otherwise I kinda agree with the VR.
2. What is one playstyle or team archetype that you can't seem to get a hold of, despite it being successful for others?
Like hardcore Checkmater HO. I always find myself wanting some kind of defensive pivot(s) and idk how people go so balls to the wall.
3. Favorite Alola form from what we've seen so far?
Eggy is hillarious, Marowak and Raichu are both cool too.
4. Will you be buying Sun, Moon, or both?
I pre-ordered pokemon sun before version exclusives were announced and I think I made the right call.
5. If you could make one character from Game of Thrones into a Pokemon inspired by them, who would it be and why?
Hodor
because I miss him :(

5. In your eyes, what are the chances that the Cubs finally win the World Series this year? (Don't forget to knock wood so as not to jinx anything)
I think anyone who doesn't see them as the favorite is naive. This doesn't mean its a walk in for the Cubs but they are the team to beat. Their pitching has been so good all season that if they maintain this pace I think the win all 3 series pretty comfortably. 70% chance to win it all imo.
7. Favorite completely unviable Pokemon?
In doubles: Jynx / In any meta: Farfetch'd
8. One weird thing that you can do that most people cannot?
Im double jointed in my thumbs so I can bend them in painful looking ways.
9. If you could give one piece of advice to a new Smogon.com member on how to be a good poster, what would it be?
You need to keep a good mix of shitposts and quality posts so that both moderators and users like you. Too much of either and its a bad time.
10. Did you notice that I have two question 5s and no question 6?
now i did D:

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
best tutee....:D?

now to make this post productive

How do you feel about being the new driver in the Doubles room on PS!?
Beside the Cubs, favorite to win the World Series?
Do you follow Football as well? If so, who do you support?
What motivated you to (hopefully) go to Law School? This will be my 5th year taking Debate and they're similar.

1. Where did you last get angry, and why?
  2. Why is the ocean salty?
  3. Where does all the poop go?
  4. What is your favorite brand of beer?
  5. What is your favorite rom-com?
  6. What is your ideal first date? (asking for a friend)
  7. How do you know if a girl likes you or if they're just staring at your gorgeous pecs?
  8. What's the highest number you've ever counted to?
  9. At what point do chicken nuggets become chicken tender? Is there are required amount of elongation or something?
  10. What is your favorite pokemon AESTHETICALLY?
  11. What is your current L:P ratio?
  12. Has your grandmother ever told you how truly disappointed in you she is?
  13. What is the weirdest fact you know?
  14. At what point in your life did you come to terms with living in a shit state?
  15. Do they even have running water in Illinois?
  16. If you could go back in time and be in one war, which would it be? There is a correct answer.
  17. In what way would you describe your ears?
  18. Where do our bodies end and our minds begin?
  19. If you go to law school, will you give me free legal advice forever?
  20. AND FINALLY If you could gain any superpower, but only for 15 minutes, and you had to use it to help you wash a dog, what superpower would you choose?

How do you feel about being the new driver in the Doubles room on PS!?
I was really excited that I got promoted and that staff trusts me with actual authority but I honestly have used it like twice so I guess its not that different yet. My name at the top and in bold is cool tho.
Beside the Cubs, favorite to win the World Series?
The Red sox are a scary team atm, Blue Jays can beat anyone if they're stars are hitting homers, otherwise teams are just losing too much pitching to stay competitive ie: mets losing DeGrom, Indians losing Salazar and Carrasco. Giants are a really good team if they make it in but no Brandon Crawford is a huge loss.
Do you follow Football as well? If so, who do you support?
Was raised a Bears fan for American football and I'm a united supporter in England. My roommate last year is from Manchester and I visited him over the summer and seeing Old Tratford was pretty special.
What motivated you to (hopefully) go to Law School? This will be my 5th year taking Debate and they're similar.
I used to think being a prosecutor would be really cool but now I kind of want to go into the corporate side of law. It's not flashy but I think there's less disappointment with our justice system associated with it.
Where did you last get angry, and why?
In my living room because the cubs lost 3 out of 4 to the brewers which is super fucking sad.
Why is the ocean salty?
Im pretty sure its the tears of pokemon according to that depressing dude in Hoenn.
Where does all the poop go?
I package mine and send it to my ex's on a monthly basis.
What is your favorite brand of beer?
Cheap Beer: Budweiser / Not that cheap: Heinekin / Treating myself on a college budget: Kona Big Wave
What is your favorite rom-com?
Crazy, Stupid, Love (and not a comedy but Love and Other Drugs is kinda sappy and I liked it a lot)
What is your ideal first date? (asking for a friend)
For me I need some mix of getting to know them and a shared activity so I know if they're super lame or not. Go-to is dinner and a movie but like any variant is good. Im kinda out of practice as I've been with the same girl for like 8ish months.
How do you know if a girl likes you or if they're just staring at your gorgeous pecs?
Tell her where your eyes are and if she laughs a little but not too much, then you're in the clear.
What's the highest number you've ever counted to?
The last time I counted high was in like 3rd grade for a project where we had to just write numbers on a sheets of paper that we turned into a giant scroll and I got to like 1500.
At what point do chicken nuggets become chicken tender? Is there are required amount of elongation or something?
Chicken Tenders are larger and have the bumpy exterior where the nugget is smaller and smooth. Gotta treat it on a case by case basis.
What is your favorite pokemon AESTHETICALLY?
Charizard or Dragonite
What is your current L:P ratio?
2.4:1
Has your grandmother ever told you how truly disappointed in you she is?
She remains very proud of me.
What is the weirdest fact you know?
The conviction rate for Illinois governors is higher than for those sitting on a murder trial.
At what point in your life did you come to terms with living in a shit state?
Sometime between when I applied to go to school in my homestate and when our governor got sent to prison in Colorado. Our state sucks so bad we can't even imprison our own governor here.
Do they even have running water in Illinois?
Only if you live within 65 miles of Lake Michigan or the Mississippi river
If you could go back in time and be in one war, which would it be? There is a correct answer.
The 4th Crusade. Most of the European forces decided not to actually go fight in Egypt and just sacked Constantinople for its riches then went home.
In what way would you describe your ears?
too large for my head
Where do our bodies end and our minds begin?
Who says our bodies aren't just a construct to help us deal with the reality that we are all sleeping in pods underground being harvested by lizard people.
If you go to law school, will you give me free legal advice forever?
Depends how much of a shitstorm you've found yourself in
AND FINALLY If you could gain any superpower, but only for 15 minutes, and you had to use it to help you wash a dog, what superpower would you choose?
Probably super speed so I could wash it in a river on the other side of the world.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
why am i so good at gartic? follow up, why am i called young picasso in the gartic community?

remember when i joined like 3 turns late and still got 2nd in that gartic round?

FloristtheBudew

I'm just tired
What's your thoughts on players who usually main VGC including DOU as one of the tiers they now play?

Do you preference the use of offensive, balanced or defensive teams in a nut shell? For context- what kind of team would you be more comfortable using with and why?

What's your thoughts on players who usually main VGC including DOU as one of the tiers they now play?

Do you preference the use of offensive, balanced or defensive teams in a nut shell? For context- what kind of team would you be more comfortable using with and why?
I think in general more VGC players playing DOU is a good thing, Sam and Dawg kinda started this trend but you, Bopper, JamesSpeed, even Wolfe played last seasonal. All of that is good. The only problem that comes about is users who have some kind of inflated ego since they have played in tournaments IRL and try to use that against DOU mains.

With team structure I would say I'm most comfortable with a more bulky offense / balance type build. Typically I'm not thinking far enough ahead for a true defensive build to be in my comfort zone and I really like a team that can sponge some hits and hit back hard as well.
Rank these team archetypes from least cancerous to most cancerous: Perish Trap, GeoPass, TerraCott, Double Bunnies
Perish Trap, Terracott, Geo Pass, Double Bunnies

FloristtheBudew

I'm just tired
I think in general more VGC players playing DOU is a good thing, Sam and Dawg kinda started this trend but you, Bopper, JamesSpeed, even Wolfe played last seasonal. All of that is good. The only problem that comes about is users who have some kind of inflated ego since they have played in tournaments IRL and try to use that against DOU mains.
That's a pretty fair point. Been sitting here for a while trying to really think on how I would reply to that. It's honestly more than likely true that it does happen, but to the extent I'm not aware of. In a way it makes sense I guess when you compare the time and effort put into the different formats, but discrediting accomplished players isn't something that should be considered. Gave me some nice food for thoughts, cheers.

That's a pretty fair point. Been sitting here for a while trying to really think on how I would reply to that. It's honestly more than likely true that it does happen, but to the extent I'm not aware of. In a way it makes sense I guess when you compare the time and effort put into the different formats, but discrediting accomplished players isn't something that should be considered. Gave me some nice food for thoughts, cheers.
This wasn't directed at anyone i named either D: it's just something I see on occasion

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Interviewee #41 - Stax
1. Hi, could you tell us who you are by giving a small introduction about yourself?
Hi I’m a sophomore cs college student. I hail from Las Vegas. My dream is to move somewhere else that is not Vegas.

2. Where does your username come from, and why did you stick with it?
My name came from me listening to dumb trap music lol. I thought the saying staxandstax was pretty cool and that eventually morphed into stax. Ironically I actually like my old name more now.

3. When did you start playing competitive Pokémon, when did you start playing competitive Doubles, and why did you stick around?
I started playing competitive pokemon probably around mid to late vgc 15. I actually played battle spot first and found it pretty fun. After getting a pretty high rating in one season, I decided to try out Doubles because I thought the tours would be pretty fun. I stuck around because I won a bit, the community was pretty friendly, and I lub memes.

4. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
Azumarill would probably be my favorite to use competitively because of how aggressively it allows you to play. Yveltal would be my favorite overall because hand-wings, and using that thing in game and battle spot was awesome.

5. What do you think is the strongest playstyle or Pokémon in this metagame right now, and why?

I don’t know. It’s why I’ve used a lot more teams recently because I feel like a lot of playstyles are simultaneously viable. The only thing certain is that all these teams will have landorus.

6. Do you think there's a Pokémon or set that is currently underrated in the meta?

Mega-gengar is quite underrated. I like its ability to control games with shadow tag.

7. Could you give us a team that resembles your playing and building style and give a little explanation about it?

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 12 HP / 92 Def / 172 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Rock Slide

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Atk / 112 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Trick Room
- Follow Me

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 120 HP / 136 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Protect

This is the team I used game one of open finals. It has a lot of stuff that I just like using in general such as azu rachi and shuca eruptran. But it’s also peppered with a bunch of cool shit like sludge wave mega-gar, banderous with mega-gar for massive boom and a trick room mode for both tran and azu. Overall one of my favorite teams to use. I should’ve probably tested it more because well, like I only played one game with it :s.

8. Considering you have been in 4 finals so far, I guess we could say you are one of the best players at the moment. Do you have any "secret" or tips for people trying to do better in tournaments?
I guess don’t be too hard to on yourself in defeat. I feel like a lack of confidence is what destroys most players myself included. I remember I was way too hard on myself in the two seasonals finals I lost and that almost made me quit. Statistically you’re unlikely to win a tour regardless so just have fun, and find positives when you lose. Also I was somewhat lucky in my open run and one of my seasonals run so it doesn’t mean that you’re actually that far from a good run. Chances are you just need a good break :D.

9. Will you be around for SPL? Would you like to play in that tournament?
Maybe, I’m always excited for a new game but if I think SPL will put too much pressure on me then I won’t sign up.

10. Who do you think is most likely to win this seasonal?

Most of the players left in the winner’s bracket are good so realistically anyone could win, though I hope Matame, Mishimono or miltankmilk win.

11. Is there anybody you see as an up and coming player?
FloristtheBudew did pretty well last seasonal and builds pretty good teams. Ditto for Demantoid.

12. Is there anybody you look up to as a player?
I remember watching 2015 worlds while procrastinating and was impressed by Tony(I forgot his actual name lol) and tried to emulate his style.

13. You have quite a lot of success in the Grand Slam, having a great chance of getting into playoffs. What was your favourite non-Doubles tier to play?
I’m actually already in playoffs haha phew. NU was probably my favourite non-Doubles tier because I found it more offensively orientated than other tiers. I also took a liking to battle spot triples during the unova classic because it was fun spamming smeargle.

14. Are you excited for Pokemon Sun/Moon? What do you want to see next generation?

Yes, I’m excited for the potential power nerf. I would like to see raichu silver surf all over the metagame.

15. What are your hobbies outside of playing Pokemon? What are you interested in?
I do like a bit of reading. I like music and used to watch a bit of anime in hs but that has dropped off once college started. I also do a bit of video games(duh) but that has dropped off since college too. My favourite video game as a kid was Metroid Prime 3 which is like a decade old lel.

16. Who is your waifu, and why?
Team rocket grunt girl because free outfits :S.

17. Is there anything else you would like to say or speak about?
n u.

1. When will the world end?
  2. What is your favorite cereal?
  3. What comes to mind when you hear the word "phalanges"
  4. If you could be anywhere with anyone right now, where and with whom would you be?
  5. Free Stratos?????
  6. Free Skymin?????
  7. What do people mean when they tell me they "don't like me"and I should "leave them alone"?
  8. On a scale of 1-10, how much are you like the wolf from the cookie crisps commercials? Reference
  9. What is your favorite meme?
  10. If given the opportunity, would you become an eagle?
  11. (Since you live in Vegas) Do you enjoy gambling? If so, what's your favorite game?
  12. Describe yourself using only the letters in the word "hysterectomy".
  13. You can go forward in time as far as you want, when do you go to and why?
  14. How many of the Ten Commandments do you break daily? (Please be specific)
  15. Rate 1-10 http://puu.sh/rfBuT/132c58996d.png
  16. What's your favorite euphemism for sex?
  17. Do you know any languages besides English?
  18. Rotom-Heat -> 3?????
  19. Have you ever met a native american?
  20. AND FINALLY if there is no god, then how do you exist?

Is this the Krusty Krab?
No this is real life :{
thoughts on palkia
Palkia is great at being yveltals ho
  1. When will the world end?
  2. What is your favorite cereal?
  3. What comes to mind when you hear the word "phalanges"
  4. If you could be anywhere with anyone right now, where and with whom would you be?
  5. Free Stratos?????
  6. Free Skymin?????
  7. What do people mean when they tell me they "don't like me"and I should "leave them alone"?
  8. On a scale of 1-10, how much are you like the wolf from the cookie crisps commercials? Reference
  9. What is your favorite meme?
  10. If given the opportunity, would you become an eagle?
  11. (Since you live in Vegas) Do you enjoy gambling? If so, what's your favorite game?
  12. Describe yourself using only the letters in the word "hysterectomy".
  13. You can go forward in time as far as you want, when do you go to and why?
  14. How many of the Ten Commandments do you break daily? (Please be specific)
  15. Rate 1-10 http://puu.sh/rfBuT/132c58996d.png
  16. What's your favorite euphemism for sex?
  17. Do you know any languages besides English?
  18. Rotom-Heat -> 3?????
  19. Have you ever met a native american?
  20. AND FINALLY if there is no god, then how do you exist?
1. When there’s a giant black screen saying That’s all Folks and the credits roll
2. Cinnamon toast crunch
3. phalanges
4. w Trump on the battlestar galactica when he makes the milky way great again
5. y
6. sure idc
7. smd
8. yes
9. –
10. fuck yes
11. I only dab in sports betting from time to time
12. sm-hyterectoy
13. 100 years later because it’s an easy number to write
14. OMG, who’s ready to fuck my neighbor’s wife! (or anything that belongs to my neighbor)
15. 8
16. pork
17. ik a bit of Russian
18. sure, wynaut
19. y
20. because I am the opposite of god, I am dog, and therefore I exist
love your answers stax, you're awesome

You said you wanna get out of LV, anywhere in particular?
Cali or Washington would be cool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)