SM UU Double Dragon

Introduction

Double Dragon

I'm still using this team, and am kind of unsure what direction I want to go with it. It features a double Dragon offence core, with a couple strong tanks to take hits and dish them back.

I'm currently mid 1500s, and I definitely enjoy it, but feel it's lacking something. It's a pretty offensive team, and games are fast, although I try to have switchins for common threats. Let me know what you think, and feel free to steal it!

Teambuilding Process

I picked Steelix for my first mon because I wanted to try him out- he's got massive natural bulk and hits extremely hard. At first I attempted a sand team with him and Hippo, but I didn't enjoy how they worked together, so hippo was quickly discarded

This guy replaced Hippo, as I wanted a Poke that could take on special attackers that gave Steelix trouble. He and Steelix do pretty decently together as offensive tanks.

I had tried scarf Volcanion on a different team and found it got quite a few surprise kills, while still being able to dent a lot of things pretty well. I've considered replacing him a few times, but scarf steam eruption comes in handy.

I wanted something that could outspeed the faster threats in the metagame, as Volc doesn't hit a great speed tier for things like aero. Hydreigon is still a great revenge killer with its two stabs, and can nab momentum with U-turn

I remember reading a post that Haxorus was a huge threat this metagame, and I was looking for a set-up sweeper for the team. He's saved me from a few games that I probably should have lost

I wanted something extra that could take on physical threats (like buzzwole) to take pressure off Steelix. I also wanted a spinner, so defensive Psychic Starmie fit the bill.

The Team

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Atk / 24 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
Steelix hits extremely hard with his STABS, having a small chance to 2HKO bulky scizor with EQ. If possible, roaring it out is usually better though, as they can easily roost off the damage and stall you. Heavy Slam nets a lot of KO's, as opponents often underestimate how strong it is, and try to set up in front of it. Stealth Rock is there because I needed it, but Steelix is only ok as a rocker- I find in many games I prefer to just hit what's in front of me to break the team for the dragon core.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
Steelix doesn't appreciate special attackers too much, so Muk takes care of them well. I originally underestimated this mon, but it's able to dish vital chip damage to bulkier Pokemon and pursuit trap problem special attackers like Latias, who is otherwise a problem to switch into. Muk doesn't usually sweep but he usually puts in the work I need him to, often poisoning threats like mega-swampert with shadow sneak when I just need chip damage.

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Volcanion comes in handy outspeeding moderately fast Pokemon that often expect to get an easy kill on it, such as Nidos and Buzzwole, and burning physical threats. Without specs, he doesn't dent walls nearly as well though, and I've considered replacing Volc from time to time, but I can never decide on a different member, so Volc has remained. It doesn't threaten water types as much as I would like, although water absorb is a handy ability. Its dual stab also comes in handy quite often and can be a pain for the opponent to switch into, especially when they expect to revenge it with something like Entei.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
Although Hydreigon isn't the premier threat he was last gen, he is still able to put in a ton of work, since Draco still hits like a truck, and dark pulse lets him flinch his way to victory. I often turn out when the opponent has fairies, and I find myself leading with him fairly often, since he outspeeds a lot of different threats. I put flamethrower over something like flash cannon since I can live a +2 BP from bulky scizor and revenge him, but this does leave me more open to things like togekiss, who walls this set.

Haxorus @ Groundium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
I have been very impressed with this ugly dragon- he sets up on quite a few different things with his resistances and okay bulk, and can often sweep from there. He's also my main wincon vs rain, where I try to stall out rain with my team and try to get 1-2 DDs to sweep and win. Tectonic rage hits quite a few things neutrally, and has been pretty successful, but I may change it if I need to deal with specific threats better, or the team changes. Poison Jab is my best way of dealing with fairies, although I typically try to dent fat ones first before I try and set up.

Starmie @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
This mon usually does what it needs to, getting off a burn or chip damage, killing buzzwole who think they're tough, getting off a spin to keep the rest of the squad healthy, or even just getting a couple switchins on physical threats, and letting them take rocky helmet damage. Starmie doesn't usually do a ton, but it typically does what I want it to do. I've considered running more speed for things like mamo and swole, but Starmie isn't crazy bulky even with max/max, so I'm not sure I want to risk it.

Conclusion

So there's the team! It has a few big threats, things like Mega-Swampert in rain, bulky SD Scizor, Mamoswine, Togekiss (and other fairies), Buzzwole and Conkeldurr. Special attackers can be pretty stressful, but that's Muk's entire job, so make sure you keep him healthy and use him to pick off the most important special threats.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Atk / 24 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

Haxorus @ Groundium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Starmie @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Only slight suggestion I have for you would be Dragonium Z -> Groundium Z. A one-use Dragon-type nuke that doesn't lock you into a move may be useful for you. I have seen quite a number of people run Dragonium Z to great effect, so maybe it can help you as well

That would be useful, since I hate locking in on outrage, but tectonic rage does a fair chunk to scizor, who can otherwise be problematic, as many save him for a late game wincon. I've also thought of acid downpour to wipe out fairies, but scizor is a fairly big problem for this team if volcanion is out of the way.

That would be useful, since I hate locking in on outrage, but tectonic rage does a fair chunk to scizor, who can otherwise be problematic, as many save him for a late game wincon. I've also thought of acid downpour to wipe out fairies, but scizor is a fairly big problem for this team if volcanion is out of the way.
I don't think Scizor is that big of an issue for you considering you have fire coverage on two mons (and you could always run Fire Blast on Muk-A as well). Speaking of which, why do you have two Scarf users? The team would prob be better suited to run something like Specs Volcanion to break walls more efficiently (but I'm not exactly sure - just don't run two Scarfers, you lose too much power). Also have you considered Cobalion as your stealth rocker? You mentioned M-Steelix as only ok and this keeps your fairy matchup the same at worst and may even improve it a little.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Taunt / Volt Switch / Swords Dance

Last move and item are up to you. Shuca allows you to live a Mamo EQ and KO back with CC, but depending on how you change your second scarfer you may want the longevity of leftovers. Taunt can keep hazards off your side of the field and help against stall, Volt Switch adds momentum and creates a VoltTurn core with Hydreigon, and Swords Dance can add extra power (namely +2 Iron Head KOs offensive Togekiss and KOs defensive Kiss with Rocks up)

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)