DOU Effective Cores

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Approved by Kamikaze

Art by Pastelle
The thread was getting out of date, so I got permission from kamikaze to rehaul it. Post cores you've had success with here, along with a short explanation of why they work well together and some suggestions for potential team mates that would compliment the core. Remember to post full importable sets for ease of editing into the OP, and for spreads that deviate from 252 / 252 / 4, please explain what the EVs do.

Good cores will be edited into the OP - please note that this will be more selective than it was in the past, a "good core" should be able to point at least a handful of succesful teams or repeated tour success - and hopefully we can piece together a good list for people to use as a reference. I'll split cores into Offensive, Defensive and Balanced / Miscellaneous categories. This is intended to be an ongoing and up to date list, so if you feel a core listed in the OP is no longer viable / worth listing, feel free to provide evidence of why you think this and it can be discussed between the community.

Offensive Cores:

Aegislash+Hydreigon
Azumarill + Mew
Azumarill + Jirachi
Mega Charizard Y + Landorus-Therian
Trick Room Mega Gardevoir + Scrafty
Mega Gardevoir + Volcanion
Mega Gardevoir + Hoopa-U
Mega Kangaskhan + Volcarona
Mega Diancie + Volcarona
Mega Diancie + Jirachi
Mega Diancie + Bisharp

Mega Diancie + Keldeo
Mega Gengar + Hydreigon
Mega Metagross + Blaziken
Hydreigon + Terrakion
Hoopa-U + Sylveon
Keldeo+Bisharp

Defensive Cores:

Mega Venusaur + Volcanion
Suicune + Heatran
Cresselia + Landorus-Therian
Amoonguss + Scrafty
Rotom-H + Gastrodon

Balanced Cores:

Amoonguss + Darkrai
Cresselia + Char Y
Suicune + Breloom
Kyurem-Black + Aegislash
THALK

Last edited:

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
One core I used to use and really liked was LoomKiss. In general, it worked pretty great as a lead

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Air Slash
- Encore
- Tailwind
- Follow Me

(Encore can be roost, or protect, or even nasty plot, but I never tried the last one)
(You can also run safety goggles on togekiss)

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Protect
- Spore

(Sash is also viable)

Although it was a while ago (2 months?) I used this core a lot a while ago. Breloom in tailwind is just so sexy cuz fast spores are fucking fast. Also, Togekiss is really good in tailwind too, cuz it can air flinch things really hard. The speed on toge is to outspeed tiers like scarflando and deo-a, along with things trying to outspeed those tiers.

Usually, this combo is great as an opener, I usually protect on breloom+tailwind on togekiss. Follow me is great for helping breloom avoid things like talonflame bbird.

Generally, if your opponent is trick room, they have to let you spore something, and they're still running the risk of airflinches on their setter.

If their leads are say rotomwash or something, you can just straight up spore that immediately.

Anyways, I feel like I'm just adding more text to a wall of text at this point, so yeah.

let's go

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Tailwind / Rage Powder
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Landorus has Intimidate to aid Volcarona's pitiful defense, and while it's a huge threat it can draw attention away from Volcarona while it sets up Tailwind and bounce to something that benefits a lot from the Tailwind. You could even run Rage Powder to redirect Ice attacks away from Landorus as well as Will-o-wisp's from Sableye and co, though they both have a shared weakness to Water, requiring something in the back to help against Rain (which isn't a dominant meta choice to begin with, most of the meta game is weatherless or the occasional Charizard). Landorus also has two very useful spread moves in Earthquake and Rock Slide, which get rid of two things that annoy Volcarona a lot: Heatran and Talonflame. These two also love stealing sun from Charizard Y, as Landorus just scares away the Charizard and can U-turn out while Volcarona can Tailwind and Heat Wave spam, though you have to be cautious of Venusaur.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Protect

Cresselia @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick Room

EVs: 252 Spa / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

This core is an interesting one. Metagross has a variety of resistances being a Steel type, and Hammer Arm allows it to be in Trick Room with an offensive yet still bulky Cresselia, a particular Cresselia variant I have seen people such as Stratos and TFC use (though TFC used Moonlight over Trick Room on a Sun team), and it really functions well with any highly offensive Mega Evolution in Trick Room, including Gallade, Kangaskhan, and Camerupt, though Metagross and Camerupt are probably the best. Cresselia and Metagross have obvious issues with Hydreigon and Aegislash, very dominant meta game choices in Doubles OU, and that's where Landorus-Therian comes in to provide Intimidate to make physical opponents seem almost useless with Cresselia's natural bulk as well as Metagross' numerous resistances and great base 150 defense. It also has a very different set than the traditional physical scarf, as it can give even Wide Guard Aegislash huge problems in the form of Earth Power, while Focus Blast hits Kangaskhan to prevent those annoying Sucker Punches and hits Hydreigon, while Hidden Power [Ice] is used to hit opposing Landorus-Therian.

Last edited:
+

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Fake Out
- Transform
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Azumarill (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect

------------------------

Turn one: fake out threat to Azumarill and belly drum with Azumarill
Turn two: protect Azumarill and transform into it with Mew (transform goes through protect)
Turn three: profit

Good partners: kangaskhan-mega, heatran, explosion landorus-therian, and amoonguss

let's go

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Tailwind / Rage Powder
- Protect

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Landorus has Intimidate to aid Volcarona's pitiful defense, and while it's a huge threat it can draw attention away from Volcarona while it sets up Tailwind and bounce to something that benefits a lot from the Tailwind. You could even run Rage Powder to redirect Ice attacks away from Landorus as well as Will-o-wisp's from Sableye and co, though they both have a shared weakness to Water, requiring something in the back to help against Rain (which isn't a dominant meta choice to begin with, most of the meta game is weatherless or the occasional Charizard). Landorus also has two very useful spread moves in Earthquake and Rock Slide, which get rid of two things that annoy Volcarona a lot: Heatran and Talonflame. These two also love stealing sun from Charizard Y, as Landorus just scares away the Charizard and can U-turn out while Volcarona can Tailwind and Heat Wave spam, though you have to be cautious of Venusaur.

edit: defensive core on the way
I feel like you are rather weak to any water type/lando-t imo

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonlight

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 132 Def / 80 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

The semi Trick Room core that never dies. Bulky Landorus-T is an excellent set, and it thrives in semi-TR with a slow U-turn, letting Cresselia set up Trick Room as soon as an attacker like Mega Abomasnow hits the field. Calm Mind TR Cresselia is a pretty standard and straightforward set - set Trick Room, clean up lategame with Calm Mind. Bulky Landorus-T weakens Kangaskhan (and switches in!) and many other physical attackers. With this EV spread, Landorus-T takes a Life Orb Draco Meteor from Hydreigon and an Adamant Mega Kangashan Return. Watch out for Bisharp, but never be worried about Talonflame again!

Suitran

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 84 Def / 112 SpA / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

(Standard bulk Cune. Able to OHKO Landorus with Ice Beam, and deal decent damage otherwise whilst also able to live through much of the battle and support the team whenever needed. Outspeeds Breeloom, bringing a nice break to the Focus Sash with the help of Heat Wave from Tran.)

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Protect

(84 speed allows it to out speed Lando under Tail Wind, 252 SpA [it's Heatran], and the rest into HP of course as it is SubTran.)

I have found that this core fits very well together typing wise (I had actually dwindled with Washtran first but decided this was the easier way out). Now what made this core the easier way out, and what is perhaps one of the largest parts of this core, apart from each member handling most of its partner's weakness is it's function to form itself against those ever-so prominent Landorus-T. How I see it is that turn 1 Suicune sets up wind and Heatran protects. From there, Tran has just enough speed investment to out speed Scarf Landorus with Tail Wind up. Suicune then proceeds to finish Landorus or deal damage to a switch in. Even if you do not encounter Landorus, this can still function in similar to get a quick upper hand through offense and coverage, or lovely speed control and subbing. Finally, what makes the typing match up so great is that each covers all of its partner's weaknesses, bar water and fighting (though those can be easily managed). Some teammates that might do well are Shaymin-Sky, Rotom Wash, Conkeldurr, or Landorus himself though you are now weaker to water than you once were. I'd say this core is a more balanced core than defensive core.

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can post a couple, let's see what I can dig up

Salamence (F) @ Salamencite
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 52 Def / 56 SpD / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Protect

Might as well start off with something that fits the current meta pretty well if I do say so myself. Personally, I like to use this with sand so Excadrill has an easier time clearing up some threats. Generally the idea is to be the opposite of that shitty Jirachi + Mence thing people run and focus on Excadrill killing all of the things that want to deal with Salamence so you have an easier time cleaning up with it. Iron Head for every Fairy, EQ for Steel-types that think they can wall Mence in the first place, and Rock Slide for the 18 Million thundurus/zapdos whatever else people want to use. I actually think Excadrill (and ttar) is the best combination for Salamence as it clears pretty much any check to the bulky set that you could think of, throw a Thundurus on there and you're good to go. With Excadrill breaking your opponent for most of the early game, it becomes literally impossible to not set up Salamence in the late game when you focus on a bulkier spread like the on I have. It sets up on 99% of the metagame and just destroys once it's (limited) checks are even damaged a little bit. For the record i'm still voting ban on Salamence cos it's broken.

ps: you can use mold breaker Excadrill if you don't wanna use sand

Second up we have..

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 220 HP / 160 Def / 4 SpA / 12 SpD / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

(must be shiny)

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Tail
- Protect

This is a core I was tinkering with in SPL. Basically, it acts as a Semi Trick-Room team that features Rhydon as one of the main supporters for Sun. Bulky Charizard in it's own right is extremely good, but struggles with Rock, and Electric-Types still (duh). This is where Rhydon comes in, bulkier than Rhyperior, cooler than Rhyperior, and mostly I just like it better. It's ability is one of the main draw points, as it can redirect all Electric-types attack coming from Thundurus, Zapdos, or anything else that tries to get fancy. With it's massive defence it can also act as a very good Rock Slide switch in since it will do nothing to it. Obviously Rhydon is going to make your matchup against Rain a little more difficult, but if you build the rest of your team accordingly you shouldn't have many problems. Cresselia is a good partner, as well as Venusaur.

One of my favourite cores is kind of gimmicky, but still really good (imo at least), and that is....

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

(shiny optional)

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Protect

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- Hydro Pump
- Rock Slide
- Protect

(must also be shiny)

I already know i'm gonna catch shit for this one, but it's just so fun to use. The idea was originally use Rock Slide, and Blizzard Greninja with Abomasnow to catch Pokemon like zard completely off guard. After doing some more researching I found that Darkrai also got Blizzard. Often see as a less-than-average Pokemon, Darkrai is actually quite good if the situation is right. Abomasnow is always seen as an odd choice when Trick Room isn't involved, and even more so now that Camerupt is available to use, but it's always been quite a good Pokemon. It's typing isn't great, but it's stabs are pretty good in the current meta, and it's extremely bulky. Obviously the main thing it does is provide hail support, and it's a really good EQ switch in, but the main point of this core is to do as much damage as possible with Darkrai and Greninja while hail is up. If you can keep offensive momentum, and more importantly your Hail up you should find this core to be extremely useful against a lot of different teams.

Another core that i've been tinkering with as of late involves another support mon that's considering to be kind of rare in the current meta, and an extremely threatening mega

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 218 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 34 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Light Screen
- Roost
- Thunderbolt

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Protect
- Earth Power

Zapdos has always struck me as a Pokemon that was extremely underused. I had a hard time deciding on an item that would fit it best, so I decided to give it a Rock Helmet and make it extremely defensive. The set is similar to Thundurus, but also has recover as well as screen. It's generally just a great annoyer to cause a lot of trouble in the early game. Thunder wave is one of my favourite moves as of late (MEXICOOOOOOOOO) but that's because it's just really good. The main thing Zapdos does is deal with all of those pesky Water Types that Diancie hates to face. Light Screen + Thunder Wave can shut down pretty much any Rain team on it's own and Diancie can deal all of the damage it needs to. Diancie needs no real explanation, it's just the common set. The EV Spread on Zapdos lets it outrun my own Gyarados spread which speed cress tyranitar by one point and focuses on maximizing it's bulk.

The next core is a Trick Room core that is my personal favourite when it comes to Trick Room

Gothitelle @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Charm
- Protect

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 4 Def / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 18 Spe
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Gothitele was really popular for a while and died off randomly, same with Mawile. This core focuses on getting up Trick Room and trapping your opponents to put them in a bad position early. Mawile and Hariyama are super bulky on the special side, so Charm is used to balance that out. It's pretty straight forward in the sense that all you do is keep Gothitelle in and Charm things while Mawile does extreme amounts of damage. Since this is a Trick Room core you'll need a way to deal with Amoonguss before anything, A good suggestion for this is SG Heatran, it's the perfect counter and also fits into a Trick Room team really well.

That's all I got for now because i've already flooded the thread enough as is, but if you guys want anymore cores let me know and ill throw another post together with some other stuff i've used. Mega Gard + Hydreigon comes to mind, Tailwind Aerodactyl with Conkeldurr, I have endless amounts of interesting things o_o

Last edited:

Quiet Time (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Stain (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Heatran / Genesect core has pretty great synergy in multiple ways. The most obvious being the fact that Genesect's only weakness is fire, and Heatran eats that weakness up entirely. The low amount of weaknesses, and great amount of resistances makes for a good amount of freedom when building around. Heatran's #1 counter is probably Landorus-T/Landorus-I, while Genesect can easily outspeed it, and OHKO it with Ice Beam. With the KO, or forced switch of Landorus Heatran is free to set up a sub if the situation allows it. Iron head easily OHKOs Mega-Diancie, which against gives you the liberty to set up.
If necessary Genesect can make for a very useful pivot, even creating momentum with the switch.
Extreme speed is added to the set to guarantee the first move in 90% of situations, even totally ignoring rage powder from pokemon such as Amoonguss.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I edited in some of Mizu's, I really like the Trick Room core. I left out the mence one for now as I don't wana put it there if its going to disappear after the suspect.

Social, I think swapping Genesect over to a special set and having Energy Ball over Espeed would benefit Heatran better as it beats things like Mega Swampert and Rotom-W, and an un-invested Iron Head still OHKOes Diancie. Peoples thoughts?

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Protect

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 188 SpA / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

(Suicune lives +2 Adamant Mega Kang Return with Sitrus, outspeeds Deo-A in TW)

SuiLoom. This is one of my favorite offensive cores to use as it's pretty strong as a base while also being pretty splashable with other offensive mons such Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Metagross. It's also good for forming an offensive FWG which is always great no h8 m8.

Both sets are the standard, Sash Breloom and Tailwind Suicune. The biggest selling point of this core is that Breloom is pretty dangerous under Tailwind, as it can just Spore anything threatening as appropriate. There's synergy between the two too (wew); Breloom can take out opposing Waters like Rotom-W that Suicune can't touch (and Spore anything else really), and Suicune can take out Heatran, Talonflame, Landorus-T, and Shayming-Sky if in Tailwind, all threats to Breloom.

While the core does have problems with Amoonguss and Cresselia, they aren't really that much of a deal since it's pretty easy to add something like Hydreigon or Heatran since both appreciate the Tailwind Cune brings and have synergy with the core. One can also add strong physical attackers with the core such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, or Mega Diancie to pair with the core as they appreciate Cune's ability to destroy Lando-T and Breloom's ability to pressure and get set-up turns with Spore. This is just a great core and should be tried out imo :D

Last edited:
Here's an offensive core I posted in the last thread

Terrakion + Bisharp

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Earthquake/Double Kick/Quick Guard
- Protect

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect

These two do a great job at breaking through the opponent's team, usually on hyper offense. Terrakion does a great job at breaking bulky steel types with close combat, like Heatran, and Ferro. Steels that are neutral to or immune to fighting like Jirachi, Metagross, and Aegislash all lose to Bisharp's Knock Off or Sucker Punch. In addition, one of Terrakion's best switch-ins, Lando-T, is unable to switch into Bisharp for fear of giving it a Defiant boost. These two can basically KO half the meta between the two of them. These two are both weak to fighting and ground type moves, so it would be good to pair them with something that can switch in on them i.e. flying types.

Social, I think swapping Genesect over to a special set and having Energy Ball over Espeed would benefit Heatran better as it beats things like Mega Swampert and Rotom-W, and an un-invested Iron Head still OHKOes Diancie. Peoples thoughts?
I honestly agree with SpaceBass, Social.

Gabe Writes (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

Chaz French (Aegislash) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Wide Guard
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

Kyurem-Black already offers a very strong offensive presence with Ice Beam, and Earth Power. With Aegislash on the field, together they offer quite a bit of offensive pressure.
Aegislash also cover all of Kyub's weaknesses, evenly totally ignoring fighting type moves due to its ghost typing.
I opted for sub on Kyurem because I feel as though sets without it are simply subpar, while Aegislash is running wide guard for some support, and because of Kyub already having sub.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Ok since spaceass hates loomkiss T.T
apparently suiloom is more popular >.>

Even though hariyama+goth+mawile-mega got in somehow smh

Flying Fairy Fuck (Shaymin-Sky) @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Protect
- Air Slash
- Earth Power

(life orb can be focus sash)

Fabulous (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quick Guard
- Protect
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump

(Quick Guard can be taunt or icy wind)

Keldeo+Skymin is an extremely well known core for hyper offense. Adding on a third fire mon, such as talonflame or char y completes the water-fire-grass core. These two mons hit hard and hit fast, everything you want in hyper offense. In addition, they deal with all the common meta threats extremely well. The only thing I've had difficulty with is quick guard mindgames when a talonflame is out. Besides that, seed flare + hydro ohkos everything it touches, and either of these mons' attacks, if supereffective, will kill. In general, these two can be used as a lead or in the back, waiting to take advantage of an opponent's situation to easily sweep the whole team.

Another option that only I used was modest+choice specs skymin because

252+ SpA Choice Specs Shaymin-S Leaf Storm vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 331-390 (94 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

and you don't REALLY need protect if you're a baller let's be honest

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor

MeXiCaN SWAG (Ludicolo) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 80 Def / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Fake Out
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam

S P A C E A S S (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 20 SpA / 52 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Helping Hand
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Most common Rain Core in the universe. Ludicolo hits like a truck, and is super fast too. Invest in def because you don't really need to be more specially bulky, and the less max hp you have the more giga drain restores your bulk. Helping Hand lets you usually ko anything that isn't named cresselia, and cress isn't really a problem cuz rain checks cm cress because 25% moonlight recovery under sun.

Also, real badasses (aka only me) use life orb ludicolo with protect instead of fake out because protect is so much better. And there's really no reason to use fake out on your most damaging mon and letting your support mon do nothing on the side. Granted, fake out and ass vest has its uses but ludicolo with life orb hits like even more of a truck.

As for the Politoed spread, it's actually definitely better than Nollan's spread, which makes me really proud (by 7 def points lol). You can run sitrus or specs, depending on which you want. Sitrus gives more bulk, whereas specs gives you really nice damage. Specs obviously runs 4 attacking moves. Encore+minspeed means you can trap cresselia into using trick room under room, if you want to run that. Rain dance is to reset rain when someone comes along and messes it up (typically char y).

This is a core that i have always liked and it seems to be popping up more and more (low-middle ladder is where is prevails) and that is the Mega-Charizard (Y) and Venusaur core. This core is all about speed and power and basically runs using the sun the Mega-Charizard (Y) provides, this sun then activiates Venusaur's Chlorophyll.

Venusaur @ Coba Berry
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 228 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 20 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder/Hidden Power Ice

Max Sp. Atk is run to provide Venusaur the ability to like a bus with its Stab Giga Drain (replacement can be Grass Pledge and Leaf Storm however most teams run giga drain for survivablity), the 20 speed allows Venusaur to out speed Timid Manetric-Mega whilst its under the sun. the 4 ev's in Defence and Sp. Defence help provide extra bulk for Venusaur. Venusaur's fills the role of a Bulky Special Sweeper that can carry sleep powder for the extra support. Coba Berry is run to help stop the major threat towards this core which is Talonflame:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 232 HP / 4 Def Coba Berry Venusaur: 273-322 (76 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 232 HP / 4 Def Venusaur: 546-644 (152 - 179.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 183-216 (61.6 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Charizard (F) @ Charizardite Y
Trait: Solar Power
EVs: 92 HP / 4 Def / 212 SAtk / 44 SDef / 156 Spd
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash

Mega Charizard (Y)'s main role is to 'set up' sun (by mega evolving) and then to sweep with boosted STAB Heat Wave, Solar Beam provides coverage for water type such as rotom and Keldeo-R. Alternative options for air alash are Overheat/Fire Pledge/Roost and other option for Heat Wave is Flamethrower, is it also worth mentioning that i have seen people carry sunny day on charizard for when the sun runs out. Here's Charizard's magor threats:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 92 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 150-177 (90.9 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Rock Slide vs. 92 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 156-184 (94.5 - 111.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Salamence Rock Slide vs. 92 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 136-160 (82.4 - 96.9%)
4- Atk Life Orb Salamence Rock Slide vs. 92 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 156-187 (94.5 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 92 HP / 44 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 109-130 (66 - 78.7%)
116+ SpA Rotom-W Thunderbolt vs. 92 HP / 44 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 114-134 (69 - 81.2%)
212 SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Sun: 179-211 (60.2 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212 SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence in Sun: 144-171 (43.3 - 51.5%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO
212 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom: 184-217 (76.3 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
212 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 170-201 (47.6 - 56.3%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Diancie + Blaziken is an offensive core I really like:

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Earth Power

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Hasty Nature
- Heat Wave
- Superpower
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Basically Blaziken tackles most of the shit that can beat Diancie and Diancie just steam rolls past everything with diamond storm since they've been softened up by Blaziken. I usually use SubDiancie but for the purposes of general use I just put EP. Hasty on Blaze cuz outrunning Lando-T at +1 was more important, and Mild or w/e didn't pick up any noticeable KO's, Superpower because Focus Blast sucks and Low Kick was less reliable or something (prolly something to do with kanga). Weak vs rain so I usually pair it with like Kyub or Skymin or both.

Diancie + Blaziken is an offensive core I really like:

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Heat Wave
- Superpower
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

You might want to put Fire Blast or Overheat over Heat Wave, just cause Blaziken's Heat Wave is weak as piss.
(I made sure to factor in spread for the heat wave calcs)
252 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 190-226 (58.6 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 291-346 (89.8 - 106.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 346-408 (106.7 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 268-320 (62 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 416-494 (96.2 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 72+ SpD Amoonguss: 494-585 (114.3 - 135.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Jirachi: 226-268 (55.9 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Jirachi: 351-413 (86.8 - 102.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Blaziken Overheat vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Jirachi: 413-486 (102.2 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So yeah, Overheat seems like the best option. You might be able to get away with fire blast tho, amoonguss and rachi are running more physically defensive spreads rn- you might be able to get better results than what i got here with sample sets. Core seems good tho, just a nitpick

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Blaziken @ Life Orb
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Overheat
- Low Kick / Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Protect

I tend to use this set, OHKOes Amooguss with Overheat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)