DOU Break This Team

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
Approved by kamikaze and Memoric | Original Idea by Team Pokepals | OP Adapted from PU's Version | Art by Me
Have you ever faced such a solid team that you thought it was unbeatable? These teams can define the metagame for a short time, yet sooner or later the team's flaws will be exposed and some Pokemon will emerge to break it. The purpose of this competition is to find said weaknesses that can break notorious teams, because deep down we all know that no team is truly invincible.

This project aims to look and see how certain mons that work together can exploit said weakness, or in other words, find a Pokemon or core that can break/destroy the team. This can help fine tune teams and prevent them from getting easily beaten. Anyway, without further ado, here are the rules.

RULES:
1) So essentially how this is going to work is I'm going to post a team that I've asked someone for or they've offered up, and in the following week users will post a Pokemon or core of two that are adept at breaking the team. Then at the end of the week, users will vote on what Pokemon/core they think handles the team the best. Whichever submission gets the most votes will be put into the Hall of Fame, and a new team will be posted at the start of the week. Submissions will be taken Monday thru Friday, and voting will take place on Saturday and Sunday.
2) You can reserve a Pokemon or core, but your reservation will expire in an hour.
3) You can have one to two Pokemon in your submission, and you must have at least three lines of explanation. No slashes in sets are allowed. If you fail to provide an adequate description, your submission will be disregarded. Also, no shitposting.
4) Each person is allowed 1 vote. You can also use the voting period to submit ideas on a team you would like to see broken next.
5) Have fun! n_n​

Last edited:

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Protect

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 244 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Tailwind
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

Our first week's team is Memoric's Tailwind Offense. A team that boasts a reputation for itself, it's been used by many people and has innumerable achievements in tournaments and laddering. However, it is a bit old. Has it lost it's shine yet, or is it still as solid a team as it was day one?

Let's see if you can break this team!

Submissions close Friday September 9th at 11:59 CST.

Last edited:

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 104 Atk / 180 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect

Alright so as much as I love and appreciate the beauty that is team GLENN, this core destroys it almost single-handedly. The popularity of Kang balance like GLENN is exactly what makes both of these mons so good, and what brought about their major popularity in the first place, so

Diancie deals with breloom, latios, heatran, and kang while kyurem finishes breloom of after sash, beats lando and heatran, and walls suicune to death while 2hkoing with fusion bolt. The only thing that really gives the duo trouble is Kang, as neither can KO can off the bat, however neither gets KO'd in return and diancie itself walls kang rather well.

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Azu + Jirachi

3/6 are setup bait (Cune, Tran, LandoT)
3/6 can't come close to denting Jirachi (Kangaskhan, Breloom, Latios)
The important thing to note here is that Jirachi will completely wall those 3 mons, it's not just "oh I'll tank neutral hits pretty well" it's "lol how are you touching me? Have fun clicking resisted moves into Jirachi"
Cune,Tran,LandoT all are pretty much exactly the type of mons you want to see in replay history / team preview if you're planning on bringing Azumarill+Jirachi

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Protect

Last edited:

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
reserving mega garde and lando t

lol everyone trying to do their version of garde plus something

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

This teams best TR check is Fake Out from Kang and sub-Heatran.
Scrafty takes care of both relatively easy and allows Mega Gard to put TR up. Additionally Scrafty patches up Gard's low Defense stat.
This core set up properly will dismantle Glenn. Gard just goes full offensive on Breloom, Suicune, and Latios while still doing a ton to Lando and Kang which Scrafty helps out with. Lum Berry on Scrafty prevents the Breloom spore or a Heatwave burn.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mega Gardevoir + Infernape

Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Encore
- Protect

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Protect

The team's only fairy resist is Heatran which Infernape covers. Infernape also provides young fake out support which can stop one mon from moving and allow garde to spam hyper voice more. If you lead with these two, which you should imo, fake out also pressures lead kanga/breloom/tw setter. Encore Garde is preferred since the team is pretty slow, so if your opp protects on nape's fake out, you can encore them into it. I like sash nape more vs this team since close combat + hyper voice drops kanga/heatran and it allows you to take an eq hit from lando.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Tailwind's biggest nemesis is Trick Room so... Mega Abomasnow + Conkeldurr

Mega Abomasnow in Trick Room does extremely well against the team, knocking out Landorus-T and Breloom through its Sash due to hail damage and dealing tons of damage to Latios + Suicune. However, it has difficulty dealing with Mega Kangaskhan and Heatran, so Conkeldurr is the perfect partner. Not only does it provide Wide Guard support, but it also OHKOs both while having a decent matchup against the entirety of the team. Obviously the core has to be paired with consistent Trick Room setters, such as Goggles Jellicent.

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 168 HP / 88 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Wide Guard

Wood Hammer 2HKOs Suicune where Giga Drain fails to, the spread guarantees that it OHKOs standard Rotom-W. Chose Knock > Ice Punch on Conkeldurr because I already had Ice coverage from Aboma and Knock is more widely useful.

Last edited:
Mega-Gengar really is a pain for this matchup as its shadow tag can stop potential threats from even reaching the field while tailwind is set. Mega Gengar also has a very nice matchup vs Kangaskhan, Latios, and Breloom.

Sub Kyu can rip this team apart as long as tailwind isn't up, which Mega gengar can help to control just through positioning. Ice Beam and Earth power 4 mons super effectively and Suicune is sub bait for Cube, leaving Kang as the best Kyurem check so long as tailwind isn't up.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

Last edited:

FloristtheBudew

I'm just tired
So Memoric's team is really weak to trick room mega gard. Something I doubt was used in the tier commonly at the time of creation. Heatran really adds to helping gard rip through the team. As running goggles helps it control Breloom, and it beats the opposing Heatran due to the slower speed when trick room is active. With hyper voice and eruption used together nothing takes them but Suicune (which does nothing against the gard part and it has to hit hydro to damage Heatran anyway) or Heatran. But both have to be on the field to threaten the pair and we have tools to deal with them when they are on the field regardless.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 92 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Mamoswine @ Life Orb (or if you're feeling lucky, King's Rock :p)
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Protect

No King's Rock is not a serious suggestion for a slash, it's just a meme sigh.
Anyway, Gengar ties with Latios pre-mega and threatens OHKO, or it can just OHKO if it's already evolved. It also beat Kangaskhan, Breloom, and, if it's before it megas and loses Levitate, can safely Wisp Lando-T. Mamoswine outruns and OHKOs Breloom (through sash fuck sash) and Heatran. It also outruns and deals serious damage to Kanga. It threatens KOs on Latios and Lando-T as well, though it doesn't outrun. The one mon these two can't really beat at all is Suicune, but Gengar at least has Taunt to prevent its Tailwind from going up and can trap it in, while you pivot Mamoswine to a more favorable additional teammate.

Last edited:

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
Time to vote! To vote, just post the name of the user you're voting for.

BlueSkiddoWeCanToo
checkmater75
n1n1
DaAwesomeDude1
talkingtree
miltankmilk
FloristtheBudew
Bughouse

Voting ends Monday at noon GMT -5.

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
was going to vote for garde+landot but... no one posted it?

Talkingtree

also do I get anything for winning

Last edited:

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
checkmater wins the first week with four votes! Congrats!

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
Happiness: 0
EVs: 44 HP / 176 Atk / 36 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Frustration
- Sucker Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 24 HP / 156 Atk / 76 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 72 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Flash Cannon

Volcanion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Heat Wave
- Substitute
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Protect

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Protect

With the Azumarill vote happening in just a few days, I thought it'd be fitting to break a team featuring it. This is KyleCole's Kangaskhan Balance. A generally solid team, it's peaked the ladder and made a few appearances in Open. If 5/6 of it's mons are tier 1 it's got to be invincible, right?

Let's see if you can break this team!

Submission close Friday at noon GMT -5.

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Rage Powder
- Protect

This is a trick room core.
This Charizard is strong as possible to do as much damage as possible. To kill Kang, Lando, and Thundy in trick room with Overheat. Sun helps out all my other guys by reducing the power of aqua jet. Amoonguss helps redirect taunts so my TR setter can set. He redirect aqua jets easy and Kang hates to hit him with rocky helmet. I would pair this core with a Hitmontop as another kang check, a lando switch in, and as a way to fake out for TR support or to fake out azu, and have feint so he can break protects for CharY heatwaves and out speed aqua jets.
let us do 3 pokemon imo

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)