[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

In honor of the 20th anniversary of Red/Blue/Green, we have a new online competition
KANTO CLASSIC!

★Participants will receive a special "Lance's Dragonite"!
*Players who are removed from the rankings will not receive this gift
*To be on the rankings, you must play at least 3 battles with a winner/loser

★The method and time to receive the present will be announced in the middle of March when the rankings are announced.

<<Details on the Dragonite>>
■Level:62
■OT:ワタル (or "Lance" in English versions I'm guessing)
■Ability:Inner Focus
■Moves
・Agility
・Slam
Barrier
・Hyper Beam

■Compatible Games
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

■Sign-up Period
2016/2/25(Thr)14:00~3/4(Fri)8:59
*If you have both Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire in your account, you may enter with both games.
*You must sign up for each game

■Competition Period
2016/3/4(Fri)9:00~7(Mon)8:59

■Participation Limit
50,000 (limit subject to change; first come, first served)

■Age Divisions
Junior/Senior Division: Born 2001 or later
Masters Division: Born 2000 or earlier
• Junior Division players are limited to playing between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., based on the eastern-most time zone in each player’s country.

■Ranking Results Announcement
March, 2016 (announcement time subject to change)
■Competition Rules
【Battle Format】
Single Battle
【Eligible Pokemon】No.001~149 in the National Dex

Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 via Poké Transporter can participate in this competition.

【Pokémon to Register in the Battle Box】6 Pokémon between level 1-100
*All Pokémon above level 50 will automatically become level 50 for the duration of each match

【The Use of Items】
In this competition, Pokémon are not allowed to hold items

【Time per Match】Max 60 Minutes
【Time at Team Preview】60 Seconds
【Time per Turn】60 Seconds
【Battles Available per Day】10
Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
>Kanto pkmn only

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So Game Freak decides to cover up their mess with RBY Lance's Dragonite's moveset by making Barrier Dragonite official! It lacks Multiscale and Extremespeed so it's not exactly a Dragonite that you will be seeing a lot in battles. This still doesn't prove Lance's innocence as a dirty hacker since he used three underleveled Dragonites in GSC.

Anyways, here's a Viability Ranking compiled by NOVED, cant say, aniravjain, Demantoid, and myself.

S-RANK: These Pokemon define the metagame. Very low-risk high-reward. Expect to see them everywhere.

Snorlax
Clefable

A+ RANK: These Pokemon are some of the best picks for this comp. They are very good in a majority of situations with little to no support.

Alakazam
Machamp
Slowbro

A- RANK: These Pokemon shine in fewer situations compared to A+, but their flaws are still easily overshadowed by their strengths.

Chansey
Dragonite
Gengar
Golem
Starmie
Zapdos

B+ RANK: These Pokemon have potential to be very good, but only in certain situations. They require a bit more team support to properly function in the metagame.

Rhydon
Jolteon
Magneton
Articuno
Nidoking
Cloyster
Venusaur

B- RANK: These Pokemon shine in fewer situations compared to B+.

Arcanine
Gyarados
Weezing
Aerodactyl
Tentacruel

C RANK: These Pokemon have a few great niches that put them above D, but are inferior in a lot of aspects compared to the above Pokemon.

Exeggutor
Ninetales
Vaporeon
Lapras
Venomoth
Pinsir
Dugtrio
Kangaskhan
Nidoqueen
Seaking

D RANK: These Pokemon have only one good niche or a few minor ones that make them at least usable.

Blastoise
Charizard
Parasect
Kabutops
Omastar
Kingler
Persian
Scyther
Victreebel
Tauros
Dodrio
Moltres
Arbok
Raichu
Rapidash
Hitmonlee
Muk
Jynx
Electabuzz
Magmar
Ditto
Sandslash

Also I should probably specify this here but it's going to be a 6v6 battle.

Last edited:
Alakazam is gonna be on every team no doubt.

Also don't bother using Knock Off. I swear, if I see somebody running Knock Off, I'm done!

Also Hazard users for your convenience:
Spikes: Cloyster, Omastar
Toxic Spikes: Beedrill, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Tentacruel, Cloyster, Venomoth, Weezing, Omastar
Stealth Rock: Golem, Onix, Sandslash, Nidoqueen, Nidoking, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Dugtrio, Marowak, Rhydon, Chansey, Pinsir, Omastar, Kabutops, Aerodactyl

Last edited:
Quiver Pass Venomoth can potentially be a great Pokemon as well. Alazakam with just 1 sweeps entire teams.

That being said though, since transferred Pokemon are usable, Sucker Punch users such as Victreebel and Hitmonlee OHKO Alakazam with it. (The former being good with Drought Ninetales)

This competitions is probably to get people into RBY battling for the upcoming release of RBY games on 3DS virtual console even though the mechanics are so different that almost no strategy from this competition can be applied from this competition to gen 1 battling (or vice versa).

No dark types and few steel types, Chansey with no items and a lot of Poison types... true to gen 1 form,
The special stat has been split into special attack and special defense, there are way more available moves and abilities and physical/special attacks are no longer determined by type, but rather the moves themselves. That's only the start of a list of differences, if you watch a real RBY battle you'll see how one-dimensional it looks compared to gen vi mechanics.
At least the item ban prevents this from becoming another mega kangaskhan dictatorship. I haven't played Battle spot singles for a while, but I know that 6v6 can take a really long time with all of the switching and a 60 minute battle might actually be realistic between 2 stall teams, so I'm a bit surprised the limit is 10 battles per day because that could take several hours.

Last edited:
The special stat has been split into special attack and special defense, there are way more available moves and abilities and physical/special attacks are no longer determined by type, but rather the moves themselves. That's only the start of a list of differences, if you watch a real RBY battle you'll see how one-dimensional it looks compared to gen vi mechanics.
All the stuff I mentioned was less (or not at all) about the RBY differences/similarities and more about the fact it's an extremely favourable meta towards Psychic types, i.e. weakened Chansey (Psyshock is a thing), no Dark types, few Steels and lots of Poisons. Not too many Sucker Punch users really.

I was looking over the old Gen 1 Tiers and noticed Tauros was OU back in the day. I think Tauros with Sheer Force or Intimidate might be a nice add-on to a team. Sheer Force being a way to boost attack power with no items being used.

Tauros is kind of stuck move-set wise, although Role Play could be annoying for someone who does Minimize/Double Team or Baton Pass chain.

I'm wondering how Butterfree would do? Having the most accurate Sleep move in Kanto. 97.5% Sleep Powder, but only 70 base speed, Golbat would be a faster, but way less accurate with Hypnosis.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I was looking over the old Gen 1 Tiers and noticed Tauros was OU back in the day. I think Tauros with Sheer Force or Intimidate might be a nice add-on to a team. Sheer Force being a way to boost attack power with no items being used.
Tauros is kind of stuck move-set wise, although Role Play could be annoying for someone who does Minimize/Double Team or Baton Pass chain.

I'm wondering how Butterfree would do? Having the most accurate Sleep move in Kanto. 97.5% Sleep Powder, but only 70 base speed, Golbat would be a faster, but way less accurate with Hypnosis.
Assuming you're talking about gen 1 with its mechanics Tauros was ou for high speed and a physical Hyper Beam that didn't have a cool down turn if you killed something. Also Role Play copies abilities not stat changes; that's Psych Up which pretty much everything gets.

Aerodactyl is looking pretty good here being one of the fastest available speeds and being able to Pursuit trap weakened Alakazam.

Technically the most accurate sleep move in Lanto is Parasect's Spore, though that thing sucks. I've had some success w/ Tauros in Random Battle, so it seems reasonable that it may see use here.

Sucker Punch is gonna be a big thing here. Kangaskhan and Raticate seem questionable, so is Nidoking the best for it? Normally I prefer Queen, but if Psychic spam is gonna be a thing then Nidoking gets the nod. Dig trio also gets SP, but it bunches weaknesses w/ Nidoking, so I'm not sure about using both.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Butterfree doesn't as good as something like Venomoth would be here, as it's only really good set is Sleep Powder Quiver Dance and that gets screwed by Stealth Rock and can't use Sash. At least Venomoth can Baton Pass its boosts to something threatening like Gengar, or Alakazam, or Nidoking...

Parasect isn't objectively bad. While being weak to Fire and Flying, these types aren't really common on good things in Kanto, with otherwise good Pokémon like Pidgeot and Charizard losing their megas and potentially losing viability as a result. Its typing does, however, grant it key resistances to Water, Grass, Ground and Fighting, which are rather more common, and has the bulk to take at least one Ice or Rock-type coverage move. Spore SubSeed could be fun for dealing with Water-type sweepers like Gyarados. It's unfortunate that sun is the only available weather...

Also going to name-drop Clefable, it's the best Fairy in Kanto (don't use Wigglytuff please) and it can do a bunch of the things that it can in standard OU like set Stealth Rock, boost with Calm Mind and paralyse things. Also the only Steel type is Magneton so it's not as hampered as it would otherwise be, although the format will be saturated with Poison-types (Nidos, Tentacruel, Venusaur, Gengar...)

Technically the most accurate sleep move in Lanto is Parasect's Spore, though that thing sucks. I've had some success w/ Tauros in Random Battle, so it seems reasonable that it may see use here.
I forgot about Spore.

I have not played Pokémon in awhile, college and nobody into competitive battling in my circle of friends.

I used Tauros for awhile in X/Y battles and did surprisingly well with him in Doubles. Although looking at this Kanto Classic Intimidate might not be as effective. Looks special heavy, plus if Wigglytuff gets any use Competitive could be nasty.

Assuming you're talking about gen 1 with its mechanics Tauros was ou for high speed and a physical Hyper Beam that didn't have a cool down turn if you killed something. Also Role Play copies abilities not stat changes; that's Psych Up which pretty much everything gets.

Aerodactyl is looking pretty good here being one of the fastest available speeds and being able to Pursuit trap weakened Alakazam.
I misread the move description for Role Play.

And yes I looked at Smogon's Gen 1 tiers for the OU status, so I was going completely off the rating and not any other details.

Like I said, I have not played in awhile. I have not played singles in even longer, so hoping this gen1 contest will help me get the basics down.

I don't think hyper offense is going to work here without boosting items, you'll need a more traditional "balanced" team with offense and defense on both sides of the spectrum, and probably a cleric or status absorbtion. I think one of Chansey/Clefable on your team is gonna be important and the prime physical setup sweepers will obviously be Gyarados and Dragonite, the only Dragon Dancers with decent stats and ability.

What would be the biggest threats to a Clefable/Alakazam core? They've got some nice synergy in this.
Pretty sure the main one is Sucker Punch Nidoking.

4 Atk Nidoking Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 218-258 (86.8 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

A little more Atk investment is necessary w/o an item, but Alakazam's awful bulk means it's easy enough to KO it Sucker Punch. Perhaps that'll popularize variants w/ Substitute, whichd suck. Clef obviously eating giant damage from STAB Sludge Wave. Not quite a KO, but definitely a 2HKO, and Clef can't T- wave or do much w/ Moonblast.

Clefable
Ability: Magic Guard / Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Minimize
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Stored Power

This is going to be an absolute cancer that is going to force people to bring haze/roar. Magneton / Poisons can all be handled somewhat by Dugtrio.

Clefable
Ability: Magic Guard / Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Minimize
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Stored Power

This is going to be an absolute cancer that is going to force people to bring haze/roar. Magneton / Poisons can all be handled somewhat by Dugtrio.

Would Aerial Ace Scyther be a good choice? It could whittle down a max HP & Defence Unaware Clef in at least 3 hits. (Just incase your Haze/Roar user is KOed)

Not necessarily better, just an alternative. Aerial ace wouldn't miss. Body slam hits with double power.
Body slam also doesn't miss. Same with Stomp, Steamroller, Dragon Rush, Flying Press, and Phantom Force, but those moves have limited usefulness outside of hitting clefable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)