Dewgong (Gen 4, full revamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I had written this some time ago, but with all these changes, it may need some updating, I'll do what I can, but help is welcomed.

----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/dewgong

[SET]
name: Rain Rest
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Surf
move 3: Ice Beam / Aqua Jet / Toxic
move 4: Rest
item: Damp Rock / Leftovers
ability: Hydration
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Dewgong is one of only 3 Pokemon that are able to learn the ability Hydration. The plan is simple really; set-up Rain Dance so it gives Surf, one of your STAB moves, another boost in power. You have the option to use your secondary STAB move, Ice Beam, which will help Dewgong eliminate Grass-type Pokemon that can be troublesome. Toxic is another option that can be used in the 3rd slot here, as there are certain Pokemon that bother Dewgong such as Grumpig and bulky Water-type Pokemon. Aqua Jet may seem redundant with a negative nature and no Attack EVs, but Aqua Jet gets STAB and, together with Rain Dance conditions, can deal pretty nice damage as well.</p>

[SET]
name: Team Player
move 2: Encore
move 3: Surf
nature: Calm / Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set seems to be almost the same as the previous one, but it actually is played very differently, since it focuses on Encoring an Electric move to help another Pokémon to set up. Dewgong has pretty good Special Defense and HP which allows it to survive even certain STABed Thunderbolts. After a Thunderbolt is Encored, there are many Pokémon that can setup if the opponent falls in the trap of staying in. Among others, Dugtrio can be switched in to allow an almost certainly free KO, Electivire can get a Motor Drive boost by switching in, which could potentially sweep a whole team, and Rhyperior or Garchomp can also get a free switch-in and be allowed a Swords Dance. Unlike Walrein, Dewgong can then use Rain Dance and Rest to repeat this strategy as often as necessary.</p>

<p>If you opt to use Surf, use a Calm nature. If you prefer a priority move like Aqua Jet, use a Careful nature.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Surf
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Signal Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Electric
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 252 Spe / 4 HP / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The offensive moveset of Dewgong. Dewgong's physical attacking movepool isn't really the best but it's special attacking movepool is something to consider. You first slot is Surf, which should be the "must be" of the moveset, as its one of your two main STAB moves. Ice Beam is your secondary STAB move, which will help eliminate troublesome Grass-type Pokemon and such. Surprisingly, you have Signal Beam on the set. Signal Beam is here for one good reason: Psychic-types in UU. The Psychic-types that its referring to are Hypno and Grumpig, which have the ability to handle special sweepers in UU with much ease, and Dewgong isn't an exception. Finally, in this last slot you have two Hidden Power options to choose from; Hidden Power Grass and Hidden Power Electric. Hidden Power Grass is an option here due to the abundance of Water-type Pokemon that have they ability Water Absorb, therefore making Dewgong completely useless, an example of such Pokemon would be Quagsire. Hidden Power Electric can be used for other Water-type Pokemon, but Hidden Power Grass is recommended the most to hit Pokemon like Lanturn too.</p>

<p>The EVs don't really have a meaning here, it's just the regular EV spread for any Special Sweeper. If you go with a Modest nature, Dewgong hits a fair 393 Special Attack stat, while it leaves you at 239 in Speed stat, which leaves you at Speed tie with a Poliwrath that have neutral nature and max Speed EVs. If you decide to go with Timid, it will leave Dewgong's Special Attack at 358, and it will have it's Speed at 262, which gives enough Speed to outpace both Absol and Blastoise that have max Speed EVs and neutral natures.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>The Rain Rest set of Dewgong can also go physical attacking if one wishes to do so, all you need to do is replace Surf and Ice Beam with Waterfall (or Aqua Tail) and Avalanche in the first set, and then fix the EVs and nature to 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Atk and Adamant. Ice Shard is a really poor option for Dewgong, as it's base 70 Attack stat isn't enough for Ice Shard to hit hard, even if Dewgong is equipped with a Choice Band. Signal Beam has already been mentioned in the Choice Specs set of Dewgong, but can also be an option to any of the previous sets, though its not really going to be as effective. Hidden Power Psychic can be an option to any of the mentioned Hidden Powers on the Choice Specs set, as it was said before, you can outspeed Hitmontop and Hitmonchan (not Hitmonlee, it's base 87 Speed stat is too much) and regardless you outspeed Venusaur, so Hidden Power Psychic gimmicky is option, but can help eliminate said Pokemon. Dewgong can try pseudo-hazing with Perish Song, but this is usually better left to more defensive Pokemon.</p>

[EVs]
<p>Maximizing Dewgong’s HP to 384 not only allows maximum HP for Resting, but also maximum Leftovers recovery if you go with Leftovers. Since Dewgong invariably will be using Rest, maximizing it's HP is desirable. For the first set, maximize Special Attack (or Attack if you go with the physical moves). For the second one, you could give Dewgong a bit of Defense EVs in order to be able to Encore physical Electric moves as well as special. The Choice Specs set is just standard special sweeper EV spread, they won't really be doing a lot of damage thanks to it's low base Special Attack, but STAB Surf hurts.</p>

[OPINION]
<p>Dewgong desperately needed to be given something that would set it apart from the other Water/Ice-types, and Game Freak duly obliged, giving it Hydration. While this does not make Dewgong an overused Pokémon by any means, it improves Dewgong’s usability to some extent. Dewgong could do so little prior to DPP that it cannot do much else other than try to abuse Hydration. It's defenses certainly allow this to happen, though.</p>

[COUNTERS]
<p>The majority of Water-type Pokemon can counter Dewgong, unfortunately. Water Absorb Pokemon, such as Quagsire and Lapras completely wall Dewgong, though Hidden Power Grass does a good job with Quagsire. Poliwrath can be called the best counter to Dewgong, even with the lack of Water Absorb, Dewgong's main STAB moves won't be doing much to it, while Poliwrath can OHKO back with a Fighting-type move thanks to its STAB.</p>

Just a note, in the first set you make mention that Dewgong is one of three pkmn to "learn" Hydratoin. I think the word "have" is more appropriate there, as abilities are not learned.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Team Player
move 2: Encore
move 3: Surf
nature: Calm / Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

Among others, Dugtrio can be switched in to allow an almost certainly free KO, Electivire can get a Motor Drive boost by switching in, which could potentially sweep a whole team, and Rhyperior or Garchomp can also get a free switch-in and be allowed a Swords Dance. Unlike Walrein, Dewgong can then use Rain Dance and Rest to repeat this strategy as often as necessary.</p>
Garchomp is Uber. I wouldn't mention it, unless it becomes OU after Stage 3.

Also, you need team updates.

I don't see why signal beam is a necessary option - it has 150 power against Psychic types, while Surf/Ice Beam have 142.5.

I realize that there aren't many more useful options (no more useful special attacking options), but maybe it could be replaced with something else?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure if you're aware, Venom, but in your absence we have started upgrading the analyses with team options section for every set, as well as a [Team Options] section in the analysis itself.

You can find more information here regarding what we're looking for: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53525

I'll give you a couple of days to fix this up to meet current standards. What you have is certainly an upgrade from the current analysis, but it needs to be brought up to pace with the other analysis upgrades.

I think some mention should be made of Phione. Specifically, what Dewgong can do that Phione can't. (they're already in those sets - Encore, Ice STAB, Aqua Jet - but I think they should be mentioned explicitly as Dewgong's specialty, since without them, Phione is a much better Hydration abuser due to his typing. In fact, I would also remove Toxic.)

I don't think the Specs set is good enough to include. It has 70 / 70 sweeping stats and a relatively useless ability for a Choice Pokémon. It's outclassed by numerous Water- and Ice-types, namely Walrein, Lapras, Glaceon, and even Mantine. And that's just in NU. Specs Dewgong should by no stretch be used in UU (use Milotic instead).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)