Detective Pikachu (Possible Spoilers)

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
*In thunderous voice* THIS THREAD, RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Yeah, been a while since we heard Detective Pikachu movie news but it's still happening apparently. This time its news of the director: Rob Letterman has been selected. Other movies Rob Letterman had directed is Shark Tale (which he also wrote), Monsters vs. Aliens, 2010's Gulliver's Travels (which the Pokemon site conveniently forgot to mention), and 2015's Goosebumps.

They also announced distribution details: Universal Pictures will release the film outside of Japan and Toho will handle it within Japan. They made sure to mention both were parters with Legendary.

They also said this film is a "groundbreaking live-action film". Tooting your own horn their, Pokemon Company?

Thoughts?
I hope they don't make it too American.
Like how the Super Marios brothers movie was way too American, so that the American-ness kind of ruined it.

Slight American influence is cool though, since American films are still the leading in the global film industries.

I hope they don't make it too American.
Like how the Super Marios brothers movie was way too American, so that the American-ness kind of ruined it.

Slight American influence is cool though, since American films are still the leading in the global film industries.
That was not the Mario movie's problem. The problem with that movie is that it made really no sense (in the David Lynch sense) and had almost 0% to do with the games other than the fact that Mario and Luigi were in it and a bunch of characters were named the same thing.

Raising this from the dead because a bomb just dropped, the Detective Pikachu live action movie is being co-written by Alex Hirsch of Gravity Falls and Nicole Perlman from Guardians of the Galaxy.

And today they announced that Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds has signed on to provide the voice for Pikachu.
upload_2017-12-6_19-56-10.png
upload_2017-12-6_19-56-41.png

Others considered for the role were Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Hugh Jackman, and Mark Wahlberg.

Now excuse me as I need to go scream in a snowfield for an hour to make sure I'm not dreaming and really did just type all this.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Huh, so we might actually be getting the game maybe? Or at least Europe will.
Serebii said:
The European video game rating board, PEGI, has put out a rating for the Nintendo 3DS title, Detective Pikachu. This game was released in Japan last year and features you playing as Tim Goodman, teaming with his father's Pikachu, in order to solve various mysteries in the nearby city, as well as uncover the mystery of the disappearance of Tim's father. Currently no release date is known but we'll provide full details as they come.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Just a reminder, the Detective Pikachu in the game ISN'T voiced by Ryan Reynolds. Going by Youtube comments, the game's Detective Pikachu is voiced by Kaiji Tang, who seems to be doing a Danny Devito imitation(?). Eitherway, what's important he sounds like a rough and grumpy detective guy.

Trailer sort of softened the tone of the original Japanese trailer, especially when it comes to Detective Pikachu's lechery, though I think it gets his prideful attitude through enough.

Some additional info:
1. A full retail copy of the game is coming out internationally on March 28, 2018. This game isn't only the first game but it also continues the search for the main human character's, Tim Goodman, missing father. It introduces new characters such as police lieutenant Brad McMaster (and his Manectric) and Mike Baker, a man who worked with Tim's father.
2. A Detective Pikachu Amiibo is coming out. The Amiibo is twice as big as a normal Amiibo. Used in the game, it unlocks video hints.

3. And here's the box art:

Nintendo's attempts to keep the 3DS line alive even though all other devs have moved to the Switch.

I may consider getting this game... now, I found something weird about the spanish version... because the trailer wasn't dubbed - it's just a subbed version the english trailer with some of the weirdiest puns you could even imagine. If this is how the game will be released in spanish, it would be a first among Pokemon games that have voices.

Karxrida

Going by Youtube comments, the game's Detective Pikachu is voiced by Kaiji Tang, who seems to be doing a Danny Devito imitation(?).
It's definitely Kaiji Tang -- I recognized it as his voice pretty quickly. I don't think Tang's actually doing an impression, though I'm not familiar enough with Danny Devito's career outside of Hercules to make the call.

General lipsynch in the trailer was terrible (which will be really distracting when playing the game), but the VA work was decent.

I wonder why the animators couldn't simply have the pretty anime CGI feel to the Pokémon, especially if Detective Pikachu seems like it will retain his anime appearance. Tokusatsu series and other merchandise-driven series like Digimon can pull it off just fine (Appmon's CGI is lovely), so why can't Pokémon? To be honest, I would have liked the idea of seeing toon Pokémon among a bunch of real humans,, only for someone in-universe to literally acknowledge them as a cute hand-drawn or CGI style.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'd say maybe using models similar in style to Pokken Tournament, still cartoony but high quality textures for fur, hair, scales, skin, etc..

Because the thing is, you can't make a Pokemon not look cartoony without it becoming unrecognizable or ugly. Better to let them remain cartoony but with high quality textures and the animators making sure to apply believable physics (like making Pokemon feel like they have weight to them when running/jumping and have impact when they hit something or are landing from a fall). Would it look fake? Yes, yes it will, because Pokemon are creatures that can't naturally exist. So let Pokemon exist in their own way, don't try to force realistic textures onto them cause it'll just look ugly and no one would want it. It's going to have to be something that suspension of disbelief handles, as long as the writers and animators make it act like a living creature and have a natural personality it'll be accepted to exist within the movie's universe.

Karxrida

Maybe it's because I'm on my phone, but I'm not seeing any Pancham images.

Considering how this movie is relatively early in its development, it's not inconceivable that they're not done with the CGI.

Maybe it's because I'm on my phone, but I'm not seeing any Pancham images.

Considering how this movie is relatively early in its development, it's not inconceivable that they're not done with the CGI.
You have to scroll down to the middle of the article

or see them in the original tweet

in unrelated news this is how you do pokemon in the real world

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
A New Trailer:
Not a lot of excitement, but there's certainly some intriguing bits. There's a "f*** this s***" Mewtwo (hope it wasn't planning on that being a surprise. Considering Mewtwo has a capability of destroying entire cities, let alone a human and a Pikachu that can't battle, this should make for a tense scenario with a Mewtwo that has a chip on its shoulder), a Trevenant who didn't get its morning coffee, a "don't get the door, I'll just crash through the glass dome ceiling" Noivern, and Krokoroks so hot tempered you need a fire extinguisher to take them down. Also Detective Pikachu dies because it looks underneath a Mimikyu's disguise (and Mimikyu didn't try stopping it at all, I'm beginning to think the anime's portrayal of Mimikyu is the more accurate one than what the dex says).

Demo: In March there will be a demo of the start of the game that'll transfer your progression over to the actual game.

3DS Theme: Some retailers will be giving out a code for a Detective Pikachu 3DS theme.

Physical Pre-Order: Pre-Orders at the Pokemon Center in Japan will give a storybook titled "Detective Pikachu ~Episode 0: Eevee's Request~".

Last edited:
Also Detective Pikachu dies because it looks underneath a Mimikyu's disguise (and Mimikyu didn't try stopping it at all, I'm beginning to think the anime's portrayal of Mimikyu is the more accurate one than what the dex says).
Uh... Mimikyu is backing off when Pikachu is trying to look under the costume.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)