ORAS OU Darkest Before Dawn [#1 Peak, Qualified for OLT]

Googly

Arcadia
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hey there Smogon! With Generation 7 on the horizon, I thought I'd RMT one of my favourite builds featuring the original sun and moon Pokemon, Espeon and Umbreon! The team made its first tournament appearance in WCoP and I've since used it (among other teams) to qualify for this year's OLT and peak #1 on the ladder. Obviously it's by no means perfect and has a few flaws, but even still it's been a pretty successful team for me and alot of fun to use too!​

Team at a Glance

So I guess you'd call this a stall team, though it's obviously not your usual Chansey + Sableye squad. Unlike alot of typical stall teams today, which many might describe as being autopilot and formulaic, this team's objective is not to just simply survive and outlast the opponent. Instead it actively wears down the opposing team, working to seize an opportunity to win the game through a number of different methods. It has the tools to punish passive players as well as to withstand more aggressive styles.

The team itself is based around the support Dugtrio provides by eliminating certain threats. I've basically picked out Pokemon that I think synergise well together, support each other effectively, and can thrive with those threats removed.

Teambuilding Process

This team came about after my buddy njnp gave me a cool core to build around, Dugtrio + Baton Pass Espeon. The idea behind this was that Espeon can lure in the things which Dugtrio likes trap, namely Pursuit trappers like Tyranitar and Weavile.

I actually wasn't sure what to run on Espeon aside from Baton Pass. The only other time I'd seen Espeon run Baton Pass was on those old Baton Pass chains. So I decided to just rip the set from that and the team ended up evolving around it. Since I had Calm Mind + Baton Pass I started looking for Pokemon that would benefit from receiving Espeon's boosts. This was during that time in ORAS when Medicham was 'out of control' and there were even whispers about it being suspected, so when I found that Cofagrigus was a suitable candidate I was sold. Being a special attacker with already sky-high defense and Will-o-Wisp to further cripple physical threats, all it needed was some more bulk on the special side and a bit more power behind its attacks, making it a perfect Baton Pass recipient.

When I'm building a team, one of the requirements is that it has to have Umbreon and this was the perfect opportunity to pair it with its sibling Espeon to make a cool Eeveelution duo thing. Okay, legit though, after adding Cofagrigus, Umbreon seemed like a really good fit here. It's a great special wall that synergises well with Cofagrigus and is able to pass it wishes when Pain Split isn't enough to keep the coffin healthy. It also gave me a cleric, and since this team was starting to look pretty defensive, I was going to need one.

Now I desperately needed something to cover Fairy types like Diancie and Gardevoir, and Espeon certainly does not qualify as hazard control. So I opted for specially defensive Skarmory to handle those Fairies and Defog away any hazards that might slip past Espeon.

I initially had Mega Latias here, but I quickly realised that it opened up far too many weaknesses, namely Azumarill. So instead, I went with a Mega that's been rather slept on recently, Mega Venusaur. Despite arguments that it is inferior to other bulky Grasses in the tier, it patched up the team quite nicely and has proven to be a great secondary Baton Pass recipient.

Team Analysis

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
Moves: Will-O-Wisp / Hex / Pain Split / Toxic Spikes

Cofagrigus is the team's primary physical wall as well as my main way of spreading status. Therefore I've maximised its defense, with the remaining EVs invested in speed to outrun everything in that crowded base 30 speed tier. The moveset here is pretty standard. Wisp cripples physical threats and whittles them down. Pain Split is Cofag's only form of recovery outside of Rest, and Toxic Spikes are a huge asset for a defensive squad like this, especially against heavily grounded teams lacking a poison type. Hex was chosen over Shadow Ball as most targets will be poisoned or burned and the power difference is quite significant. Also, should Cofagrigus receive some Calm Mind boosts from Espeon, it becomes a fearsome juggernaut that will power through any unprepared team.

The amount of physical threats that Cofagrigus checks is actually insane thanks to its massive defense stat, access to Will-o-Wisp and its unique ability. Many physical attackers are reliant on their abilities to be effective such as Lopunny, Medicham, Scizor and Pinsir, who are severely neutered or even rendered useless after having their ability removed by Mummy. However, being the only dedicated physical wall on the team, Cofagrigus will be switching into physical attackers alot, so keeping it healthy is essential. I'm always having to keep a watchful eye on Cofagrigus's HP, making sure it can switch in on what it needs to and be able to burn them or force them out. When Pain Split isn't enough, as it often isn't, I'll try to pass it Wishes from Umbreon or get it in on free turns for the Leftovers recovery.

As this team is focused on controlling hazards, I'll try to status the opponent's rocker as soon as possible. Once burned or poisoned, I can use Espeon or Skarmory to deny rocks for the rest of the game. The only exception to this is Heatran, which can be trapped by Dugtrio.

Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 27 SpD
Nature: Hasty (+Spe, -Def)
Moves: Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Reversal

Dugtrio is the spit holding this team together. Its ability to trap and remove specific threats is something we haven't really seen since Gothitelle's reign. Of course, Dugtrio's no Gothitelle, but what it does trap it does so very well. Tyranitar, Heatran, Bisharp, Charizard-X, Volcarona and Weavile are just a few of the Pokemon which are trapped and eliminated by Dugtrio (though some will need a bit of prior damage.) It's also no coincidence that these are the same Pokemon that give the rest of the team trouble, and with Dugtrio I am able to remove them effectively.

Earthquake and Reversal are standard on any Dugtrio, as they are by far its hardest hitting moves and allow it to reliably take out those aforementioned threats. Defense is minimised and the given HP IVs leave Dugtrio with 1 HP after 2 Seismic Tosses, making Reversal as strong as possible. In the unideal situation when Dugtrio is forced to hard switch in on Heatran, 27 IVs in Special Defense is the minimum amount required for it to survive a Lava Plume should it burn. Stone Edge is in the third slot for other troublesome Pokemon such as Charizard-Y, Talonflame or a Pinsir that's gotten out of hand. Unfortunately, Dugtrio also ended up with the job of laying Stealth Rocks, which isn't something it's particularly good at. Careful timing is key when setting up Rocks, as Dugtrio will usually only have one shot at it.

While Dugtrio's main purpose is removing problematic Pokemon and then getting up Stealth Rock if it can, its usefulness extends beyond this. With Cofagrigus throwing out Wisps and Toxic Spikes, the opposing team will be getting whittled. Eventually the opponent's Pokemon will be worn down enough to where they're in range of one of Dugtrio's attacks. In some games it's just a matter of getting Dugtrio in to trap and pick off weakened foes one by one.

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize / Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
Moves: Foul Play / Heal Bell / Wish / Protect

Anyone who knows me won't be too surprised to see Umbreon here. Many people dismiss Umbreon as being too passive and outclassed as a cleric, when in reality it can be very tough to take down and as ridiculous as it might sound, is perfectly capable of soloing teams with Foul Play alone. It plays a similar role to that in my previous RMT, so I won't go into too much detail on what it does.

Maximum investment in Special Defense lets Umbreon take on almost every special attacker you can think of, besides Fairies that is. Even without Defense investment, many physical attackers will still struggle to do damage to Umbreon, and the stronger they are, the more Foul Play is going to hurt. Some of the Pokemon which Umbreon can beat 1v1 include Gengar, Alakazam, Tornadus-T, Latios, mixed/special Kyurem-B and Nidoking. It's also not a bad switchin for Volcanion and Charizard-Y either.

Synchronize is the more 'useful' ability, punishing Pokemon like Sableye and Thunder Wave Clefable, as well as Scald users. However, there have been a number of times when I've lost a game because of a lucky flinch on Umbreon. Inner Focus may seem like the inferior option, but there have been times where I really wished I had it. It also makes it a solid Jirachi answer... not that the team is really lacking one.

/
/

Item: Leftovers / Colbur Berry / Kee Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
Moves: Calm Mind / Stored Power / Morning Sun / Baton Pass

Espeon functions similarly to Mega Sableye in that it keeps hazards off my side of the field. I'll admit that Mega Sableye is a far superior Magic Bouncer to Espeon, but that's not to say Espeon doesn't have its advantages. With the surge in popularity of Stealth Rock on Clefable, it's good to have a Magic Bouncer that can eat Moonblasts. It's also not bad at keeping other hazard setters in check, especially if Cofagrigus manages to get a burn off on them. Bouncing back hazards is not Espeon's only function however, which is what really sets it apart from Mega Sableye.

Calm Mind + Stored Power is a deadly combination that can very easily sweep through passive teams lacking a Dark type. It also lets Espeon beat almost every other Calm Mind Pokemon in the tier, especially if they're coming in on a Toxic Spike or if they've already been burned, as they're forced to recover more often, giving Espeon more opportunities to set up. It doesn't matter how many boosts the opponent gets, nothing is eating a 260 base powered STAB move coming off 1184 special attack! However, if Espeon is not in a good position to sweep, there's still a good chance one of its teammates is. Espeon is able to Baton Pass its accumulated Calm Mind boosts, usually sending them to either Cofagrigus and Venusaur. Baton Pass also gets Dugtrio in safely, and Espeon is very good at luring in the Pokemon that Dugtrio needs to trap. Morning Sun is Espeon's best recovery option on this set.

28 Speed EVs allow Espeon to outpace positive natured based 70s, while still being slower than max speed Heatran, meaning Espeon can eat a Lava Plume, then Baton Pass out safely to Dugtrio. The rest is invested in HP and defense, as Espeon needs all the physical bulk it can get. This allows it to take on Skarmory and Ferrothorn better, eat boosted Psyshocks from the likes of Slowbro, as well as survive Scarf Tyranitar's Crunch or Life Orb Weavile's Knock Off. Even banded Weavile won't always be able to OHKO Espeon, though Colbur Berry can be run over Leftovers if this is a concern. Kee Berry can also be run to give Espeon that extra boost in defense, though Leftovers is usually the superior option.

/

Item: Shed Shell / Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
Moves: Iron Head / Defog / Roost / Whirlwind

Specially defensive Skarmory patches various weaknesses on the team, provides hazard removal and takes the pressure off of both Umbreon and Cofagrigus. Since Skarmory is the designated Fairy counter, Iron Head is the attacking move of choice here, allowing it to beat Pokemon like Gardevoir and Diancie. Defog is necessary to remove hazards, which is vital for Dugtrio to preserve its sash. Roost keeps Skarmory healthy while Whirlwind was chosen as the final move for any set-up sweepers that might get out of hand such as Landorus-T and Excadrill. Whirlwind also helps spread poison once Cofagrigus has gotten a Toxic Spike up. However, I've recently considered running Counter instead of Whirlwind to ease the burden on Cofagrigus to handle physical attackers.

Skarmory's role on the team is pretty straight forward, and it is surprisingly hard to beat once Dugtrio has done its job of removing its counters. Sometimes a game can be won simply by spamming Iron Head and Roost once Toxic Spikes have been set up. The choice between Shed Shell and Leftovers really just depends on how common Magnezone is at the time. Skarmory obviously appreciates Leftovers recovery, but if there's a good chance of running into a Magnezone, Shed Shell is the better choice, allowing Skarmory to safely switch into Dugtrio and turn the tables on the trapper.

Item: Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll -> Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpA / 20 Spe
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
Moves: Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / Synthesis / Hidden Power [Fire]

Mega Venusaur has fallen out of favour over time and as a result people have forgotten just how potent of a threat it can be. Even without investment in any of its defenses, it's still very bulky with 248 EVs in HP, allowing it to wall a good chunk of the meta. In particular, it handles Keldeo, Thundurus, Manectric, Serperior, Azumarill, Breloom and Manaphy lacking Psychic, all of which are annoying to the rest of the team. 240 EVs are invested in Special Attack to give Venusaur some power behind its attacks, which is necessary for it to be able to beat the Pokemon which it walls. 20 speed EVs allow Venusaur to outspeed Adamant Azumarill as well as some less notable threats.

Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are the STAB moves of choice, with Hidden Power Fire rounding off its coverage to hit everything in OU for at least neutral damage, besides Heatran which is trapped by Dugtrio. Synthesis is essential for keeping Venusaur healthy and with Dugtrio being able to remove Tyranitar, its recovery will rarely be hindered by sandstorm. Chlorophyll is the ability of choice here, which is useful when facing Charizard-Y.

Like Cofagrigus, Venusaur becomes even scarier to face after receiving some boosts from Espeon. Only the strongest Flying types and physical attackers stand any chance of breaking a boosted Mega Venusaur, while even Chansey can't stomach its +6 attacks. It isn't troubled by Unaware Pokemon either, since both Quagsire and Clefable topple to Venusaur's STABs. Stall can't wall it and offense struggles to break it, which has made Venusaur a solid win-condition in countless matches.

Threats
Talonflame
Probably the most common threat to this team. Unlike other physical threats it can't be burned, but there are ways to play around it and it is easily pressured by Stealth Rock.
Banded Talonflame, while it has no switchins, is easily whittled and is beaten by Umbreon 1v1.
Bulky Talonflame with no attack investment only does just over half to Venusaur with Brave Bird, while a +3 Sludge Bomb will always knock it out after recoil damage.
Skarmory can Whirlwind SD variants lacking Flare Blitz, should they get out of hand.
Offensive SD is by far the hardest to play around, as Umbreon needs to be at full if it's to stand any chance of taking a hit and retaliating with Foul Play.
Dugtrio can obviously OHKO with Stone Edge, but getting it in safely is the difficult part. Espeon can eat an unboosted Brave Bird and Baton Pass to Dugtrio, or Cofagrigus can remove Gale Wings with Mummy so it can no longer move before Dugtrio, as demonstrated in this replay.

Charizard-Y
A very potent threat given that I have no fire resists and it cannot be trapped by Dugtrio. However the team is certainly equipped with the tools to beat it.
It is easily pressured by Stealth Rock and as long as Dugtrio is around it can nail it with Stone Edge.
Umbreon can somewhat eat its attacks and try to PP stall them.
Before Mega Evolving, Venusaur is able to outspeed under the sun thanks to Chlorophyll.

Substitute Mega Heracross
With Cofagrigus as my only way of handling Mega Heracross, one might wonder how I deal with Substitute variants. Obviously I can't burn them and Hex doesn't even break its sub. However, as long as I have a Toxic Spike up, Heracross won't be able to sweep my team. In this replay, I get up a TSpike early game, ensuring Heracross can't sweep me later.

Calm Mind Reuniclus
One of the few Calm Mind sweepers that Espeon struggles against, especially since it cannot be whittled by status thanks to Magic Guard.
Skarmory can Whirlwind it out, but this is only a temporary solution.
My only means of actually beating this Pokemon is by passing boosts to Cofagrigus, without letting Reuniclus get too many of its own.

Nasty Plot Togekiss
As with most stall teams, this is an enormous threat. While it's not impossible to overcome, it is very difficult.
If Espeon manages to set up before Togekiss does, it has a good chance of beating it.
Skarmory can attempt to Whirlwind it before it gets too many boosts.
It is possible to PP stall Air Slash, especially if Espeon can pass a couple of boosts to either Skarmory or Umbreon.

Psychic Manaphy
Broken mon. Click x.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-171949 - My WCoP match against K-12 where I use Espeon to deny rocks and get Dugtrio in safely to trap his Magma Storm Heatran. Whirlwind Skarmory prevents any Nastypass shenanigans from Celebi and I'm able to slowly whittle down his team with Toxic Spikes.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-427274072 - A battle against Leftiez when we ran into each other during cycle 4 of OLT. After removing his Tyranitar with Dugtrio, Cofagrigus is able to go ham and Umbreon cleans up.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-427443919 - Despite misplaying early game, once Gardevoir is eliminated I'm able to make an epic comeback with Venusaur!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-428963465 - I go up against Telegend! I hold off on Mega Evolving my Venusaur in case I need Chlorophyll for a potential Charizard-Y.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-429036323 - A game showing that it is possible to beat the combination of Sableye + Talonflame with this team. By getting up a Tspike and poisoning Sableye, I'm able to set up on it with Espeon and pass into Venusaur, winning me the game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-429025027 - An HP Flying Thundy takes me by surprise but Espeon uses a burned CM Slowbro as setup fodder, putting me in a position to win the game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-433250383 - Venusaur has a very good matchup in this game and puts in tons of work. My opponent's only answer to it is Jirachi, which is completely shut down by Cofagrigus.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-429054834 - OUTL

Importable
Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Pain Split
- Toxic Spikes

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 27 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Reversal

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Morning Sun
- Baton Pass

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Thanks for stopping by and having a look at my RMT. I hope you liked it! As I said, this team does have some flaws, so if anyone has any feedback or suggestions please feel free to post them :]​

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
honestly the best non Sableye Duggy stall team I have seen so far. Good job!

Edit: Although I did notice that LO Tornadus-T with Heat Wave and Taunt is a bit of a nuisance to ur team. Cant think of any suggestions off the top of my head to fix this tho.

Funnily enough, I fought this team...and beat it. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-451485137. This team sucks. (Just kidding.)

In all seriousness, I'm surprised you weren't the least bit concerned with offensive Fire-types (namely the Zards, but also uncommon stuff like Volcanion), Manaphy, Crawdaunt, and Tornadus-T. The least you could do is patch up your weaknesses to the Zards.

Consider giving Mega Altaria a go. It can also handle Crawdaunt for ya, while checking stuff like Latis, wearing down stuff for your team to finish off, etc. It also assists with Keldeo just like Mr. Venusaur did.

Last note: Weavile Stall must be a nightmare for you. How do you handle it?

Googly

Arcadia
Thanks guys, appreciate it :D

Funnily enough, I fought this team...and beat it. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-451485137. This team sucks. (Just kidding.)

In all seriousness, I'm surprised you weren't the least bit concerned with offensive Fire-types (namely the Zards, but also uncommon stuff like Volcanion), Manaphy, Crawdaunt, and Tornadus-T. The least you could do is patch up your weaknesses to the Zards.

Consider giving Mega Altaria a go. It can also handle Crawdaunt for ya, while checking stuff like Latis, wearing down stuff for your team to finish off, etc. It also assists with Keldeo just like Mr. Venusaur did.

Welp, that's awkward haha! No offense to your opponent though but they could've played the team much better :x

On paper Fire types seem like a huge issue, since I lack a Fire resist. Then you realise that Dugtrio traps virtually every relevant Fire type aside from Charizard-Y and Talonflame, which are both on the threat list. Sometimes I might need to sack a mon to get Duggy in, but in no way does the team outright lose to Fire types. Venusaur beats Manaphy unless it's Psychic, and as for Crawdaunt, Banded variants are trapped by Dugtrio and SD variants are beaten by Venusaur. LO Torn is a bit of a threat, but Umbreon takes it on okay.

Altaria could be interesting, as it gives the team a proper Fire resist and would help against some other threats. A Cotton Guard set could be great come to think of it! But I think replacing Venusaur would open up too many weaknesses, especially to stuff like Azumarill and Nasty Plot Thundurus. The team already has both Umbreon and Skarmory, so I'm not desperate for more Lati checks. Appreciate the suggestion though. I hadn't considered using a Mega like Altaria. It sounds fun, I think I'll play around with it anyway haha.

Actually the only scary part about Weavile stall is the Weavile. Once that's removed, a boosted Venusaur easily wins, and Dugtrio is pretty good at removing Weavile.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion

Jokes aside, this is such a cool team. The creativity is unreal and somehow it works haha love your teams googly, keep it up :) It's cool to see non-Sab Stall teams that actually have good match-up agains Sableye squads

Last edited:
This team actually brings some heat to the table. I like it a lot, as mentioned before, it seems like hard-hitting fire users are the only things that give you REAL problems. I can't really think of anything to fix it, but the team looks nice anyways.

Maybe the team really doesn't need it, but wouldn't Eject Button on Skarmory make it much easier to send Dugtrio in? Aside from Heatran and Zard-X, it buys a easy way into the other victims.
Of course, Magnezone is trouble without a Shed Shell, but if the opponent goes for Thunderbolt instead of Volt Switch, it's dead.

P.S. By the way, what happens if a mon uses Knock Off on Eject Button. Does EB activate or not?

Googly

Arcadia
Maybe the team really doesn't need it, but wouldn't Eject Button on Skarmory make it much easier to send Dugtrio in? Aside from Heatran and Zard-X, it buys a easy way into the other victims.
Of course, Magnezone is trouble without a Shed Shell, but if the opponent goes for Thunderbolt instead of Volt Switch, it's dead.

P.S. By the way, what happens if a mon uses Knock Off on Eject Button. Does EB activate or not?
Oh that's cool! There was actually this team I built around Eject Button Klefki + Duggy and some other trappers, it was really fun! Eject Button is a great way to get Dugtrio in safely but I'm not sure it'd fit on this team. Espeon usually does a pretty good job at getting Duggy in via Baton Pass anyway, so it isn't hugely necessary. More importantly though, having an Eject Button on Skarmory wouldn't be ideal in some situations, mainly when I'm trying to Defog or Whirlwind something. I might also want to eat a hit from something and Roost off the damage, but can't because Skarm is forced out. Haha if only we could choose when Eject Button activates! I like the idea but I think in most cases Skarm would prefer Shed Shell or Leftovers.

And to answer your question, no, the Eject Button is removed before it can activate. Found that one out the hard way :x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)