Cutiefly, Ribombee Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Cutiefly
Bug/Fairy
Abilities: Honey Gather / Shield Dust / Sweet Veil
HP: 40
Atk: 45
Def: 40
SpAtk: 55
SpDef: 40
Spe: 84

Level Up

L1 - Absorb
L4 - Fairy Wind
L7 - Stun Spore
L10 - Struggle Bug
L13 - Silver Wind
L16 - Draining Kiss
L21 - Sweet Scent
L26 - Bug Buzz
L31 - Dazzling Gleam
L36 - Aromatherapy
L41 - Quiver Dance

TMs

TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM19 - Roost
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Leech Life
TM29 - Psychic
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Round
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM62 - Acrobatics
TM77 - Psych Up
TM83 - Infestation
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM89 - U-turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM99 - Dazzling Gleam
TM100 - Confide

Egg moves

Egg - Baton Pass
Egg - Skill Swap
Egg - Speed Swap
Egg - Bestow
Egg - Moonblast

Ribombee
Bug/Fairy
Abilities: Honey Gather / Shield Dust / Sweet Veil
HP: 60
Atk: 55
Def: 60
SpAtk: 95
SpDef: 70
Spe: 124

Level Up

L0 - Pollen Puff
L1 - Pollen Puff
L1 - Absorb
L1 - Fairy Wind
L1- Stun Spore
L1 - Struggle Bug
L4 - Fairy Wind
L7 - Stun Spore
L10 - Struggle Bug
L13 - Silver Wind
L16 - Draining Kiss
L21 - Sweet Scent
L28 - Bug Buzz
L35 - Dazzling Gleam
L42 - Aromatherapy
L49 - Quiver Dance

TMs

TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM19 - Roost
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Leech Life
TM29 - Psychic
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Round
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM62 - Acrobatics
TM77 - Psych Up
TM83 - Infestation
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM89 - U-turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM96 - Nature Power
TM99 - Dazzling Gleam
TM100 - Confide

Egg moves

Egg - Baton Pass
Egg - Skill Swap
Egg - Speed Swap
Egg - Bestow
Egg - Moonblast

New Move

Pollen Puff: The user attacks the enemy with a pollen puff that explodes. If the target is an ally, it gives the ally a pollen puff that restores its HP instead. 100% accuracy [Bug] 90 BP, Special.

Last edited:
So wait, not only does it get a potentially better Heal Pulse (how much healing does it do?) and Speed Swap (interestingly as an egg move) but Quiver Dance and Roost? This is actually kinda neat.

I remember when people were saying that this and Comfey were surely going to be shitmons. Who's laughing now? Quiver dance, roost, baton pass and a signature clone of bug buzz that can be used as a heal in doubles. Only big issue is coverage for fire types is lacking, HP water will have to be a staple for this thing.

Ribombee also gets energy ball too. Its speed tier is also great. Getting past base 120 mons and with QD and roost gives it quite the niche.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Ah... nice high speed stat and a Unique typing. Unique signature move and access to Uturn... My precious Ribbombee!

Sorry, that sounded creepy. Regardless, I MIGHT be onto a new favorite Pokemon!

Wait for a moment... you have 124 base Spe with access to Quiver Dance to rectify your special side?
Yes, please.
You have also many good options in the form of Quiver Dance, Roost for longevity and STAB Moonblast + Pollen Puff; Aromatheraphy is also a thing if you need it ===> really nice set-up attacker like Volcarona, but with more set-up opportunities thanks to a blazing Spe.
You are hopelessly walled by Steels and Fires, but Rocks are also a problem.

Your item should be Lum Berry to avoid paralysis or poison in order to prevent your opponent to ruind that Spe stat.

wow, much nicer stats than expected! Actually nearly double as fast as the usual Alola mon ;D
also gets moonblast via egg, which is much better than dazzling gleam. I also think Pollen Puff might give it a nivhe in doubles, since it basically combines two moves in one. And if you don't need the healing, it's still just as good as the other alternative, bug buzz!

Is it overhype to think this could turn out to be better than Volcarona?
Yeah. I misspoke on HP water though, idk what I was thinking. This thing needs to run HP Ground. Quiver Dance/Dazzling Gleam/Bug STAB or Roost/ HP Ground or Baton Pass will probably be the standard set, though of course in Smogon metas speed passing may end up getting the banhammer again. Will still be pretty decent in battlespot and speed swap might make it good in VGC given all of the new slow as hell pokemon.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Wait. Ribombee is FASTER then VIKAVOLT. I didn't expect that

Turns out the mon people cared less about is one of the most useful here

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would be way more excited to use this thing if it had a better design. But seriously, Bug coverage on it is about as relevant as Bug coverage is on Vivillon in NU (which is pointless.) Fairy coverage + Energy Ball for Rock-types + Tier-specific Hidden Power that lets it get past Fires/Steels (so, Water/Ground) or even Substitute are great options.

Oh and Shield Dust is a godsend for any Quiver Dancer. Setting up on Bulky Water-types with Scald is unique to the shittier Dustox. Bug-Fairy is just hot typing defensively, too.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The interesting thing here is Speed Swap. Only fast Pokemon have the move, and Ribombee is the fastest user. It seems completely useless to swap your speed with the opponent...but it's designed to swap speed of your partner. Pair this thing with....ANY of the slow pokemon of this gen, and you've got a sweeper on your hands. It also comes with a healing move that deals damage, so it can keep the partner healthy. This thing will be very cool moving forward in VGC

The interesting thing here is Speed Swap. Only fast Pokemon have the move, and Ribombee is the fastest user. It seems completely useless to swap your speed with the opponent...but it's designed to swap speed of your partner. Pair this thing with....ANY of the slow pokemon of this gen, and you've got a sweeper on your hands. It also comes with a healing move that deals damage, so it can keep the partner healthy. This thing will be very cool moving forward in VGC
Speed swap with a Wishiwashi... I wonder if it takes the speed into consideration that turn or next turn. Since if its that turn, Wishiwashi should immediately go after Ribombee, which can be devestating. Then the cute bug just heals up any damage Wishiwashi takes.

Uh, I'm skeptical. Quiver Dance sounds nice on paper but it doesn't really fix Ribombee's lack of bulk. Sure it increases its SpD, but it is still so frail that anything physical will take it out. And its Speed is already high enough as is so it doesn't ask for too many boosts anyways.

So: low bulk, decent SpA and blitzing speed. That's really all there is to it, nothing really hot about it imo. Key resistances to Bug, Dark and Fighting are nice and all, but they're offset by its low HP and Def and the fact that most of the aforementioned types are mostly physically orientated doesn't help it either. Speed Swap sounds like a gimmicky at best.

Not really feeling this little guy.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Uh, I'm skeptical. Quiver Dance sounds nice on paper but it doesn't really fix Ribombee's lack of bulk. Sure it increases its SpD, but it is still so frail that anything physical will take it out. And its Speed is already high enough as is so it doesn't ask for too many boosts anyways.

So: low bulk, decent SpA and blitzing speed. That's really all there is to it, nothing really hot about it imo. Key resistances to Bug, Dark and Fighting are nice and all, but they're offset by its low HP and Def and the fact that most of the aforementioned types are mostly physically orientated doesn't help it either. Speed Swap sounds like a gimmicky at best.

Not really feeling this little guy.
Uturn & Pollen Puff, enough said

though of course in Smogon metas speed passing may end up getting the banhammer again.
is there any reason not to, at minimum, put the clause in starting off if not toss it outright? there seems to be a lot of new toys for baton pass teams to use, and no new counters against it

An unexpected surprise!
It was the last pokemon I expected to have a good stat distribution/move pool this generation...oh how wrong I was about everything.

At least I found my new favourite Fairy type.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You'd think based on appearance alone it would be your standard mediocre early game bug, but it's stat spread is actually kinda good .

It's another Quiver Dance special attacker, but that high speed an Fairy STAB gives it infinitely more flexibility, and shield dust is pretty handy (setting up on Scald without fearing a burn is pretty legit). No real way of getting past Fire and Steel-types though, so support is needed.

Gen VII is weird, lol

Unfortunately any poison, steel or fire type is going to completely wall this thing, so it has to depend on HP Ground for hitting them. Definitely has potential though due to its great speed.

On the other hand, I think it's adorable and I'm in love with its design.

A lot better than I expected. I was expecting it to have stats similar to Ledian's, but instead it gets a semi-decent Special Attack stat and an excellent Speed stat. I don't see this thing making a splash in OU, but I expect it to be a nice choice in whatever tier it's placed in. As for its signature move, I don't see it as a worthwhile choice over Bug Buzz in singles because there's more Substitute users than Soundproof users, but if this thing is any good in doubles, then Pollen Puff will most likely be a decent choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)