ORAS PU Curse Muk Stall

Scarf Raichu?

• Total voters

Introduction
I'm back with another stall squad, this time built around Curse Muk. I've been working on this team for a while now, starting some time during the tail end of the Machoke meta. Initially this team leaned more towards balance, but went through a series of changes and ended up really defensively oriented. I was really hungry writing this up, so I named all the pokemon after relevant foods. This team has been fun to play (especially in a more offensively inclined meta) and I hope you all can help me improve it.

Teambuilding Process

The team started off with Coil Arbok, whose best counters are ground and rock-types. Tangela was added to take on those pokemon, as well as bait in Grass and Poison-types like opposing Tangela and Roselia that Arbok can set up on. Audino was then added for a specially defensive presence. Floatzel was added as a wallbreaker/revenge killer, and Swanna was added for hazard control. Golem was the final addition, for a normal-check and also stealth rocks.

(
)(
)(
)
Floatzel was replaced by scarfed Rotom-F, as volt switch is particularly useful and its (in general) a better revenge killer than Floatzel. Prinplup came on to compress both Swanna and Golem's roles. Misdreavus was added because I noticed a glaring weakness to opposing Bouffalants once they got behind a substitute, but was mostly filler.

(
)(
)(
)

The next big set of changes came along with the tier shift. Pelipper replaced Prinplup as a better Monferno counter and also a defogger. I then went with Specially Defensive Monferno to act as a Cacturne counter as well as my new rocks setter. The final change was Scarfed Rotom-F becoming Raichu, mostly because of the rocks weakness limiting my ability to revenge kill things (but getting an electric immunity wasn't too bad).

(
)
(
)
Muk came on to replace Arbok as the opportunities for Arbok to set up were kind of rare due to its lackluster bulk (kept on dying to offensive Roselias). Misdreavus was also rather underwhelming, and noticing a general weakness to strong Psychic-types I added Metang to Pursuit trap them.

(
)(
)
Pelipper was kind of underwhelming, and I found myself using it as a sort of lite Vullaby. So I replaced it with Vullaby. What to put in the 6th slot (to not be as weak to Monferno and Psychic-types) has been a long process of swapping things around, Solrock occupied that slot for a while but at the time of writing this Slowpoke occupies that slot, as it provides me with a solid regenerator core.

In-Depth Analysis

Marinara Sauce (Muk) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
Poison Jab / Curse / Rest / Sleep Talk

The bane of my existence in-game with its minimize shenanigans, Muk. I opted for Sticky Hold over Poison Touch because I'm reliant on Muk to pressure stuff like Roselia, Tangela, and non-encore Audino, all of whom can wear Muk down relatively easily by just switching around. The EVs maximize special defense as Muk will be able to boost its physical defenses with Curse. Poison Jab is the best STAB for a set like this, and RestTalk provides recovery. Muk provides me with a reliable win-con as well as a special wall, both of which Arbok was not.

Spaghet (Tangela) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / Toxic / Synthesis

What has quickly turned into one of my favorite pokemon to use right now, defensive Tangela. The EVs maximize Tangela's giant defense stat, and compliments Muk almost perfectly. Giga Drain is STAB, with Sludge Bomb here to hit grass-types like Cacturne and Leafeon. Toxic lets me get stuff like Monferno and Bouffalant who aren't as threatened by Tangela's other moves, and Synthesis is here for reliable recovery. Honestly, Tangela is probably one of the most important things on this team because it just takes so many hits, and between it and Slowpoke its generally pretty hard for physical attackers to overwhelm the team.

Banana (Monferno) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Jolly Nature
Low Sweep or Fire Punch / Will-O-Wisp / Slack Off / Stealth Rock

Behold my Cacturne counter, Specially Defensive Monferno. EVs look kind of wonky, but they let me outspeed Pawniard while maximizing special defense (I think this beats 172+ SpD/ 88 Spe by 1 SpD point, but I don't know if it matters with Eviolite). Low Sweep allows me to break SubNP Ninetales's substitutes, which can otherwise do a number against this team. It is also helpful against offensive Monferno checks as it allows Monferno to outspeed them. Alternatively, Fire Punch+Iron Fist gives a more powerful and consistent STAB move, at the cost of being switch-in bait to most Floatzel and Ninetales. Will-O-Wisp lets me get things like Politoed and Stunfisk on the switch, reducing their longevity, and Slack Off lets Monferno stay healthy to handle the aforementioned Cacturne. Stealth Rock does what it does best, stopping Articuno and Regice from rising to higher tiers.

Cheese Cube (Raichu) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Volt Switch / Thunderbolt / Focus Blast / Hidden Power Ice

Scarf Raichu is mostly here to revenge kill fast offensive threats like Floatzel and boosted Gorrebyss (who I lack a reliable switch-in to), while simultaneously providing half of a Volt-Turn core with Vulllaby. Lightningrod gives me a pseudo electric immunity, which is useful in deterring Volt-Turn teams from spamming Volt Switch. Volt Switch and Thunderbolt are STABs, and Focus Blast is here to hit Steel and Rock-types hard. HP Ice rounds off the set, letting me hit ground and grass-types like Stunfisk and Jumpluff. The response I've gotten from going against people with this set generally ranges from "why are you using scarf raichu?" to "lol that set is trash," but it does what I need it to do so that's why its here.

Devilled Egg (Vullaby) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
Foul Play / U-Turn / Roost / Defog

The bird returns, and comes with a vengeance. I opted for a specially defensive spread because I needed something to handle Psychic-types, and they often carry coverage that physical vullaby just dies to (like Kadabra and Dazzling Gleam). Foul Play is STAB and prevents physical attackers from taking advantage of the lack of defense investment, with U-Turn allowing me to get momentum. Roost keeps Vullaby alive and Defog allows me to clear hazards. I don't have much to say for this one other than if you look at the teams I've posted from the start of ORAS there's always a bird (going into late XY if you count Latias as a bird).

SlowpokeTail? (Slowpoke) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
Scald / Toxic / Slack Off / Thunder Wave
New addition and one that is actually really solid, Slowpoke. EVs allow me to avoid the 2HKO from Scarfed Mr. Mime's Dazzling Gleam after rocks damage (which is otherwise difficult to switch into), while still countering Monferno (Thunder Punch does ~30% max). Scald is weak but has a chance to burn, and gives Slowpoke some semblance of a threatening presence. Toxic and Thunder Wave round out the status, allowing me to cripple both bulky and fast switch-ins respectively. Slack Off keeps Slowpoke healthy throughout the match, when it isn't really opportune to switch out.

Some Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-415024125
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-415499213

Threatlist
(Band) - Very difficult to switch into, knocks eviolites off then can go to town. Usually kills itself from recoil before it can do too much damage though, but can definitely be troublesome while its still alive.
(LO/Specs) -My psychic switch-in is weak to fairy, and my fairy switch-in is weak to psychic. Slowpoke and Tangela can be used to pivot around until its weak enough to get taken out with Raichu, but dealing with it is really reliant on guessing right.
(Defensive) - Ones with with toxic and BP are especially annoying, considering quite a bit of the team is a free switch-in. Double switch a bunch with Muk and just keep attacking it, thats how I've dealt with it.

Conclusion
I've been thinking about making this RMT for a while now, but every time I came close to doing it I made a change and had to put this off for testing. Its been a lot of fun to play with on the ladder, though that may just be me because people tend not to enjoy playing against stall. It was fun getting to try out some new sets along the way, some of which I absolutely hated before (I firmly believed that SpDef Monferno was trash until Cacturne dropped), and Slowpoke was a pleasant surprise. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this RMT and please leave any suggestions/feedback you may have. Here is the link to the importable.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Last edited:

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey, neat team. I'm glad to see Muk is getting so much positive attention thanks to it's recent drop.

In my opinion, Monferno is not entirely necessary as Vullaby does a fine job of checking Cacturne already. Instead, you could use an offensive trapping Probopass set. Probopass, much like Monferno provides rocks and is able to trap and kill Steel-types that give monoattacking Muk trouble for obvious reasons.

Secondly I suggest a different Tangela set since the one you've chosen is objectively inferior, Sleep Powder is arguably more valuable than Toxic and HP fire still hits Grass-types with the added bonus of tagging steels as well.

Lastly I would consider using Ditto over Raichu. While this is not entirely necessary I think that it would be more effective against a lot of setup sweepers who threaten stall.

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Transform
(IVs are customizable based on which Hidden Power you want)

Stay sharp.

I personally really like this team and I enjoyed using it, but it has some flaws. First of all you should switch, as Pilobacon already mentioned, Monferno to an offensive Probopass to trap things like Metang, other Probos or offensive Mawiles, which are all walling Muk. A HUGE drawback is also that you have no way of beating Duosion, because the only thing stopping it is Vullaby, which loses the PP stall. I faced it three times and I immediatley clicked "X". I'm not too familiar with this tier so I can't help you with this problem. I suggest you should ask an established player one this matter.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pls call it RestTalk Muk and not CroMuk. RestTalk actually describes what it does whereas "Cro" comes from Crocune which is a RestTalk/Surf/Calm Mind Suicune set that was popularized by user Cromat. It should've never been called Crocune but it was anyway and that's the only time where "Cro"anything should be used.

Thank you guys for the comments/suggestions (also made note of the name, thats just what everyone called it in the PU room so I went with that), I've been moving so I haven't had a chance to try the changes out, but once I settle in I'll give them a go.

I haven't had too much trouble with steel types, but I'll give the probopass set a go. My only reservation with it is that suddenly stuff like LO Regice and Cacturne (because Vullaby needs like 10% damage for Focus Blast to be a 2hko) become much scarier, but a healthy Muk can handle both of them so I guess that'll be something to look out for.

As for handling Duosion, it depends on the set. Psyshock ones can be played around between Slowpoke and Vullaby, as a +6 Psyshock does max of 40% so if you paralyze it you should be fine (the logic is if they can't kill you PP Stall them). Psychic makes it a bit messier, if Vullaby dies you might as well click X because that thing is going to go off.

Hey there!

I love to rate so i'll do so *u*! First of all:

I think this pokemon just doesn't fit. It's a fast mon that can revenge Gorebyss but it has like no other perks; not to mention your team doesn't help it a lot. Instead,
seems like a better fit. It gives you a better answer to Dodrio, another Monferno check (as your only Monferno check is ridiculously weak to Pursuit, and this move is very common with the Monkey and a check to some key threats your team is weak to. For example, Electric-types that can Volt Switch on whatever that comes in, Pawniard, which freely switches in on Muk, Tangela, Raichu locked in HP Ice and Vullaby pretty confortably and heavily cripples Monf by knocking it.

This guy is solid but I feel it could be changed. The main problem with it imo is its passive nature and inability to harm bulky-ish attackers. The main perks it'd have are Sleep Powder and Knock Off and you're using neither. Your team also does horrible against Knock Off users due your only Knock Off sponge being physically frail and always taking full damage (97.5 instead 65) from the move (yes, I don't know if you knew it but Sticky Hold doesn't ignore the Knock Off boost, as you're still holding the item). Instead,
looks like a better fit. It still checks strong physical attackers as good as Tangela, but its ability to act as a Knock Off sponge and check some threats to your team that Tangela can't is the main reason I suggest it. Bouffalant is ridiculously disguting to face, and your only way to avoid its set up is predicting a switch in and Toxic it, and regardless you lose 1v1 unless you spam Synthesis, and then you're unable to check most things. Leafeon is also super threatening as Aerial Ace/Double-Edge variants have become common in order to lure Tangela and Monferno (Gourgeist kinda if AA), and neither Muk is capable of tanking a +2 Double-Edge. Gourgeist also cripples and punishes switch ins with Leech Seed and Will-o-Wisp as chip damage is never appreciated. Foul Play also gives it decent offensive presence, and it almost guarantees Gourg won't be set up fodder.

I must admit I love SpDef Monf in bulkier builds but I feel an old team mate could return. You don't absolutely need it when what it checks can be checked by other teammates to, for example: Between Muk, Gourg-XL and Vullaby, your team has plenty of ways to check grass types. With Muk, you have a solid Ice and Cacturne check already and the list goes on. Instead, I feel
could take the Monkey's spot. You have SpDef Vullaby and Muk so you have two solid Cacturne checks; Metang would accomplish Gourg's job in checking Normal-types while giving you a much better Psychic check due ability to switch in on every of them. Pursuit is also a blessing, so that means it doesn't just scare things out, but it actually damages them. Bullet Punch also means you can revenge non-Filter Mr. Mime regardless of your health, fixing another of your problems. The speed EVs I've put let it outspeed Probopass that creep for Probopass that creep Defensive Relicanth, so you can Earthquake it before it Earth Powers you (or before it Earth Powers you for the second time if Balloon, as you'd have to Bullet Punch to pop it. However, I honestly feel
could put in work too. It gives you a shaky Monferno check and checks Psychic types very well too, while spreading paralyzis around. The main perk this thing would have over Metang is its ability to WishPass, which means Stunfisk can stay healthy through the match and switch in Monferno a lot more confortably.

Calm down! I won't say change this thing because Vullaby is just one of the best defensive mons in the tier right now. Typing and bulk helps it check so much it makes you laugh. What I'd recommend is changing U-turn to Taunt or Whirlwind so you have a better matchup versus Calm Mind Psychic types (mainly Duosion and Beheeyem, as you do fine vs. Grumpig) and bulky boosters in general.

Neither this guy is going to be changed but I feel its spread could get better. Investing max Special Defense (with 8+ def still) let Slowpoke act as a better pivot for water types, being able to completely shut down every Floatzel variant (both HP Grass from Specs AND CB Frustration fail to 2HKO) and avoid the OHKO from even Modest LO Gorebyss' HP Grass at +2.

The rest of your team is pretty fine in my opinion, so good lucky!

Vullaby
U-turn --> Taunt or Whirlwind

Slowpoke
248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD --> 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
(both Bold)

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit

OR

Hypno @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)