Creative Sets In Doubles OU

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Art by Pastelle :)

The old thread was getting messy so I'm starting a new one of these too. This thread is for posting creative sets you've found in the Doubles metagame that actually work. Do not post gimmicks. Sets that are good in the present meta and generally well recieved in the thread will be put the hall of fame.

What is a good creative moveset?
  • It fulfils a role that sets it apart from others
  • It is not incredibly common (i.e. don't post things like Substitute Heatran, Scarf Lando-T , etc)
  • It has had some success. It is recommended that you post replays or logs to strengthen your case in a given set's viability.
Remember, this is a thread for both posting and reviewing.

What are some things that constitute a bad gimmick?

• Movesets that are not practical or are extremely outclassed by another Pokemon.
  • Movesets that have a lack of consistency, e.g. Prankster Swagger spam, excessive use of set-up moves (Acid Armor + Calm Mind for instance), etc
  • Tactics/Combos that revolve completely around one partner assisting another and are hence too difficult to pull off in most matches (Skill Swap + Slaking, Beat Up + Justified, etc)
  • Usually sets involving stalling will be considered gimmicks, since there isn't enough time to pull stalling off in Doubles matches due to the fast-paced nature of the metagame
  • No banned Pokemon, moves, or items should be posted in a set.
  • As a last note, a good way to check whether a set is gimmicky if you aren't sure is to consider A) whether Taunt would shut your strategy down, and B) will this strategy take more than one turn to put into effect? If either of these are true it is likely (there are some exceptions to this) your set is in fact a gimmick

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor

Victini @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- Protect

Trick room Victini, I really like it. First of all, it's unexpected. Secondly, it's bulky while still dishing out major damage. And your speed drop from v-create doesn't really matter to you. You can run wp/charcoal/life orb, (lo gives probable ko on mega kang) but weakness policy is nice because victini has a load of weaknesses to common secondary non-stab moves, such as rock slide or sucker punch. In addition, 252 hp with 100/100/100 is pretty bulky so you can live most super effective hits and hit really hard back, unless you already have lots of drops. Bolt strike gives nice coverage on water types and gyarados, a taunter that trick room teams often have trouble with.

Some calcs because calcs mean everything (looking at all your mence banners)

252+ Atk Life Orb Victini V-create vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 351-413 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Victini V-create vs. 212 HP / 128 Def Thundurus: 398-468 (113 - 132.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Charizard: 382-452 (106.1 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Things this set has to watch out for: heatran switchins, rhydon/rhyperior, switching out after getting too many defense drops.

Anyways, Victini is great because it looks at taunters and says "I can instagib you gtfo"

And because it's unexpected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Creative... does that mean not bad?
Italiano (Conkeldurr) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 240 HP / 120 Atk / 16 Def / 132 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Protect

The idea of this set is to NOT set up against strong Special Attackers and NOT against Mega Metagross (you can actually still set up against Cress though :^)) but you can honestly gain a great late game wincon by setting up a few Bulk Ups behind a Substitute. After two Bulk Ups Conkeldurr can take two Metagross Zen Headbutts, which is really cool especially since it's STAB base 145 Atk Tough Claws. It also has cool resistances to both Rock Slide and Bisharp Knock Off. It can still function early game but it needs heavy support to get off, you need to do this late game for it to be effective. It hates Rain Sun and a few mono Special teams though :B so use it very very wisely.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

I originally started using this when Calm Mind Cresselia gained popularity because it was annoying me. I use this on my TailRoom team which is one of my favourite teams to use. Able to give slower Pokemon a Choice Scarf while a partner Trick Rooms, while still being fast enough to take advantage of a Tailwind late game. Volt Switch makes it a great lead, as it can Trick a support threat or just switch out to get a partner in for the extra turn of Tailwind / Trick Room. Scarfing support Pokemon in general is great as it cuts them off and buys huge windows in games, however an offensive threat can be locked into one move to prevent it threatening team mates. The speed allows it to beat max base 110s, burning Mega Metagross with Will-O-Wisp and OHKOing Mega Diancie with Hydro Pump. You lose the usual bulk of Rotom here but this set definitely fits well on some teams and I've used it to great success.

I'll look for some replays when I have time to check them.

Last edited:

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor

AH-64 Apache (Ampharos-Mega) (M) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Electric Terrain
- Focus Blast

Ofc we all know my signature pokemon of choice mega ampharos by now. I wanted to post it here because of how niche and creative I think it is.
Ampharos uses Electric Terrain primarily as an Amoongus check for Trick room. It's an unpredictable move and it can easily catch opponents off guard when used at the right time. The move is basically a Safeguard for grounded pokemon but it also gives ampharos a 50% boost in Electric attacks making it very power as well.

Focus Blast is for Threats like Heatran and Kangaskhan that can really mess up TR. If it hits most of the time it's a OHKO

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan:
344-406 (97.7 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 328-386 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

clicked tab so I posted this early sry but here's a cool replay with it: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-242145203

Here are a few non-standard Kangaskhan sets that I like to use. Includes set details, team mates, relevant calcs, and of course importables :] If I've forgotten a calc or a set let me know!

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out

Set Details
Because Ice Punch is mainly for use on Landorus-T (though it also guarantees the OHKO on Skymin) this Kangaskhan is guaranteed to survive a Superpower from Adamant Landorus-T, with more than enough Atk investment to KO with Ice Punch after being Intimidated using an Adamant or Jolly nature. I went with max speed to get the jump on other base 100s, most aren't running a +speed nature these days so I can get away with Adamant, but if you want to run Jolly go for it.
Teammates
I find that Ice Punch Kangaskhan works best on HO teams which are naturally weak to Landorus-T, so team members like Shaymin Sky and Talonflame that appreciate Landorus-T being gone work great. With Earth Power and Flare Blitz, these 2 also beat the steel types that Kangaskhan struggles against without Power Up Punch. Keldeo seals up this team by providing a counter to Bisharp, Heatran, and a check to opposing Kangaskhan.
Calcs
-1 184 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Ice Punch vs. 44 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 336-396 (101.8 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 312-368 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kangaskhan-Mega (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: 200 HP / 200 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Frustration
- Sucker Punch

Set Details
Most opponents come well prepared for the most popular Mega Evolution, which severly limits Kangaskhan's ability to sweep through entire teams with Power-Up Punch. With Low Kick Kangaskhan gets much better at punching quick holes through opponents teams OHKOing Pokemon like Heatran, Terrakion, Hydreigon and (usually)other Mega Kangaskhan. The bulk investment survives a -1 LO CC from Terrakion and outspeeds Jolly Breloom and the like, but I recommend taking out some Atk EVs and moving them into Speed for a better creep game. You can go as low as 136 Atk before you start missing out on the 100% OHKO against 180 HP Heatran so you have tons of space to invest more speed. That being said, going too low takes you farther from getting a KO on other Kangaskhan, which cannot be 100% even with max investment. 136 as the minimum investment makes KOing other Kang a 50/50.
Teammates
Having an Intimidate partner that can switch into Terrakion is a requirement for using this set, so Landorus-T is a natural choice. Heatran can switch into burns and really appreciates the removal of opposing Tran, Terrak, Earth Power Hydreigon, and opposing Kangaskhan so it makes for a great partner as well. This Kangaskhan works best on Balanced/Bulky Offensive teams.
Calcs
136+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 369-435 (100.2 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
200+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 369-435 (103 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
200+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 339-399 (96.3 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 351-414 (99.7 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
136+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 321-381 (91.1 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
200+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 441-522 (136.1 - 161.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 338-400 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
EVs: 128 HP / 164 Atk / 108 Def / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Frustration
- Crunch

Set Details
Using Crunch doesn't really require Kangaskhan to use a specific amount of attack investment, so I've EVd this Kangaskhan to play best in or out Trick Room for reasons that I'll explain in the next section. The EV spread survives a Secret Sword from Life Orb Keldeo, and while Frustration doesn't OHKO this does give you a positive match up in Trick Room. You can also KO non Quick Guard Keldeo with Fake Out + Frustration. Like the previous set, this set outspeeds Breloom however I would hesitate to change the speed too much. Lowering the speed below 260 (96 EVs) will mean that Kangaskhan is slower than Bisharp the turn it Evolves, meaning you can't go for the quick PuP OHKO. Also if you under speed Breloom it can just Spore you outside of TR. If you run MORE speed you make it harder to play in Trick Room given how many Pokemon are EVd for the same benchmark. The rest is just dumped into attack.
Teammates
+2 Crunch doesn't KO opposing cress so that's pretty disappointing, it DOES let Kangaskhan beat Aegislash and (Mega) Gengar though. The big problem here is that Aegislash is already playing 50/50 mind games expecting Sucker Punch, and Gengar usually carries Will-O-Wisp and will always carry it if it isn't Mega. That all being said, Crunch Kangaskhan should be used on teams that especially fear Aegislash and Gengars so Semi-Trick room is probably the best fit. Cresselia is the best TR setter to use and (like all TR setters) appreciates you beating Aegislash and Gengar. Cresselia also has a good matchup against most fighting type Pokemon and Amoonguss (if you're using Safety Goggles).
Calcs
164+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 186-219 (57.4 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 164+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 333-393 (75 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
164+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar: 393-465 (150.5 - 178.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 128 HP / 108 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 322-382 (84 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Protect / Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Set Details
The EV spread and move slots (beside Facade of course) are all Standard. EVing Kangaskhan for KOs while burned or paralyzed is a pretty bad idea, the idea of this set is to commit to the role of Set-Up Sweeper which is why I have Protect > Fake Out. Fake Out is never bad, but on this set Protect is probably better. At +2 or +4, Facade is super powerful and you won't be missing many KOs that you would have with Frustration. The coverage from PuP and Sucker Punch help too, but keep in mind these attacks will be weakened when you're burned. Burn is probably the Status you should be keeping this set in on. It's not worth taking a paralysis for the Facade boost.
Teammates
Redirection/Ally Switch and other Fake Out Pokemon work best with this set. Mew, Jirachi, Amoonguss, Togekiss, and Scrafty are all examples of fine partners here, but there are more.
Calcs
Keep in mind that +2 Facade is the same strength as using Facade when burned. These calcs show that in many cases having Facade over Frustration makes no difference in terms of attack boosts needed to KO a threat.

+2 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Facade vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Mega Charizard Y: 415-490 (115.2 - 136.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Facade vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 366-432 (103.9 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Facade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 346-409 (113.8 - 134.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Facade vs. 212 HP / 128 Def Thundurus: 415-490 (117.8 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

EDIT: just gonna add more to the same post! I heard posting standard mons with non-standard movesets was not a crowd favourite, so here's a few decent Lando-t sets that aren't scarfed.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Atk / 80 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Hammer Arm / Superpower / Knock Off

Set Details
With CB Landorus-T becomes even more powerful, and with base 145 Atk you can afford to invest in Defenses. This particular spread survives a Draco Meteor from Life Orb Hydreigon and the rest put into attack. This set doesn't have any speed investment because you're best off relying on teammates supporting Landorus with speed control, but for reference 92 Spd EVs hits 241 to outspeed fast Heatran. The decision between Hammer Arm and Superpower is mostly dependent on the type of speed control you use to support the set; Hammer Arm on Trick Room, Superpower on Tailwind. Knock Off should be used only if you have enough fighting coverage.
Teammates
Band Landorus-T plays slightly better than a Scarf set in Tailwind and much better in Trick Room, so packing a team mate with either of those moves is a must. Landorus also needs a teammate to switch into Water & Ice attacks so Suicune, Cresselia, and Jellicent all make for decent partners. These partners also beat opposing Landorus-T, which will switch-in pretty well to this set (although CB does help that matchup).
Calcs
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 80 SpD Landorus-T: 321-380 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 80 SpD Landorus-T: 321-380 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
180+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 166-196 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
180+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 230-272 (51.8 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO but not really

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Protect

Set Details
Substitute Landorus-T takes advantage of the many switches & Protects that the standard Choice Scarf set forces. Substitute protects Lando-T from Intimidate & Will-O wisp, two very common ways to deal with it. I use Stone Edge on this set because it is unlikely that I will be able to spam Rock Slide for flinches with less speed, Stone Edge also hits Pokemon like Charizard Y which are usually protected by Wide Guard. This EV spread uses max attack and a Leftovers HP number to maximize recovery, with the remaining invested into speed to hit 265.
Team mates
This set is less dependent on speed control than the first set, but using a non Scarfed Lando-T does mean that you should look for a faster Pokemon elsewhere. Talonflame, Scarf Genesect, and Mega Gengar all make for fast partners that work really well with this set. Remember that this set actually switches in and sets up on opposing Landorus-T, so your fast Pokemon doesn't necessarily need to be a lure/counter.
Calcs
landothp.PNG

336/16=21 therefore a Leftovers number!

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Imprison
- Protect

Set Details
Imprison Landorus-T acts like a surprise + ongoing Wide Guard, so no surprise that this set has Rock Slide and Earthquake. Imprisoning opponents Protect is nice too. I gave this Landorus a sash to best preserve Imprison while being able to max speed and attack. I avoided hitting a speed benchmark because Sash + bulk investment would be wasted EVs (yes, some TR setters are an exception to this).
Teammates
Anything that appreciates Wide Guard support works great here. Charizard Y/X, Heatran, Kyurem-B, Amoonguss, and more. If it's weak to Heat Wave, EQ, or Rock slide, this set can work. Just like the last set, make sure you have fast teammates to make up for the lack of scarf.

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 168 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect
Set Details
Hidden Power Ice gives Landorus-T a way to beat its #1 most popular switchin: opposing Landorus-T. The EV spread has enough special attack to always OHKO 44 HP Landorus-T with Hidden Power Ice thanks to the Life Orb, with max physical attack to boost earthquake and spread fake out rock slide. The 80 HP gives Landorus-T a Life Orb HP number with 4 Def & SDef to even the defenses after that. I went with a speed hindering nature to keep my offenses and defenses high. It's also worth mentioning that this set OHKOs Heatran through Shuca Berry.
Teammates
Because this set uses a Brave nature, a Trick Room setter like Cresselia, Gourgeist, or Chandelure is really important for making sure this Landorus is moving first. You also need a Pokemon to switchin to Water and Ice attacks that threaten Landorus-T like Rotom-Wash or Azumarill, these Pokemon can also play well in Trick Room.
Calcs
168 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 333-395 (100.9 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Heatran: 359-424 (106.5 - 125.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Heatran @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
or
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Overheat
- Protect

Set Details
Using Overheat AND Heat Wave on Heatran is similar to using the same two moves on Mega Charizard Y, generally you use Heat Wave but some Pokemon require an Overheat to OHKO. Overheat OHKOs Amoonguss, Shield form Aegislash, Landorus-T, and others. Life Orb is required to OHKO Landorus-T with Overheat and Mega Metagross with Heat Wave 100% of the time. Even with the special attack drop, 2 Overheats in a row is stronger than 2 Heatwaves. The first EV spread I have has max SAtk with Min speed for TR with a Life Orb HP number, the second EV spread has a Life Orb Hp number and Maximum special attack but the remaining EVs are put into speed for a faster Tran.
Team mates
This Heatran needs either Trick Room or Tailwind to ensure that Overheat KOs Landorus-T before it can Earthquake. Zapdos + Charizard Y or Sunny Day Cresselia make for great partners to power up Heatran further, and provide the needed speed control. Gourgeist with Trick Room, Sunny Day, and Will O Wisp can be used to boost Heatran even MORE by activating your flash fire with WoW, and including all of this set up on one moveset doesn't burden Gourgeist given how useful WoW can be whether or not Heatran is on the field.
Calcs
252+ SpA Life Orb Heatran Overheat vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 364-430 (110.3 - 130.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Heatran Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 424-502 (130.8 - 154.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Heatran Overheat vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Amoonguss: 541-640 (125.2 - 148.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Heatran Heat Wave vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 307-361 (100.6 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Heatran @ Power Herb
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Set Details
If you've never used Power Herb, it lets you use a move with charge time (like Solarbeam or Sky Attack) and skip the charge turn once. Solarbeam expands the coverage Heatran has to hitting Pokemon like Keldeo, Rotom Wash, and Gastrodon (lol) while not forcing you to run Flash Cannon to OHKO Mega Diancie. The EV spread outspeeds Rotom forms with the remaining investment in HP after maximum special attack.
Team mates
Even with Power Herb giving you a free Solarbeam, Charizard Y makes a good partner for this set allowing you to use Solar Beam after burning your Power Herb. TR Cresselia and TW Zapdos make good partners as well, giving Heatran the speed control it needs to beat Keldeo.
Calcs
252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Diancie: 266-314 (110.3 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 314-370 (97.2 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Rotom-W: 260-308 (85.5 - 101.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 693-816 (159.6 - 188%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Heatran Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 480-568 (136.7 - 161.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower / Earth Power
- Flash Cannon / Hidden Power [Ice]

Set Details
With a Choice Scarf, Hydreigon can use its extensive coverage to not only smack opponents with Draco Meteor, but also to trick Pokemon that would normally threaten Hydreigon into coming in or staying in on it only to be OHKOd. The first 3 attacks are standard on Hydreigon: Dual STAB + a coverage option to hit steels. The 4th move can either be Flash Cannon to OHKO Mega Diancie or Hidden Power Ice to OHKO Scarf Landorus-T. The speed investment outspeeds Choice Scarf Kyurem-B that aren't using a speed boosting nature.
Teammates
Aegislash and Mega Metagross are great partners for this set. When you reveal that Hydreigon is holding a Choice Scarf and locked into an attack, it can be easy for your opponent to quickly regain momentum. Aegislash and Mega Metagross switch easily into many of the Pokemon that threaten Hydreigon and can help you keep up the offensive pressure.
Calcs
48 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 696-820 (214.1 - 252.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Hydreigon Hidden Power Ice vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 340-400 (103 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So this is about what you would expect from a Clefable set, but since there is no Doubles entry in the smogdex for Clefable, I thought I would share my set anyways.

Clefable (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 220 HP / 232 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Thunder Wave / Icy Wind
- Moonblast
- Follow Me

Set Details
With unaware Clef can redirect +6 aqua jets/Play Roughs and other attacks from enemy set-up mons to itself and take next to no damage, giving its team the edge in an offense vs offense matchup. The EV spread survives an Iron Head from LO Bisharp while a Flash Cannon from Aegislash only has a 6.3% chance to OHKO. The moveset is what you'd expect, Moonblast for STAB with FM and Protect and a speed control option that varies depending on what works best for your team!
Teammates
Clefable plays well on almost any team as a support mon. Set up attackers like Mega Kangaskhan and Volcarona make for solid partners but really any Pokemon appreciates redirection so you've got loads of options.
Calcs
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 220 HP / 232+ Def Clefable: 328-385 (84.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 220 HP / 56 SpD Clefable: 326-386 (84.4 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 220 HP / 232+ Def Unaware Clefable: 160-189 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 220 HP / 232+ Def Unaware Clefable: 72-85 (18.6 - 22%) -- possible 5HKO

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Terrakion @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Double Kick
- Protect

If your team doesn't badly need Taunt or Quick Guard, Double Kick is an excellent way to take out Sash Bisharp in one go.

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 84 Def / 112 SpA / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Tailwind
- Ice Beam
- Mirror Coat

Don't focus on the EVs or set in general as Suicune is very flexible (this is the "defensive speed control" set), but Mirror Coat is a way to nail things like Char-Y and Rotom-W you normally otherwise would just lose to.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 76 SpD / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Foul Play
- Snarl
- Roost

Again, EVs can probably be optimized in some way, but this is a nifty blanket check to a lot of mons, ranging from Kangaskhan and Aegislash to CM Cresselia and Venusaur.

god damn you already have ladybug, how bad do you want CC

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Sunny Day
- Moonlight

just a fun little addition to the standard CM cresselia that worked quite well on one of my teams. i liked the build and realized how disgustingly rain weak it was, so I added sunny day on Cresselia. The move had 3 main benefits for me: fuckin w/ rain teams, powering up my Heatran's Heat Waves to respectable amounts, and increasing Cresselia's Moonlight recovery. 2/3 recovery is pretty nice when the other mons start double targetting Cress. rest is standard b/c that's what works the best!

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
here's one good set and one (only) ok set

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Here's a good set that's been gaining traction lately. Safety Goggles Heatran is great in cases when the Substitute set doesn't fit or you want a counter to VenuZard (lol Focus Blas). The two attacks are standard on any Heatran. Stealth Rock is what replaces Substitute on the more common set, which lets it make a difference even while out of the field by weakening other mons, especially Mega Charizard Y; SR also lets Heatran not be total balls against Rain. Contrary to somewhat popular belief, Stealth Rock can be a good move to use in when you can. Aside from being a VenuZard counter, Heatran is also a great Amoonguss counter and can do most of SubTran does, minus the longevity because no Leftovers.

bird up (Electabuzz) @ Eviolite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 88 SpD / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Thunderbolt
- Protect / Thunder Wave

BIRD UP. Follow Me Electabuzz can be at times be a pretty dank redirector lol. It can resist Flying-type hits, which can be pretty great if you want to use a QD Volcarona or something lol. It can be pretty bulky at times, which is p nice. It does everything what any redirector would do, which is to redirect hits. The choice between Protect or Thunder Wave is whether or not you'd like the Speed control. The spread lives Zard Y Overheat, outspeeds Jolly Breloom, and the rest is dumped in Defense. kacaw. It's not as great as other redirectors though so use it if you really need the synergy.

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Eviolite Electabuzz in Sun: 282-333 (84.4 - 99.7%) --guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

bird up (Electabuzz) @ Eviolite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 88 SpD / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Thunderbolt
- Protect / Thunder Wave

BIRD UP. Follow Me Electabuzz can be at times be a pretty dank redirector lol. It can resist Flying-type hits, which can be pretty great if you want to use a QD Volcarona or something lol. It can be pretty bulky at times, which is p nice. It does everything what any redirector would do, which is to redirect hits. The choice between Protect or Thunder Wave is whether or not you'd like the Speed control. The spread lives Zard Y Overheat, outspeeds Jolly Breloom, and the rest is dumped in Defense. kacaw. It's not as great as other redirectors though so use it if you really need the synergy.

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Eviolite Electabuzz in Sun: 282-333 (84.4 - 99.7%) --guaranteed 2HKO
I find Pachirisu probably does this better unless you badly want Vital Spirit to beat Amoonguss. Super Fang is more generally useful to hit mons, and Nuzzle is super clutch for hitting Diancie or Ludicolo, etc.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
I find Pachirisu probably does this better unless you badly want Vital Spirit to beat Amoonguss. Super Fang is more generally useful to hit mons, and Nuzzle is super clutch for hitting Diancie or Ludicolo, etc.
Pachi is kinda squishier though. Oh and you can't use Follow Me with Vital Spirit iirc which is sad :[

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've become a huge fan of Roost on bulky ZardY recently, and it plays a bit differently than the usual Zard sets we see. What I like most about it is that it lets you play with Zard more aggressively than the conventional moveset since you can Roost off damage, and a lot of 50/50 matchups a normally damaged Zard has, such as LO Sharp, are a breeze. Just gotta be remember that Roost removes the Flying-type temporarily. sigh.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Roost

It makes Zard more susceptible to Wide Guard, and obviously you do lack coverage / nuke options, but those can be mitigated through team support.

Victini @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- Protect

252+ Atk Life Orb Victini V-create vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 351-413 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Victini V-create vs. 212 HP / 128 Def Thundurus: 398-468 (113 - 132.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Charizard: 382-452 (106.1 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Nice calcs

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
I run weakness policy because I have sun usually ;w;

if you're running in non-sun use life orb

KyleCol3 plz

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I run weakness policy because I have sun usually ;w;

if you're running in non-sun use life orb

KyleCol3 plz
[DAMAGE CONTROL]
----
edit galore:
I wanted to end my post there but I thought SpaceBass and probably Stratos might object so I guess I'll put this in too. I find it quite funny how KyleCole seems to think that Low Kick is creative, and then forgets all about Seismic Toss. pfft

Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: figure these out yourself ugh
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- SEISMIC TOSS
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch

set details: play like a normal Kangaskhan. use Seismic Toss when you're super Intimidated or when you're burnt. woo!

look at me I'm creative :^)

Last edited:

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Gourgeist-Super @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Trick Room
- Protect / Disable

TIME FOR PUMPKIN

I got the idea to use Trick Room super pumpkin from finally, somehow finding time to give me sets in between lewd PMs. He sent me some EVs that were great, and although I changed the set on the only team I had this on while fiddling with EVs and don't have the original, I stumbled across a way to make them better. Originally it lived a Brave Bird from LO Talonflame, and things like Heatran Heat Wave and some of the stronger Ice Beams, can't remember exactly what they did because I didn't make them.

The issue was that LO Bisharp had a chance to OHKO, and I like to run Sitrus Berry for bulk. I eventually came up with these, although Aegi and Zard Y can OHKO these EVs, while Hydreigon has a 50% chance to OHKO with Dark Pulse.

I made it always live a LO Bisharp Knock Off, granting much greater freedom in setting Trick Room. Being able to live a hit from one of Trick Rooms top offensive threats and retaliate back next turn with Will-O-Wisp without fearing Sucker Punch is great. It still retains the bulk to live the special hits the previous EVs do, just survives the Bisharp Knock Off. Not the best pick for every Trick Room team, most definitely has its time and place, but Ghost-type Trick Room setters are always good, and the second typing makes alot of difference for team synergy. I use it on a full Trick Room team with Mega Swampert and Hariyama.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 88+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 312-369 (83.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 88+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 291-346 (78 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Heatran Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 172 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 264-312 (70.7 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 172 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 314-372 (84.1 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 172 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 312-369 (83.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Inb4 flinch)

Last edited:
And because no one has posted this particular set, I figured out that I'd post it.

<--- O.O old lando be sniffin'

(M) @

EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 44 Def / 112 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Set Details:
This particular Landorus-Therian variant is an uncommon but very effective set, which takes advantage of its bulk more than it should take advantage of its speed. With attributes such as respectable HP stats and bulk combined with a very strong ability in Intimidate, Lando-T is a perfect pick for a bulky attacker. Sitrus Berry is a really good item to pair this Pokemon up with, so you're able to recover after tanking most neutral and a few super effective hits.

Hammer Arm is a really great way to deal with Kangaskhan, because it's outright annoying and sometimes even too hard to take down without the correct threats. Earthquake because duh. There's never a Landorus-T without EQ (unless you're something like Special Lando, which is very unorthodox), also getting rid of Heatran helps for certain Pokemon. Stone Edge is chosen over Rock slide because it reliably gets KO's on things like Charizard-Y and does a ton more damage to Thundurus than Rock Slide. However, this has the 20% miss chance, which sucks when it occurs, but the damage output never hurts especially with the high critical hit ratio. Finally, Protect. When Landorus becomes Fake Out fodder, click Protect and catch them off guard with what you have to do.

Also, the EV Spread listed can guarantee you the survival of these attacks:
  • 2 Modest Heatran's Heat Wave
  • 2 Jolly Weavile's Ice Shard and 1 Ice Punch (only when you get them to have the -1 drop)
  • 1 76+ SpA Thundurus's Hidden Power [Ice]
  • 1 Modest Charizard-Y's Heat Wave at Sunlight (2 if it's Timid)
  • 1 Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Return/Frustration/Double Edge at +1 (if Mega Mom does PuP on Lando switch-in)

Team Options:
Since this Lando-T variant is a bulkier and relatively slower one, it's best paired up in Semi-Trick Room teams, filling the role of the "in-between mode" (reference can be found here), with the addition of Hammer Arm to make Landorus slower in Trick Room. Pokemon that benefit from Bulky Landorus includes Mega Abomasnow, which hates Steels most notably named Heatran. Sylveon also creates a great partner for Landorus, being able to do the same role. Bulky Landorus also benefits from Hydreigon, which can kill Wide Guard Aegislash, the more common Aegi variant at the moment.

Replays:
While I don't really mind to save any replay at all, I figured out to save some to solidify everything I mentioned. Though some statements such as the calcs above cannot be found in any games [because damage calc], I'll leave some games right here: G1/G2

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Gourgeist-Super @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Trick Room
- Protect

TIME FOR PUMPKIN

I got the idea to use Trick Room super pumpkin from finally, somehow finding time to give me sets in between lewd PMs. He sent me some EVs that were great, and although I changed the set on the only team I had this on while fiddling with EVs and don't have the original, I stumbled across a way to make them better. Originally it lived a Brave Bird from LO Talonflame, and things like Heatran Heat Wave and some of the stronger Ice Beams, can't remember exactly what they did because I didn't make them.

The issue was that LO Bisharp had a chance to OHKO, and I like to run Sitrus Berry for bulk. I eventually came up with these, although Aegi and Zard Y can OHKO these EVs, while Hydreigon has a 50% chance to OHKO with Dark Pulse.

I made it always live a LO Bisharp Knock Off, granting much greater freedom in setting Trick Room. Being able to live a hit from one of Trick Rooms top offensive threats and retaliate back next turn with Will-O-Wisp without fearing Sucker Punch is great. It still retains the bulk to live the special hits the previous EVs do, just survives the Bisharp Knock Off. Not the best pick for every Trick Room team, most definitely has its time and place, but Ghost-type Trick Room setters are always good, and the second typing makes alot of difference for team synergy. I use it on a full Trick Room team with Mega Swampert and Hariyama.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 88+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 312-369 (83.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 88+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 291-346 (78 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Heatran Heat Wave vs. 248 HP / 172 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 264-312 (70.7 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 172 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 314-372 (84.1 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 172 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 312-369 (83.6 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Inb4 flinch)
It has disable, not protect you essex slut

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So I was messing around with one of my teams the other day and realized I didn't have anything for CM Cress. I could've just slapped Toxic on one of my mons but I wanted a more immediate answer so I was looking through some moves that a few mons can learn and came across this:

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Punishment
- Icicle Crash
- Protect
I know Dark-types already wall CM Cress but I was afraid of Moonblast :^(
Anyways Punishment is a really cool move with a base power of 60 that gains a +20 power for each boost that the target has. So after one CM, Punishment already does more than Knock Off. Plus, unlike Knock Off, it keeps its power so you can keep up the pressure. Everything else is pretty self explanatory IMO.

After one boost
252 Atk Weavile Punishment (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 198-234 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- 21.1% chance to 2HKO
vs Knock Off
252 Atk Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 192-228 (43.2 - 51.3%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO

It doesn't have much use other than checking CM Cress tho lmao

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Thundurus @ Life Orb
Timid
Prankster
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice
- Thunder Wave / Swagger / Taunt / Focus Blast / whatever
- Protect

>best offensive electric type
>everyone uses it like a fukin cresselia

Just ask KyleCole, this set is legit. beats out the diancie speed tier which is good as fuck, doesn't get many OHKOes with Tbolt but only needs a little bit of prior damage to take out any offensive Pokemon, and diancie/gross are often used to switch in on NVE hits. Fucks up keld/skymin too

I've never liked bulky thund in XY. Unless you're one of the no skill nellies who relies on yellow magic to win all of his games, i'd highly recommend looking at this set instead.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 60 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Due to a lack of mons that need the redirection support, Togekiss is here to fulfill a different role. Air Slash is a staple, used for great flinchhax and what not. Togekiss is a decent tailwind setter, something the team relies on. Heal Bell is a pretty cool move, allowing you to deal with situations where you have a burned kang and a sleeping mon, or someone is trying to yellow magic you.

As far as the spread goes, I started out by putting max EVs in HP to give it maximum bulk. Then, I gave it a timid nature and 176 speed EVs to outspeed jolly breloom. The 60 sp. def EVs are there to live a LO thunderbolt from Thundurus. The rest of the EVs are put into defense, but they could easily be put into special attack.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)