SM OU Counter 'em all, a Sash Counter Alakazam offense (peaked #4 on the ladder)

How is sash counter Alakazam in the current metagame?

• Total voters
Introduction

Hey there, I'm vsomani, and I am making my first RMT on my most successful team, which peaked #4 on the ladder and got me from 1600(when I started using the team)-1930 with only 3 losses. It was built around Sash Counter Alakazam because I felt it was a really cool Pokemon which would act as an emergency stop to a lot of threatening Pokemon for offensive teams.

Teambuilding Process
The team was built around Focus Sash + Counter Alakazam to deal with many physical set up sweepers like Azumarill, Bisharp, and Mega Gyarados.
Keldeo was added to the team to revenge kill Pokemon that are faster than Alakazam. It can check pesky Dark types like Greninja-Ash and can save Alakazam's Focus Sash against Pokemon like Bisharp.

Garchomp was added to the team to help vs balances and give me an electric immunity. It can check offensive fires that Keldeo struggles with like Charizard-Mega-Y. It also gives me a solid way to revenge kill Zygarde.
Tangrowth was added to the team because Pokemon like Tapu Fini and Tapu Koko seemed extremely annoying. It also checks Choice Scarf Garchomp and Opposing Keldeo.
Mega Metagross was added because my team was feeling weak to Tapu Lele. It appreciates Alakazam luring in Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor with HP Fire and Skarmory and Tangrowth being weakened by a + 2 Garchomp into Mega Metagross' range.
Heatran was added to provide me with a rocker, a consistent switch into Mega Scizor and to actually pressure steels. It is my secondary check to Tapu Lele and my primary Magearna check.
In-Depth Analysis

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Counter
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic​
The team was built around Alakazam. With its solid SpA and Speed stat it is able to chip many Pokemon. However, that is not what makes regular Alakazam so great. Regular Alakazam massively appreciates the ability to hold a Focus Sash. With its ability of Magic Guard, it is immune to Stealth Rocks, Sandstorm Damage, Leech Seeds, Burns, and Poisons. That means that it will almost always be able to live any attack from the opponent(only multi hit moves ko it). With something as physically frail as Alakazam, Counter gets many free kills. Alakazam survives the hit with its Focus Sash and gets a Counter off. Counter can easily beat Physical boosters such as Azumarill, Bisharp, Mega Gyarados, Salamence, Mega Charizard X, Double Dance Landorus-T, Mega Sharpedo, Mega Mawile, Pinsir-Mega, and SD Scolipede. That way, it's pretty much an insurance policy. However, Counter also also Alakazam to kill Specially Defensive Celesteela, only clicking Heavy Slam. It also allows Alakazam to beat Mega Metagross, Jirachi, and Bronzong 1v1. However, Alakazam only gets one Focus Sash, so its best to wisely use it. Hidden Power Fire lures in Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, while Thunder Wave drops the speed of many special boosters and other offensive dark types like Greninja-Ash. Alternatively, Shadow Ball deals heavy damage to Ghost types like Marowak-Alola and nail Psychics like Mew, Reuniculus, Mega Metagross, Jirachi, and Bronzong on the switch. Psychic is its primary STAB move, hitting Mega Venusaur, Tangrowth, Keldeo, Amoonguss etc for Maximum Damage. Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs are chosen to deal maximum damage and be as fast as possible, and a Timid Nature is chosen to outspeed 110 Base Speed Pokemon as well as Speed tie Dugtrio. A hasty nature is chosen to take less physical attacks and the same thing with 0 def ivs. 31 attack IVs are to boost Counters power on mandibuzz.

Kekdeo (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind / Stone Edge.
- Secret Sword
- Scald​
Keldeo is the fastest Pokemon on my team. It's solid natural bulk allows it to take Strong Neutral Attacks such as an offensive Landorus-T Earthquake. It can revenge kill Volcarona. Justified is the only ability that it has, with very little use of boosting the power of Stone Edge. Hydro Pump is its strongest water STAB. It can deal maximum damage in important situations such as against Mega Charizard X and Tapu Lele. Icy Wind gives Keldeo an option to click against Garchomp, Zygarde, and Salamence, while also preventing Pokemonlik Mega Charizard X from clicking Dragon Dance. Stone Edge helps vs Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y. Secret Sword hits Chansey and is the strongest accurate Fighting Type Move. Scald is chosen over Surf(even if you replace Hydro Pump) because it's the only way to force out Mega Sableye in this team. Maximum Speed investment with a Timid Nature allows it to outspeed Volcarona, and cutting out from bulk is a bit iffy, however, Stone Edge guarantees an OHKO on Volcarona with the Hasty Nature, and Volcarona is a little threatening without it. Choice Scarf is chosen for maximum speed, to creep Tapu Koko, Protean Greninja, Battle Bond Greninja, and some Swift Swimmers in rain

Garchomp @ Groundium Z / Life Orb/Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw/Outrage​
Garchomp is my primary balance breaker. It can weaken walls like Skarmory with a + 2 Fire Fang. It can quickly chip down Landorus-T and Tapu Fini with a +2 Dragon Claw and a + 2 Earthquake respectively for the team. It is surprisingly good as a moderately fast Swords Dance Sweeper. It also checks Charizard-Mega-Y. Swords Dance boosts Garchomps attack to break walls in balances, Earthquake is its Ground STAB hitting Pokemon like Nihilego. Fire Fang hits Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor. Dragon Claw hits Landorus-T and Outrage can be used in tandem with Dragonium Z to do even more damage. Groundium Z targets Tapu Fini for Keldeo and Clefable, while not quickly getting chipped by LO recoil. Life Orb boosts the power of all moves, because I do not need any specific Z Crystal to break most walls, however it gets worn down exceedingly fast. Dragonium Z Ohkoes defensive Landorus-T at +1 after SR, and deals a lot of damage to Rocky Helmet Tangrowth and Rotom Wash, Firium Z does much more to Skarmory and can beat Ferrothorn in rain. Maximum speed investment outpaces walls and outspeeds Charizard-Mega-Y. Maximum Attack is to deal as much damage as possible.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 180 SpD / 8 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]​
Tangrowth is the only dedicated wall of my team and takes on Tapu Fini, Mega Metagross. Tapu Koko, Keldeo, Scarf Garchomp, Zygarde, Defensive Landorus-T, Manaphy etc. Giga Drain gives me recovery, and I do not need to OHKO Mega Gyarados. Knock Off allows Tangrowth to Knock Off Chansey, Toxapex, Clefable, Gengar and a lot more. Earthquake is chosen for hitting Heatran, Bisharp, Magnezone, and Mega Metagross for maximum damage. Hidden Power ice hits Zygarde, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. A mixed defensive set allows it to better take on Mega Metagross, Keldeo, and Zygarde while also reliably beating Tapu Koko.and 8 speed evs creeps other Tangrowth, often allowing me to win a "Tangrowth vs Tangrowth". A sassy nature maximizes Special Bulk, while not cutting out on Tangrowths surprisingly high attacking stats for a wall. Regenerator allows Tangrowth to check Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini more times.

Meat (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake​
Metagross-Mega is the best Mega in the tier. It checks Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Tapu Bulu, which I would otherwise struggle against. Meteor Mash is its most spammable move and its primary STAB. Thunder Punch nails Celesteela and Skarmory, and with a little bit of chip on Skarmory(from Garchomp) it can be 2hkoes. Earthquake hits many steels and Marowak-A and is chosen over Hammer Arm as I do not feel I need to lure Ferrothorn more and OHKOing bulky Heatran is helpful. Ice Punch helps my matchup vs Landorus-T and SD Garchomp a lot.Maximum Speed investment with a Jolly Nature allows Mega Metagross to outspeed Garchomp and Charizard-Mega-Y while also speed tying opposing Mega Metagross, non Choice Scarf Gengar, Non Choice Scarf Latios, and Latias.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power​
Heatran was chosen as a Stealth Rocker which helps vs Tapu Lele and Tangrowth, as they both are annoying. Air balloon is the item of Choice because I was expirementing with many things to help vs Earthquake Mega Metagross, not get insta trapped by Dugtrio, hopefully be immune to Spikes, and beat other annoying threats. I have not ever regretted having an Air Balloon(not even against Tapu Fini) because it gives me a lot of help vs Mega Metagross, pressures Defensive and Offensive Landorus-T more, allows it to switch into any move of Tangrowth, and provides me a very helpful Spikes immunity. A timid Nature is chosen to outspeed smeargle.Taunts utility That has a roll to remove it, and guarantees it after Stealth Rocks. If that does happen, Garchomp won't be affected by intimidate, no sack fodder could take place against anything. Taunt massively helps the matchup vs stall. Magma Storm traps walls helping against Toxapex and Mega Venusaur, ohkoes Dugtrio and Skarmory through there Focus Sash and Sturdy, and prevents the stall player from pivoting into Mega Sableye onto a stealth rock because they are trapped.
Threatlist
Sableye Mega stalls(almost every stall have Sableye-mega ) is annoying to face because if Garchomp gets worn down or Heatran does not manage to set up stealth rocks, the game gets much harder. My record vs stall is 4-1. Heatran massively helps with stall.
I have no real switch ins to Medicham-Mega. However, with the offensive nature of this team, it can only come in on two Pokemon, and needs to come in through Volt-Turn support on one. The rest of the team easily beats Mega Medicham.
Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-560827068 - I 6-0 rain
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-561747281 - Beating Sorrys TR
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-562819365
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-562822366
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-564752022 - went super low on ladder using other teams, climbing back up
Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
IVs : 0 Def
- Counter
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Scald

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Qplaz
Stevan's Sceptile
Ahboep - Smasher04 on PS!
AnishSomani
Ironfist24
Panther-T - Air Baloon Heatran helps vs Donphan

Last edited:

3d

継続は力なり
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
hi there cool team and congrats on peak. ive noticed this team has a lot of trouble dealing with stall as since your primary breaker is garchomp, things like clefable + skarmory + mega sableye + dugtrio can really annoy this team as sableye can just knock off heatrans air balloon and then you're susceptible to dugtrio. you already stated this team is weak to sticky webs so im not gonna elaborate on that much further, but i do have solutions to help deal with everything that you listed as a threat that is actually threatening to this team.

firstly, to help deal with sticky webs i suggest you using taunt > hp ice on heatran. while this is used to lure in landorus-t, magma storm does a ton do it and lets you beat defensive sets (thanks to air balloon) and put offensive sets in range of almost everything on this team. taunt however, gives you a nice way to stop sticky webs from going up and get up your own stealth rock ensuring that smeargle won't get up webs again, if you play smart enough to never keep your tangrowth in. taunt also helps you trap things on stall before getting kod such as toxapex or chansey which can open a door for either keldeo or alakzam to do work vs stall.

my second change would be to replace garchomp with banded zygarde. you said that garchomp is this teams main breaker, however i think that banded zygarde is a much better breaker in this slot especially since garchomp isn't even your rocker. zygarde hits so much harder than garchomp right off the bat and can easily demolish balance with the help of heatran to hit landorus-t and tangrowth really hard which are BOs only real ways of dealing with this monster. on top of that, this set destroys stall. since heatran is trapping either chansey or toxapex it gets up rocks vs them which puts clefable in range of 2 zygarde tarrows. losing out on garchompm won't hurt this team too much since you still have a really strong breaker and abuses lack of ground resists, while also retaining strong dragon stab, and priority which can prevent sweepers like volcarona or mega pinsir from winning.

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Iron Tail

hi there cool team and congrats on peak. ive noticed this team has a lot of trouble dealing with stall as since your primary breaker is garchomp, things like clefable + skarmory + mega sableye + dugtrio can really annoy this team as sableye can just knock off heatrans air balloon and then you're susceptible to dugtrio. you already stated this team is weak to sticky webs so im not gonna elaborate on that much further, but i do have solutions to help deal with everything that you listed as a threat that is actually threatening to this team.

firstly, to help deal with sticky webs i suggest you using taunt > hp ice on heatran. while this is used to lure in landorus-t, magma storm does a ton do it and lets you beat defensive sets (thanks to air balloon) and put offensive sets in range of almost everything on this team. taunt however, gives you a nice way to stop sticky webs from going up and get up your own stealth rock ensuring that smeargle won't get up webs again, if you play smart enough to never keep your tangrowth in. taunt also helps you trap things on stall before getting kod such as toxapex or chansey which can open a door for either keldeo or alakzam to do work vs stall.

my second change would be to replace garchomp with banded zygarde. you said that garchomp is this teams main breaker, however i think that banded zygarde is a much better breaker in this slot especially since garchomp isn't even your rocker. zygarde hits so much harder than garchomp right off the bat and can easily demolish balance with the help of heatran to hit landorus-t and tangrowth really hard which are BOs only real ways of dealing with this monster. on top of that, this set destroys stall. since heatran is trapping either chansey or toxapex it gets up rocks vs them which puts clefable in range of 2 zygarde tarrows. losing out on garchompm won't hurt this team too much since you still have a really strong breaker and abuses lack of ground resists, while also retaining strong dragon stab, and priority which can prevent sweepers like volcarona or mega pinsir from winning.

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
Thanks for the rate, definitely appreciate people taking time to give advice to me. The Heatran change seems very good, but I did put Mega Sableye stall in the threatlist. I have ways for beating it by bringing tran into skarmory and firing off a magma Storm, ensuring me to get rocks off(modest magma 2hkoes sab). Because the stall player is unable to bring Sableye in, chansey is its switchin as it's trapped, guaranteeing me to get off stealth rocks. Making it taunt, though, will allow me to beat chansey at the cost of taking a lot of chip but still very helpful as I can catch it off if it's slightly weakened. I'll edit it as the first slash on the team, but it still makes me extremely weak to opposing SD Garchomp because my only check to that is Alakazam. However, I agree much less with the second change, because I don't really see much of a benefit at massive costs. It will make the team much weaker to Mega Scizor Balances, which are very common, because it beats zygarde. Heatran will be my only way of dealing with it, but they can merely switch out into something like a Zygarde. Similar things occur with Tangrowth Zygarde balances and Tangrowth Garchomp Balances. It also makes me far weaker to Mega Medicham, as instead of a Pokémon that can revenge kill it, I get a Pokémon that allows it to come in. Also, CB Zygarde is weaker than Lo Garchomp with their Ground STABs and with equal base power moves, Zygarde is only slightly stronger. Even stuff like Charizard-Mega-Y get a little out of hand. I may try it out to see if there is anything I missed, though.

3d

継続は力なり
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
tbh both garchomp and mega medicham are manageable for this team. one thing i forgot to suggest was running ice punch > zen headbutt on mega metagross. zen headbutt is a move that you rarely click especially since mega venusaur is so rarely seen. toxapex gets 2hkod by thunder punch as it does zen headbutt and quagsire beats mega metagross regardless unless you get double flinch. ice punch nails garchomp and landorus-t - and you're not really fearing scarf variants of these mons since tangrowth is usually a free pivot. regarding mega medicham, this things in range of espeed from zygarde if it literally takes any hit from this team, barring any non giga hit from tangrowth so im pretty sure u can play around it. also, in your post you mentioned how heatran beats stall but that literally isn't true at all. if your stall opponent goes chansey like in your situation they pop your balloon and then trap you with duggy, and then you pretty much lose to clef+sableye+skarm+pex after that. since clefable will never get 2hkod by garchomps hits and can even live tectonic rage, your main breaker at that point is completely useless. also if it takes a moonblast hit its just trapped by dugtrio. keldeos walled by pex, zams walled by sableye, metagross loses to counter skarmory, and tangrowth at best will knock off spam but will just get stalled out by toxic damage from toxic spikes, which this team can't get rid of. this is why i suggested you to use zygarde, since if heatran can get up rocks (which it can do easily) zygarde completely destroys stall and forces it to sack a mon everytime it comes in which is why i suggested it to being with. mega medicham can be played around with keldeo / mega metagross but you literally cannot break stall with this team.

tbh both garchomp and mega medicham are manageable for this team. one thing i forgot to suggest was running ice punch > zen headbutt on mega metagross. zen headbutt is a move that you rarely click especially since mega venusaur is so rarely seen. toxapex gets 2hkod by thunder punch as it does zen headbutt and quagsire beats mega metagross regardless unless you get double flinch. ice punch nails garchomp and landorus-t - and you're not really fearing scarf variants of these mons since tangrowth is usually a free pivot. regarding mega medicham, this things in range of espeed from zygarde if it literally takes any hit from this team, barring any non giga hit from tangrowth so im pretty sure u can play around it. also, in your post you mentioned how heatran beats stall but that literally isn't true at all. if your stall opponent goes chansey like in your situation they pop your balloon and then trap you with duggy, and then you pretty much lose to clef+sableye+skarm+pex after that. since clefable will never get 2hkod by garchomps hits and can even live tectonic rage, your main breaker at that point is completely useless. also if it takes a moonblast hit its just trapped by dugtrio. keldeos walled by pex, zams walled by sableye, metagross loses to counter skarmory, and tangrowth at best will knock off spam but will just get stalled out by toxic damage from toxic spikes, which this team can't get rid of. this is why i suggested you to use zygarde, since if heatran can get up rocks (which it can do easily) zygarde completely destroys stall and forces it to sack a mon everytime it comes in which is why i suggested it to being with. mega medicham can be played around with keldeo / mega metagross but you literally cannot break stall with this team.
Ok added Ice Punch> Zen Headbutt on Mega Metagross. That makes my matchup vs SD Garchomp better so not really worried about giving up hp ice.Im yet to test Zygarde > Garchomp but will do so when I get the chance.
E: I made Alakazam Hasty 0 iv in defense to live less physical attacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3d
I'm pretty sure your attack IVs and nature don't count with damage from Counter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a 0 in attack IVs and a Timid nature would be preferable.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I'm pretty sure your attack IVs and nature don't count with damage from Counter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a 0 in attack IVs and a Timid nature would be preferable.
Max Atk IVs makes Foul Play hit harder and he's Hasty because he's reducing the Defense on purpose to take maximal damage from any hit and power up its Counter

another option rather than zygarde i feel would be better is double dance landorus-t. dd lando screws over stall pretty hard once it gets a free chance to setup switch is pretty easy to achieve considering nothing is coming in on a +2 lando and it can't be trapped by duggy. you also have a rocker that can setup against stall to break skarm's sturdy to make the matchup even easier. jolly is used for the chance to outpace adamant medicham variants but if you don't think it's worth it adamant is fine. also bring you a ground immunity, buffer against zygarde, non-ice punch metagross (but they're pretty rare), and opposing lando. overall, it does help with the problems you have but it make you lose a way to revenge kill medicham.
Landorus-T @ Rockium-Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

this makes the matchup a bit scarier against volcarona but a neat tech would be thunder wave somewhere on alakazam to catch special boosting threats that counter would have no effect on. it's a suggestion so i can't dictate which move is more useful between hidden power fire and shadow ball. they have their perks but I'd say hp fire is more useful here for ferro and scizor.

finally an ev spread of 248 hp / 72 def / 188 spd on tangrowth with a relaxed nature would be nice for extra bulk against metagross and zygarde. alternatively you can drop the av and go with leftovers and add sleep powder > earthquake since heatran isn't too much of a threat at all and it catches medicham and other things like zard-y or volc looking to nab an easy ko / switch-in. be sure to run the ev spread i provided if you do so with the alternative suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestion. Mixed Defensive Tangrowth looks really nice here. I'll also test DD Lando and can't make an opinion on that.

For an update, Zygarde has been doing a little bit better than how well Garchomp did. I'm running Earthquake on it to 2hko Mega Scizor after rocks and make me feel a little safer on my Mega Sciz matchup.

3d

継続は力なり
World Defender
dd landot doesn't really screw over stall as hard as people think. dd landot cannot break clefable or quagsire at all. also playing stall for a while made me realize what is landot sding on? it's not sding on sableye because of will o wisp, chansey just toxics it making it lose to clefable, clefable can wish moonblast stall it, skarmory whirlwinds it, toxapex scalds it and puts it in range of 2 moonblasts from clefable and dugtrio toxics it and does 35 with reversal. dugtrio can toxic it because it will be at full granted the stall player sacks something before going into it. I already explained how zygarde literally destroys stall so im not gonna elaborate it further.

tangrowth set is fine and if you're running earthquake on zygarde vsomani fit tarrows over iron tail so you actually break stall

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have chosen to use Mixed Defensive Tangrowth, Taunt Heatran, and Ice Punch Mega Metagross. However, I will be keeping Garchomp as I did not have enough success with Zygarde, and was doubtful, and did not got much success with Landorus-T. Mixed Defensive Tangrowth, however slightly worse than I thought it was helps vs Choice Specs Keldeo, Landorus-T, and Mega Metagross. Choice Specs Keldeo has nothing that is willing to switch in, therefore folding in many kills if it gets the roll on Tangrowth. However, a spread of 72 Defense with a Relaxed Nature allows me to tank two Secret Swords. It slightly helps vs Landorus-T, and vs Mega Metagross, many people switch in while both of these Pokemon are fairly low. They expect their Ice Punch to KO, while it doesnt and the Metagross-Mega falls. The reason I have not gone with Full Physically Defensive is that it makes my matchup vs Tapu Koko terrible and Greninja-Ash will massively annoy the team. Taunt Heatran helps vs stall and Sticky Webs, which were previously the two biggest threats imo. Ice Punch Mega Metagross helps vs Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Zygarde to make up for the loss of HP Ice.

The biggest problem with Zygarde was that the speed tier of Zygarde is way too low, which was what I was fearing. However it is only a matter of a little bit - about 45 between Adamant Zygarde and Jolly Garchomp, that amount is pretty important for the team. With Zygarde, suddenly many wallbreakers like Tapu Lele, Kyurem B, Medicham-Mega are fearless, and instead of a way to Revenge Kill them, they get a free switch-in. Garchomp really helps vs stall as well because it also 2hkoes Clefable after rocks and if Skarmory wants to come in, a single fire fang will keep it in Mega Metagross ' range of 2 Thunder Punches. With Taunt on Heatran, the stall player struggles more to find a Pokemon to sack. In spite of the Matchup still being a bit iffy, the team has a way to beat stalls. Zygarde also struggles much more in breaking common balances because x fatmon like Slowbro, Mandibuzz, Tangrowth, Buzzwole will be able to take a hit and thats pretty much an autoloss. If I run EarthQuake, it also loses to Tapu Bulu balances, and if I run Iron Tail, I lose the way to 2hko Chansey after rocks and 2hko Mega Scizor after rocks. However, it is still a viable alternative. Priorty in Extreme Speed is cool, but I feel as if I cannot afford to do so.

Landorus-T also has similar issues like Zygarde, but more. It is also not able to outspeed breakers, similar to Zygarde. It also massively struggles beating Quag/Clef and Skarmory, and does worse than Garchomp against stall. While it provides me a win con against offensive builds, my team is already great at doing that. It also struggles to break Balance.

I don't see how you're struggling with Keldeo since Tangrowth switches in pretty easily even if it's Specs. Only Focus Blast actually dents it but I guess you're being overwhelmed and your best option would be to revenge it with Gross. I totally forgot during my rate, but you should definitely use Groundium Z Garchomp if you don't want Zygarde. The combination of Tectonic Rage + Earthquake actually breaks past Clefable and it's completely unexpected so you should nab the kill. Be sure to use a set of Dragon Claw / Fire Fang / Earthquake / Swords Dance for the best possible coverage and you should be fine. There are Skarmory 50/50's so it'd be best to reveal Swords Dance early to lure the stall player into insurance that it can come in against Garchomp with Clefable. EQ on the switch then Tectonic Rage. Clefable needs at least 5% prior damage to ensure that a min roll of Earthquake and Tectonic Rage can KO it after Lefties, so that means Rocks damage (you do have Tran) or any kind of chip whatsoever. This is assuming they are using 252 HP / 196 Def with a Bold Nature which they most likely are. Against Specially Defensive variants you've got the KO. This set isn't sweeping stall by itself but its a good tech to make it a bit easier by taking out at least 2 members itself.

Sorry for not telling you earlier since you really wanted to keep chomp, sorry about the DD Lando suggestion too that was actually meant for another rate that I scrapped and assumed was meant for you :x
The reason I put it was because without def evs Keldeo 2hkoes with spex sword after rocks even though I haven't faced one yet. Putting def evs helps with it.

Last edited:
Introduction

Hey there, I'm vsomani, and I am making my first RMT on my most successful team, which peaked #4 on the ladder and got me from 1600(when I started using the team)-1930 with only 3 losses. It was built around Sash Counter Alakazam because I felt it was a really cool Pokemon which would act as an emergency stop to a lot of threatening Pokemon for offensive teams.

Teambuilding Process
The team was built around Focus Sash + Counter Alakazam to deal with many physical set up sweepers like Azumarill, Bisharp, and Mega Gyarados.
Keldeo was added to the team to revenge kill Pokemon that are faster than Alakazam. It can check pesky Dark types like Greninja-Ash and can save Alakazam's Focus Sash against Pokemon like Bisharp.

Garchomp was added to the team to help vs balances and give me an electric immunity. It can check offensive fires that Keldeo struggles with like Charizard-Mega-Y. It also gives me a solid way to revenge kill Zygarde.
Tangrowth was added to the team because Pokemon like Tapu Fini and Tapu Koko seemed extremely annoying. It also checks Choice Scarf Garchomp and Opposing Keldeo.
Mega Metagross was added because my team was feeling weak to Tapu Lele. It appreciates Alakazam luring in Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor with HP Fire and Skarmory and Tangrowth being weakened by a + 2 Garchomp into Mega Metagross' range.
Heatran was added to provide me with a rocker, a consistent switch into Mega Scizor and to actually pressure steels. It is my secondary check to Tapu Lele and my primary Magearna check.
In-Depth Analysis

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def
- Counter
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic​
The team was built around Alakazam. With its solid SpA and Speed stat it is able to chip many Pokemon. However, that is not what makes regular Alakazam so great. Regular Alakazam massively appreciates the ability to hold a Focus Sash. With its ability of Magic Guard, it is immune to Stealth Rocks, Sandstorm Damage, Leech Seeds, Burns, and Poisons. That means that it will almost always be able to live any attack from the opponent(only multi hit moves ko it). With something as physically frail as Alakazam, Counter gets many free kills. Alakazam survives the hit with its Focus Sash and gets a Counter off. Counter can easily beat Physical boosters such as Azumarill, Bisharp, Mega Gyarados, Salamence, Mega Charizard X, Double Dance Landorus-T, Mega Sharpedo, Mega Mawile, Pinsir-Mega, and SD Scolipede. That way, it's pretty much an insurance policy. However, Counter also also Alakazam to kill Specially Defensive Celesteela, only clicking Heavy Slam. It also allows Alakazam to beat Mega Metagross, Jirachi, and Bronzong 1v1. However, Alakazam only gets one Focus Sash, so its best to wisely use it. Hidden Power Fire lures in Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, while Shadow Ball deals heavy damage to Ghost types like Marowak-Alola and nail Psychics like Mew, Reuniculus, Mega Metagross, Jirachi, and Bronzong on the switch. Psychic is its primary STAB move, hitting Mega Venusaur, Tangrowth, Keldeo, Amoonguss etc for Maximum Damage. Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs are chosen to deal maximum damage and be as fast as possible, and a Timid Nature is chosen to outspeed 110 Base Speed Pokemon as well as Speed tie Dugtrio. A hasty nature is chosen to take less physical attacks and the same thing with 0 def ivs. 31 attack IVs are to boost Counters power on mandibuzz.

Timid / Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Secret Sword
- Scald​
Keldeo is the fastest Pokemon on my team. It's solid natural bulk allows it to take Strong Neutral Attacks such as an offensive Landorus-T Earthquake. It can revenge kill Volcarona. Justified is the only ability that it has, with very little use of boosting the power of Stone Edge. Hydro Pump is its strongest water STAB. It can deal maximum damage in important situations such as against Mega Charizard X and Tapu Lele. Stone Edge helps vs Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y. Secret Sword hits Chansey and is the strongest accurate Fighting Type Move. Scald is chosen over Surf(even if you replace Hydro Pump) because it's the only way to force out Mega Sableye in this team. Maximum Speed investment with a Timid Nature allows it to outspeed Volcarona, and cutting out from bulk is a bit iffy, however, Stone Edge guarantees an OHKO on Volcarona with the Hasty Nature, and Volcarona is a little threatening without it. Choice Scarf is chosen for maximum speed, to creep Tapu Koko, Protean Greninja, Battle Bond Greninja, and some Swift Swimmers in rain

Garchomp @ Life Orb/Dragonium Z /Firium Z/Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw/Outrage​
Garchomp is my primary balance breaker. It can weaken walls like Skarmory with a + 2 Fire Fang. It can quickly chip down Landorus-T and Tapu Fini with a +2 Dragon Claw and a + 2 Earthquake respectively for the team. It is surprisingly good as a moderately fast Swords Dance Sweeper. It also checks Charizard-Mega-Y. Swords Dance boosts Garchomps attack to break walls in balances, Earthquake is its Ground STAB hitting Pokemon like Nihilego. Fire Fang hits Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor. Dragon Claw hits Landorus-T and Outrage can be used in tandem with Dragonium Z to do even more damage. Life Orb boosts the power of all moves, because I do not need any specific Z Crystal to break most walls, however it gets worn down exceedingly fast. Dragonium Z Ohkoes defensive Landorus-T at +1 after SR, and deals a lot of damage to Rocky Helmet Tangrowth and Rotom Wash, Firium Z does much more to Skarmory and can beat Ferrothorn in rain. Groundium Z targets Tapu Fini. Maximum speed investment outpaces walls and outspeeds Charizard-Mega-Y. Maximum Attack is to deal as much damage as possible.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 180 SpD / 8 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]​
Tangrowth is the only dedicated wall of my team and takes on Tapu Fini, Mega Metagross. Tapu Koko, Keldeo, Scarf Garchomp, Zygarde, Defensive Landorus-T, Manaphy etc. Giga Drain gives me recovery, and I do not need to OHKO Mega Gyarados. Knock Off allows Tangrowth to Knock Off Chansey, Toxapex, Clefable, Gengar and a lot more. Earthquake is chosen for hitting Heatran, Bisharp, Magnezone, and Mega Metagross for maximum damage. Hidden Power ice hits Zygarde, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. A mixed defensive set allows it to better take on Mega Metagross, Keldeo, and Zygarde while also reliably beating Tapu Koko.and 8 speed evs creeps other Tangrowth, often allowing me to win a "Tangrowth vs Tangrowth". A sassy nature maximizes Special Bulk, while not cutting out on Tangrowths surprisingly high attacking stats for a wall. Regenerator allows Tangrowth to check Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini more times.

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake​
Metagross-Mega is the best Mega in the tier. It checks Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Tapu Bulu, which I would otherwise struggle against. Meteor Mash is its most spammable move and its primary STAB. Thunder Punch nails Celesteela and Skarmory, and with a little bit of chip on Skarmory(from Garchomp) it can be 2hkoes. Earthquake hits many steels and Marowak-A and is chosen over Hammer Arm as I do not feel I need to lure Ferrothorn more and OHKOing bulky Heatran is helpful. Ice Punch helps my matchup vs Landorus-T and SD Garchomp a lot.Maximum Speed investment with a Jolly Nature allows Mega Metagross to outspeed Garchomp and Charizard-Mega-Y while also speed tying opposing Mega Metagross, non Choice Scarf Gengar, Non Choice Scarf Latios, and Latias.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power​
Heatran was chosen as a Stealth Rocker which helps vs Tapu Lele and Tangrowth, as they both are annoying. Air balloon is the item of Choice because I was expirementing with many things to help vs Earthquake Mega Metagross, not get insta trapped by Dugtrio, hopefully be immune to Spikes, and beat other annoying threats. I have not ever regretted having an Air Balloon(not even against Tapu Fini) because it gives me a lot of help vs Mega Metagross, pressures Defensive and Offensive Landorus-T more, allows it to switch into any move of Tangrowth, and provides me a very helpful Spikes immunity. A timid Nature is chosen to outspeed smeargle.Taunts utility That has a roll to remove it, and guarantees it after Stealth Rocks. If that does happen, Garchomp won't be affected by intimidate, no sack fodder could take place against anything. Taunt massively helps the matchup vs stall. Magma Storm traps walls helping against Toxapex and Mega Venusaur, ohkoes Dugtrio and Skarmory through there Focus Sash and Sturdy, and prevents the stall player from pivoting into Mega Sableye onto a stealth rock because they are trapped.
Threatlist
Sableye Mega stalls(almost every stall have Sableye-mega ) is annoying to face because if Garchomp gets worn down or Heatran does not manage to set up stealth rocks, the game gets much harder. My record vs stall is 4-1. Heatran massively helps with stall.
I have no real switch ins to Medicham-Mega. However, with the offensive nature of this team, it can only come in on two Pokemon, and needs to come in through Volt-Turn support on one. The rest of the team easily beats Mega Medicham.
Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-560827068 - I 6-0 rain
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-561747281 - Beating Sorrys TR
Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
IVs : 0 Def
- Counter
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Secret Sword
- Scald

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Qplaz
Stevan's Sceptile
Ahboep - Smasher04 on PS!
AnishSomani
Ironfist24
Panther-T - Air Baloon Heatran helps vs Donphan

Grats on the peak bro, and thanks for the shoutout! :)

I don't see how you're struggling with Keldeo since Tangrowth switches in pretty easily even if it's Specs. Only Focus Blast actually dents it but I guess you're being overwhelmed and your best option would be to revenge it with Gross. I totally forgot during my rate, but you should definitely use Groundium Z Garchomp if you don't want Zygarde. The combination of Tectonic Rage + Earthquake actually breaks past Clefable and it's completely unexpected so you should nab the kill. Be sure to use a set of Dragon Claw / Fire Fang / Earthquake / Swords Dance for the best possible coverage and you should be fine. There are Skarmory 50/50's so it'd be best to reveal Swords Dance early to lure the stall player into insurance that it can come in against Garchomp with Clefable. EQ on the switch then Tectonic Rage. Clefable needs at least 5% prior damage to ensure that a min roll of Earthquake and Tectonic Rage can KO it after Lefties, so that means Rocks damage (you do have Tran) or any kind of chip whatsoever. This is assuming they are using 252 HP / 196 Def with a Bold Nature which they most likely are. Against Specially Defensive variants you've got the KO. This set isn't sweeping stall by itself but its a good tech to make it a bit easier by taking out at least 2 members itself.

Sorry for not telling you earlier since you really wanted to keep chomp, sorry about the DD Lando suggestion too that was actually meant for another rate that I scrapped and assumed was meant for you :x
Thanks for the rate, after expirementing, I believe Tectonic Rage Garchomp is the best here to not let it get worn down too fast. Will add it to the OP soon.

I also did some other modifications including making Keldeo Icy Wind > Stone Edge and making Alakazam Thunder Wave > Shadow Ball.

E: Added them to the OP

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)