Computer Troubleshooting Thread

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There used to be a problem with the Firefox download manager where if you had too many links in the "history" of the download manager it would slow down every download. I think that's been fixed, but who knows, maybe the same problem happens in IE. Guess not.
I think I managed to fix the problem. Besides deleting all my IE7 temporary files and history, I also deleted all my Windows temporary files, which were in their thousands. A reboot later, and all is now normal. Thanks for helping!

I am having a problem with getting onto #smogon through mIRC. When i try to join it says I need a registered nick (which I have) to join the channel. It also says:This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. I do that and it then says the password is incorrect, even though I know what it is. Does anyone know what to do?

for a start, register using another nick. then log off and log back on using that nick, so that we know that mIRC is properly sending the login information. post results here.

I'm not sure if this counts as computer help but I didn't think that it warranted its own thread. Let me know if I would receive better advice by doing that.

I recently received a recommended student PC specifications sheet for a desktop and laptop from my future college. I was hoping for some recommendations on anything extra that I would need. I'd much rather have a laptop for convenience, so here is what they listed for that:

Processor: Intel Core2Duo T5450 or AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62
Memory: 2 GB of RAM appropriate for the processor type
Video: AMD Radeon Mobility x300 or nVidia GeForce Go 6000
Peripherals: Dual-Layer DVD multi-format optical writer
10/100 ethernet port
Built in wireless support for 802.11 b/g

So, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on the things that they listed 2 options for and any areas that I would want to upgrade for a college computer since I don't know what many of these things mean. Cost really shouldn't be an issue for this, but that doesn't mean I want to go overboard.

For the software, I think I should be good since one of the threads here lists good Spyware programs.

Any other suggestions such as extra features that are good to have or places to get a good deal on computers are welcome.

I guess i'll post my problem here.

My com has a very strange problem. Sometimes, when i on firefox, it'll immediately show that there's an illegal operation, which forces me to close it and reboot firefox.
Internet explorer will get it no matter what, i have no idea why. I normally just drag it to the side, and when i finish, i click it.
When i try to play flash games, it will have an illegal operation after a while, which forces me to close it. I can't even play games on neopets.
Is there any reason why it behaves like this?

But the worst part is when i try to play anything. Even if i play something as old as caesar III, or even my VBA emulator, my com will shut down automatically after a while, without warning. Strangely, Shoddy works, maybe because it's a Java program. It this a hardware problem, or an internal software problem?

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure if this counts as computer help but I didn't think that it warranted its own thread. Let me know if I would receive better advice by doing that.

I recently received a recommended student PC specifications sheet for a desktop and laptop from my future college. I was hoping for some recommendations on anything extra that I would need. I'd much rather have a laptop for convenience, so here is what they listed for that:

Processor: Intel Core2Duo T5450 or AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62
Memory: 2 GB of RAM appropriate for the processor type
Video: AMD Radeon Mobility x300 or nVidia GeForce Go 6000
Peripherals: Dual-Layer DVD multi-format optical writer
10/100 ethernet port
Built in wireless support for 802.11 b/g
Intel and AMD have actually been neck and neck in the processor game, although due to a common perception that Intel is superior AMD tends to be cheaper. I think that depending on your configuration you may be able to get a larger processor cache with the Intel processor, but if the AMD processor is cheaper I'd go for it.

Both video cards you mention are low-end and should be able to do most of your work and play back videos and such without difficultly. I'd recommend going with whatever is cheapest. I guess quantity of video RAM is a consideration, but if you're not playing games all you should really care about is whether the card is going to be using system memory (which neither will).

The one major thing for laptops to consider is the screen, whether you want it glossy or matte. Matte is probably recommended unless you're only going to be using the machine in dark settings, but if you're going to be using it outdoors at all the glare on a glossy screen would be pretty terrible.

You may also have other options for display. Generally, I consider anything designed to enhance brightness to be a waste of money; brightness is relative and I don't even use the highest brightness setting on my laptop. Screen resolution is up to you, although I will tell you that unless you're using a 17-inch notebook, you shouldn't need anything above 1440x900 (and 1280x800 will probably suffice for anything smaller than 15.4 inches).

One factor to consider is RAM clock speed; I believe that 667 MHz is the most common but OEM 800 MHz isn't significantly more expensive bought OEM (although distributors might charge significantly more for it). If your chipset can support 800 MHz RAM and it's not too expensive, I'd go for it.

Actually, economically the best way to go about RAM is to purchase it separately and install it yourself. I'd recommend purchasing the laptop with the minimum memory configuration and then adding a 2 GB stick yourself (which should cost $35-50 off some site like newegg.com). However, this only works if the minimum memory configuration comes in the form of a single stick and the laptop has two slots for memory. I'm pretty sure that this is the case for most major distributors, although you may want to double-check to be sure before you try it.

Dell's Vosotro seems to be pretty economical (Dell seems to be mostly concered with penetrating the notebook market), although I've never bought or used one. I've always bought and used HP's hardware, and one of their 15.4-inch notebooks should be able to meet your minimum specs without difficulty (probably in the range of $600-800).

The one trap that a lot of people fall into is springing for a large laptop hard drive. Generally, this is a bad idea. Laptop hard drives are significantly more expensive than hard drives that are physically larger. I'd go with the mimimum hard drive configuration and purchase an external drive. If you're willing to use an external drive that runs off an external power source (plugged into a wall, meaning that it would be limited to use at a single workstation), you can get a 500 GB external USB drive for under $120. If your laptop has a 80 GB internal drive, that should be enough to store all of your school-related material while you use an external drive to keep all of your media (assuming that you accumulate large amounts of HD movies and lossless music).

The laptop's internal drive should probably be 5400 RPM if you're concerned about battery life. If battery life isn't an issue, you may wish to spring for a 7600 RPM hard drive, although I wouldn't bother if it's tremendously expensive since the difference is marginal.

Probably the best thing to do would be to order the laptop you'd like to purchase from the manufacturer's website so that you can have the option to leave off extraneous features while meeting your minimum specs.

If you have to purchase it separately, Windows XP can be bought OEM for about $100.
I guess i'll post my problem here.

My com has a very strange problem. Sometimes, when i on firefox, it'll immediately show that there's an illegal operation, which forces me to close it and reboot firefox.
Internet explorer will get it no matter what, i have no idea why. I normally just drag it to the side, and when i finish, i click it.
When i try to play flash games, it will have an illegal operation after a while, which forces me to close it. I can't even play games on neopets.
Is there any reason why it behaves like this?

But the worst part is when i try to play anything. Even if i play something as old as caesar III, or even my VBA emulator, my com will shut down automatically after a while, without warning. Strangely, Shoddy works, maybe because it's a Java program. It this a hardware problem, or an internal software problem?

Thanks for the help.
You might want to open task manager to check to see if there are any processes which could be sapping your performance.

Erm, here's all the processes of my com, can you tell me if there's anything that's not supposed to be there? (Apart from those i know)

usnsvc.exe
svchost.exe
hprblog.exe
hpqste08.exe
hpqtra08.edxe
wdfmgr.exe
mdm.exe
ctfmon.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe X 4
jushed.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
crsss.exe
smss.exe
soundman.exe
raid_tool.exe
VTTrayp.exe
VTTimer.exe
alg.exe
wscntfy.exe
hpwuSchd2.exe

That's all, thanks. Also, i have avg anti virus on my com, and gadwin print screen.

Umm... I have a question and this is the closest thing to a computer SQSA thread.

I'm thinking about getting a oldish game (Aliens vs Predator 2) and it was made in 2001.
Now the question is can I play the game on a newer version of Windows than the game (I'm using an XP and the Version requirements for the game is 98/2000/ME)?

Hey there.

Lately my computer has been freezing up on me. In the beginning it could sit for an hour or two and be fine, but several times now it has locked up on the windows start up screen, even in safe mode. It doesn't crash all the way to the blue screen or show any error messages, it just slows way down and the "accessing hard drive" light stops showing activity. Looking in the error log I did see some stuff about HD errors, not sure what to make of it.

It's running windows XP home edition with an AMD 4000+ 2.41 ghz processor with 2 gigs of ram, with a maxtor HD and another HD whose brand currently escapes me.

It's been very good me on a whole for two or three years, and I'm just wondering if the problem is software or hardware related. The first step of my troubleshooting plan is to reformat everything and reinstall windows and see what happens. Does anyone think they might have an inkling as to what's going on? I can go into more detail if that would be helpful.

Alright guys, I have a question. Basically my situation is this: I am capturing video on a crap computer(PC), and I really don't want to deal with encoding etc on it. I'd like to send the files I capture on the PC to my mac so I can fiddle with them. How would I do this? I'd like to send it directly via my wireless router if that is possible (I'm running DD-WRT btw).

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Basically, my desktop won't turn on. When I press the power switch, it flashes amber, and the front lights turn on momentarily, but nothing happens - it doesn't boot or anything. The motherboard light is on, as are 2 lights on my ethernet port - they are orange and yellow.

This happened after my computer randomly froze while I was using it - this happens a lot and I usually have to reboot the computer manually; however, this time, I did not reboot. Before that happened, there was an event where my fan sped up to abnormal speeds - this happened for about 5-10 minutes then subsided. Afterward, operation was normal until it froze.

It's a Dell XPS, can't remember the model name.

Umm... I have a question and this is the closest thing to a computer SQSA thread.

I'm thinking about getting a oldish game (Aliens vs Predator 2) and it was made in 2001.
Now the question is can I play the game on a newer version of Windows than the game (I'm using an XP and the Version requirements for the game is 98/2000/ME)?
In general, you can run games for older Windows versions on newer versions. There might be an individual incompatibility, but those are rare.

Alright guys, I have a question. Basically my situation is this: I am capturing video on a crap computer(PC), and I really don't want to deal with encoding etc on it. I'd like to send the files I capture on the PC to my mac so I can fiddle with them. How would I do this? I'd like to send it directly via my wireless router if that is possible (I'm running DD-WRT btw).
Well, you could get an external USB hard drive and use that; that would most likely be less trouble than messing with networking!

If you'd prefer to blast it over the network, however, then you can share the files on the PC and have the Mac access them, but I don't know how to use a Mac because I don't own one.

Hey there.

Lately my computer has been freezing up on me. In the beginning it could sit for an hour or two and be fine, but several times now it has locked up on the windows start up screen, even in safe mode. It doesn't crash all the way to the blue screen or show any error messages, it just slows way down and the "accessing hard drive" light stops showing activity. Looking in the error log I did see some stuff about HD errors, not sure what to make of it.

[...]
Sounds kind of like either one of your drives could be going bad. My advice: Boot from a LiveCD and back up all your data, and wait for the drive to make scary noises. If the drive's dying that's all you can do.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I kept my old Hard Drive when I changed computer 2 months ago in hope of recovering its data eventually.

Problem is I go from IDE to SATA. Basically I'm wondering if there exist adaptors that would allow me to plug that 2nd drive as a slave secondary drive. Googling comes up with a lot of stuff which has me totally confused.

I don't need the extra space, I just want to be able to transfer data.

thanks for reading

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lately, I've had this unexplainable problem with IE (I have Windows XP). For some reason, only on my particular account on this computer, it does not work. While it gives me the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message, my internet is fully connected and the crazy thing is that it works perfectly on my mom's and sister's Windows accounts! I can provide any more details as necessary, but I honestly don't know what else to say. It's really weird, and I have no idea what's happening.

I am posting this via Firefox on same said Windows account where IE has problems; yes I know a lot of you say Firefox pwns, but all of my favorites, bookmarks, saved passwords, etc. are saved on IE, and I'm more familiar with it. So please no "JUST USE FIREFOX".

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help D:

I have a very strange problem with my home internet and one particular site: Google. I can enter search criteria and display the results, but whenever I click on a link to take me to another page, it tries to redirect me to something like siteresults1.[something generic yadayadayada] and it really ticks me off because I then have to copy and paste the green link underneath the page description into the web address bar at the top of the screen. It has been happening for about a week now.

Can anyone offer any indication as to why this might be happening?

Edit: also, have compatability issues with Vista been sorted out yet, because at the moment no games will play on my Vista laptop.

I kept my old Hard Drive when I changed computer 2 months ago in hope of recovering its data eventually.

Problem is I go from IDE to SATA. Basically I'm wondering if there exist adaptors that would allow me to plug that 2nd drive as a slave secondary drive. Googling comes up with a lot of stuff which has me totally confused.

I don't need the extra space, I just want to be able to transfer data.

thanks for reading
If you just want to recover the data, you could buy an external USB enclosure that accepts IDE rather than trying to go IDE to SATA. You can probably get one off Newegg for pretty cheap.

I am posting this via Firefox on same said Windows account where IE has problems; yes I know a lot of you say Firefox pwns, but all of my favorites, bookmarks, saved passwords, etc. are saved on IE, and I'm more familiar with it. So please no "JUST USE FIREFOX".
It's possible to import all your IE settings in Firefox. In Firefox, select File > Import... to open the import wizard, which will allow you to transfer favorites/bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.

One Firefox plug-in that might make things a bit less painful for you is IE tab, it allows you to render pages within Firefox using IE.
I have a very strange problem with my home internet and one particular site: Google. I can enter search criteria and display the results, but whenever I click on a link to take me to another page, it tries to redirect me to something like siteresults1.[something generic yadayadayada] and it really ticks me off because I then have to copy and paste the green link underneath the page description into the web address bar at the top of the screen. It has been happening for about a week now.

I have no idea what the problem might be, but the Firefox plug-in Linkification makes all text links into hyperlinked text, so you would be able to click on the green text instead of having to copy/past or drag it into the address bar.

When I try to download shoddy, I can download the set-up but then it says application failed. I already have the latest version of java, any idea whats wrong?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone know if Final Fantasy 8 is compatible with Windows Vista?

Definitely some form of malware. Run a virus and spyware scan.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does anyone know if Final Fantasy 8 is compatible with Windows Vista?
If you're trying to play Final Fantasy VIII, don't play the PC version. If you MUST play the game on your PC, play the PSX version and emulate it. The game's video card compatibility is horrible. (See this thread for more detailed info.) Basically, any card in the Geforce 6000 series or newer will have graphical glitches with this game. This is because newer cards don't support the 8-bit paletted textures feature. The only solutions are to either use an older card or stick to the software rendering option, which doesn't look nearly as good.

If you're trying to play Final Fantasy VIII, don't play the PC version. If you MUST play the game on your PC, play the PSX version and emulate it. The game's video card compatibility is horrible. (See this thread for more detailed info.) Basically, any card in the Geforce 6000 series or newer will have graphical glitches with this game. This is because newer cards don't support the 8-bit paletted textures feature. The only solutions are to either use an older card or stick to the software rendering option, which doesn't look nearly as good.
Thanks for the advice... I've since found an Emulator and will be downloading it in steps (each disc is split into 11 48mb files) to play later.

Also, to cover my ass, yes I do have the PSX version and am only emulating to play it on my laptop.

pear said:
Definitely some form of malware. Run a virus and spyware scan.
Will be doing that at some point tonight. Thanks for the tip.

<matamato> i will help friend bam
<matamato> what do you want
<matamato> if i have to move, then i cant help you
<bam> No worries, you don't
<matamato> if i have to think hard, i cant help you
<bam> It's a weird problem; Shoddy works, I can get on a server and chat and view battles
<bam> but I can't load or save a team
<matamato> blame god
<bam> when I make a team and hit "save"
<bam> nothing happens
<matamato> blame god
<matamato> im gonna go play pokemon now
<bam> Thank you for all your help
<matamato> i havent played on shoddy in like 2 months
<matamato> what are the current trends
<bam> you are amazingly kind :D
<matamato> im practically a saint

Basically, when I try to save, nothing happens. If I click load, nothing happens. If I try to exit the teammaker, it asks if I want to save. If I hit yes, nothing happens, and if I hit no, it closes the window.

If I hit load team in a server, nothing happens.

I've been ok with it up until now, as I'm now required to have a Shoddy rating to vote on the Garchomp issue, and I know I'd easily be able to obtain that rating if I could save a team..any idea as to what the problem might be?

it could be an issue with your firewall, or perhaps your service provider is blocking IRC traffic. i'm sorry that i can't suggest a remedy, but a quick alternative would be using http://www.mibbit.com/ -- a site that routes IRC traffic through its HTTP servers using an Ajax interface.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)