[COMPLETED] Kingdra

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

FREE AT LAST

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Kingdra is arguably the best user of Swift Swim.</li>
<li>Dual STABs give almost unresisted coverage on the whole metagame, barring Ferrothorn, Azumarill, Whimiscott, and Empoleon.</li>
<li>It might have a small movepool, but has just enough.</li>
<li>Can utilize Choice Specs/Life Orb or Dragon Dance to be either a physical or special sweeper.</li>
<li>Has a respectable typing backed up by good defensive bulk.</li>
<li>It also resists Bullet Punch and takes neutral damage from all other priority.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Nerfs to the rain have affected Kingdra's sweeping potential.</li>
<li>Kingdra is extremely reliant on the rain.</li>
<li>Ferrothorn completely walls it.</li>
<li>Hydro Pump, Draco Meteor, and Surf nerfs all hurt its special set.</li>
<li>Sticky Web actually makes it slower than Starmie and other base 115 and higher Speed Pokemon.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Kingdra @ Life Orb<br />
Ability: Swift Swim<br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe<br />
Modest / Rash Nature<br />
- Hydro Pump<br />
- Draco Meteor<br />
- Surf / Waterfall<br />
- Dragon Pulse / Rain Dance</p>

<p>Even with the nerf to weather making rain last only five or eight turns, Kingdra remains an extremely threatening Pokémon when donning a Life Orb. With Swift Swim, Kingdra reaches an astonishing 538 Speed under the rain, meaning it outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame along with most Choice Scarf users. Although its Special Attack may seem lacking at first, with Modest and Life Orb, Kingdra actually hits surprisingly hard. Hydro Pump is Kingdra's main attacking STAB, and gets boosted by rain as well as Life Orb. Draco Meteor gets nearly perfect neutral coverage with Hydro Pump, and is Kingdra's secondary STAB option. While not spammable like Hydro Pump, Draco Meteor hits much harder, and hits more types neutrally. Surf is another Water-type move that can be used as a more consistent special attack if the accuracy from Hydro Pump is undesirable. Waterfall hits Blissey, a common switch-in to special Kingdra, on its much weaker physical defense, so it can be used instead. The last moveslot depends on what Kingdra wants to be doing. Dragon Pulse is a more reliable Dragon STAB option, as it doesn't lower Kingdra's Special Attack and has perfect Accuracy. On the other hand, Rain Dance makes Kingdra less reliant on Politoed, being able to set up its own rain and sweep from there.</p>

<p>Kingdra plays at its best on hyper offensive rain teams, so Damp Rock Politoed is an absolute must-have teammate for it. Its auto-rain ability is crucial to allowing Kingdra to sweep for as much time as possible. Specs Politoed can also be used, as it can lure in and weaken Ferrothorn, but usually the extra turns of rain are more valuable. Ferrothorn can set up entry hazards for Kingdra, which makes it much easier to score a OHKO instead of a 2HKO. Though any hazard setting Pokemon can work, Ferrothorn has particularly good synergy with rain teams, and prevents Kingdra from being troubled by other Swift Swim users. Other users of Swift Swim, such as Kabutops and Ludicolo, coincidentally make fantastic partners for Kingdra, as they can wear down each other's checks and usually make a late-game sweep possible. Finally, Choice Specs Magnezone also makes a nice partner for Kingdra. It works well on Rain teams by abusing a Thunder that can never miss and trapping a Ferrothorn for a 2HKO with Hidden Power Fire.</p>

<p>Kingdra @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry<br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe<br />
Adamant Nature<br />
- Dragon Dance<br />
- Waterfall<br />
- Outrage<br />
- Return / Rest</p>

<p>While special Kingdra is notable for how well it works under the affects of rain, Dragon Dance Kingdra sets itself apart by being useful even outside of it. Dragon Dance lets Kingdra boost its Speed and Attack even without rain, meaning that it can continue to sweep even after the turns of Drizzle have ended. Waterfall is Kingdra's main attacking option and gets its power increased even further when used in the rain. Also, when combined with Kingdra's Speed after a Swift Swim boost or a few Dragon Dances, the 20% flinch rate can come in handy. Outrage is an even more powerful STAB move, but it should be used with caution, as it will leave Kingdra vulnerable to both Confusion after two-three turns, as well as grant Fairy-types a free switch-in. Return is Kingdra's best move to hit Pokemon such as Azumarill, easily 2HKOing it at +1 after Stealth Rock. And if Azumarill switches in on an unboosted Return, it will then be KOed by a +1 Return the next time it switches in, provided that Stealth Rock is in play. However, Rest is another option for the last slot, and should be used in conjunction with Chesto Berry. This allows Kingdra to set up on Pokemon that try to burn it such as Rotom-W. Lum Berry can also be used, as it can provide a one-time heal from status, including Confusion from Outrage, but ChestoRest also lets Kingdra recover back to full health, so it is the more reliable option.</p>

<p>Even though Kingdra can work outside of the rain, Damp Rock Politoed is still one of the best partners. Nothing in the OU tier can outspeed a +1 Kingdra in the rain, and few things can withstand a +1 Adamant Waterfall in the rain without resisting it. Ferrothorn also makes a good partner, as it can lay down hazards for Kingdra and has good natural synergy with it and standard rain teams. Magnezone can trap Ferrothorn and switches in well against Azumarill's Play Rough, making it an excellent partner. Azumarill itself also works well with Kingdra, as it can wear down opposing physical walls such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory and appreciates rain support itself.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ferrothorn is often considered to be the best check to Kingdra. It resists both of its STAB moves, can paralyze it with Thunder Wave, and can set up entry hazards on it if Kingdra is locked into Outrage. Azumarill is a close second in terms of countering it, being immune to Outrage and resisting Waterfall, as well as being able to OHKO back easily with Play Rough. Azumarill also benefits from the rain that seems to follow Kingdra wherever it goes. If Kingdra has been weakened, a priority Brave Bird from Talonflame can pick it off. If the special set can be forced to use Draco Meteor, then it becomes much easier to handle, so baiting it with Pokemon such as Multiscale Dragonite and Goodra can work. Changing the weather is also an option, but no weather setter wants to switch into either Kingdra set. Timid Gardevoir can Trace Swift Swim and outspeed Kingdra in the rain, easily OHKOing with Moonblast. Sylveon and Florges can check the special set; they can tank any one of Kingdra's moves and OHKO back with Moonblast.</p>

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I really don't like the fact that Choice Specs is the first item. Both of your STABs are set up bait for different Pokemon, and Kingdra is one of the best Rain setters thanks to it's ability to force switches. The ability to switch moves I think it crucial for Kingdra. For now I don't even think Specs deserves a slash, but maybe an AC mention.

For your second set "Can negate the effects of Sticky Web" is incorrect. Even at +1 you're still out speed by base 100 speed tier Pokemon. I don't know if I like Life Orb as an option on the Dragon Dance set, I think the main idea behind Kingdra is to set up multiple Dragon Dances before trying to sweep, which is why I think Leftovers is the best option for it.

For your checks and counters section, you haven't mentioned any Fairy types. Azumarill and Sylveon I think are the best checks to Kingdra. I suggest mentioning them.

Apart from that, this sounds fine. Update these changes and I have no problem stamping this.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would seriously scrap Choice Specs or make it lower down the list. Mixed attacking sets are probably Kingdra's prime next to pure special movesets and Dragon Dance (though Dragon Dance is certainly weaker with Fairies present... like Azumarill).

Definitely mention Azumarill as a counter to Kingdra - Kingdra literally can't do jack shit to it and Azumarill can just pounce on you with Play Rough.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Ok, I talked to ShootingStarmie about this and I agree that Specs is not ideal right now, so I'm going to change the first set up a bit. I also like the idea of a mixed set, so I'll probably slash Waterfall after Surf and slash a Naive nature. Unless anyone on QC objects, that's the direction I'll take the set. About the counters, it's not like I missed Azumarill entirely, it's in the cons section...but yeah I forgot to add it to c&c so I'll do that now. Thanks guys!

Hmmmm. Im not QC, but I honestly think that Rest should be the first slash on the fourth slot and hesto the first item slash. While Kingdra has decent bulk, it's not THAT bulky to the point where it can let you set up 2 DD's. Also, a Twave ir Toxic can be crippling, so IMO restochesto over lefties

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
I like Rest + Chesto Berry, but Return in my testing I found Return to be almost irreplaceable. Azumarill is everywhere and it really needs something that can hurt it as much as possible. Azumarill might switch in thinking it will DD (or if the set is unrevealed, literally anything from the Special set), in which case you can 2HKO it with Return. In fact, after hitting it with +0 Return, it can no longer check you, as a +1 Return can almost always KO after two switch ins to SR. The minimum that combination does (2 SR + Return + Return at +1) is 98%. If Azumarill has taken any other prior damage, it can't check Return Kingdra at all. I just think that's too good to pass up. Thanks for the input though!

-Fix the EV spread order: It should be HP / ATK / DEF / SPA / SPD / SPE

-No mention of unreleased Pokemon please (Tornadus)

-I don't think Rain Dance should even be slashed in the DD set, if you have time to set up a Rain Dance, you might as well get up another DD instead. Not to mention that Return anD rest have FAR greater uses than RD and it just cluttering the moveslot.

Once these changes are made....

QC APPROVED 2/3

I think it's worth mentioning somewhere that Kingdra can be hit by the move Freeze Dry for 4x damage, so anyone that makes good use of that is a good check. Lapras seems to be the best user at the moment, since it can absorb his water moves, resists his Ice Beam 4x, and has enough bulk to take one of his Dragon moves and OHKO with Freeze Dry.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
I think it's worth mentioning somewhere that Kingdra can be hit by the move Freeze Dry for 4x damage, so anyone that makes good use of that is a good check. Lapras seems to be the best user at the moment, since it can absorb his water moves, resists his Ice Beam 4x, and has enough bulk to take one of his Dragon moves and OHKO with Freeze Dry.
As far as I know, there aren't any OU viable Pokémon that can use Freeze Dry. I checked, and all of them have a chance to be OHKOed by Kingdra after Stealth Rock. Lapras is the only Pokémon that comes close, being able to survive a LO Draco Meteor if it's running a specially defensive set, but it gets OHKOed by a +1 Outrage after Stealth Rock. I honestly don't think that it's worth mentioning something so uncommon. Thanks for the input though!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We should either slash Focus Energy + Scope Lens first on the first set or make a separate set for it. Focus Energy + Sniper + Scope Lens means you crit 100% of the time and your crits do 2.25% of the original damage, meaning it's an even bigger boost than Nasty Plot. Not only this, but you can spam Draco Meteor freely after a Focus Energy, as the SpA drops are nullified by the crits that will always occur. This is the set:

<p>Kingdra @ Scope Lens<br />
Ability: Sniper<br />
Modest Nature<br />
- Focus Energy<br />
- Draco Meteor<br />
- Hydro Pump / Surf<br />
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Electric</p>

Hidden Power Fire OHKOes Ferrothorn with a crit, while Hidden Power Electric does 77% minimum to 252 HP Azumarill with a crit. Here are some other calcs (all crits):
  • Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand on a critical hit: 342-404 (84.65 - 100%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Goodra on a critical hit: 306-360 (79.68 - 93.75%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash on a critical hit: 252-297 (77.77 - 91.66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W on a critical hit: 289-342 (95.37 - 112.87%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn on a critical hit: 340-400 (96.59 - 113.63%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss on a critical hit: 316-373 (84.71 - 100%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges on a critical hit: 189-223 (52.5 - 61.94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
As some other people already said in this thread I really don't feel like Choice Specs Kingdra will do too well with rain now lasting a maximum of eight turns and the fact that being locked into Draco, especially after having your Special Attack lowered can give a lot of set-up opportunities, but there were some statements made which are really insulting to this things power. Ferrothorn does not wall all Kingdra sets. Neither does Azumarill. I am not talking about Hidden Power Fire here, that's just garbage unless you're not using Swift Swim.

+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 164 SpD Ferrothorn: 148-175 (42.04 - 49.71%) -- 38.67% chance to 2HKO after Spikes

That is not a counter. I'm sorry but the third sentence in the Cons-section is 'Ferrothorn walls it' and that's just completely untrue. Modest Life Orb Kingdra does a good chunk, too, so after switching in once it's just going to straight up die. To sum this up: Ferrothorn is not walling Specs Kingdra in a thousand years. All you need is one layer of Spikes for having almost a 40% chance to straight up 2HKO Ferrothorn lacking Protect. The +1 is the rain boost. If you're not using rain or trying to counter rain then don't use Kingdra.

+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 234-276 (59.39 - 70.05%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 203-239 (51.52 - 60.65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It obviously gets outsped and Aqua Jet does absolutely nothing, even with a rain boost.

+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 46-55 (15.8 - 18.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
As some other people already said in this thread I really don't feel like Choice Specs Kingdra will do too well with rain now lasting a maximum of eight turns and the fact that being locked into Draco, especially after having your Special Attack lowered can give a lot of set-up opportunities, but there were some statements made which are really insulting to this things power. Ferrothorn does not wall all Kingdra sets. Neither does Azumarill. I am not talking about Hidden Power Fire here, that's just garbage unless you're not using Swift Swim.

+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 164 SpD Ferrothorn: 148-175 (42.04 - 49.71%) -- 38.67% chance to 2HKO after Spikes

That is not a counter. I'm sorry but the third sentence in the Cons-section is 'Ferrothorn walls it' and that's just completely untrue. Modest Life Orb Kingdra does a good chunk, too, so after switching in once it's just going to straight up die. To sum this up: Ferrothorn is not walling Specs Kingdra in a thousand years. All you need is one layer of Spikes for having almost a 40% chance to straight up 2HKO Ferrothorn lacking Protect. The +1 is the rain boost. If you're not using rain or trying to counter rain then don't use Kingdra.

+1 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 234-276 (59.39 - 70.05%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 203-239 (51.52 - 60.65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It obviously gets outsped and Aqua Jet does absolutely nothing, even with a rain boost.

+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 46-55 (15.8 - 18.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock

Maybe I'm missing something but I have a few problems with this post. First of all, you're not using standard Ferrothorn, which carries 208 SpD EVs and you don't seem to take the drop on base power of Hydro Pump into consideration. In fact, it doesn't come close to 2HKOing even with Spikes (which is not a standard battle condition, ESPECIALLY with Defog and Excadrill being amazing). This is what I calc'd:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 132-156 (37.5 - 44.31%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Spikes

Ferrothorn now forces Kingdra out (which is huge considering the limited number of turns that rain teams have now), gets up a layer of hazards or Leech Seed, or can Thunder Wave a switch in. How is that not the exact definition of a counter? Something that can switch into any of Kingdra's moves and either kill it or force it out. That's exactly what Ferrothorn does in this case. Also, can I ask why you start by saying Specs Kingdra doesn't work in this meta and then continue to post calcs of Specs damage on Ferrothorn and Azumarill? Again, maybe I'm missing something, but this just doesn't make any sense to me. Ferrothorn has always been known as THE Kingdra counter, and I will not be removing it from the cons section, nor the checks and counters section. Azumarill may not be as big of a counter, but it is at the very least the best check to it in the game, certainly the best offensive check. I won't be removing it either.

Alexwolf, I'm not really sure how good a non-Swift Swim Kingdra will be in OU. I'm not completely opposed to adding it, but you need a turn to set up, and then, unlike SS variants, can be outsped and revenge killed the following turn. If other QC members could weigh in on this, that would be very helpful.

You're completely right, Ferrothorn actually is a Kingdra counter as of Generation 6. I was not factoring in the reduced base power of Hydro Pump because I was using the standard calculator. As of now, you won't be 2HKOing Ferrothorn even if you get maximum damage rolls twice. I used to get upset when people said Ferrothorn was a Kingdra counter, because in the BW2 metagame it was mostly utilized on rain teams, meaning the boost in power for Hydro Pump was always present and with permanent rain up Choice Specs Kingdra was way more of a threat than it is now. I used 164 Special Defense EV's because that's what I always use on my Ferrothorn. Funnily enough, I actually thought I had this EV spread straight from Smogon but apparently I'm wrong since both in the calculator and in it's BW2 analysis 208 Special Defense EV's are used. I haven't used Kingdra at all this generation so I completely forgot about the base power nerf. At least Kingdra can still get past defensive Ferrothorn. As to why I use the Choice Specs set: This is an analysis for Kingdra as a whole and even though Choice Specs is not it's best set currently it is still an alternative. To give you an example, I don't think it would be fair to say 'Skarmory counters Terrakion' just because Choice Scarf and Lead Terrakion are whilst the less common Choice Band or Swords Dance sets are not. Are you feeling me right now?

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Kingdra is arguably the best user of Swift Swim.</li>
<li>Unresisted dual STAB aside from Ferrothorn, Azumarill, Whimsicott, and Empoleon</li>
<li>Dual STABs give almost unresisted coverage on the whole metagame, barring Ferrothorn, Azumarill, Whimiscott, and Empoleon.</li>
<li>It might have a small movepool, but has just enough.</li>
<li>Can go special with can utilize Choice Specs/Life Orb or physical with Dragon Dance to be either a physical or special sweeper.</li>
<li>Has a respectable typing backed up by good defensive bulk.</li>
<li>It also resists Bullet Punch and takes neutral damage from all other priority.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Nerfs to the rain have affected Kingdra's sweeping potential.</li>
<li>Kingdra is extremely reliant on the rain.</li>
<li>Ferrothorn completely walls it.</li>
<li>Hydro Pump, Draco Meteor, and Surf nerfs all hurt its special set.</li>
<li>Sticky Web actually makes it slower than Starmie and other base 115 and higher Speed Pokemon.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Kingdra @ Life Orb<br />
Modest / Rash Nature<br />
- Hydro Pump<br />
- Draco Meteor<br />
- Surf / Waterfall<br />
- Dragon Pulse / Rain Dance</p>

<p>Even with the nerf to weather making rain last only five or eight turns, Kingdra remains an extremely threatening Pokémon when donning a Life Orb. With Swift Swim, Kingdra reaches an astonishing 538 Speed under the rain, meaning it outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame along with most Choice Scarf users. Although its Special Attack may seem lacking at first, with Modest and Life Orb, Kingdra actually hits surprisingly hard. Hydro Pump is Kingdra's main attacking STAB, and gets boosted by rain as well as Life Orb. Draco Meteor gets nearly perfect neutral coverage with Hydro Pump, and is Kingdra's secondary STAB option. While not spammable like Hydro Pump, Draco Meteor hits much harder, and hits more types neutrally. Surf is another Water-type move that can be used as a more consistent special attack if the accuracy from Hydro Pump is undesirable. Waterfall hits Blissey, a common switch-in to special Kingdra, on its much weaker physical defense, so it can be used instead. The last moveslot depends on what Kingdra wants to be doing. Dragon Pulse is a more reliable Dragon STAB option, as it doesn't lower Kingdra's Special Attack and has perfect Accuracy. On the other hand, Rain Dance makes Kingdra less reliant on Politoed, being able to set up its own rain and sweep from there.</p>

<p>Kingdra plays at its best on hyper offensive rain teams, so Damp Rock Politoed is an absolute must-have teammate for it. Its auto-rain ability is crucial to allowing Kingdra to sweep for as much time as possible. Specs Politoed can also be used, as it can lure in and weaken Ferrothorn, but usually the extra turns of rain are more valuable. Ferrothorn can set up entry hazards for Kingdra, which makes it much easier to score a OHKO instead of a 2HKO. Though any hazard setting Pokemon can work, Ferrothorn has particularly good synergy with rain teams, and prevents Kingdra from being troubled by other Swift Swim users. Other users of Swift Swim, such as Kabutops and Ludicolo, coincidentally make fantastic partners for Kingdra, as they can wear down each other's checks and usually make a late-game sweep possible. Finally, Choice Specs Magnezone also makes a nice partner for Kingdra. It works well on Rain teams by abusing a Thunder that can never miss and trapping a Ferrothorn for a 2HKO with Hidden Power Fire.</p>

<p>Kingdra @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry<br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe<br />
Adamant Nature<br />
- Dragon Dance<br />
- Waterfall<br />
- Outrage<br />
- Return / Rest</p>

<p>While special Kingdra is notable for how well it works under the affects of rain, Dragon Dance Kingdra sets itself apart by being useful even outside of it. Dragon Dance lets Kingdra boost its Speed and Attack even without rain, meaning that it can continue to sweep even after the turns of Drizzle have ended. Waterfall is Kingdra's main attacking option and gets its power increased even further when used in the rain. Also, when combined with Kingdra's Speed after a Swift Swim boost or a few Dragon Dances, the 20% flinch rate can come in handy. Outrage is an even more powerful STAB move, but it should be used with caution, as it will leave Kingdra vulnerable to both Confusion after two-three turns, as well as grant Fairy-types a free switch-in. Return is Kingdra's best move to hit Pokemon such as Azumarill, easily 2HKOing it at +1 after Stealth Rock. And if Azumarill switches in on an unboosted Return, it will then be KOed by a +1 Return the next time it switches in, provided that Stealth Rock is in play. However, Rest is another option for the last slot, and should be used in conjunction with Chesto Berry. This allows Kingdra to set up on Pokemon that try to burn it such as Rotom-W. Lum Berry can also be used, as it can provide a one-time heal from status, including Confusion from Outrage, but ChestoRest also lets Kingdra recover back to full health, so it is the more reliable option.</p>

<p>Even though Kingdra can work outside of the rain, Damp Rock Politoed is still one of the best partners. Nothing in the OU tier can outspeed a +1 Kingdra in the rain, and few things can withstand a +1 Adamant Waterfall in the rain without resisting it. Ferrothorn also makes a good partner, as it can lay down hazards for Kingdra and has good natural synergy with it and standard rain teams. Magnezone can trap Ferrothorn and switches in well against Azumarill's Play Rough, making it an excellent partner. Azumarill itself also works well with Kingdra, as it can wear down opposing physical walls such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory and appreciates rain support itself.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ferrothorn is often considered to be the best check to Kingdra. It resists both of its STAB moves, can paralyze it with Thunder Wave, and can set up entry hazards on it if Kingdra is locked into Outrage. Azumarill is a close second in terms of countering it, being immune to Outrage and resisting Waterfall, as well as being able to OHKO back easily with Play Rough. Azumarill also benefits from the rain that seems to follow Kingdra wherever it goes. If Kingdra has been weakened, a priority Brave Bird from Talonflame can pick it off. If the special set can be forced to use Draco Meteor, then it becomes much easier to handle, so baiting it with Pokemon such as Multiscale Dragonite and Goodra can work. Changing the weather is also an option, but no weather setter wants to switch into either Kingdra set. Timid Gardevoir can Trace Swift Swim and outspeed Kingdra in the rain, easily OHKOing with Moonblast. Sylveon and Florges can check the special set; they can tank any one of Kingdra's moves and OHKO back with Moonblast.</p>
gp approved

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Thanks Zystral! But before I mark this as completed, does anyone else have any input on Sniper Kingdra? It seems like other options material to me, but I want to make sure before this is finished.

It's actually an OK set tbh. When alexwolf posted it I tried it out and it was a pretty damn good Rotom-Wash lure which was nice. Other than that it was pretty underwhelming as even though it has good typing and natural bulk it gets RK'ed pretty easily by faster mons if it takes damage while setting up a Focus Energy. Faster dragons also make it's life miserable. All in all it's an okay Rotom/Rachi lure but mostly is inferior to SS sets imo. Probably OO in my opinion.

Definitely OO material. I don't think it's worth using Kingdra like that. I'd much rather LO that for the immediate power, especially when it's under the rain, which it always is/should be. Mark it as done.

Reactions: tab

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Wait a minute... doesn't anyone remember double-dance Kingdra from Gen 4? Straight from the on-site analysis:

Adamant, 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
~ Rain Dance
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Outrage

I feel like this set could be effective once again in OU, as it allows you to boost your power and speed as necessary, depending on your opponent's team. Adding Rain Dance as a slash in the 4th slot of the second set would match this one, although whether you want more HP for survivability or the max Speed is up to debate.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
In agreement with fuzznip that Sniper should be OO. If you are using Kingdra in XY, 99% of the time its for Swift Swim boost on a Rain team or on a Rain Dance set.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, after thinking about it a bit more, you have a really big lack of power prior to set up and you are quite slow to be boosting only your power. This is better suited for OO, which doesn't exist for now but whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)