[COMPLETED] Aurorus

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

There's a reason it went extinct, y'know...

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Aurorus features a cool new ability that can buff moves like Tri Attack and Echoed Voice.</li>
<li>Its special bulk has potential.</li>
<li>Its Special Attack stat is usable.</li>
<li>It has enough coverage to utilize a variety of moves.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>It has possibly the worst defensive typing in the game, making it 4x weak to common forms of priority AND weak to all forms of entry hazards.</li>
<li>Aurorus is slow, and easily forced out as a result.</li>
<li>Snow Warning is not yet released.</li>
<li>It doesn't receive a strong Rock-type STAB.</li>
<li>Aurorus doesn't really have a niche in the metagame.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Aurorus @ Life Orb / Leftovers<br />
Ability: Refrigerate<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD <br />
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)<br />
- Nature Power<br />
- Ancient Power<br />
- Freeze Dry / Thunderbolt<br />
- Encore</p>

<p>This set is kind of making sand castles out of crap. Tri Attack (Nature Power) is its most powerful STAB, thanks to Refrigerate, and has a 20% chance to freeze, burn, or paralyze the opponent. Ancient Power is the best Aurorus can do on the special side with its Rock-type STAB. Freeze Dry gets better coverage on Water / Ground types such as Quagsire and Swampert, but Thunderbolt works better against Skarmory. Finally, Encore is good for trapping your opponent into an bad move, if you're somehow faster than it. This can give you an opportunity to whip out your appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Aurorus could also utilize support options such as dual screens or Thunder Wave. Calm Mind is there if Aurorus needs to boost, but it's often forced out before it can abuse the boosts. It can abuse Echoed Voice with Refrigerate to hit Dragons through their Substitutes. Finally, it can use Assault Vest to boost its already impressive Special Defense, but understand that Aurorus will sorely miss its Leftovers.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Where do we start? 4x weaknesses to Fighting and Steel is a huge deal, especially with priority running all over the OU metagame from Scizor and Conkeldurr. It's predictable when it's going to come, but it forces Aurorus out extremely easily. Aurorus is also weak to Ground, Rock, Water, and Grass, which are prevalent on Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Tyranitar, Excadrill, and Mega Venusaur. It doesn't resist much either, so it's hard to switch in to create momentum, which is compounded upon its weakness to all forms of entry hazards. Physical attacks from anything faster than Aurorus will wipe it out. It has plenty of coverage; the problem is that it's too slow and frail to do anything with it.</p>

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would think Specs would be better. I mean you're going to want to take as much of an advantage with your attacks before you fall apart anyway and Life Orb is only doing favors with switching attacks at a cost of health draining.

Hidden Power Ground needs a mention to catch Magnezone.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't think choiced items are really viable for Aurorus, simply because it's susceptible to all hazards, and can't really afford to be making lots of switches. It faces a lot of stiff competition from Abomasnow in terms of spamming Blizzard with Snow Warning; the only real advantage it has over 'snow is its diverse coverage. Wasting that in favor of Specs or Scarf is a waste, in my opinion.

We can see what QC thinks though; I put this into QC Ready phase.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think so actually. Unless you can use an Ability Capsule on Aurorus. It's not available in the Friend Safari.

Last edited:

meddle

boomer user
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think so actually. Unless you can use an Ability Capsule on Aurorus. It's not available in the Friend Safari.
Can't Ability Capsule to Hidden Abilities I don't think. And, yeah, not available in safaris or hordes.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Nature Power -> Tri Attack is boosted by Refrigerate and changed to Ice. Depending on the exact boost (30% or 1/3), Tri Attack is 104-106 BP before STAB and has 20% activation rate. Definitely worth using.

Birkal

We have the technology.
Sorry, I wasn't aware we knew this thing's hidden ability, but somehow haven't obtained it in game. I'll edit this accordingly tomorrow. Stellar, Tri Attack is certainly better with Refrigerate, but Blizzard has more BP and perfect accuracy when used in tandem with Snow Warning. Regardless, Tri Attack is the main STAB option on any Refrigerate set, yes.

EDIT: Fixed the OP, ready for final QC check.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Birkal

REMOVE
CHANGE COMMENTS

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Aurorus features a cool new ability that can buff moves like Tri Attack and Echoed Voice.</li>
<li>Its special bulk has potential.</li>
<li>Its Special Attack stat is usable.</li>
<li>It has enough coverage moves to utilize a variety of moves.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>It has possibly the worst defensive typing in the game, making it 4x weak to common forms of priority, (RC) AND weak to all forms of entry hazards.</li>
<li>Aurorus is slow, and easily forced out as a result.</li>
<li>Snow Warning is not yet released.</li>
<li>It doesn't receive a strong, (RC) Rock-type STAB.</li>
<li>Aurorus doesn't really have a niche in the metagame.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Aurorus @ Life Orb / Leftovers<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD <br />
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)<br />
- Tri Attack<br />
- Ancient Power<br />
- Freeze Dry / Thunderbolt<br />
- Encore</p>

<p>This set is kind of making sand castles out of crap. Tri Attack is its most powerful STAB, thanks to Refrigerate, and has a 20% chance to freeze, burn, or paralyze the opponent. Ancient Power is the best Aurorus can do on the special side of with its Rock-type STAB. Freeze Dry gets better coverage on Water / Ground types such as Quagsire and Swampert, but Thunderbolt works better against Skarmory. Finally, Encore is good for trapping your opponent into an bad move, if you're somehow faster than it. This can give you an opportunity to whip out your appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Aurorus could also utilize support options such as dual screens or Thunder Wave. Calm Mind is there if Aurorus needs to boost, but it's often forced out before it can abuse the boosts. It can abuse Echoed Voice with Refrigerate to hit Dragons through their Substitutes. Finally, it can use Assault Vest to boost its already impressive Special Defense stat, but understand that Aurorus will sorely miss its Leftovers.</p>
space
[Checks and Counters]

<p>Where do we start? x4 4x weaknesses to Fighting and Steel is a huge deal, especially with priority running all over the OU metagame, especially from Scizor and Conkeldurr. It's predictable when it's going to come, but it forces Aurorus out extremely easily. It's Aurorus also weak to Ground, Rock, Water, and Grass, which are prevalent on Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Tyranitar, Excadrill, and Mega Venusaur. It doesn't resist much either, so it's hard to switch in to create momentum, which is compounded upon its weakness to all forms of entry hazards. Physical attacks from anything faster than Aurorus will wipe it out. It has plenty of coverage; (SC) the problem is that it's too slow and frail to do anything with it.</p>

1/1

Last edited:

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Should Nature Power be listed on the set instead of Tri Attack? I know Nature Power turns to Tri Attack when used but I'm pretty sure the move you're going to see on the set itself is still Nature Power.

I know this thing has like the worst defensive typing in the universe and all, but I wonder if going all-offense isn't kind of a mistake on this guy. He DOES get a reasonable support movepool, and decent Special Attack (Steel and Fighting are at least less common on special sets)… What about a set like this or something?

<p>Aurorus @ Leftovers<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD <br />
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)<br />
- Nature Power<br />
- Thunder Wave<br />
- Substitute<br />
- Encore</p>

I mean, at least it can be like an annoyer or something. Paralyzing shit lets it lock things into crap moves with Encore, and Substitute lets it (maybe, bcuz Infiltrator/sound moves) survive incoming threats long enough to paralyze/encore THEM. Could this have any merit? TBH it seems better than running Ancientpower or something for weak special Rock STAB. (why the balls doesn't this guy get Power Gem I mean honestly)

Ok I love auro but for love of god how is it OU
I said nothing. Now I wonder if anythings up for breloom

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)