Community Discussion - Stall

Hello everyone.

Stall is, without a doubt, an EXTREMELY powerful team composition, especially when people aren't prepared for it. If you aren't familiar with Stall, the goal of a Stall team is to, well, stall out the opponent by running defensive Pokemon. Sometimes you'll drop 200 points on the ladder in one sitting because of it. I'm making this thread so that people can find out what Stall is, how to play it, and how to play against it. We're starting off by having the community compile a list of viable stall Pokemon and their sets. If you saw a good stall Pokemon and it isn't on this list, be sure to post it here!

Standard Set (6tennis)
Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell / Protect

Swagger (NOVED)
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

Counter (chuckaboomboom)
Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Sesmic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic / Thunder Wave

CroCune (chuckaboomboom)
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Cotton Guard (Melon Vodka)
Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Night Shade / Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Destiny Bond

Unaware (OGBattler)
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Please give constructive comments so as to further the community's knowledge of Stall.

Happy discussing, I guess.

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, stall is pretty rough, and team matchup can be brutal if your team can't handle it. 3-mon stall cores are pretty good and it's often hard for the opposing team to have a Pokemon that can deal with all three, so switching gives you a ton of momentum and advantage (it is kind of weird to think of stall teams having momentum on you). I've found some stall teams can actually get spikes to work, which is pretty neat since it's an underused move. I think one of my favorite parts of stall is that Gyarados is actually a common staple, in fact, Impish Defensive is its most common set. That's just such a huge difference from how Gyarados is played in pretty much every other metagame and really shows how different 3v3 is.

As for shutting down stall, Specs Hydreigon is my go-to Pokemon for that, as he outspeeds the relevant threats and has enough power to take them down in a few hits. His coverage between Dark and Dragon hits most things neutrally so even if your opponent switches you'll probably get in a good hit. I haven't tried it, but I think Taunt Thundurus could work as well. I definitely think special attackers are the way to go as most stall threats are physically defensive (Gyarados, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Gliscor, Hippowdon, etc.). Mega Sableye (I still haven't bred one yet...) seems like it'd shut down stall hardcore too thanks to Magic Bounce and Calm Mind. Gotta try that as soon as I get one.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
By far the most common stall core I see at the moment is Chansey/Gliscor/Mega Slowbro. Chansey and Slowbro together are capable of walling pretty much any standard offensive opponent indefinitely, only falling to Taunters, setup attackers and powerful mixed threats that can break both. While Hydreigon is good for cracking most stall, it doesn't have a chance in hell of getting past Chansey without Life Orb Superpower, and even then Chansey can take two when one factors the drops and Eviolite. While Hula is correct in that most stall staples are physically defensive, I feel that this is because virtually no legal special attackers have a realistic chance of breaking Chansey, allowing a stall player to blanket check them all in one slot, allowing him to focus more teamslots on the more common and varied physical threats in the format.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want to especially mention how nasty Gliscor can be. For those of you who are new to Battle Spot, OHKO moves are allowed, and Gliscor fully abuses this with Gullotine! Gullotine makes Gliscor a lot harder to check, because a lot of switch-ins risk getting annihilated by it!

I've actually been considering using the old gen 4 Ubers Dragon Dance Tyranitar with Taunt specficly for stall actually (and also a mega stone since this is gen 6 lol). I tried it out a bit on PS, and Gliscor probably won't expect the Ice Punch after Taunt! It's a bit of a drastic measure, but really: Gliscor is one of those under rated threats I feel is worth preparing for!

Also of note: I see a lot of stall teams using Tyranitar. The Tyranitar tends to vary from Stealth Rock to Scarf, but the general trend I saw is that they had Pursuit to specficaly nail Mega Gengar, who can always be a problem when its running Taunt.

One more thing: Mega Gengar and Wobbuffet users, watch out for Blissey. She may not be as common as Chansey, but they usually hold Shed Shell as an anti trapping measure. Hell I've even seen them use Shadow Ball before!

Alright, so let's build a list of viable stall Pokemon and counters to them. I'll start by posting a set for Chansey, and then the next person will post a different set, and so on. I'll put all the sets on the OP so we can have a good list of stall Pokemon.

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpDef
Nature: Bold
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell

Hey, in the OP, i like how the list is set up but instead of the spoiler tag use [ hide=title here] and [ /hide](without the spaces)

And im currently on mobile but i'll post a set for chansey that i think is pretty cool once i get home :) edit:

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

I think chansey is a pretty good user of swagger for a few reasons. It obviously has great bulk that allows it to just kinda sit there and get some swaggers off. And since chansey is always used to deal with special attackers, it comes with a little less of a risk since the attack raise won't matter when used against them. This is probably the most annoying chansey i've faced, it's pretty scary.

Last edited:

chuckaboomboom

I believe I can HM02
Swagger is cool, but counter is better.

JKJK, but i have been trying out Counter Chansey:

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Sesmic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic / Thunder Wave

Counter can really surprise the opponent with a ton of damage. With full physical investment, Chansey can easily live physical attacks, including super-effective ones from the likes of Conkeldurr. Overall, a cool move to run on the pink blob.

chuckaboomboom

I believe I can HM02
Also, no stall thread would be complete without crocune. I guess I have the honours ^_^

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
-Scald
-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Simple enough, set up, rest up, and nab a few burns in the process.

Chucka Chucka BOOM BOOM!!!!!!!!!
Wall Components of a stall team: Slowbro (mega works too) + Chesnaught. Gliscor + Chansey. Porygon2+Mega-Venusaur. Umbreon+Cresselia. Skarmory + Quagsire. Blissey and Hippowdon. Mega Sableye + Heatran + Clefable+ Rhyperior. Amoonguss + Suicune. Aegislash and Mandibuzz. Gyarados+ Ferrothorn. Klefki. Zapdos + Gastrodon
Stall Support Components: Mega Gengar, Tyranitar, Gothitelle, Wobbuffet, Ditto, [insert appropriate offensive Mega/Mon based on team]

These "+" don't necessarily mean they are a core. Just easier to type. This is pretty much 100% high-level stall team Pokemon selection right here so cover these guys in detail.
The appropriate offensive Mon bracket is obviously open-ended. Depends on the team you design and matchup issues

cant say edit: chucka had this to say:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chucka Chucka BOOM BOOM!!!!!!!!!
Wall Components of a stall team: Slowbro (mega works too) + Chesnaught. Gliscor + Chansey. Porygon2+Mega-Venusaur. Umbreon+Cresselia. Skarmory + Quagsire. Blissey and Hippowdon. Mega Sableye + Heatran + Clefable+ Rhyperior. Amoonguss + Suicune. Aegislash and Mandibuzz. Gyarados+ Ferrothorn. Klefki. Zapdos + Gastrodon
Stall Support Components: Mega Gengar, Tyranitar, Gothitelle, Wobbuffet, Ditto, [insert appropriate offensive Mega/Mon based on team]

These "+" don't necessarily mean they are a core. Just easier to type. This is pretty much 100% high-level stall team Pokemon selection right here so cover these guys in detail.
The appropriate offensive Mon bracket is obviously open-ended. Depends on the team you design and matchup issues
Thanks a billion! We've already covered Chansey and Suicune. Do you have any sets that you've used/seen used with any of the Pokemon on this list?

Is possible Azumarill is a stallmon too? Toxic and perish song with its sap sipper, It laughs in front of Serperior for example. Unfortunately it misses good coverage moves. What do you think about guys?

Get ready guys, the puppet is here.

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Level: 50
Careful Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Destiny Bond​

Maybe you don't like it but let me talk about this interesting puppet after the rule of no pentagon mons. If you don't remember, in the BW time PGL giveaway a funny pokémon event for celebrate halloween. That Pokémon was Banette with Cotton Guard, nice move for it, in theory, since as a rag doll we assume this guy have cotton inside it.

But ok, stop with this useless trivia. Mega-Banette, thanks to prankster, can use well its moverpool that includes moves like Destiny Bond, Will-O-Wisp, Disable and Pain Split. Thanks to Cotton Guard Banette becomes bulky enough to resist against terrifying moves like:

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. +3 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Banette: 104-125 (60.8 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. +3 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Banette: 51-61 (29.8 - 35.6%) -- 30.2% chance to 3HKO

And even in the other side (special defense) it's good:

252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Banette: 61-73 (35.6 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Then there are Will-O-Wisp that provides more protection against physical mons, and Pain Split so Banette can remain for as long as possible. Or you can run Destiny Bond, but I see this move better only if Banette swept and at the end it dies taking the opponent with it. As damage moves we have a good (nope) choice with: Phantom Force, but it can gives a turn to the opponent, Night Shade, but meh it's not a priority, Foul Play but still it's not a priority, Shadow Sneak is weak but it can be the move that can kill the opposing mon when it is with 4% of its health.

What do you think about it, guys?
Put away Sableye, Banette is the future of the stall!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get ready guys, the puppet is here.

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Level: 50
Careful Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Destiny Bond​

Maybe you don't like it but let me talk about this interesting puppet after the rule of no pentagon mons. If you don't remember, in the BW time PGL giveaway a funny pokémon event for celebrate halloween. That Pokémon was Banette with Cotton Guard, nice move for it, in theory, since as a rag doll we assume this guy have cotton inside it.

But ok, stop with this useless trivia. Mega-Banette, thanks to prankster, can use well its moverpool that includes moves like Destiny Bond, Will-O-Wisp, Disable and Pain Split. Thanks to Cotton Guard Banette becomes bulky enough to resist against terrifying moves like:

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. +3 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Banette: 104-125 (60.8 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. +3 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Banette: 51-61 (29.8 - 35.6%) -- 30.2% chance to 3HKO

And even in the other side (special defense) it's good:

252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Banette: 61-73 (35.6 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Then there are Will-O-Wisp that provides more protection against physical mons, and Pain Split so Banette can remain for as long as possible. Or you can run Destiny Bond, but I see this move better only if Banette swept and at the end it dies taking the opponent with it. As damage moves we have a good (nope) choice with: Phantom Force, but it can gives a turn to the opponent, Night Shade, but meh it's not a priority, Foul Play but still it's not a priority, Shadow Sneak is weak but it can be the move that can kill the opposing mon when it is with 4% of its health.

What do you think about it, guys?
Put away Sableye, Banette is the future of the stall!
That's a neat set. I like the idea of Cotton Guard Banette now that the pentagon's off. Pinned to OP.

Also of note: I see a lot of stall teams using Tyranitar. The Tyranitar tends to vary from Stealth Rock to Scarf, but the general trend I saw is that they had Pursuit to specficaly nail Mega Gengar, who can always be a problem when its running Taunt.
Yeah I use a Scarf Tyranitar in my ORAS OU Stall team in my sig, its only main purpose really is too trap the popular defoggers ie latios/latias as we all know one of stalls ''win conditions'' is its hazards so keeping them on the field is a MUST.

Also I'll post the Unaware Clefable set that can be a stable member of any stall team.

Troll.jpg (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

This clefable set is like the true super tank, its really a triple threat. Checks setup'ers with ease,wish passes,and acts as a cleric to the team. Instead going full 252 def, I added 84 SpD to balance out clefables bulk, and help stop SpA Setups more reliably and also be a reliable pokemon to send out / switch in for a Keldeo which my stall team could sometimes struggle with as well as most stall teams.

Yeah I use a Scarf Tyranitar in my ORAS OU Stall team in my sig, its only main purpose really is too trap the popular defoggers ie latios/latias as we all know one of stalls ''win conditions'' is its hazards so keeping them on the field is a MUST.

Also I'll post the Unaware Clefable set that can be a stable member of any stall team.

Troll.jpg (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

This clefable set is like the true super tank, its really a triple threat. Checks setup'ers with ease,wish passes,and acts as a cleric to the team. Instead going full 252 def, I added 84 SpD to balance out clefables bulk, and help stop SpA Setups more reliably and also be a reliable pokemon to send out / switch in for a Keldeo which my stall team could sometimes struggle with as well as most stall teams.
In battle spot, defoggers arent really an issue and are basically non existent. And hazards on stall isnt a must in battle spot either imo, its nice for sure, but i see a lot of stall teams that dont even use rocks during a battle.

In battle spot, defoggers arent really an issue and are basically non existent. And hazards on stall isnt a must in battle spot either imo, its nice for sure, but i see a lot of stall teams that dont even use rocks during a battle.
Well I was referring for my stall team which is ORAS OU. and I didn't realized this was posted in ''battle spot'' and don't really got clue what it is. I'm an oldie not much up to date on all this new stuff.

Well I was referring for my stall team which is ORAS OU. and I didn't realized this was posted in ''battle spot'' and don't really got clue what it is. I'm an oldie not much up to date on all this new stuff.
On-cart 3v3 matchmaking system. A lot of it's similar to OU tho.

Maybe nice to revive this thread a bit since knowing the sets of stall mons and how they work is one of the most important ways to handle with them. Know we now some stall teams from the japanese players from the top of the worldrankings we can easily add those teams to the list.

Ill edit this post later with the sets.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Evs: ?
? Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Earthquake / Toxic
- Guillotine

With poison heal, and due to toxic orb always being poisoned, gliscor has one of the best passive recovery there is that has twice the percent of hp recovered than leftovers. This way with alternating protect and substitute it gets all his hp back after using both moves. This of course only works is the substitute is faster than the possible damaging move of gliscors opponent.

Important to note is that at a certain moment the user of gliscor will use substitute two times AFTER eachother and leave the opponent of guard when it uses nondamaging moves on the turn gliscor protects. This way its substitute will be not broken for one turn so he can spam guillotine and becomes very dangerous in ohkoing your pokemon. This however, is also a chance for you to predict that and use your damaging move also twice after eachother if you expect to make this move. Most commonly this happens the third our fourth time that substitute is used.

Ways to beat this thing:
- multihitmoves like mega heracross rock blast, or icicle spear from cloyster or mamoswine
- moves that bypass substitute like hyper voice
- fast pokemon with super effective moves like weaviles icicle crash
- ice shard priority
- less common stuff like skill swap where gliscor loses his recovery
- pokemon that are immune to toxic and ground moves like skarmory (or magnet rise klefki lol)

Last edited:
this is a Quagsire set i used in the JClassic, and i think it could work fine in any normal Bss stall team:

@Chesto Berry
Evs: 244 Hp / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Scald
- Earthquake / Toxic
- Recover / Toxic

I used this without toxic, relying on burns to stall. Rest was mainly for toxic (having a way to go back to full heal was great anyway)

Either you can go with the normal one with Lefties and toxic over rest

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)