Classic Elements

Approved by Joim and Treecko

Remember back before Gen IV when a move's type determined whether it was physical or special? This metagame, called Classic Elements, goes back to those days and reverts move categories from their current status to what they would have been in Generation III and before. The game changes in no other way; Fairy-type still exists, Steel still doesn't resist Ghost and Dark, all moves and Pokemon introduced after Generation III are usable, etc. The only thing that changes is the category (physical or special) of moves. Here are the types and the categories they fall under:

Physical:
Normal
Fighting
Flying
Ground
Rock
Bug
Ghost
Poison
Steel

Special:
Water
Grass
Fire
Ice
Electric
Psychic
Dragon
Dark
Fairy

A few things of note:
Fairy-type: This didn't exist before the physical/special split, so it's worth noting that it has a place now, although that place is fairly obvious given that Fairy being special makes more sense flavor-wise and Special now has the same number of types as physical.

Psyshock/Psystrike/Secret Sword: These work as you would expect them to, working off the Special Attack stat but dealing Physical damage. It's worth noting that Secret Sword still behaves this way, despite being a Fighting type move which are normally Physical.

Refrigerate/Pixilate: This one is interesting. Anything running these abilities makes moves that are normally (heh) Physical moves into Special moves whatever type they are made into. For instance, Pixilate Sylveon using Return would use the Special Attack stat since Return becomes a Fairy-type move.

Foul Play: Since Dark-type moves are special, Foul Play will now use the target's Special Attack Stat instead of Attack.

Defensive Stat-lowering moves: Moves that had the secondary effect of lowering one of the opponent's defensive stats have changed in that they will now lower the stat they correspond with in this metagame.

List of Defense lowering moves:
Acid
Acid Spray
Bug Buzz

Crush Claw
Earth Power
Flash Cannon
Focus Blast

Iron Tail
Rock Smash

List of Special Defense lowering moves:
Crunch
Energy Ball
Luster Purge
Psychic
Seed Flare
Shadow Ball
Bold indicates that the effect has changed. Shadow Ball continues to lower Special Defense as it did so before the split despite being a Physical move.

Ban-list: Standard OU clauses and ban-list apply.
EXCEPTIONS: Zekrom and Lucarionite are currently unbanned.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's possible to code Secret Sword such that it hits SpDef instead of Def?

Other than that, seems pretty cool.

Some notes:

Aegislash: Say goodbye to Special attacking sets! The only thing that can utilise that SpA now is Hidden Power, and you might as well run a Physical one for that.

Talonflame: Pretty much needs to go mixed now. Eh, 74 SpA is pretty meh though. I guess CB Brave Bird could still be a thing

Azumarill: rip

Hydreigon: Flash Cannon now whacks Fairies on their crap Defense, although it goes off Hydreigon's lower 105 attack, effectively meaning he has to go mixed. Still, better than nothing.

Alakazam/Gengar: ELEMENTAL PUNCHES

Here are a few more noteworthy things that I had time to think about while I was waiting for approval, but didn't put in the OP:

Physical attackers (Scizor especially) can now use certain Hidden Powers as coverage. The most noteworthy ones are Fighting and Ground.

BOTH Mega Charizards are now primarily Special Attackers, thanks to both Fire and Dragon being special types. Tough Claws would still boost Charizard X's Flare Blitz and Outrage (and all other contact moves on Tough Claws' other holders) as they still make contact.

Knock Off is now a special move. While the only notable Special attacker who gets STAB is Zoroark, many Special attackers like the aforementioned Gengar and Alakazam can use it as coverage.

Kyurem-B doesn't have any good physical moves anymore, as Fusion Bolt and Outrage are special. Poor Cube.

Last edited:
This is an amazing idea most dark types got needed to hell again (gg crawdaunt and absol gg)
Naw, you can't say nerf until you see Azumarill. Now that's a real nerf.

Kyubey is still a pretty decent special attacker though! I guess Earth Power will be decent enough coverage? :O

Is Crunch going to be changed back to dropping special defense? IIRC it was changed in Gen 4 to complement it going physical, so...

I've always wanted to play something like this. Is this already playable?

Perhaps it's possible to code Secret Sword such that it hits SpDef instead of Def?
If Secret Sword is to be adapted (and I'm not saying it has to), I'd rather do the opposite. Change it so that it is a physical attack that uses the Special Attack stat instead of the Attack stat. This is how it works in Gen V-VI after all. Besides, it would be useless to take the time to change Secret Sword in a move that Keldeo isn't going to use anyway.

Ban-list: Right now I'll just go with the standard OU banlist, unless something else seems horribly broken (or not broken) with the new mechanics.
Zekrom isn't really that much different compared to Kyurem-B now in term of "brokenness." Both have an awesome Attack stat, but can't learn pretty much any physical attack.

Is Crunch going to be changed back to dropping special defense? IIRC it was changed in Gen 4 to complement it going physical, so...
Excellent point. Here some other ones:
  • Acid: Used to lower Defense before the phy/spe split.
  • Acid Spray: Should lower Defense stat now.
  • Bug Buzz: Should lower Defense stat now.
  • Earth Power: Should lower Defense stat now.
  • Flash Cannon: Should lower Defense stat now.
  • Focus Blast: Should lower Defense stat now.
  • Razor Shell: Should lower Special Defense stat now.
Then again, Shadow Ball used to lower Special Defense even when it was a physical attack, so maybe some of these moves could remain unchanged for flavor reasons.

If Secret Sword is to be adapted (and I'm not saying it has to), I'd rather do the opposite. Change it so that it is a physical attack that uses the Special Attack stat instead of the Attack stat. This is how it works in Gen V-VI after all. Besides, it would be useless to take the time to change Secret Sword in a move that Keldeo isn't going to use anyway.
Eh, I'm pretty sure it was basically a Fighting-type version of Psyshock. Anyway, it seems more odd that it'd be the only Fighting attack to run off SpA. Anyway, Keldeo can still use Close Combat, so it's not really a big deal.

Zekrom isn't really that much different compared to Kyurem-B now in term of "brokenness." Both have an awesome Attack stat, but can't learn pretty much any physical attack.
Zekrom, like Kyurem-B, still has his STABs running off a very solid 120 SpA. 100/120/100 is pretty bulky to break too. I don't know if it'll be broken, but it still seems pretty overpowering to me. Same with Kyurem-B (120 SpA and 125/100/90 bulk). On the physical side of things, Zekrom gets Signal Beam, Focus Blast, Earth Power, Flash Cannon and Stone Edge. It's nothing big, but still something that Zekrom can make do with, especially when Fighting/Rock is good enough coverage by itself and Zekrom gets Hone Claws too.

Then again, Shadow Ball used to lower Special Defense even when it was a physical attack, so maybe some of these moves could remain unchanged for flavor reasons.
Most of these probably shouldn't be changed for flavour reasons, other than Acid and Acid Spray.

That's right forgot there weren't any decent bug moves bar Megahorn weren't in gens 1-3 along with any decent steel moves as for unbans I'd say potentially mega gengar I know about the shadow tag perish song but it lost all of its offensive capabilities not saying it has to be done just keep it in mind

I've always wanted to play something like this. Is this already playable?

I think I'm going to leave Secret Sword alone, as in just have it be the way I described it. Like TM13 said, it would be weird to have a Fighting type move work off the Special Attack stat, especially since only one Pokemon has access to it.

I have considered unbannning Zekrom, but the main thing that makes me hesitant to do so is that Zekrom's typing makes it much harder to break than Kyurem-B. Plus, he has Uber level stats. I think Zekrom will be the first "suspect test" for this metagame if people will get on board with this.

I agree with TM13; most of these, bar Acid (Spray), should be left alone. I'm trying to make as few changes as possible in regards to the actual moves themselves.

That's right forgot there weren't any decent bug moves bar Megahorn weren't in gens 1-3 along with any decent steel moves as for unbans I'd say potentially mega gengar I know about the shadow tag perish song but it lost all of its offensive capabilities not saying it has to be done just keep it in mind
Gengar hasn't gotten any less threatening: gone are Shadow Ball, Focus Miss and Sludge Wave, but in return we get Ice Punch back to complement Thunderbolt. And in addition you still have Dazzling Gleam and Energy Ball as coverage options. Also perishtrap is still a bitch.

Another change might probably be nerfing Light Ball back to only boosting SpA, but IDK how relevant is this (like, who even gives a shit about Pikachu)

Mega Gengar is staying banned. Its most broken set, Perish trap, didn't even have to run attacking moves, which means not many things change about it in this metagame. The changes to move mechanics don't change what it does at all, which was choosing what to trap and kill.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Consider unbanning mega-kangaskhan? It's now hard-walled by ghosts, because Sucker Punch and Crunch now come off of it's derp-tastic 60 special attack.
EDIT: nvm it gets shadow ball
Zekrom could also be unbanned, because it's basically kyurem-black with a few bonuses (not weak to sr or priority) and a few nerfs (worse attack stat)

Also, here are some things:

Swellow @ Flame Orb | Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Boomburst | Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Hidden Power [Ground] | Hidden Power [Fighting]

This set’s primary purpose is to tear through stuff, especially now that it has the ability to hit Steels and Rocks with super-effective Hidden Powers. Facade has more PP, but Boomburst does the same damage as a boosted Facade without the need for status, allowing it to be used from the get-go. Boomburst also has the added benefit of going through Substitute if your opponent wants to use that, but Soundproof blocks it completely (lol soundproof). Brave Bird is your obvious Flying STAB; U-turn is for switching when you need to, as well as getting off a bit of damage. HP Ground is for Heatran, which is still pretty good in this meta even with the split imo (all it’s missing out on is extra power behind Flash Cannon, but eh). HP Fighting is for everything else, and allows Swellow to hit Skarm neutrally. Remember that both of these Hidden Powers are now Physical in addition to Boomburst, allowing Swellow to abuse them.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Return | Hyper Voice | Frustration {Remember to set happiness to 1 if you’re using the latter}
- Psyshock | Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Fire Punch | Thunderbolt

Yes. I am running Return on Gardevoir. Because Pixillate converts all Normal type moves into Fairy type moves, it converts all of those to Special moves as well. Return hits a respectable 132.6 BP after Pixillate, not counting STAB. Frustration is for anti-imposter purposes just in case your opponent runs Ditto, but it hits around the same (or the same) power. Hyper Voice is slightly weaker, but goes through Substitute. Psyshock allows you to hit things like Chansey for decent damage, but Psychic is more powerful overall; pick one. Calm Mind allows you to boost your amazing special attack and decent special defense to amazing levels. Fire Punch and Tbolt are for coverage, because Shadow Ball and Focus Blast are now Physical, and Fire Punch is now Special.

Last edited:
Eh, I'm pretty sure it was basically a Fighting-type version of Psyshock. Anyway, it seems more odd that it'd be the only Fighting attack to run off SpA.
I think I'm going to leave Secret Sword alone, as in just have it be the way I described it. Like TM13 said, it would be weird to have a Fighting type move work off the Special Attack stat, especially since only one Pokemon has access to it.
I don't see what's weird about it. A physical attack using the user's SpA is nothing new. Hidden Power and Weather Ball are pre-Gen IV physical attacks that can use the user's SpA if they change to the right type. (*)
Secret Sword is a Fighting attack that uses the user's Special Attack and the target's Defense. You either don't adapt it, or adapt it so that it matches how it works in Gen V-VI.

(*) Stuff like Hidden Power (Fire), despite using the user's SpA and the target's SpD, was still considered a physical move by the game. In fact, it wasn't affected by Mirror Coat while it was affected by Counter.

Most of these probably shouldn't be changed for flavour reasons, other than Acid and Acid Spray.
I agree with TM13; most of these, bar Acid (Spray), should be left alone. I'm trying to make as few changes as possible in regards to the actual moves themselves.
Actually, I don't see the flavor reasons, except maybe for Bug Buzz.

Consider unbanning mega-kangaskhan? It's now hard-walled by ghosts, because Sucker Punch and Crunch now come off of it's derp-tastic 60 special attack.
Zekrom could also be unbanned, because it's basically kyurem-black with a few bonuses (not weak to sr or priority) and a few nerfs (worse attack stat)
Dear god, no. Crunch is meaningless: Shadow Ball still does the exact same thing. The only change Kangaskhan gets was losing Sucker Punch, but this still hits like a truck and at most your team support goes from "kill talonflame, power up punch and yolo" to "kill the dude's scarfer(s), power up punch and yolo". Heck, Kangaskhan can afford to run both Shadow Ball and Earthquake now, or even Fake Out to serve as a revenge killer.

I already mentioned my beef with Zekrom (his STABs are still running off a strong 120 SpA and he still has a workable physical movepool in the two Misses, and he can fix their accuracy with Hone Claws. Said two misses already give him Fighting+Rock coverage, which is very good for this meta. And he's still stupidly bulky.

Also, here are some things:

Swellow @ Flame Orb | Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Boomburst | Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Hidden Power [Ground] | Hidden Power [Fighting]

This set’s primary purpose is to tear through stuff, especially now that it has the ability to hit Steels and Rocks with super-effective Hidden Powers. Facade has more PP, but Boomburst does the same damage as a boosted Facade without the need for status, allowing it to be used from the get-go. Boomburst also has the added benefit of going through Substitute if your opponent wants to use that, but Soundproof blocks it completely (lol soundproof). Brave Bird is your obvious Flying STAB; U-turn is for switching when you need to, as well as getting off a bit of damage. HP Ground is for Heatran, which is still pretty good in this meta even with the split imo (all it’s missing out on is extra power behind Flash Cannon, but eh). HP Fighting is for everything else, and allows Swellow to hit Skarm neutrally. Remember that both of these Hidden Powers are now Physical in addition to Boomburst, allowing Swellow to abuse them.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Return | Hyper Voice | Frustration {Remember to set happiness to 1 if you’re using the latter}
- Psyshock | Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Fire Punch | Thunderbolt

Yes. I am running Return on Gardevoir. Because Pixillate converts all Normal type moves into Fairy type moves, it converts all of those to Special moves as well. Return hits a respectable 132.6 BP after Pixillate, not counting STAB. Frustration is for anti-imposter purposes just in case your opponent runs Ditto, but it hits around the same (or the same) power. Hyper Voice is slightly weaker, but goes through Substitute. Psyshock allows you to hit things like Chansey for decent damage, but Psychic is more powerful overall; pick one. Calm Mind allows you to boost your amazing special attack and decent special defense to amazing levels. Fire Punch and Tbolt are for coverage, because Shadow Ball and Focus Blast are now Physical, and Fire Punch is now Special.
Facade shouldn't really be considered over Boomburst: the latter goes through subs, meaning that Swellow can actually kill shit that are behind a sub. With Swellow, you probably aren't going to run out of Boomburst PP before kicking the bucket anyway.

Gardevoir is an interesting option, and Fire Punch provides her with some much-needed coverage. Her only loss was like, Focus Miss, which is pretty big but not anything crucial.

I don't see what's weird about it. A physical attack using the user's SpA is nothing new. Hidden Power and Weather Ball are pre-Gen IV physical attacks that can use the user's SpA if they change to the right type. (*)
Secret Sword is a Fighting attack that uses the user's Special Attack and the target's Defense. You either don't adapt it, or adapt it so that it matches how it works in Gen V-VI.

(*) Stuff like Hidden Power (Fire), despite using the user's SpA and the target's SpD, was still considered a physical move by the game. In fact, it wasn't affected by Mirror Coat while it was affected by Counter.
I'll give in on the HP point, though ultimately it really is up to the OP to decide on what to do with Secret Sword, on whether it should be Atk on SpD, or SpA on Def.

Actually, I don't see the flavor reasons, except maybe for Bug Buzz.
I'll concede on Earth Power.

Aside from that,
Flash Cannon: it's basically a gigantic ball of light. How does that even drop Defense?
Focus Blast: a gigantic ball of energy drops defense? Shadow Ball dropped SpDef in ADV...
Razor Shell: I suppose the whole idea of Razor Shell dropping Defense was that Razor Shell would expose a weakness in the opponent's defenses: making it drop SpDef would be really strange in this scenario.

Last edited:
Flash Cannon: it's basically a gigantic ball of light. How does that even drop Defense?
Focus Blast: a gigantic ball of energy drops defense? Shadow Ball dropped SpDef in ADV...
Razor Shell: I suppose the whole idea of Razor Shell dropping Defense was that Razor Shell would expose a weakness in the opponent's defenses: making it drop SpDef would be really strange in this scenario.
The animation of Flash Cannon in Pokémon X/Y is actually more similar to a laser.
Focus Blast is a Dragon Ball rip-off move. I don't think anyone who watched Dragon Ball has any problem with energy balls being physically devastating.
As for Razor Shell, the exposition of a weakness works either way. After all, Shell Smash does lower the user's SpD, doesn't it?

Besides, how does crunching lower one's SpD exactly?

I personally think that we should favor changing this stuff, with rare (if any) exceptions, not the other way around. Why? Because by changing it, we actually keep it the same. Razor Shell is an attack that has a pretty high chance to lower the target's relevant defensive stat, making it weaker to Razor Shell itself. Changing it so that it lowers the target's SpD now that it's a special attack, actually changes it less. It will still be an attack with a high chance to make the target weaker to the move itself. If you don't change the secondary effect, on the other hand, it becomes an attack with a largely irrilevant secondary effect.

Besides, Shadow Ball was the exception. There has never been any other attack in the history of Pokémon that lowered the "wrong" defensive stat. Again, Crunch, against all flavor-wise reasons, lowered SpD. With this in mind, I think we should keep attacks that work this way an exception.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Dear god, no. Crunch is meaningless: Shadow Ball still does the exact same thing.
Didn't know it got shadow ball. Fail on my part. Back to ubers with ye.
I already mentioned my beef with Zekrom (his STABs are still running off a strong 120 SpA and he still has a workable physical movepool in the two Misses, and he can fix their accuracy with Hone Claws. Said two misses already give him Fighting+Rock coverage, which is very good for this meta. And he's still stupidly bulky.
I see your point, but remember that Kyub does get the same physical movepool along with Hone Claws [and more attack to use them with to boot], as well as having his stabs work off of the same Special Attack. It's also pretty bulky. On the other hand, it's weak to most priority and SR. It's a hit or miss with this guy, tbh. On one hand, you have less attack (150 vs. 170), with around the same bulk (100/120/100 is around 125/100/90 if I were to guess), but on the other hand, you aren't weak to the priority and SR that plagues Kyub. I think unbanning it should be considered, but if it doesn't get unbanned I completely understand why.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Zam sits in a really odd place. On one hand, it got the Elemental Punches and Knock Off for coverage, replacing the need for Hidden Power. However, it also lost 2 huge coverage moves for it - Focus Blast and Shadow Ball. This means that its best way to hit TTar is Dazzling Gleam / Energy Ball, the former being much more useful in general. Zam would probably run something like this

Alakazam @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Fire Punch

By god knock off is special, alakazam with it is crazy I wonder who else can benefit from this... Also mega houndoom is gonna e great as it can fully pull of a set with sucker punch, nasty plot, fire blast, and hp grass

Besides, Shadow Ball was the exception. There has never been any other attack in the history of Pokémon that lowered the "wrong" defensive stat. Again, Crunch, against all flavor-wise reasons, lowered SpD. With this in mind, I think we should keep attacks that work this way an exception.
Fair enough, I guess I'll concede on this.

On to others:

Chomp/Megachomp: A decent alternative to Kyubey, and has STAB on Earthquake too. Loses out on Outrage, unfortunately, but Megachomp's SpA is still salvageable enough for it.

Landorus-I: fuk dis gaem instead of special Sheer Force Landorus-I you now have Physical Sheer Force Landorus-I... who still gets the same moves (Earth Power, Focus Miss and Sludge Wave). Also remember that Landorus-I has better Atk than SpA. You literally don't need to run mixed for U-turn anymore. The only thing you lose is HP Ice, but with HP's power nerf it isn't a very appealing option anymore.

Dragonite: His DD+Multiscale set will still be a threat, but not so much when he lost his STAB Dragon Claw. Hurricane is an acceptable substitute, but that accuracy D:

Gyarados: HP FLYING RETURNS! However, that aside, Gyarados loses his Water STAB and Mega Gyarados's STABs all go off his meh 70 SpA (look ma its shittier than talonflame's). I suppose Mold Breaker would still be appreciated just to kill Rotom, but losing STAB on HP Flying hurts.

Keldeo: lolCC

Mamoswine: His Ice STAB is now weakened, but STAB EQ still packs a punch.

Mawile: Play Rough sees a massive drop in power, making it a subpar coverage option. In addition, Mawile loses other crucial moves in Sucker Punch and the elemental fangs. Substitute + Focus Punch will probably be the norm here. It should be noted that Mawile picks up Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball and Focus Blast here.

Latis (and Psychics in general) / Tyranitar: Tyranitar's Pursuit is now weakened, making life a lot better for these guys. Except for Tyranitar's.

Medicham: Loses out on Elemental Punches and ZHB/Psycho Cut, but it gets Shadow Ball in exchange. It's probably all that he needs, anyhow.

Others aren't really that notable (the biggest one down the OU viability list would probably be Volcarona who loses Bug Buzz and Entei who loses Sacred Fire/Flare Blitz)

Alright, it's clear that there are some issues that people disagree on, and I don't want to make any decisions on these issues before consulting everyone.

Should Zekrom be unbanned?

Should moves that lower a certain defensive stat (i.e. Flash Cannon, Razor Shell) lower the stat that they correspond with now or lower the one that they did previously?

Should Secret Sword be a pure Physical move, or use the Special Attack stat and deal physical damage?

Remember, we're also just beginning to explore this metagame, and it's not even playable yet. I'm hesitant to make these decisions now until more discussion takes place, so maybe in time, we'll have a vote on these issues. Right now, just keep discussing them because there's currently no way to see what the metagame is like with or without these changes. That's all I have to say.

Also, another potentially unbroken mon: Mega Lucario. Special Sets don't have STAB anymore, and Physical sets lose Crunch and Ice Punch, while gaining Shadow Ball and Vaccum Wave. Since Special sets aren't viable because no STAB + Adaptability doesn't make sense, Mega Lucario doesn't seem so over powered anymore. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Personally I'm still not fond of Zekrom dropping, but he's really questionable afaik. It's basically a weaker but bulkier Kyurem-B. Might as well just unban and see how it goes.

I don't really have comments on the other two (I still prefer Atk to SpDef for Secret Sword, but eh).

re: megaluke: STAB CC still hits like a truck, though yeah special sets lose most of their fire power. I suppose it can also be unbanned.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Should Zekrom be unbanned?

While it doesn't have any physical STAB, it still has a decent 120 SpA and a STAB with 130 BP. Not only that, but it also has 100/120/100 bulk and, unlike Kyurem-Black, has a pretty nifty typing that's actually decent. It can easily go mixed thanks to Focus Blast and Earth Power. Honestly, I can see this go either way, but I'm leaning more towards keeping it banned, at least for now.

Should moves that lower a certain defensive stat (i.e. Flash Cannon, Razor Shell) lower the stat that they correspond with now or lower the one that they did previously?

I'm against changing these moves to be honest. In my opinion, the simpler an OM is, the better. Plus, I don't feel like this adds much to the meta.

Should Secret Sword be a pure Physical move, or use the Special Attack stat and deal physical damage?

Making it special seems like a bad idea in my opinion. Hidden Power was mention, but I don't feel it is the same thing. The reason why Counter works on Hidden Power despite type is because Hidden Power itself is a Normal-type move. The move changes type when the pokemon uses it based off its IVs. This is different from Secret Sword, which is a Fighting-type moves that doesn't change type. I would say change it to be a physical move that deals special damage, but this only affects Keldeo, so honestly I think just pure physical works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)