ORAS OU CarToonatic vs. the Showdown – Time to Rock and Roll (1st post ever)

Hello everyone, it’s me, it’s that friendly guy, it’s CarToonatic. You may not know me (cuz I’m new), but that’s OK.

Long story short:
  • I don’t like long paragraphs (for some reason every RMT has them), so you won’t see too many of them here.
  • I had to learn teambuilding and battle strats by myself, so forgive any flaws seen in replays or teambuild or whatnot.
  • All pics seen here are drawn by me.
Background info: Made a team w/ Diancie on it cuz I think it's pwetty and I wanted to make a team around it (cuz I'm a maniac for it). Was the first team I ever made – when I first came here, I made this team's 1st draft, and kept modifying until I deemed it worthy of laddering – and I had to do this all by myself – no one was willing to help me :(.

Anyways, it comes time to tell the team. It served me well even during late ORAS (aka the Dugtrio infestation), as I possess the ability to heavily punish any Dugtrio Stall that dares faces me, and Dugtrio on offensive teams is much easier to handle (due to the fact I have rocks on my side, disabling any Focus Sash and leaving it that much more vulnerable).

Honestly, if you use a Dugtrio, fuck you.

I got to around 1640 using this team – I would've gone higher, but then I got busy and I couldn't ladder any higher.

Ignore the Win/Loss ratio – that was me mucking about w/ stuff like Spex Altaria
I'm trying to end ORAS with this RMT being the one to close it out (and it features the best Mega ever, at least in terms of appearance). If I fail, then oh well. At least I tried.

So I guess it's time to rock n' roll. Ha, get it? Rock? It has Diancie on it? No? Ok, I'll stop.

El equipo

Rock Candy (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Whyzithere?
  • My favowite mon cuz it's pwetty, and it's underrated – haven't met anyone who shares my opinion, both on this forum and on Showdown
  • STAB moves being pretty hard to switch into.
  • Overwhelm mutual checks w/ Latios (i.e. Jirachi, Ferrothorn, Heatran) + EP because I hate losing Speed ties
  • Baits Dugtrio and weakens it (either by attack or by rox – Diancie survives one EQ from full), rendering it vulnerable to Pursuit and allowing Heatran more freedom in doing as it pleases.
  • Baits in Chansey and Clefable to lend Latios a hand.
  • Max Atk used to bait in foes such as Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur w/o Def investment, Clefable, and SpD Skarmory. Plus, not much is lost in neglecting SpA invest
Whaddusitdo?
  • Clobber foe w/ STAB moves
  • Utilize Magic Bounce whenever it can – it's a great ability, stopping stuff like Sticky Web, T-wave, Will-O-Wisp, Glare, etc. Most offensive mons are screwed over by this, but not Diancie
  • Soft-check various enemies (i.e. Weavile, Talonflame, Tornadus-T), who like to harass the rest of the team
Other
  • Other people hate it: [19:26:48] Best teambuilder: Diance is annyoing
  • Checks Dark-types for Latios, who in turn baits and weakens mons like Mega Scizor, Mega Metagross, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Scarf Keldeo

Blue Streak (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power Fire
- Roost
- Defog

Whyzithere?
  • Another of my favorite mons due to its cuteness/coolness and being underrated (no one else likes the Lati's on Smogon – in fact, it's usually quite the opposite)
  • STAB moves being hard to switch into. True, you may have your Steel-types and Fairy-types, but what happens if they are eliminated? Say, they have been lured by a particular ally?
  • Wide coverage makes it hard to predict (at least in theory)
  • I needed Roost as I relied on Latios to check multiple enemies such as Keldeo and Mega Manectric, all at the same time. Plus I need to heal off indirect damage taken from switching in.
Whaddusitdo?
  • Smashes walls
  • Provides defensive utility in Defogging (conserving Diancie’s and Weavile’s HP, aids in Tangrowth's Regenerator) + checking Electrics who harass the rest of the team
  • Here, I chose HP Fire to lure in Ferrothorn and Jirachi, and weaken them for Manaphy and Diancie respectively. Also to lure in Scizor and Metagross to give Diancie an easier time. I already have Heatran, so HP Fire is not needed per se, but I went with it anyway (I would switch it w/ Psyshock on occasion), because no Steel-type in their right mind would stay in on Heatran unless Heatran was sure to go down.
Other
  • 32 HP grants slightly better roles on enemy’s HP Ice (nothing too noteworthy) and hits a Life Orb number
  • Any option works here – I designed the team that way. Psyshock, Psychic, Luster Purge, Thunderbolt, Surf, you name it, all can replace HP Fire, Roost, or Defog. Modify Latios as you please.

H2OP (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psychic
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow

Whyzithere?
  • Yet another of my favorite mons due to its cuteness and underratedness
  • Acts as a Stallbreaker in tandem with Heatran – depending on build, one may not be enough, plus has good defensive synergy w/ Tangrowth and Heatran
  • Good bulk and type allows it to chew on a few hits aimed at its allies – namely chipping away at Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross, two top-tier foes who may try to prey on my team
  • Anything slower will be taking a huge pounding, and Manaphy is durable enough to survive random attacks such as Thunderbolts from Mega Manectric (assuming favorable rolls)
  • Heavily punished all Dugtrio stall I faced so far (Dugtrio on offense was much easier to handle because rox would actually stay up and break Sashes). If those sons of bitches want to show their face, they're gonna have to pay a heavy price for it.
Whaddusitdo?
  • Smashes walls
  • Provides defensive utility in type and bulk (soft-checks enemies such as Weavile and Mega Metagross/Scizor)
Other
  • AV Tangrowth is a nuisance.

Hellraiser (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Whyzithere?
  • Check to Mega Scizor – fast variant needed to handle Quickzor, which is equally as common as Bulkzor
  • Acts as a Stalbreaker in tandem with Manaphy – in particular, it harasses Chansey, Assault Vest Tangrowth, and Unaware Clefable in preparation for a Manaphy assault (does stuff like poison and force them to take rocks damage, chip them down, all that stuff)
  • Lati switchin – it is crucial to immediately eliminate any Latios with Surf or Earthquake
  • Wears down walls and switch-ins such as Keldeo and Volcanion
Whaddusitdo?
  • Lures in bulky Water-types and other mons, then Toxics or Taunts
  • Sets up Stealth Rocks
  • Stallbreaks
Other
  • Dugtrio is a dick.
  • Lava Plume is workable if you don't mind giving up the ability to trap targets and weaken them slowly

Claws4Alarm (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Whyzithere?
  • Necessary to have a fastmon to actually outspeed mons above base 110
  • Dark- and Ice-types are very good offensively
  • Pursuit to prevent enemy Starmie from troubling me (and regrettably, enemy Latios must die too). Pursuit is broken, but I needed the most powerful weaponry I could afford
  • DPS
  • Cute
Whaddusitdo?
  • Knock Off targets repeatedly; hinders foes such as Keldeo, Azumarill, and Steel-types by removing their item
  • Priority Ice Shard to eliminate threats like Thundurus and Mega Sceptile
  • Pursuits Dugtrio (provided it has taken damage from rox or from Diancie) so that it never harasses me again
  • DPS
Other
  • Dugtrio doesn’t like getting Pursuitted

Jumbleweed (Tangrowth) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sleep Powder

Note: I recommend switching this with Landorus-T

Whyzithere?
  • Blanket checks mulitple threatening mons – such as Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny, and Excadrill – all at once without fear of being overwhelmed, for its Regenerator ability minimizes the impact of overwhelming it
  • Puts a mon to sleep – it is good if a mon such as Mega Scizor is incapacitated.
  • Knocking Off Leftovers from mons like Bronzong, Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Jirachi are also important to facilitate sweeps
  • Pivot – despite lacking a move such as U-turn or Baton Pass, double switches are usually sufficient (until the opponent starts to catch on)
Whaddusitdo?
  • Be fat – wear down the mons that threaten me
  • Pivot – Regenerator will keep it healthy
  • Stand up to Sand Offense and Rotom-W
Other
  • Pairs well w/ Diancie – Diancie handles Fires- and Flyers while Tangrowth handles Ground-types and other mons that outrun Diancie
  • I looked to replace the moves with other stuff like Stun Spore, but it rarely came in handy. So I'm sticking with this for the time being
Other options
  • Heatran →
    Jirachi – more stable S/I into stuff, also pivots. Downside is lesser Stallbreaking ability and mandates HP Fire on Latios/Diancie (I already have that)
  • Landoge-T
    Tangrowth - you should probably do this. After Landoge Intimidates Mega Lopunny or Metagross, Manaphy can step in and take their attacks much easier than normal. Be wary of an elevated Bisharp weakness and a slightly harder time vs. Rain
  • Keldoge
    Manaphy – provides Dark- and Mega Scizor check. Downside is lesser Stallbreaking ability.
I put these here because the team I listed is the one I used to ladder, not necessarily the best one. Just putting this out there.

Weaknesses

It is impossible to prepare for each threat – the metagame is far too wide for that. As such, I tried to keep the threatlist restricted to mons which were uncommon (to maximise success when laddering).f
  • Mega Beedrill – outruns everyone, needs prior damage to eliminate w/ Ice Shard. Landorus-T patches this problem.
  • Mega Alakazam – outruns everyone, needs prior damage to eliminate w/ Ice Shard. Jirachi patches this problem
  • Mega Sceptile – outruns everyone. Jirachi patches this problem, and Weavile revenges with Ice Shard.
  • Enemy Mega Diancie – no safe switch-ins. Needs to be worn-down to be put in range of stuff like Scald or Icicle Crash. Also, I haven't seen any ever since Dugtrio came into town, so that's a plus.
  • Mega Medicham – has power, but power is an empty threat if it can't even hit you (whether it's outsped or whether it misses). Nonetheless, Bullet Punch is provocative – in the event that it has Bullet Punch, it is needed to maintain Latios' health and to deny it free switch-ins (neither of which are too difficult). Tangrowth also absorbs a single High Jump Kick or Ice Punch and can retaliate.
  • Suicune – different variants mandate different answers. Roar is probably the most irritating, but making it sleep makes it easier to handle. All other variants are checked by Manaphy. Knocking Off its Leftovers also lends a big hand.
  • Dugtrio – I prepared special surprises for it, but if you muck up the surprises (or if the bad guy makes doubles – a common trait among Dugtrio users) then it's harder to handle. Thankfully, all that is needed is the slightest chip damage – be it from rox, hail, or from an attack – in order to become Pursuittable, so it's not too easy to screw up. Also, usually Manaphy can 6-0 Stall that features Dugtrio, so you can punish those sons of bitches for using this scum (so it doesn't matter whether or not you screw up).
  • Ice-types – No safe switch-ins. In the case of Weavile, it is needed to keep Manaphy/Diancie/Heatran in good health, to kill it slowly with Stealth Rock/Life Orb recoil, and deny it free switches. Note Tangrowth can chew on a single Icicle Crash.
  • Speed-pass – don't let any mons in for free. EVER. Get up rocks. It's also uncommon nowadays. Really, it comes down to matchup – who are Scolipede's teammates? Depending on teammates, it's a win/loss for you
Importable
Rock Candy (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Blue Streak (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog
- Roost

H2Ownage (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow

Hellraiser (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Claws4Alarm (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Jumbleweed (Tangrowth) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder
Replays Conclusion
Farewell ORAS. Though I came to you during the ending of ORAS, I learned quickly and stand ready for Sun and Moon. You gave us Mega Evolutions (including the best Mega ever) and new ways to battle, and your legacy will never be forgotten.

As for the team, I'm mostly looking to optimize movesets, but I'm open to people swapping mons and stuff.

Last edited:
Ok, well built team, but I have a few minor changes. I love Diancie, as it has one of the best abilities ever, however, I see no reason to be running earth power as max atk investment 2HKOs Heatran anyhow. Run max SpA on Latios since roost negates the need for a Life Orb Number, and you can now afford different coverage so you can win speed ties now that Diancie is running HP fire (Psychic, Surf, Thunderbolt). Also, run Lava Plume on Heatran because of its reliable accuracy, greater PP, and the almighty burn. Finally, change Manaphy's psychic to Shadowball, to avoid being forced out by Slowbro and/or Shedninja.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)