CaP26 Prevo - Part 2 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I don't really see much of a reason to change the abilities. Generally speaking, primary abilities and hidden abilities don't change that often when evolving, while secondary abilities change much more often. Thus, I'm going to support keeping Levitate and Justified and leaving the potential to change Bulletproof open. Now, I know there are exceptions to every rule, but having the prevo's abilities be the same doesn't somehow make it less interesting. In fact, we tend to want CAP Prevos to "break the mold" every process and have ability changes to give them additional flavor, but if we do that every process, I think we start to look a little sloppy. In fact, every prevo, aside from the CAP25 prevos, Privatyke, Snugglow, and Voodoll have ability changes. I actually don't have the time to calculate the actual percentage of Pokemon families that change abilities upon evolving, but I doubt that as high as 68% of all Pokemon families (13 / 19, the fraction of prevos that have an ability change) have an ability change (I can check this at a later point though!).
Honestly, this is 100% correct. Very few real pokemon change abilities quite as often as CaPs do. It's been a bug bear of mine for a long time.

Just keep the damn abilities
Unfortunately there have been a few decent-ish suggestions. A few have been mentioned more than twice in the thread, those will likely be my slate. General consensus appears that we want to keep the original two abilities the same and solely change the HA. I really like the comparison to Bronzor and Bronzong too.

Slate will be the the Hidden Ability

Inner Focus
Rattled
Steadfast
Analytic
Justified (Original Ability)

Also, huge apologies for the delay in getting this sorted. I am now back to 100% and things will move fairly swiftly now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)