CAP Updates: Kitsunoh Discussion (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A set like that is crying out for Pursuit. Is there a reason why Pursuit wasn't included on Kit in the first place? It seems like the perfect mon to have it.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can safely say Trick-Or-Treat is banned. As if the Omni-Boost Z-Effect were not enough, ToT makes anything Kitsunoh targets with it weak to ShadowStrike (barring what few Normal and Dark types there are in CAP outside Colossoil and MegaBurd.)

Name: Wispy Kit 3.0
Move 1: Slack Off
Move 2: Shadow Strike
Move 3: Will-O-Wisp / Defog
Move 4: Defog / U-Turn / Knock Off
Ability: (Bulletproof) / Frisk
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Nature: Careful
  • Slack Off is a reliable way to recover and to fully exploit Kitsunoh defensive abilities granted by his typing. Wish is maybe more flavorful and can keep Kitsunoh as a pivot.
  • Shadow Strike is the mandatory Kitsunoh STAB Move, the Defense drop allows him to win most PP war.
  • Will-O-Wisp is extremly helpful to punish switch in and to deal more easily with Physical threats, while Defog allows to remove Hazards if your team needs this support.
  • U-Turn can be used to scout, as well as abuse predicted switches, and to escape if you're afraid of the opposing Colossoil. Knock Off removes items like Life Orb, Choices and Leftovers to help you.
  • Leftovers is self explanatory.
  • Bulletproof, if it becomes the chosen ability, allows you to wall Gengar and prevents from being lured by Shadow Ball from Lele, Alakazam and the incoming Mega-Gardevoir.
  • My repart is probably not the best, but you cannot be 3HKOed by Modest LO Tomohawk's Hurricane with it, in case he confused you (even though the confusion's damage can mitigate this), and your are still able to handle things like Crucibelle and Medicham on the physical side with these Evs.
Here are some calcs :
252+ SpA Life Orb Tomohawk Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 92+ SpD Kitsunoh: 116-136 (31.8 - 37.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Crucibelle-Mega Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 164 Def Kitsunoh: 120-142 (32.9 - 39%) -- 12.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 164 Def Kitsunoh: 114-135 (31.3 - 37%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magearna Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 92+ SpD Kitsunoh: 105-125 (28.8 - 34.3%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 92+ SpD Kitsunoh in Psychic Terrain: 109-129 (29.9 - 35.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
136+ Atk Heracross-Mega Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 164 Def Kitsunoh: 90-105 (24.7 - 28.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 92+ SpD Kitsunoh: 169-200 (46.4 - 54.9%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I like Transform, Hone Claws and Play Rough too.

Name: Scorpion
Move 1: Pursuit
Move 2: Play Rough
Move 3: Shadow Strike / Meteor Mash
Move 4: Slack Off / Will-O-Wisp / U-Turn
Ability: Frisk / Limber / (HA)
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 248 Atk / 252 Spe / 8 SpD
Jolly Nature

This set takes advantage of a move I have not seen brought up in a moveset, Pursuit. It allows you to scout out if your foe is switching and punishes them if they are. Play Rough is added for extra coverage, which is something that Kit needs imo. The third slot is for a STAB of your choice, and the final slot is filler. Slack Off gives you a reliable form of recovery and helps with Life Orb damage. Will-O-Wisp can be run instead if you want to cripple physical attackers on the switch in case you do predict wrong, and U-Turn lets you pivot out.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Slack Off and Recover variants worry me quite a bit, just on the basis they promote longevity rather than scouting. I want to say I like Moonlight more as a balanced option with lower PP but I'd really rather see justification for why Kit needs 50% recovery moves in the first place rather than haggling over which oned are balanced.

I suggested Slack Off to improve the efficacity of Wispy Kit, since I don't think that this variant was meant to scout, a task which can be fulfilled by the use of move like Transform or Torment, Disable... Nonetheless, I don't see any problem with the add of Moonlight instead of a more reliable recovery, it should fit on a minor update and will still allow Kitsunoh to perform better as a defensive oriented Mon, Moonlight could be used on more offensive Sets as well, I think that's it increases his viability slightly, and the Choice Scarf doesn't benefit from it by the way.

Name: Shadow Fox (Alternate of Deck Knight's proposal)
Move 1: Transform
Move 3: U-Turn
Move 4: Memento/Pain Split/Destiny Bond/Yawn/Defog
Ability: (pending)
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty

So I saw Deck Knight's concept, and I really liked it. I think Transform could let it do a great job of being a scout and a revenge killer, which are two jobs that I think Kitsunoh would like to do effectively. I decided to play a Ditto version here with Choice Scarf. It lets Kitsunoh play both the roles at once. It can use Transform and U-Turn to scout, while being able to revenge kill both with scarfed Shadow Strike and Transform.

Transform has obvious reasons for being here. Shadow Striker provides a STAB move with great neutral coverage for cleaning up weak threats. U-Turn provides pivoting, easing prediction with the Choice Scarf. The last moveslot falls to utility of the person's choice. Memento is a great way to let Kitsunoh suicide if it's at low health, giving an opportunity for a teammate to set up afterwards. Pain Split can get some chip on the enemy while healing up Kitsunoh in a pinch, but I honestly don't think it's the best of these five options. Destiny Bond and Yawn have a similar purpose: stop a setup sweeper in a pinch. Scarf 110 speed can outspeed most Pokemon at +1, such as Volcarona, letting Kitsunoh easily use Destiny Bond to end them right then and there, or Yawn to cause sleep. Prediction would be difficult for Destiny Bond because if the enemy anticipates it, they can easily continue to boost or heal instead of attacking. Yawn doesn't kill, but is easier to use. Defog is for a last ditch effort to get hazards off the field, or if you just get a free turn.

UPDATE: Ah, didn't realize that was how the mechanic worked, bummer. Thanks for letting me know LoL. So scratch out this concept.

Last edited:

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Name: Shadow Fox (Alternate of Deck Knight's proposal)
Move 1: Transform
Move 3: U-Turn
Move 4: Memento/Pain Split/Destiny Bond/Yawn/Defog
Ability: (pending)
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty

So I saw Deck Knight's concept, and I really liked it. I think Transform could let it do a great job of being a scout and a revenge killer, which are two jobs that I think Kitsunoh would like to do effectively. I decided to play a Ditto version here with Choice Scarf. It lets Kitsunoh play both the roles at once. It can use Transform and U-Turn to scout, while being able to revenge kill both with scarfed Shadow Strike and Transform.

Transform has obvious reasons for being here. Shadow Striker provides a STAB move with great neutral coverage for cleaning up weak threats. U-Turn provides pivoting, easing prediction with the Choice Scarf. The last moveslot falls to utility of the person's choice. Memento is a great way to let Kitsunoh suicide if it's at low health, giving an opportunity for a teammate to set up afterwards. Pain Split can get some chip on the enemy while healing up Kitsunoh in a pinch, but I honestly don't think it's the best of these five options. Destiny Bond and Yawn have a similar purpose: stop a setup sweeper in a pinch. Scarf 110 speed can outspeed most Pokemon at +1, such as Volcarona, letting Kitsunoh easily use Destiny Bond to end them right then and there, or Yawn to cause sleep. Prediction would be difficult for Destiny Bond because if the enemy anticipates it, they can easily continue to boost or heal instead of attacking. Yawn doesn't kill, but is easier to use. Defog is for a last ditch effort to get hazards off the field, or if you just get a free turn.
A Scarf transform set is actually not possible, as you would be locking yourself into Transform, which doesn't reset after the transformation. And since Transform is no longer there, you would cause yourself to Struggle. Ditto works with Scarf because Imposter activates before you have to choose a move. Just a weird thing in the coding, but a Choice Scarf and Transform just do not mix.

Ok well z trick or treat failed.

Name: suicide lead/ pesky endeavorer
Move 1: Endeavor
Move 2: Taunt
Move 3: Shadow Sneak
Move 4: Tailwind/Meteor Mash/destiny bond
Abilty: frisk/(whatever new ability is here)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly

The set is an anti lead basically. Taunt that lead, endeavor around then sneak it to death. Tailwind can be used against faster threats and let it use endeavor once it gets to sash level. Destiny bond and meteor mash can be options if tailwind gets rejected.

Deck Knight

Iron Fist won the ability poll so if you make a set with a relevant move, please provide calculations. Thanks!

Well, since we have a new ability, I might as well get some obvious things out of the way.

Set Name: Force of Nature
Item: Choice Band/Steelium Z
Move 1: Thunder Punch/U-Turn
Move 2: Ice Punch
Move 3: Fire Punch/Meteor Mash
Move 4: Bullet Punch/Meteor Mash/Shadow Strike

Iron Fist Pokemon have a tendency to get a lot of punching moves, and almost always get all of the elemental punches. The exceptions to this are Ledian, Infernape, and Crabominable, as they are types that make certain punches a bit odd (Infernape can't get Ice Punch, Ledian can't get Fire Punch, Crab can't get Fire Punch or Thunder Punch but may get Thunder Punch later via tutors). Kitsunoh can already use ghostly fire via Will-o-Wisp, so it makes sense flavour wise. Most notably, it allows the mon to fully defeat Ferrothorn and Kartana, as well as KO Scizors and Mega Scizors. And while it might seem like beating these Pokemon is a bad idea, don't forget that none of them like being in against Kit in the first place because of Will-o-Wisp, and Fire Punch is more niche than that. Here are the calcs:

252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Kitsunoh Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 300-356 (85.2 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Weaken it a bit, and Ferrothorn is handily dealt with.

252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Kitsunoh Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 396-468 (152.8 - 180.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Outspeeds non-scarf Kartana and KOs.

252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Kitsunoh Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scizor: 360-428 (104.6 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Will-o-Wisp already hurt Scizor, but this will hurt more.

It does allow Kit to handle Forretress better regardless of the set it's on, but Forretress is rarely seen in the first place and Kit has Defog/Wisp, so more scoutful sets could already beat it 1v1.

Bullet Punch is another honourable mention, as it is found on about half of the current fully evolved Iron Fist mons. Heck, Ledian gets this move, if anything should get it it should be Kitsunoh. Mostly for picking things off, Meteor Mash is the better option in most cases, but having it there is still reasonable in my opinion. Notably, it helps against Stratagem:

252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Kitsunoh Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Stratagem: 288-338 (89.7 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

And it helps to pick off +1 Coil Crucibelle:

252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Kitsunoh Bullet Punch vs. +1 4 HP / 0 Def Crucibelle-Mega: 170-204 (48 - 57.6%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO

But doesn't really do much other than that, and despite being a priority attack is usually outclassed by Meteor Mash. I feel these moves would be niche enough to elicit being put on Kitsunoh. And if they're ultimately rejected, at least I got them out of the way.

Deck Knight

I'm going to give a hard no on Fire Coverage. We wouldn't be discussing it had Iron Fist not won, and All-Out-Attacker is not a role we should be encouraging for Kitsunoh.

To give this some structure, I'd like to point out Kitsunoh already has Superpower and that Hammer Arm would have equivalent power but lower a different stat and not be quite so crippling to Kitsunoh. I would also like to see some discussion of Bullet Punch, because boosted priority (more than Shadow Sneak, anyway) has significant implications for Kitsunoh competitively.

Please focus your discussion around these questions:

How much has Kitsunoh's role changed from scout to other roles?
Is revenge killing a part of Kitsunoh's identity, or just something it does as a function of its speed tier and general ability to switch in on resisted hits?

This also applies for other moves brought up. What is the justification for reliable or semi-reliable healing on Kitsunoh in performing its role, for example.

I'd like to get about two days of discussion max and then start the wind-down clock on Wednesday so we can complete Kitsunoh this week.

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I'm going to give a hard no on Fire Coverage. We wouldn't be discussing it had Iron Fist not won, and All-Out-Attacker is not a role we should be encouraging for Kitsunoh.

To give this some structure, I'd like to point out Kitsunoh already has Superpower and that Hammer Arm would have equivalent power but lower a different stat and not be quite so crippling to Kitsunoh. I would also like to see some discussion of Bullet Punch, because priority has significant implications for Kitsunoh competitively.

Please focus your discussion around these questions:

Is revenge killing a part of Kitsunoh's identity, or just something it does as a function of its speed tier and general ability to switch in on resisted hits?

This also applies for other moves brought up. What is the justification for reliable or semi-reliable healing on Kitsunoh in performing its role, for example.

I'd like to get about two days of discussion max and then start the wind-down clock on Wednesday so we can complete Kitsunoh this week.

Kitsunoh most notably can now run Defog with pretty good success. It's not a horrifically bad Pokemon, but, again, time has worn down Kitsunoh's effectiveness as a Pokemon, which is why Iron Fist is a good choice to make its Attack stat that was decent at the time of its creation decent once more. Kitsunoh is a pivot with Defog now, but its lack of recovery means you have to play to its resistances and not let it get worn down too easily. Because of these, while a utility defogger is still good, an offensive Defog set should be a good set.

Kit's Choice Scarf set was weak at Base 103 Attack, and unlike Victini, who has the massive base power of V-Create and Bolt Strike to back up its rather average Attack stat, or Jirachi, who has the Serene Grace Iron Head cheese factory, Kitsunoh has to rely on Meteor Mash boosts or Shadow Strike defense drops to sweep, but to revenge kill, Iron Fist actually gives Kitsunoh enough power to nab a few KOes with one of the three appropriately boosted moves or Shadow Strike's nice coverage.

Bullet Punch is a pretty cool option, allowing Kitsunoh to run Shadow Strike / priority without having to run Shadow Sneak. I still like the aforementioned Play Rough. I'm not sure if Slack Off would really be much good to begin with. Notably, it now outstalls Defensive Tomohawk because it can barely touch it with Air Slash. On something that's as hit-and-run as Kitsunoh, even with its utility set, Slack Off just seems like the wrong way to go. Drain Punch would be a better way to go, but I don't think loading Kit with every Iron Fist-boosted move is all that great of an idea either. I share this opinion regarding Hammer Arm especially. I know Superpower's drops suck, but what does it not do that Hammer Arm can do better?

Kitsunoh @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Strike
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
- U-turn / Ice Punch

252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Kitsunoh Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Syclant: 234-276 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Kitsunoh Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kerfluffle: 198-237 (64 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Kitsunoh Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crucibelle-Mega: 221-265 (62.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Kitsunoh Shadow Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 165-196 (58.7 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Kitsunoh Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 99-118 (35.2 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

(with Leftovers)
252 Atk Kitsunoh Shadow Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 127-151 (45.1 - 53.7%) -- 36.3% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Iron Fist Kitsunoh Bullet Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 115-136 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Bullet Punch would be a decently powerful revenge killing option, and coupled with Shadow Strike's defense drop you can scare out faster Pokemon like Tapu Koko that try to switch in.
Kitsunoh @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Strike
- Ice Punch
- Meteor Mash

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think it'd be better to avoid Drain Punch even though I just mentioned it since it couples rather well with Shadow Strike and get the Iron Fist boost. It'd at least function better on Kitsunoh than Slack Off.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Scouting still exists as a sub-role, but with team preview, trading a Pokemon for information is usually a bad trade unless the scout also plays an important team role; the CAP metagame has so many specific team-building needs (Volkraken counter, Zygarde check or two, Colossoil check, hazard control to not lose to Sticky Web...) that there are really high standards for a Pokemon that doesn't meet these specific goals. Kitsunoh does have very desirable qualities by nature of its typing, switching into Crucibelle(-Mega), Medicham-Mega, and Tapu Lele's STABs (not so much Shadow Ball or HP Fire). To do these well, it must invest in bulk, which means cutting either attack, speed, or a combination of the two. Defog does help a lot in terms of giving Kitsunoh a clear team role to distinguish it from other bulky Steels. Some form of recovery, even if it wasn't what we normally call "reliable" recovery, would be appreciated a ton. Perhaps Wish, which is more team-friendly than Recover, and encourages Protect?

Name: Wishunoh
Kitsunoh @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist/Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash/Shadow Strike
- Defog
- Wish
- Protect

Kitsunoh's best possible set for taking on Crucibelle, Mega Medicham and Tapu Lele; Wish provides team support. Meteor Mash is better (especially with Iron Fist) for taking on Crucibelle and Tapu Lele while Shadow Strike is more useful for overall coverage. Meteor Mash protects Kit against Pursuit trapping from Tyranitar and Colossoil, which is nice. Protect is good for checking to see if Tapu Lele can switch its moves, and generally provides a little scouting value.

If "revenge killing" means "using a Choice Scarf", Kitsunoh isn't great at it. I normally want that team slot to cover Cawmodore, and Kitsunoh has no strong way to kill Cawmodore. In general, Kitsunoh lacks front-end power, so it pales in comparison to high-class revenge killers like Volkraken or Greninja. With a boosting item, Kitsunoh can revenge kill Mega Medicham, which is nice, but generally Kitsunoh is too easily walled by bulky things like Pyroak, Celesteela and Tomohawk to revenge kill effectively.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
I can get behind Wish. While it's kinda stally, you have to be pretty tactical with it, and encouraging Protect on a scout Pokemon is a win in my book. Kitsunoh's lowish 80 Base HP means it won't be healing up its teammates HP 100% like Chansey's, but it's still useful.

Sorry for dying on you guys (again) this discussion will remain open until this Thursday.

When it comes to new moves quite a few moves have been suggested but for now, I'm going to focus on one, that move being Transform simply put this is adding for the sake of adding, it does help Kitsunoh scout but this is taking it to a new extreme, it will most likely completely change the way Kitsunoh plays, which is not needed as Kitsunoh is already a viable Pokemon, this is a Minor Update after all, not to mention the fact that after all the generations it has remained a signature move belonging to Ditto a Pokemon that can change shape and Mew the ancestor of all Pokemon.

I'm also going to say no to all offensive Fighting Type moves 1. Kitsunoh has doesn't need any more fighting moves 2. Kitsunoh should not be pressuring other steel types more than it already does.

Blacklist: Transform, Fighting Coverage, Fire Coverage

Name: Scorpion 2.0
Move 1: Pursuit
Move 3: Meteor Mash / Shadow Strike
Move 4: U-Turn / Ice Punch / Defog
EVs: 244 Atk / 248 Spe / 8 SpD / 8 Def
Jolly Nature

This is an improved version of my set from earlier. Pursuit is perfect for a scouting set, as it scouts out whether the foe was switching or not. If the foe is switching, it likely means they can't touch you for anything good. If they stay in, you have to U-Turn out or wind up dead. Play Rough is added to handle Dark types where it didn't have any way to deal with them before. It does not change matchups against Steel-types, as it is resisted. As such, I think it's fine. Meteor Mash is good as it is boosted by Iron Fist. U-Turn is to pivot, Ice Punch is for Lando-T and Zygarde, and Defog is for utility.

Last edited by a moderator:

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Name: Scorpion 2.0
Move 1: Persuit
Move 3: Meteor Mash / Shadow Strike
Move 4: U-Turn / Ice Punch / Defog
EVs: 244 Atk / 248 Spe / 8 SpD / 8 Def
Jolly Nature

This is an improved version of my set from earlier. Persuit is perfect for a scouting set, as it scouts out whether the foe was switching or not. If the foe is switching, it likely means they can't touch you for anything good. If they stay in, you have to U-Turn out or wind up dead. Play Rough is added to handle Dark types where it didn't have any way to deal with them before. It does not change matchups against Steel-types, as it is resisted. As such, I think it's fine. Meteor Mash is good as it is boosted by Iron Fist. U-Turn is to pivot, Ice Punch is for Lando-T and Zygarde, and Defog is for utility.
Kitsunoh is a pretty terrible trapper with Pursuit, unfortunately. Because it has to decide between bulk and its offenses when it comes to EV investment, it either a) doesn't do enough damage to make Pursuit worth it, or b) doesn't survive attacks it needs to:

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 8 SpD Kitsunoh in Psychic Terrain: 132-156 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO
244 Atk Life Orb Kitsunoh Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 61-73 (21.7 - 25.9%) -- 2.2% chance to 4HKO

Using your spread, Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, a perfect candidate to trap using Pursuit, can basically 2HKO with Psychic. If it doesn't finish you off, you die to Life Orb recoil or are left with like, 2% health. This means if you switch into Psychic, you basically lose. Even if you do pull of the Pursuit, you're doing half max, which is decent, but was it worth killing your Kitsunoh in the process?

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kitsunoh in Psychic Terrain: 133-157 (36.5 - 43.1%) -- 98.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Kitsunoh Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 38-45 (13.5 - 16%) -- possible 7HKO

If you dump all of the Attack investment into HP to tank the Psychic, Pursuit does next to nothing.
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kitsunoh: 262-310 (71.9 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Kitsunoh Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 84-100 (33.4 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kitsunoh: 262-310 (87 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
244 Atk Life Orb Kitsunoh Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 135-161 (53.7 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'm not sure if you win either way here. You more than likely die to Shadow Ball before you use Pursuit, and Psychic on the switch-in will knock you down enough to KO range.
Other than these two targets, there aren't many other examples I can give where Pursuit looks somewhat decent...Mollux is Pursuit bait only because TTar and Colo force it out. Basically, Kitsunoh's stat spread and limited EV investment causes it to use Pursuit very inefficiently, as it cannot switch into the threats it wants to trap and not die in the process. I'd rather hit stuff with Shadow Strike and get those Defense drops, rather than hit the target leaving the field, then follow up with U-turn or (shameless plug) Bullet Punch.

Deck Knight

I've talked to KrazyCake and we've come to the decision Bullet Punch and Wish are modest competitive additions suitable for a competitive update, Hone Claws is allowed but not mandatory on submissions, and we're polling Play Rough presently.

Kitsunoh's competitive update has been completed. In a brief summary, Iron Fist won the ability polls solidifying it a spot as Kitsunohs new hidden ability, in terms of new competitive moves for Kitsunoh, Bullet Punch, Hone Claws and Wish were let through while Play Rough was sent to a poll the outcome was it winning by an overwhelming majority. We've hit a few bumps along the way but I'm quite happy with the result.

This following discussion will be for flavorful moves only. If the moves have any kind of competitive relevance, there'll be a very small chance of them being considered. New competitive moves for Kitsunoh were all decided before this post was made. Any moves from Gen 4 or before will probably not be considered, as Kitsunoh those moves existed when Kitsunoh was being made, but any non-competitive moves from Gen 5 and onwards are totally gucci ;) are allowed.

What new non-competitive moves, from Gens 5-7 should we add to Kitsunoh's movepool that fit its typing/design?

Hex is a fun one, as it translates to "Evil Eye" in Japanese. Before I hear the "But this isn't made in Japan" argument, if Kit was real the move would be called Evil Eye. Look at Kit and tell me those eyes are not as sinful as satan himself.
Shadow Punch is the only flavor move to tie in with Iron Fist. Before you get up in arms over it (pun intended), it becomes base 72 power with Iron Fist, leaving it outclassed by Shadow Strike, as it does less than it. 50% chance to lower defense is much better than bypassing accuracy checks.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
A Brutal Swing isn't necessarily a Brutal thing. Mightyena doesn't get Brutal Swing and it's a Dark-type. Kitsunoh just doesn't have the free appendage to swing its body around.

Alright, here's my general analysis.

Gen V:
Bulldoze - Correlation with Earthquake
Hex - High correlation with Ghost types and not useful given Kit's low SpA
Round - Consistency
Snarl - Liepard gets it and I see it as fitting; not worth running over literally any other decent attack

Gen 6:
Confide - Consistency

Ah, and just as a heads up, Shadow Punch is from Gen 3. I personally am not against it, but since this phase is consistency... idk. Also, for Pete's sake, can we stahp with the Brutal meme, it makes me sad on the inside. I don't like it on Kit, mainly because I thought the body was ethereal, but I might be wrong on that account so feel free to correct me.

Entrainment/Simple Beam; Theoretical aid to scouting. You gain knowledge for sure of what ability something else is running, and may even force a switch by removing certain helpful abilities.

Ally Switch; This lets you bait moves, and switch in tanky types in doubles. Virtually useless for single player. I don't think it has the potential to flat out sweep without a Life Orb, so I don't think running Z-Ally Switch is too OP.

With 55 SpA, I don't think that Hex is a serious competitive move.

Guard Split/Power Split; Guard Split can take ~70 Defence/60 SpD off Ferrothorn, to help remove bulk and set up for something else to come in. It doesn't allow for any real competitive use as far as I'm aware. It already has Pain Split.

Volt Switch; It already has both Thunder Punch and U-Turn available to it. Perhaps becomes a bit more powerful with Electric Terrain set up, and deals more damage to Char Y or Tomohawk, but not to a super deadly level. CBA with maths, it's not a big goer for me one way or the other.

Phantom Force; 2 Turn attack. Could be a Z-nuke, though (175 power). Shadow Strike is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)