CaP Prevos - Rebble & Boulderdash - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hi All!

I know a few of you have already been designing bits and bobs for These two guys! As we all agreed before, Boulderdash will likely undergo a name change and in this part we can also change its artwork!

I would like Rebble to retain it's original design, but Boulderdash is now a free for all (if someone wants to make an "upgraded" version of his original Artwork, I will not bar it from entry).

We have the below artwork to give you guys some ideas:

Again, if Boulderdash's design changes extensively, we will obviously update his sprites too! Can you also tag WHICH of the prevos the artwork is for! Just helps me speed things up a little later on!

---
***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the Main Design included in image tags below that, and supporting material (if applicable) below the Main Design.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP PokeDex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • It must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no parts of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • It must not include offensive or obscene imagery, or be intended to mock or insult the project or other users.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • The design must be colored lineart with an distinct outline on the entire subject in contrast to the subject and background. Colored outlines are allowed but must not obstruct the clarity of the design.
  • No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed image dimension is 640 pixels and the minimum is 320 pixels. The maximum allowed image filesize is 200 kB.
  • It must be in jpg, png or gif format and must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.

The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Posting Rules

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, thread-hogging will be moderated. If you wish to add new comments or art, but don't want to hog the thread, please consider editing your most recent post to add new content.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full sized image which is no larger than 640 pixels in either dimension with a filesize no larger than 200 kB . Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • The use of hide tags does not circumvent or alter any of the image posting rules.
  • Images must be in jpg, png or gif format and must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Out of courtesy to users with lower bandwidth, artists should not post links to images with filesizes exceeding 500 kB. You must include a warning if you do.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • No bumping art or begging for feedback. If no one comments on your design, consider the silence to be your feedback. Also, check out the CAP Discord channel or the CAP PS Room for open real-time discussion on CAP art.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.

Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Please DO post constructive feedback for artists.
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not comment that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon and therefore such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted.
  • Do not repost images from the thread. When quoting a post, remove any images.

Additionally, please do not suggest names for your or other peoples' concepts, as it may bias the name poll. Everyone should have a fair chance to suggest a name during the naming stage.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.
~~~~~~~

Let's get to it! Of course, we are simply a Rock Type at the moment! We are currently finalizing abilities over in the discussion thread!

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
WIP

Quick doodle I did of the design last night. I really tried capitalizing on Stratagem's alien nature with some sort of funky looking middle ground between both forms. I'm quite a fan of Rebble's buttony middle eye so this version takes more inspiration from that. It still maintains the arm spears from both its prevo and evo, and a third one can be seen growing out from below and forming some sort of stinger, with said spear later turning into Stratagem's extra arms. The rocks on what would be his shoulders also sort of look like shoulderpads, so perhaps he's also a space cadet?

WIP

Definitely going to thin down these lines, but the basic concept here is that Boulderdash is a cocoon, as I've always seen stratagem as both alien and insectoid, and many insects use cocoons, and so do many aliens in modern media also it's rolled up into a boulder oof

Final Submission
2017-10-05 16.22.55.jpg

This is my final design for Bolderdash. I decided to do the eyes and claws like some kind if pattern. Rebble has 1 eye, Bolderdash having 3, Stratagem having 6 eyed. Rebble has 2 claws, Bolderdash has 3, Stratagem has 4. I tried to comebine the head of Stratagem and Rebble to make it look like it's forming to Stratagem. And the spike on it's back is what will soon be its 4th claw.

Last edited:

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Heck, might as well put this down just in case I want to finish it later.

WIP

Free handed most of it in "the best" art software out there: MS Paint. Just a general "get the shape right" picture right with some color for the general direction. Kinda wanted to stick the angle already given in the sprites, so that's what you should expect.

Final Submission
REBBLE

BOULDERDASH

Updated dat
new upudatu

Lineless ooooo

I tried to find a good midpoint between rebble and stratagem while still looking alieny. This is what i cam eup with for now

Last edited:
Final Submission

Rebble

Bolderdash
I had no idea folks were doing something like this lmao. This was a fun exercise, having a pre-evo and an evo provided for the artist.
Bonus Stratagem!

EDIT: New versions.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Rebble

Bolderdash
I had no idea folks were doing something like this lmao. This was a fun exercise, having a pre-evo and an evo provided for the artist.
The whole gang (with bonus Stratagem).
Wow. I absolutely LOVE your Rebble!!
I think Bolderdash's head is better shaped with Strategem in mind, but then again, the original complaint was that they looked far too similar, so great job!

The only nitpick however is the colour scheme. I don't think they should have that metallic grey look, as it heavily implies Steel typing. Make it look more stone grey, so UK, Rock. And on a much less important note, the rocks holding the head and limbs are usually lighter than yours are now, a tannish look.

Final Submission

Rebble

Bolderdash
The whole gang (with bonus Stratagem).
Ya I agree the head looks too different from Stratagem's. I love this design otherwise though, especially since without the head it looks like the perfect middle ground between Rebble and Stratagem. Your Rebble is so cute too I love it!

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Golurkyourself, your Rebble is so cute!! However, I do not like the direction that your Bolderdash takes. It looks far too human - I see where you were going with the "torso" area, but it looks too much like the torso of a robot - maybe thin it down a little? The head looks humanoid as well - the eyes and the separation of the gray area to the brown area seem to form a mouth. Since Stratagem is supposed to be alien, I don't like these characteristics.

Sunfished, I think this is a weakness that the original artwork/sprite faces, and your design improves on it (though I think Golurkyourself fixes), it looks like Rebble's one "eye" isn't centered on the front of its "face." Instead it looks like it has two eyes, one of which we cannot see because its head is turned to its right. I'm no artist so I don't know how to fix it, but maybe move the eye to the left? Otherwise I love it! I absolutely love your Boulderdash design! It really looks like a mid-evo, yet it's not a big Rebble or a small Stratagem. I like how the head looks similar to Stratagem's but isn't quite developed yet.

Given the original design and how we have to stick to it, not much I can do to fix it. Does the light soft tans of the body look too soft? I figured the hard edges would help define them as stone

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Given the original design and how we have to stick to it, not much I can do to fix it. Does the light soft tans of the body look too soft? I figured the hard edges would help define them as stone
I think the tail rocks should be fused to the main body, similar to most of the other submissions.

>most submissions
Most of the other submissions and the sprites have floating rock bits though. However, I can remove them if you think it would look better

Made some changes to Rebble, brought the body closer together, and simplified boulderdash as much as i could.

I guess the angle just made it look like it was more fly-apparty ig. Anyways I like the Bolderdash design a lot but I feel like adding a few more floaty bits would help it look more like a middleground between Rebble and Stratagem. Otherwise this artwork is excellent, keep up the good work!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Honestly loving a lot of the art made up here! With Stats polls starting tomorrow, I am giving you guys a tentative 48 hours to tidy up and final submit.

I will talk to Quanyails and ask her how we want to do the artowkr, but currently I am leaning at doing two different threads, one for Rebble and one for Bolderdash art.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Will be making these polls shortly.

Thank you to all the artists! I will be making two separate polls for each design!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)