CAP 23 CAP 23 - Part 4 - Primary Ability Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This will be a Preferential Block Vote (PBV) (a form of Instant Runoff Voting which re-runs the counting, each time removing the previously top-ranked candidate in order to determine the 2nd most preferred, 3rd most preferred, etc.), the details of which are outlined here and here. This is a ranked vote: order does matter! You can upvote your favorites and downvote your least favorites. You may choose to rank as many or as few options as you like, but we encourage you to rank as many options as possible to ensure your preferences are taken into account.

Bold your votes and nothing else! A typical vote might look like the following:
Most Preferred
Second Most Preferred
Third Most Preferred

Any comments that the voter has would go below the votes in non-bold text. Bold text is used to determine what the user's votes are, so none of the supplementary text should be in bold.
CAP uses automated scripts to count votes. For this reason, it is very important for all ballots to be submitted correctly. If you do not compose a legal ballot, your post will be subject to moderation.
  • The scripts count bold words in ballots, so do NOT bold anything in your ballot other than the options you are voting for.
  • Do NOT put any formatting other than bold in your post.
  • Only one option per line.
  • Spelling of options must be EXACTLY correct and must match the spelling listed above.
  • Capitalization and spaces are ignored by the vote counting scripts, but you probably should not depend on it.
Composing a proper ballot is easy. Enter BBCode Edit Mode (the A in the upper right corner). Copy/paste the options directly from the OP to your ballot as plain unbolded text. Delete and/or rearrange the options to suit your preference and the poll type. Bold your vote text using bold tags or re-enter rich text mode, highlight your vote and click B. Spelling or formatting errors may spoil your ballot, so be careful!

Please post only your votes in this thread. Do not respond to other posts, or your posts will be moderated and you may be warned. You are allowed to say whatever you like in relation to your vote at the bottom of your post, but please do not look to begin a discussion. Keep those comments to the PS! CAP chatroom or the CAP Discord channel.

Asking for votes for your submission or for the submissions of others is not allowed. Anyone found to have done so risks punishment at the moderation team's discretion. If you find that someone has broken this rule, please contact the CAP moderation team with your evidence and no one else. Mini-moderation of this rule is also considered a serious offense and can be punished.

Your options include:

Tough Claws
Comatose
Shield Dust
Strong Jaw
Defiant

This poll will be open for 24 hours.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Comatose
Shield Dust
Strong Jaw
Defiant
Tough Claws

My main concern with Tough Claws is if we give CAP23 Shadow Claw, people WILL prefer to use Shadow Claw and become it a generic wallbreaker, and not a sistematic trapper, and Defiant doesn't solve a thing, but it's better than risking to derail this concept so...

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Comatose
Shield Dust

Tough Claws

Strong Jaw
Defiant

Really I like all of these except for Defiant - imo Defiant really just address too little for our ability. Tough Claws might have access to a boosted Shadow Claw, but that won't completely overshadow Spirit Shackle as a STAB move and will promote set diversity, as we decided in Concept Assessment that one direction we could take is having a non-trapping set take advantage of opponents making awkward plays to avoid said trapping move. Regardless, I'd personally prefer any of the top 4 abilities.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Comatose
Tough Claws
Shield Dust
Strong Jaw

I do feel we need a defensive ability first, mainly because of how it lines up with what CAP23 is trying to do. But I argue that Comatose is 100% the better ability over Shield Dust just to avoid every potentially status-inducing situation. Tough Claws is also neat, but I really feel like Comatose should win first as we want a defensive ability. Plus it would be cool to have an offensive mon with such a potent defensive ability.

Tough Claws
Shield Dust

Comatose is rather unnecessary as majority of the status we want to avoid comes in the form of secondary effects. Also, I prefer an offensive ability for right now so

Comatose
Tough Claws
Strong Jaw
Shield Dust
Defiant

Comatose is a great defensive ability, and it works well with my art design. ;P

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Comatose
Strong Jaw
Shield Dust
Defiant
Tough Claws

I share the same sentiment as Victor S. Court about Tough Claws causing CAP 23 to pull a Krilowatt. ("Utility counter" becoming "everything counter".)

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shield Dust
Defiant
Tough Claws
Comatose
Strong Jaw

Not a fan of Comatose or Strong Jaw at all. The former is far too strong, and the latter is too predictable and doesn't help actually do enough because of it. Don't particularly love Tough Claws either, but I think it is less problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)