CAP 10 CAP 10 - Part 7 - Art Poll 4

What should be CAP 10's artwork?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a tough decision. My favourite was the submission by Cartoons!, and i'm disappointed that it didn't make it this far. However, i like both of these designs too.

In the end, i voted for CyzirVisheen because i think the design fits the concept better: able to counter many Pokémon, but not all at once. I imagine the fish is offensive whilst the lantern is defensive, and that they are mutually exclusive.

I originally voted for aragornbird's but i changed my mind to the anglerfish because I realised that it has a lot of potential even though there's a lot going on in it. oops well too late now

Well, at this point, all of the designs that I had issues with have been eliminated. Aragornbird and CyzirVisheen are both talented artists and have produced quality final submissions. Their designs are both very clever and original (CyzirVisheen's design is a reverse angler fish, not a lantern fish like Lanturn you guys).

CyzirVisheen's design is a clever interpretation of an angler fish: instead of the lantern being attatched to the fish, the fish is attached to the lantern. The reverse angler fish may have a sort of bell shape like Bronzong does, there is enough of a difference between CyzirVisheen's design and Bronzong that I have no idea why people are saying "it looks like Bronzong LOL." The comparison to Lanturn is also not very understandable to me: the lantern is the main body of the Pokemon and the fish is attached, while Lantern has a couple of little balls sticking out of its... antanae if you will as lanterns. Spriting should also not be considered when voting for a design: Colossoil had a few details that would have made it a little more challenging to sprite him, but look, Aragornbird has created Colossoil's lovely sprite!

Those of you who have read my comments in the Art Submissions thread will understand why CyzirVisheen's design is my favorite out of the two remaining designs.

The merits for Aragornbird's design are the fact that it cannot possibly be questioned that it does not look like any other Pokemon since there isn't a shrimp Pokemon, although we do have a lobster Pokemon (Crawdaunt). Obviously, there are few enough similarities to it that I seem to be the only one to even bring Crawdaunt up. It's also simpler of the two, but still has enough detail to have some character. It also is a very cute Pokemon, which (barring Fidgit) CAP lacks so far.

In other words, I would like to see both designs win, but since that is not possible, I voted for my favorite (CyzirVisheen's) but at the same time accepted the very real possiblity that the other choice might win and not objecting at all to it. Both of these last two pieces are just fine for a final design of this Pokemon, so I will not be disappointed or surprised (considering that the race is tight) should Aragornbird's shrimp design win over CyzirVisheen's reverse-angler fish design.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I voted for CyzirVisheen's design. While I would be extremely happy with either choice (and from any of the final four choices, for that matter), what really won me over was the sleek, detailed design of the final submission picture. Cyzir's picture somehow stands out quite well when compared to the simplicity of AB's Shrimp, albeit the shrimp looks nice as well. I also like the idea of the Angler Fish idea, with its natural ability to lure in foes and take them out in a flash. While the shrimp provides hilarity, I find the angler fish to be more precise to the concept's purpose.

As a side note, I don't see the similarity between Bronzong/Lanturn and Cyzir's design. Is it because it's blue and yellow? Even saying they're similar because of a "bell shape" is a stretch, as the angler portion of the fish provides a nice contrast with the overall shape, and it's obvious that the underlying yellow feet (I'm assuming that's what they are) make it completely different with Bronzong's shape and movement. I would also like to throw out there that shape is actually quite sleek, in my opinion, making the overall appearance more appealing.

Aragornbird's design would work very well in CAP Battle. I can imagine it being a fast but weak fighter that can use many different types of attacks. But how would Cyzir_Visheen's design work in CAP Battle? Would it move by flopping? It would definitely not work as well.

Voted Cyzir's for that one.

I fits the concept of bulky counter with mediocre attacking stats, and the artwork is really original and inspiring. It is incredibly well drawn and has shiny colors. It immediately attracts the eye and it just...

...looks freakin' cool.

Also, aragornbird's design is great and cute and even if I don't care it looks like a NFE, it just looks... boring. Yes, i do love simple designs, but that one makes it quite unimpressive... Sorry, bird, better luck next time.

I just love Cyzir's art. I can certainly see it fitting the stat spread (it looks bulky, but I can easily see the fish speeding it along), but it's also just really cool. And quirky. Which is a big plus.

Cyzir's design looks more complicated, and detailed, while aragorn's design seems to simple and it doesn't look like it can live up to it's base 151 HP stat. Seems small IMO.

After a tough decision between the two submission, I finally decided to go with CyzirVisheen's design on the simple fact that his design interested me the most. It's a unique twist on the old angler fish thing and the coloring caught my eye more than Aragornbird's design.

Now Aragornbird's design is pretty nice though and I'm warming up to it as we speak though that wasn't always the case. To be honest I used to hated the shrimp/prawn (what's the different between a shrimp and a prawn?) or anything that have to do with Aragornbird ever since his Pirate Squid design won the art poll in CAP6, "stealing" a win from my favorite artist Cyzir. Now I know it's really petty of me to hold a grudge against someone for something like that, but that's how things turned out for me when that happened. Now it all changed when I saw A-bird's finished shrimp/prawn's design and it's support material. It was so ingenious and amusing of him to use the antennas as a way for his design to attack. I must have stared at those images for like 20 minutes or so and even now I still go back to it when I feel a bit under the weather for a few chuckles. So although I voted for Cyzir for CAP10, I wouldn't be upset if A-bird wins this competition.

Definitely Aragornbird's. CyzirVisheen's is simply too cluttered and in-your-face. Plus, Water/Electric angler fish-like Pokemon have been done (see Chinchou, Lanturn). Sorry, man.

I still think aragornbird's design is way too simple - in my eyes, it doesn't have a Pokémon-ish feel. It's cute, and it's a damn electric shrimp, but it stops there. Meanwhile, Cyzir's one has a pretty original idea, looks good, looks like it fits well in the Pokémon world and looks damn cool. So CyzirVisheen it is. For me.

I don't see what's the bad point of it being an angler fish, really. I know it's because we already have Lanturn, but why's that so bad? I'm sure there are some examples in the 493 we already know, but my memory's being fuzzy now... well damn. Plus, this guy's not your common angler fish. I'd be against it if it were an upside-down Lanturn, but it isn't.

I voted for Cyzirs because it is really creative and detailed. For those saying that it looks like bronzong, aragon's shrimp looks almost exactly like a corpfish

i got these pictures from aragornbird's post in the Art Submissions here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2532507&postcount=176

i know he changed the luminescent markings (and i love the changes), but i believe he still intends this as one of his submission's supporting material.. this is the main reason i fell in love with the shrimp.. just imagine him doing all kinds of attacks from a wide movepool (which would perhaps be necessary because of the concept), and glowing with different colors! man i want to see the final art in different glows! (maybe Cyzir can even have a take with it, since the shiny/glowing style he has on his reverse angler fish is superb)

I voted Cyzir's due to it's atural bulky look but yet looks like it's capable of being a nasty attacker if it really tried.

Aragorn's sadly didn't catch my fancy. It looks like a poster model and I honestly can see it doing anything except posing. I can't picture it using Surf, Thunderbolt, heck, even protect. It simply looks too static and, I guess the term would be Statue-like.

Last poll closed with 440 votes, and after purging ended up with 403. This one closed at 438, and looks like it has a few fakes in the roster as well. I wonder who genuinely won.

On an interesting note, all of the final four artists voted for the shrimp.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Closing the thread because the poll is closed, but I don't trust those numbers so I'm going to hold off on announcing the winner.

I'll go ahead and put the counters discussion up in a bit.

Edit: After a series of checks and reports, there were no alternate accounts present in this poll, which I find impressive. At any rate, this makes the winner aragornbird. Congratulations to both artists for making it this far and having awesome designs, and congrats to aragornbird for winning. For all intents and purposes, his electric shrimp design now represents CAP10!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)