Byrne's Weekly Sports Power Rankings

I love doing power rankings, and I do this on other forums too so I might as well post them here as well.

I will try to do power rankings every Sunday for the sports going on. I'll get some preseason rankings up for NFL and NBA when that time comes around, but right now it's just baseball. I don't follow hockey enough to do that.

P.S. I usually only do descriptions for the top 10 teams.

MLB Power Rankings for Sunday, July 29, 2012

1. Washington Nationals (60-40) [Last Week: 2]
The best pitching lineup in all of baseball and a potent enough offense to back it up. If they can keep this up, they have a strong shot at representing the National League in the World Series. The only problem is that innings limit for a certain ace...

2. Cincinnati Reds (60-40) [Last Week: 4]
I don't know how you argue this at this point. They don't have Joey Votto, but they still have lost only two games in almost twenty contests. Their pitching is only outdone by the Washington Nationals. They're currently in the middle of a nine game winning streak, and at the time of me writing this they are winning against the Rockies which would make it ten. There is no hotter team in baseball right now.

3. New York Yankees (60-40) [Last Week: 1]
They've slumped a little lately (4-6 in their last ten games), but there's no denying that this team has a offense with as much or more firepower than any other team in baseball. They have not one, but two players in the AL MVP race and a pitching lineup that's starting to come together with Ivan Nova and Hiroki Kuroda doing well along with Sabathia's usual dominance.

4. Pittsburgh Pirates (58-42) [Last Week: 5]
As surprising as this team is, they are absolutely dominating and still only a couple games back in the NL Central. Led by the obvious NL MVP at this point barring a ridiculous slide or injury, this Pirates team is playing well and playing with chemistry. Timely hitting and rising to the occasion is a common occurrence when this team plays, making them a very scary match-up for anyone.

5. Los Angeles Angels (55-46) [Last Week: 8]
Let me just read off the pitching rotation of this team: Jered Weaver, Dan Haren, CJ Wilson, Zack Greinke, Ervin Santana. The fact that the worst starter in your rotation is a career 89-73 with a 4.22 ERA and a no-hitter just last season is a testament to how ridiculous this rotation will be the rest of the season. That, on top of the fact that they have Mike Trout who is an unstoppable freak of nature and the obvious Pujols makes this team an absolute juggernaut for the rest of this season.

6. Atlanta Braves (57-44) [Last Week: 6]
Speaking of hot teams, the Braves have felt a spark by the surprising dominance of Ben Sheets and have subsequently rocketed up in the NL East race. Only 3.5 games back in their division, this fairly potent offense (3rd in the National League after the Cardinals and the obvious Rockies) has the ability to take over the division in no time.

7. Detroit Tigers (54-48) [Last Week: 7]
They've been under-performing for most of the season but are finally finding their stride. Any team with Justin Verlander, Prince Fielder, and Miguel Cabrera can be dominant, and if this team keeps getting solid pitching from some of it's less consistent starters (Max Scherzer), they could easily be the victors of the American League in October.

8. Texas Rangers (58-41) [Last Week: 3]
They've been playing some uninspired baseball lately, and losing one of their best pitchers and not landing Greinke has to be crushing. This team still has a ridiculously star-studded cast, and if they can still land a high-profile pitcher before the deadline, they can be the unstoppable force they were earlier in the season again.

9. Chicago White Sox (55-45) [Last Week: 11]
They're in the middle of a tasty winning streak and they have beaten down the Rangers two games in a row now. With players like Youkilis finally hitting well along with Adam Dunn being absolutely on fire in tandem with constant brilliance from Chris Sale, this team is looking really potent right now.

10. Oakland Athletics (55-45) [Last Week: 14]
I don't know how they're doing it, but for some reason this team is excellent starts from young pitchers and they're getting some excellent, clutch hitting from their young roster. CC Sabathia and Alex Rodriguez on their own are worth more than this team's entire roster, yet they're currently first in the AL Wild Card race. That's inspired baseball and team chemistry, ladies and gentlemen, and it is beautiful.

11. San Francisco Giants
12. Los Angeles Dodgers
13. Tampa Bay Rays
14. St. Louis Cardinals
15. Baltimore Orioles
16. Arizona Diamondbacks
17. Boston Red Sox
18. Toronto Blue Jays
19. Cleveland Indians
20. New York Mets
21. Philadelphia Phillies
22. Seattle Mariners
23. Miami Marlins
24. Milwaukee Brewers
25. Minnesota Twins
26. Kansas City Royals
27. San Diego Padres
28. Chicago Cubs
29. Colorado Rockies
30. Houston Astros

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)