SPOILERS! Blacephalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't Grassy Terrain support allow you to use Mind Blown three times? Assuming your opponent doesn't survive and deal chip damage in retaliation. I feel like Grassy Terrain still allows you to use a Choice item or a Firium Z without losing power.

breh

強いだね
To be honest I'm just waiting for the memes.
my head asplode

~~

playing bad gen 5 ninetales mixed with bad manaphy / bad xurk, a fun set could be Firium Z Sunny Day:

Blacephalon @ Firium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Sunny Day
- Psychic

if you sunny day on a predicted ttar switch, nearly OHKOes it with Z-Mind Blown after that

conversely you can use z-sunny day to attempt a sweep if the team is clear of faster scarf mons. 107 is ass, modest doesn't outspeed timid lele and no matter what timid keldeo outspeeds you. drop speed to 200ish and dump the points in SpD to guaranteed live sun scarf keldeo hydro pump, it's a roll otherwise

you need psychic or else you can't outdamage toxapex recover at +0. if you sunny day against it it helps you eat scalds for less than 50%. you don't have HP ice so you need to damage stuff like zygarde / garchomp before trying anything

I think you should avoid investing 4 HP over 4 def since it makes you a little more susceptible to rocks (4HP = HP stat %4 = 0), but obnoxiously mind blown rounds up with its recoil damage anyway

Wouldn't Grassy Terrain support allow you to use Mind Blown three times? Assuming your opponent doesn't survive and deal chip damage in retaliation. I feel like Grassy Terrain still allows you to use a Choice item or a Firium Z without losing power.
Also protects you from EQs (not Earth Power), allowing Blace to live at least one EQ from Lando-T I guess (?)
Actually yes, because the 1/16 HP recovery brings you to HP > 50%, so yeah virtually you can use 3 Mind Blow before going down, if the opponent doesn't touch you and there's no Sand/Hail damage.

my head asplode

~~

playing bad gen 5 ninetales mixed with bad manaphy / bad xurk, a fun set could be Firium Z Sunny Day:

Blacephalon @ Firium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Sunny Day
- Psychic

if you sunny day on a predicted ttar switch, nearly OHKOes it with Z-Mind Blown after that

conversely you can use z-sunny day to attempt a sweep if the team is clear of faster scarf mons. 107 is ass, modest doesn't outspeed timid lele and no matter what timid keldeo outspeeds you. drop speed to 200ish and dump the points in SpD to guaranteed live sun scarf keldeo hydro pump, it's a roll otherwise

you need psychic or else you can't outdamage toxapex recover at +0. if you sunny day against it it helps you eat scalds for less than 50%. you don't have HP ice so you need to damage stuff like zygarde / garchomp before trying anything

I think you should avoid investing 4 HP over 4 def since it makes you a little more susceptible to rocks (4HP = HP stat %4 = 0), but obnoxiously mind blown rounds up with its recoil damage anyway
Didn't think about Sunny Day, but man this thing needs 3 STABs options: one for Ghost, one for Fire, and one for Mind Blow.
You can't preclude a kill on a bulky 2x Fire thing if you already used MB once, you must have a secondary Fire STAB to use in case everything goes shit.
Look at this thing as if you were looking to VGC Torkoal (in terms of moves), imagine Mind Blow = Eruption (in terms of reliability): as far as I know, people almost always run both Eruption and, say, Flamethrower on Tork. Do the same with our firecracker: Mind Blow is spectacular, especially in Singles, because it just mows down what is not designed to tank ultra-strong Fire-type moves, and severely dents everything that can (30+% to a Ttar is Sand is just... Well, mind-blowing); but you do need another form of Fire offense, just to preserve the firecracker's "big hit" when needed, and avoid all the issues when you need a Fire-type move.

Last edited:
Sunny Day Mind Blown Blace sounds really cool. Considering Blace's base 151 SpAtk andMind Blown's 150 bp, in fact:

252 SpA Chandelure Inferno Overdrive (195 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sun: 266-313 (78 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Which is a butt ton of damage. You really just need some chip and your biggest counter, bar tran, dies. Moreover, if they don't have a TTar or an Heatran, you can always Z-Sunny Day for a +1 in Speed and attempt a sweep on more offensive teams, even though its poor bulk would probably make hard for Blace to set up.
In my opinion a Specs set with Fire Blast, Shadow Ball, HP Ground, Explosion/Mind Blown could generally be better, I can see Sunny Day be at the very least a very cool set to abuse its counters, as both Ttar and Tran are not that difficult to wear down, expecially when used in a more offensive team.

Okay first and foremost I love Blacephalon! I think its the cutest/creepiest ultra beast! I'm in the midst of building a team with it now that i know its stats.

Im running this set with it:
Blacephalon @ Firium Z
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ground
- Flame Charge

Would love to know what team style this poke would fit well in? In my honest opinion i feel that with its "kamikaze" nature of battling it'll fit well on a Hyper Offensive team that needs a poke to punch serious holes in an opposing team.

I plan on using this in combination with Healing Wish so i can get a new round to use Mind Blown.

Also what teammates would go well with it? I love the idea of Mega Lopunny as a partner. It Mega Lopunny also has access to Healing Wish too.

I wanna hear more ideas about this poke! Blacephalon is seriously awesome! Hope you all like it too!

Last edited:
Okay first and foremost I love Blacephalon! I think its the cutest/creepiest ultra beast! I'm in the midst of building a team with it now that i know its stats.

Im running this set with it:
Blacephalon @ Firium Z
Hasty Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ground
- Flame Charge

Would love to know what team style this poke would fit well in? In my honest opinion i feel that with its "kamikaze" nature of battling it'll fit well on a Hyper Offensive team that needs a poke to punch serious holes in an opposing team.

I plan on using this in combination with Healing Wish so i can get a new round to use Mind Blown.

Also what teammates would go well with it? I love the idea of Mega Lopunny as a partner. It Mega Lopunny also has access to Healing Wish too.

I wanna hear more ideas about this poke! Blacephalon is seriously awesome! Hope you all like it too!
I think Healing wish is a good idea. And I really love Blacephalon too :'D

Apparently, Magic Guard blocks Mind Blown's Recoil. Here's a double strategy:

Alakazam @ Focus Sash/Alkazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Level: 50
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Skill Swap
- Protect

Blacephalon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Mind Blown
- Shadow Ball
- Heat Wave/ HP Ground
- Protect

Basic Idea: Skill Swap Magic Guard on to Blacephalon, and spam Mind Blown. HP Ground is there for Heatran, while Heat Wave is a spread attack. Focus Blast screws Tyranitar and Hydreigon, though I suppose doubles is too Fast paced for Focus Blast. Focus Sash guarantees Skill Swap, Though if the mega Slot is open, Alkazite is a decent option.

And While were on Mind Blown memes:

Mind Blown

Not sure about this thing in Doubles. "Chandelure, but fast" has the makings of a decent mon, and it can OHKO pretty much every relevant bulky steel or psychic with a Z-move and/or a +1 boost. Z Shadow Ball OHKOs 252HP Cress for example. However, Mind Blown hits all adjacent targets including its partner. Better hope you can read protects well or have Wide Guard or something, otherwise you'll end up damaging yourself more than your opponent. It still acts as a discount Explosion which is somewhat less committal, so maybe it can work especially on something with 151 base SpA that gets boosts for free. You can even KO your partner for a free boost!

Needs speed control to really shine, but I could see this thing blowing games wide open even if the opponent just leads improperly against it. Looks like a lot of fun to use.

Last edited:
So i have a question... what is Blacephalon's role? is it a sweeper? or a wallbreaker? and could it serve as a stallbreaker? If choosing to be a sweeper... is Mind Blown still worth it?

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
So i have a question... what is Blacephalon's role? is it a sweeper? or a wallbreaker? and could it serve as a stallbreaker? If choosing to be a sweeper... is Mind Blown still worth it?
It can serve multiple roles, whether it's a revenge killer with Scarf or - what seems to be its main role - a wallbreaker with Specs or a Z-Move. I'm pretty all of its sets run Mind Blown, though I could see Scarf dropping it if it wanted to run Fire Blast/Shadow Ball/Trick/Smack Down (F-Blast still kills what it needs to without impaling itself, though the raw power would still be missed).

I say it’s main niche is going to be a wallbreaker. It has an amazing offensive typing and power. I can’t really see it being a stallbreaker or sweeper.
Mind Blown doesn’t seem worth it to me due to recoil + being hit by all hazards. Besides, Fire blast is still extremly powerful. I imagine on the choice specs set you will usually be soaking shadow ball anyway.

It can serve multiple roles, whether it's a revenge killer with Scarf or - what seems to be its main role - a wallbreaker with Specs or a Z-Move. I'm pretty all of its sets run Mind Blown, though I could see Scarf dropping it if it wanted to run Fire Blast/Shadow Ball/Trick/Smack Down (F-Blast still kills what it needs to without impaling itself, though the raw power would still be missed).
I say it’s main niche is going to be a wallbreaker. It has an amazing offensive typing and power. I can’t really see it being a stallbreaker or sweeper.
Mind Blown doesn’t seem worth it to me due to recoil + being hit by all hazards. Besides, Fire blast is still extremly powerful. I imagine on the choice specs set you will usually be soaking shadow ball anyway.
Thanks for the input. I think im going to run Blacephalon as a wallbreaker (especially since it can literally blow up walls lol #mindblown) with Firium Z since thatll give me a free nuke with mind blown. Not only that but the rest of my team will have faster pokes like mega lopunny and greninja

Is running a sweeper set a good idea?
I was thinking of giving it:

Flame charge; to boost its speed while beast boost boosts its spATK.

Shadow ball

Flamethrower/Mind Blown+Firium Z

Knock off, for chanseys.

Is this a good idea? I know relying on flame charge to boosts its speed is risky, but it might work.

Is running a sweeper set a good idea?
I was thinking of giving it:

Flame charge; to boost its speed while beast boost boosts its spATK.

Shadow ball

Flamethrower/Mind Blown+Firium Z

Knock off, for chanseys.

Is this a good idea? I know relying on flame charge to boosts its speed is risky, but it might work.
It can work, but thinking flame charge can give you speed boost as well as spatk boost is a bit too optimistic at best despite its good ATK. Not to mention this guy really has poor resistance which wouldn't be able to take any fuckups.

If speed is important, how about giving if a scarf? 107 is nothing to sneeze at and scarfing it can get white threatening.

Blacephalon @ Firium-Z/Ghostium-Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp

Way to go imo, does a fine job at dealing damage while not being suicidal or total deadweight against Tyranitar and Chansey.
I really like this set too. Having Will-O-Wisp for Tyranitar and Knock Off for Chansey is a great idea. Blacephalon really lures in these two poke big time and Knock off and Will-O have great utility.

Ugh i wish Blacephalon at least got access to low kick

Does Pursuit from Tyranitar kill Blacephalon after its been burned?

On a non-competitive matter... why doesn't Blacephalon get Teeter Dance? I... think it could have fit given its looks.
Agreed... Im honestly surprised Blacephalon doesn't get Nasty Plot, Low Kick, and Flare Blitz. I woulda been so stoked if Blacephalon had access to at least low kick... ALSO! HOW does Blacephalon not get a single draining move!?!?!?! Give this thing Giga Drain or Leech Life!

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Agreed... Im honestly surprised Blacephalon doesn't get Nasty Plot, Low Kick, and Flare Blitz. I woulda been so stoked if Blacephalon had access to at least low kick... ALSO! HOW does Blacephalon not get a single draining move!?!?!?! Give this thing Giga Drain or Leech Life!
Why would draining make sense on a pokemon that's concept revolves around it being a kamikaze

Why would draining make sense on a pokemon that's concept revolves around it being a kamikaze
Well it DOES say about exploding its head to scare the shit outta its victim to drain the life force out from them, though I don't see drain moves being very applicable to the exploding clown of death.

so what pokemon whould you guys pair up with blacephalon? i wanna get as many ideas as possible and honestly cant wait for smogon's analysis XD

On a related note, I don't see how this is a Ghost-type. It seems more like a grass-type, looking like a dandelion. Missed Opportunity Gamefreak, alongside Stakataka and Zerarora.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)