Other Metagames [BH] The future is not written! - peaked at #1, 1820 Elo

The future is not written!

Introduction

Hello everyone! I'm Semako, a pretty active player of Other Metas, mostly Balanced Hackmons. This is not my first Balanced Hackmons team I share in an RMT, but because my previous team was built around the infamous core of Pixilate Diancie and Magnet Pull Groudon-Primal, which could no longer be used due to the Magnet Pull ban, I had to build a new team. Testings with Illusion instead of Magnet Pull on PDon, of course with the same goal of removing steel types for Diancie, weren't that successful for me, so that I decided to make something new.

Dialga always looked interesting for me due to its great defensive typing and its powerful Core Enforcer, so that I decided to build around it. As there are so many offensive threats to cover in Balanced Hackmons, this team became more and more denfensive-orientated, but performed extremely well and I managed to reach the top of the ladder for the first time.
However, I used not the final version, which is the RMT's topic, but an earlier one - Giratina was Fur Coat with Griseous Orb, now it is Poison Heal and instead of Fur Coat POgre there was a Prankster Registeel with Nuzzle/Entrainment/Destiny Bond/Shore Up. After Stakeout got banned, I noticed a decline in usage of physical PDon variants, especially Tinted Lens was nowhere to be seen, but I lost twice to a Sheer Force one with Ice Beam to kill Giratina, so that I decided to add a Fur Coat POgre, which is capable of checking Sheer Force PDon with Ice beam and of course most physical variants too, while changing Giratina to Poison Heal to be less vulnerable to Sleep and to be able to defog Toxic Spikes without getting an unwanted poisoning.
With this new team version, I peaked the ladder multiple times, the last peak from today also was a new elo record for me ;-)
First Peak:

New elo record from today:

Teambuilding Process

Dialga was the pokemon I started with. It acts both as a physical wall and Regigigas check thanks to Fur Coat and the team's most powerful offensive pokemon with Adamant Orb-boosted Doom Desire, Core Enforcer and Tail Glow to boost its SpA to sky-high levels.

Chansey fulfills two roles: It is the usual Imposter and also imposterproofs Dialga. A bulky fairy like Xerneas or Audino-Mega with Substitute and Poison Heal would be another improofing option, but using Chansey allows me to save one moveslot or even a pokemon slot as the blob would be there anyways for Imposter.

RegenVest Solgaleo was added to check Psychic Surge MMY and most -ate users. It provides great utility, prevents setup with Spectral Thief, spreads paralysis which helps Chansey with outspeeding the impostered mon and gains momentum via u-turn.

Fur Coat Giratina was used as a blanket check to physical attackers, most notably Regigigas and Primal Groudon. Giratina was preferred over Zygod due to the lack of a 4x weakness and due to its much more powerful Core Enforcer.

Prankster Registeel was chosen as another setup check and could also stop Poison Heal fairies with Entrainment.

As the team was still weak to Entrainment Normalize Gengar, I added Magic Bounce Mega Audino. It not only stops said Gengar, it provides great utility with Knock Off, sets Stealth Rock and also improofs Giratina by simply being immune to its moves.

The Team

Dialga @ Adamant Orb
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Core Enforcer
Tail Glow
Doom Desire
Milk Drink

As I said, Dialga was always an intersting pokemon in BH for me thanks to its unique combination of great defensive typing and offensive presence, especially when equipped with a boosting item like the chosen Adamant Orb and, of course, a modest nature. While most Dialgas are either RegenVest, which is in most cases outclassed by Solgaleo or Tinted Lens, this one has Fur Coat. While playing, I found out that Tinted Lens is not necessary to kill bulky steels like Registeel or even AV Solgaleo, the combination of Doom Desire and Core Enforcer gives you the advantage of hitting twice in a turn while nullifying the opponent's ability. Here are some calcs to show the Temporal Pokemon's true power:

+3 252+ SpA Adamant Orb Dialga Core Enforcer vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 161-190 (44.2 - 52.1%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252+ SpA Adamant Orb Dialga Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 225-265 (61.8 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252+ SpA Adamant Orb Dialga Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 216-255 (45.1 - 53.3%) -- 34.8% chance to 2HKO
+3 252+ SpA Adamant Orb Dialga Core Enforcer vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 155-183 (32.4 - 38.2%) -- 97.4% chance to 3HKO

Registeel just dies to the combination of Doom Desire and Core Enforcer and also gets 2HKOed by Core Enforcer after Stealth Rocks if it attempts to switch in when Doom Desire was not used yet; because it loses Prankster on the switchin, it can't stop it with Haze or Destiny Bond. Assault Vest Solgaleo survives barely, but loses its Regenerator in the process, so that it can't heal itself by switching out. Unaware users face a similar fate, as they lose Unaware on their switchin, so that they die to the incoming Doom Desire.
Doom Desire can not only be used for breaking through the opposing team, there are other situations where it can be extremely helpful due to striking in the future - two turns after being used -, giving me one turn after switching Dialga out to do what I want to do - one example is setting Stealth Rocks against an opposing Magic Bounce Audino, which can't stay in on a Doom Desire.

Fur Coat was chosen as its ability, because it prevents it from being forced out by PDon, allows it to easily counter Regigigas and some other physical attackers, and it has interesting synergy with its typing, as both types it is weak to, Ground and Fighting, are mostly physical orientated, while it resists or takes neutral damage from most special attacks, most notably -ates and psychic. The Adamant Orb was chosen as its item over a Steelium Z due to it boosting Dialga's attacking moves without causing recoil damage, unlike the Life Orb, as without those slight boosts, it would not be able to get the kills mentioned above.

If the opponent has an Imposter Chansey, there are two options of beating it: Dialga can beat a paralyzed Imposter with Eviolite knocked off 1on1 if it either uses a second Tail Glow for boosting to +6 SpA or a +3 Core Enforcer on the switchin; otherwise it is improofed by my own Imposter Chansey, but then you have to avoid using a second Tail Glow, as Chansey can't switchin to a +6 Core Enforcer - and +3 is usually enough anyways.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
Slack Off
Aromatherapy
Anchor Shot
Topsy-Turvy

Imposter Chansey is pretty much standard for most Balanced Hackmons teams and a great blanket check to setup sweepers. It also allows scouting movesets and - hopefully it gets implemented soon - abilities and an be used for imposter-proofing, as it doesn't transform when it switches into a transformed pokemon.
Chansey's moveset is designed for trapping both Dialga and POgre Imposters and stalling them out of PP, as a battle becomes much easier when the opponent's Chansey is dead. Topsy-Turvy allows Chansey to turn a Dialga-Imposter's boosts against them, which is necessary, as it would be 2HKOed by +6 Core Enforcer, Anchor Shot traps the opposing Chansey so that it can't switch out anymore, Slack Off keeps Chansey healthy and Aromatherapy can be used to cure annoying status problems and also allows Chansey to trap a POgre Imposter without dying to toxic damage.
The fact that Chansey also fulfills the role of an Improofer makes Eviolite the necessary item, as it needs to be able to switch moves, which would be impossible with a Choice Scarf, and it needs the additional bulk, which it would lack when using a Plate or a Lucky Punch.

+3 252+ SpA Dialga Core Enforcer vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 255-300 (36.2 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-3 252+ SpA Dialga Doom Desire vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 58-69 (8.2 - 9.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Solgaleo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
Knock Off
U-turn
Spectral Thief
Nuzzle

With the ban of Magnet Pull, RegenVest Solgaleo became much better as a MMY and -ate check, as it can no longer be trapped and it no longer neeeds to run maximum speed to escape from a non-scarfed PDon, allowing me to run a Sassy nature for better special bulk and minimum speed, which is important to gain momentum via U-turn.
As some pokemon which are usually checked by Solgaleo sometimes carry V-create or ground coverage, you have to be very careful with it; Blue Flare or Overheat are less problematic as they're weaker and aim against Solgaleo's much better special defense.
The moveset is pretty self-explanatory and standard for a RegenVest Solgaleo, but is the most effective when you make good predictions - for example, don't always panic into Giratina or POgre when the opponent switches Groudon in, as he might overpredict the switch and try to set up with Belly Drum or Shell Smash which it can punish with Spectral Thief; knocking off an Earth Plate makes counterplay against special variants of PDon much easier, as it is usually walled by Solgaleo without its Judgment, of course depending on its moveset, and by its imposter, as Judgment Groudons are meant to be self-improof. If the opponent predicts Solgaleo to stay in and uses Judgment or Bonemerang respectively, Solgaleo survives them.

Nuzzle is a nice move to cripple opposing mons for the rest of the battle, like Ray, Mewtwo or an imposter which switches into Solgaleo. Nuzzle is best used when you see that you may not be able to wall a specific mon with Solgaleo, like a Contrary MMY with Overheat - Solgaleo tanks a +2 Overheat, but has to switch out afterwards, and when it uses Nuzzle, you can safely check the now paralyzed MMY with another mon due to its lowered speed, most notably Chansey.

Another thing nice to know is that MMY with Choice Specs can 2HKO Solgaleo, but you know that the MMY must have Specs when Solaleo takes 50% or more damge from a Moongeist Beam, which means that it is locked into this move - so that Audino can safely come in and use U-turn for momentum.
252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 200-236 (41.8 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Mewtwo-Mega-Y Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 398-470 (83.2 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Mewtwo-Mega-Y Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 230-272 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Earth Plate Groudon-Primal Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Solgaleo: 248-294 (51.8 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Solgaleo: 348-412 (72.8 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Giratina @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
Spectral Thief
Core Enforcer
Defog
Heal Order

Poison Heal Giratina is a great all-around wall, acts as a status sponge and provides crucial hazard control - thanks to Poison Heal, it can switch into Toxic Spikes without having to deal with an unwanted status problem afterwards.
Runnin 252 Speed on a Giratina may seem strange, especially considering that it has Core Enforcer, but speed-tying with the primals and outspeeding other Giratinas can be very important. Things it wants to hit with Core Enfocer to supress their abilities like Poison Heal Regigigas or Pogre are undersped anyways, the latter at least after a Quiver Dance so that it isn't at a disadvantage due to the higher-than usual speed investment.
However, the speed investment gives me a chance of recovering before a 90 base speed mon like a primal hits its attack, which is important when tina is weakened, it allows me to finish off said primals without taking damage and it can 2HKO opposing Giratinas after a bit of chip damage on the switchin without having to worry about losing a speed tie, which would allow them to recover. The speed also allows Giratina to outspeed Groudon at -1, so that it can recover after switching into a V-create before Groudon hits a second one, and it outspeeds MMY after stealing a single speed boost from Quiver Dance, so that it can finish it off with a second Spectral Thief before it gets attacked and potentially killed.

The moveset is pretty much standard, with Core Enforcer to check PH Regigigas and other ability-reliant mons, Spectral Thief to stop any other setupper and Defog for Hazard Control which can't be spinblocked; however it lacks a pivot move like U-turn, because it would not be that helpful with gaining momentum due to the speed investment and it doesn't have the moveslot for that.

As the team has a Toxic user and this Giratina is Poison Heal, the Imposter might get poisoned and abuse this for poison heal, but if Giratina uses Core Enforcer, the Imposter loses PH on the switchin, so that it gets damaged by Toxic. Also, if Giratina has stolen stat boosts and an Imposter switches in, it should not attempt to steal the Imposter's stat boosts, because it might suffer severe damage, instead switch to Audino to force Imposter out.

Kyogre-Primal @ Safety Goggles
Bold Nature
Scald
Spectral Thief
Recover
Toxic /
Ice Beam /
Core Enforcer /
Entrainment
In this slot, I formerly had a Registeel with Prankster, but decided to replace it with a Fur Coat POgre, as it allows me to deal with PDon much better, while providing better utility and offensive presence. Since the ban of Stakeout and the general decline in banded wallbreaker PDons, Kyogre is a much better check to that monster, as it can OHKO any non-Desolate Land variant with Scald, while taking not too much damage from both physical and special moves - unlike a Fur Coat Tina, which doesn't like taking a Sheer Force Ice Beam. It also provides a check to Poison Heal POgres and Xerneas, as it is not weak to their usual coverage options and can steal their boosts with Spectral Thief.

For the last slot, I tried different moves, but the most-used option is Toxic, which is pretty uncommon, but very useful against opposing stall teams - if you reveal it at the right time, so that you get it off without the opponent predicting it and switching to a Magic Bounce mon. It also is kind of a lure for an opposing Imposter, as they often try to poison my Chansey, allowing me to trap and PP-stall them to death. Alternatively, Audino can switch in so that the Imposter poisons itself when attempting to poison my POgre. Another use for toxic is against offensive teams to wear down their threats over time even if they always switch out before I can attack them.
Ice Beam is an option to nail Rayquaza and to do good t damage to other dragons, Core Enforcer or Entrainment can be used to remove the opponent's pokemon's ability with Core Enforcer doing also good damage to dragons, while Entrainment works against Fairies.

/

Audino-Mega (F) @ Rocky Helmet / Darkinium Z
Ability: Magic Bounce
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
Stealth Rock
Knock Off
Shore Up
U-turn /
Parting Shot

Having a fairy is nearly mandatory due to how common Core Enforcer is. Mega Audino is the bulkiest available fairy, and thanks to its primary Normal-typing, it is also immune to Ghost-typed attacks. Magic Bounce provides hazard control and deters the opponent from using status moves; it also bounces back Kyogre's Toxic if it gets impostered. With the combination of Magic Bounce and Knock Off, it is a solid answer to Entrainment Mega Gengar, as Gengar can't entrain it to prevent Knock Off.
The Rocky Helmet was chosen to punish those omnipresent U-turns, it can also be helpful to break sashes from opposing out-of-control sweepers you need to revenge with Imposter Chansey; and it is another check to Shedinja, whcih, unlike Giratina which just walls, kills it immediately, which can be nice if you absolutely want to get rid of that bug.I also thought about Leftovers or even Goggles, but Helmet has proven to be the most useful item for that bunny.

Another option is Darkinium Z with Parting Shot over U-turn for the healing effect of Z-Parting Shot, which can be used to revive a weakened member of the team and to block trick and switcheroo. However, an opposing Magic Bounce user and of course an Imposter can switch in to bounce the Parting Shot back, causing an extreme loss of momentum. I only used the Darkinium Z variant when playing a tour match against a known team with Prankster Scarf-Trick but no Magic Bounce or Imposter as I usually prefer the damaging u-turn and Rocky Helmet is a better item in most situations.

Using Stealth Rock on a Magic Bounce mon might seem a bit counterproductive, as an Imposter can switch in and bounce them back, but on the other hand you don't have to switch out to prevent the imposter's rocks; Imposters also often switch out on themselves to prevent losing their Eviolite to Knock Off.
Audino also improofs Giratina by being immune to its attacks, which is especially important when Giratina has stolen some stats and the oppoenent switches in his Imposter. Similarly, an impostered Solgaleo can't do much to Audino, except paralyzing it, which is actually helpful for an even slower u-turn.

As Audino is the most passive member, you should be really careful with using it, because it can quickly become set-up bait, as it lacks any anti-setup option, the only thing it can do is pivoting out into another mon, for example Imposter, while breaking an eventual focus sash. Running Thief over Rocks might be possible too, but Rocks are very useful especially against spam teams consisting of 6 MMX, MMY or Marshadows with Focus Sashes, as the opponent usually has to sack one of them to get rid of the rocks to preserve the other Focus Sashes.

Threatlist
Of course, this dinosaur is a threat to every BH team. If you predict wrong, it might be game over. While physical sets are relatively easy to wall, special sets are more difficult to deal with.
Its contrary set is extremely annoying to deal with due to Spore and its frailty, which allows it to improof itself simply by using a Focus Sash.
With V-create, it can't be walled by Solgaleo; banded V-create is a straight OHKO. However, Imposter can switch into a predicted V-create easily and POgre walls it if it loses its boosting item to knock off.
Contrary and Tinted Lens sets are difficult to deal with, as contrary sets often have Draco Meteor and V-create, and Tinted Lens sets can suppress Solgaleo's Regenerator with Core Enforcer. However, Audino can actually wall tinted lens sets, and especially switch into a predicted Core Enforcer.
Non-Simple Shell Smash variants fail to OHKO Giratina, Solgaleo or POgre (of course depending on coverage) and can be spectral thiefed, against Simple Variants you have to prevent Setup by Spectral Thiefing the turn they set up, or hope to win the speed tie with Chansey.
As this team mainly is a stall team and most mons can't defeat an Imposter 1on1 due to lacking power but having recovery moves, an opposing Imposter can be very annoying, especially if the opponent doesn't stay in against my own Chansey, so that I can't trap it.

Replays
Importable
Kyogre-Primal @ Safety Goggles
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Spectral Thief
- Recover
- Toxic

Dialga @ Adamant Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Core Enforcer
- Tail Glow
- Doom Desire
- Milk Drink

Solgaleo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Spectral Thief
- Nuzzle

Giratina @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Modest Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Core Enforcer
- Defog
- Heal Order

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Aromatherapy
- Anchor Shot
- Topsy-Turvy

Audino-Mega (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Shore Up
- U-turn

Last edited:
Dang...
Best team I've ever seen. In any metagame. And THIS THING exists! (Here's another replay of that if you want)

Suggestion: replace all healing moves with Shore Up, it's like synthesis, but instead of healing more in the sun, it heals more in a sandstorm. Also no drawbacks, still heal normal amount in hail/sun/rain. There's no reason to use things like Recover or Slack Off when there's an option better in every way (However small the improvement is). There are few (Okay, basically none) sandstorm teams, but, again, there are no drawbacks, so it's a good idea.
Here's the Bulbapedia article on Shore Up: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shore_Up_(move)

Never seen an Imposter pokemon used as the anti-imposter before, cool idea. I just use Unaware safety goggles Registeel, but now I'm thinking of doing that strategy too.

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: just realized this is from january

Hey, thanks for your answer!
I know about Shore Up, but 1) sandstorm is extremely rare in BH and 2) using Shore Up on all mons makes recovring impossible as soon as an opponent with Shore Up clicks Imprison. If you have different recovery moves likeI have in that team, you can still recover your mons, even if one recovery move gets imprisoned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)