Other Metagames [BH] Diancie + Magnet Pull PDon Balance

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction
While playing BH, I noticed that a lot of players heavily rely on their steels to check/counter threats such as Pixilate Diancie and Aerilate Rayquaza, since no other mons are able to switch into their powerful boombursts repeatedly.
Luckily, there's an easy way to remove unprepared steel types: Magnet Pull. And there's a pokemon which nukes steel types: Primal Groudon.
Also, because there are so many dragons around, Diancie actually hits a lot of pokemon in the meta for super-effective damage - unlike Rayquaza, who hits mostly neutral, ending up dealing less damage than Diancie.
And so I decided to build a team around the core of Pixilate Diancie and Magnet Pull Groudon.
A great side-effect from removing steels for Diancie is that they are commonly used for improofing too, so that my Imposter Blissey can become a huge threat too.

Teambuilding Process

Diancie is the pokemon I started with. With Pixilate and Pixie Plate and 160 in both attacking stats, it hits extremely hard, so that only bulky fairy resists can switch in. As there are no viable poison types, except the frail Gengar, Diancie switchins are mostly steel types.

To remove those steel types, I added Magnet Pull Primal Groudon. Thanks to its choice scarf, it can also act as a revenge killer and is capable of setting stealth rocks too.

Solgaleo was added as a RegenVest pivot (beware of opposing Magnet Pull PDons!), and to improof Diancie.

Fur Coat Zygarde-Complete imrpoofs Primal Groudon and walls opposing physical attackers. It also provides hazard removal and, thanks to Z-Parting Shot, it can heal one of my mons to full health once per match.

Gyarados is, in my opinion, the best Unaware user in the current metagame, as it resists both Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam, resists Power Trip and is immune to Stored Power. In former versions, I had an Yveltal in this spot, but it got nuked by Sunsteel too often. Gyarados also has access to STAB Power Trip to sweep on its own after stealing the opponent's stat boosts.

Finally, there's scarfed Imposter Blissey. Because I always lose the speed tie when using a non-scarfed imposter like eviolite Chansey, I prefer scarf Blissey. It is an excellent revenge killer, and sometimes can counter-sweep on its own.

Recently, I replaced the Zygod with a Fur Coat Giratina, wich practically does the same job, but lacks a 4x weakness, cannot be trapped and walls Shedinja, so that I don't have to rely on a Rocky Helmet or on Stealth Rocks being set to get rid of it.

The Team

Princess Peach (Diancie-Mega) @ Pixie Plate / Choice Scarf
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Boomburst
- Extreme Speed
- Shell Smash / Switcheroo

Diancie is the team's main offensive pokemon and sweeper. With Pixilate and the Pixie Plate boost, it hits really hard even without a boost, and not very much pokemon can actually switch into its boomburst. I choce a hasty nature to at least speed tie with opposing Diancies and to outspeed modest Rayquazas without a boost.
Running a Scarf with a modest nature is another option, allowing Diancie to outspeed stuff like both Mewtwo-Megas, Sceptile and scarfed Kyurems without having to set up with Shell Smash; however, Boomburst is noticeably weaker without the pixie plate boost.

U-turn let's me scout opposing steel-type switchins to trap them with Groudon and provides momentum, as Diancie generally forces a lot of switches.
Boomburst is its main attacking move, doing severe damage to everything that doesn't resist it. Apart from steel types, only some random soundproof mons can actually afford to safely switch into it, as even PDon is often 2HKOed by it, and outsped, unless it is a rare scarfed variant.
Extreme Speed is a strong priority move to revenge opposing mons without anti-priority abilities and allows me to damage soundproof mons.
For the last slot, I chose Shell Smash over a filler, to be able to set up for a sweep, if needed. Because Groudon can take out steel types, coverage for them, like Thousand Arrows, V-Create or Earth Plate Judgment isn't needed. If you run the choice scarf, obviously Switcheroo should be run over Shell Smash to be able to get rid of the scarf and potentially cripple a wall with it.

Bowser (Groudon-Primal) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Thousand Arrows
- Stealth Rock / Ice Hammer
- Switcheroo / Ice Hammer

Groudon with Magnet Pull is rarely seen in BH, but it works quite well in combination with Diancie. As I said, it allows me to remove steel-types like RegenVest Solgaleo, which are often the only safe switch-ins against Pixilate Diancie. Thanks to its Choice Scarf, it is generally useful as an revenge killer against mons that don't boost their speed. The scarf also allows it to trap otherwise faster steels like max-speed Solgaleo or Kartana, altough the latter is rarely seen.
Sometimes, especially if I haven't revealed Magnet Pull yet, I can even trap an opposing imposter after it transformed into my Solgaleo.

For the first slot, obviously V-create is chosen, as it destroys every steel without Flash Fire and except Dialga. It also destroys other mons that don't resist it, like both Mewtwos.
Thousand Arrows are extremely spammable and allow me to hit Dialga and the rare Empoleon for supereffective damage, while hitting the majority of the current meta for neutral damage.
In the third slot, I run either Stealth Rock or Ice Hammer. Stealth Rocks break sashes and kill Shedinja, while Ice Hammer allows me to nab revenge kills against Rayquaza or Sceptile, but also makes imposter more dangerous, as Giratina, who is used to improof Groudon, needs to tank two ice hammers before being able to recover.
For the last slot, I usually run switcheroo, to be able to get rid of the scarf if I don't need it, which also allows me to cripple an annoying opposing pokemon like Normalize Gengar or any wall.

Power Star (Solgaleo) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Nuzzle
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Core Enforcer
Solgaleo is a classical RegenVest Pivot with a pretty standard moveset, altough Core Enforcer may seem unusual, but allows me to supress Kyogre's Poison Heal without having to fear Ice Beam, as my other Core Enforcer user is Giratina. Sunsteel Strike to kill impostered Diancies may be possible too, but has no other uses on a support mon like Solgaleo, which is built to come in, sponge a hit, cripple the opponent with Koff or Nuzzle and pivot out into another pokemon.
Running minimum speed may be suboptimal when facing an opposing MagPuller, but also allows me to kill or at least severely weaken an opposing imposter when it transforms into Solgaleo even when the opposing imposter is scarfed and Groudon has its scarf tricked away.

Luigi's Nightmare (Giratina) @ Darkinium Z / Griseous Orb
Ability: Fur Coat
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Defog
- Parting Shot / U-turn
- Core Enforcer
- Shore Up

Thanks to fur coat, it is one of the best physical walls in the game. It not only improofs my own PDon, it also is a reliable switchin against opposing PDons, taking only little damage from their attacks. Because Core Enforcer only works when being slower than the opponent and because a slow pivot helps me with gaining momentum, I run minimum speed with a sassy nature.
I usually run Darikinium Z with Parting Shot to be able to heal one of my mons in an emergency situation, but a Griseous Orb gan be used too to power up Core Enforcer so that it 2HKOes opposing Giratinas and does noticeably more damage against other mons. When running Griseous Orb, U-turn is preferred due to it not having any immunity - Parting Shot is blocked by both Magic Bounce and Soundproof - and because it breaks sashes, which can be useful when going for a revenge kill with the imposter.

Defog is for removing hazards, without being blocked by ghost types. In my former teams, I had Rapid Spin, but always got spinblocked by opposing Giratinas and Aegislashes, so that I switched to defog.
Parting Shot or U-turn is a necessary pivot for gaining momentum and scouting opposing switches.
Core Enforcer supresses the opponent's ability, which is needed to counter poison healers like Regigigas. Thanks to its bulk, Giratina can simply ignore Regigigas' Spore and go for the core enforcer as soon as it wakes up.
Shore Up finally provides Recovy, so that Giratina can stay healthy throughout the match.

Chain Chomp (Gyarados-Mega) @ Safety Goggles / Choice Band
Ability: Unaware
Careful Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Power Trip / Pursuit
- Recover
- Baton Pass / Switcheroo

Because I also need something to deal with opposing sweepers, I chose an Unaware Gyarados. Its unique typing gives it some annoying weaknesses, but is the best typing for an Unaware user, as Gyarados resists both Moongeist and Sunsteel, and resists Power Trip while being immune to Stored Power and has the bulk to survive strong super-effective hits. It also has STAB Power Trip to start a sweep on its own after stealing boosts and improofs itself, as it can steal the imposter's boosts and can't hurt my team without boosts.

Spectral Thief steals the victim's boosts while dealing some damage, and bypasses occasional substitutes, so that it stops opposing sweepers reliably.
Power Trip gets stronger with each additional stat boost, and allows Gyarados to attempt a sweep on its own.
Recover is for healing, which is necessary after tanking strong hits to steal the opponent's boosts.
Baton Pass not only is a pivot option for gaining momentum, but also allows me to pass stolen stat boosts to another mon, most notably Diancie or PDon for a possible sweep.

A Choice Band can be used over Safety Goggles for more offensive power without having to steal boosts, which is especially nice when running pursuit to trap things like Specs MMY, Giratina or Aegislash - the only steel mon which can't be trapped by Groudon thanks to its Ghost typing - as without a band, Gyarados lacks the power to OHKO Mewtwo from full health. When running a choice band, Switcheroo in the last slot over Baton Pass is recommended, as it allows Gyarados to get rid of the choice band if needed, and also makes Gyarados a decent Normalize Gengar counter, as it can switch into any of its attacks safely thanks to unaware, and then cripple Gengar with Switcheroo.

Bob-omb Buddy (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Whirlwind
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy

Finally, there's a pretty standard scarfed imposter Blissey. Thanks to the scarf, it never loses a "speed tie" - except against Unburden users, but Gyarados takes care of them. It lacks eviolite Chansey's bulk, but because it always attacks first, it doesn't need to sponge that much hits and still is bulky enough to switch into neutral or resisted hits multiple times.

Trick allows me to get rid of the scarf against stall teams against which I don't need to win "speed ties", and allows me to cripple an opposing mon.
Whirlwind phazes substitute users out, which would otherwise be annoying.
Soft-Boiled allows Blissey to recover health whithout having to transform into a pokemon with a recovery move, and Aromatherapy heals oterhwise annoying status conditions like burns or poisonings.

Chansey instead of Blissey is an interesting alternative, as it makes the scarf less obvious, also allowing me to bluff an eviolite and then surprise the opponents with outspeeding their scarfed mon.

Chain Chomp (Gyarados-Mega) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
Careful Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Power Trip
- Recover
- Baton Pass

Bowser (Groudon-Primal) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Thousand Arrows
- Stealth Rock
- Switcheroo

Princess Peach (Diancie-Mega) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Boomburst
- Extreme Speed
- Shell Smash

Power Star (Solgaleo) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Nuzzle
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Core Enforcer

Bob-omb Buddy (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Whirlwind
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy

Luigi's Nightmare (Giratina) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Defog
- Parting Shot
- Core Enforcer
- Shore Up

PS: Yes, I'm a Super Mario fan, and yes, Blissey's nickname comes from the Innards Out era :D

Last edited:
I would suggest using Chansey > Blissey, even with scarf. It can bluff more items than Blissey, such as Eviolite ofc, Lucky Punch, Scarf, and even some weirder ones like Red Card, Safety Goggles, or a plate, where Blissey cannot use the first two. If your opponent sees an imposter Blissey they will most likely think it is Scarf, but with Chansey it could easily be at least Eviolite. And yes, Blissey does have more hp, but it is literally 714 compared to Chansey's 704 at lvl 100, which is not much of a difference.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Minor detail, but give 200 Speed to your Solgaleo and give it Careful nature, so that Impostered Groudon won't trap and kill your Solgaleo; in other words, such investment lets your Solgaleo outspeed Adamant Primal Groudon.

FYI Jolly Ice Hammer still OHKOes Mega Rayquaza, and looks like a good team overall except your team has no switch-in for Specs Aerilate Mega Ray once your Solgaleo is down.

Last edited:
I would suggest using Chansey > Blissey, even with scarf. It can bluff more items than Blissey, such as Eviolite ofc, Lucky Punch, Scarf, and even some weirder ones like Red Card, Safety Goggles, or a plate, where Blissey cannot use the first two. If your opponent sees an imposter Blissey they will most likely think it is Scarf, but with Chansey it could easily be at least Eviolite. And yes, Blissey does have more hp, but it is literally 714 compared to Chansey's 704 at lvl 100, which is not much of a difference.
Thanks for the suggestion. I used Scarf Chansey before, but found out that it was too fragile to switch into subs/opposing imposters, while Blissey can do this better due to the higher bulk. So both are fine in my opinion :)
Another advantage of Chansey is that it profits from eviolites it obtains when tricking the scarf onto an opposing imposter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)