Battle Tree Discussion and Records

The main use is that you get tons of FP and some Rare Candies. One RC per set early and 2 RC per set after 20.
I meant there was no real reason for them to have level scaling. They should maybe offer less gimmicky sets or whatever, but straight up higher level Pokemon just makes it arbitrarily difficult and lowers stratergy, since you are limited in which people you can feasibly use Pokemon from. :/

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Public service announcement: I have noticed that the same problem that plagued the QR3 has also affected the Q.R.T.O.O. So, for the time being, I'm shutting that down except for the PGL sample teams at the very bottom of the listing, as those work fine. I will probably be wiping that entirely and starting fresh with USUM QR teams, as the availability of tutors and new 'mons should mean that the quality of non-Smogon-produced teams should go up by a few arbitrary points by default.

I will begin seeking these USUM QRs out very soon, sometime this week most likely.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
So after I got to the Battle Tree in Ultra Sun, I started putting a revised form of the Aron team I used a while back to work:

(M) @
, Relaxed, Pressure
EVs: 252|0|4|0|252|0 / IVs: 31/30/31/31/31/0
Night Shade | Brick Break | Pain Split | Trick Room

(F) @
, Bold, Sturdy
Lv.1 Stats: 12|5|7|5|5|5
Endeavor | Protect | Toxic | Iron Head

(M) @
, Quiet, Pixilate
EVs: 252|0|4|252|0|0 / IVs: 31|0|31|31|31|0
Hyper Voice | Psyshock | Shadow Ball | Swift

(M) @
, Brave, Intimidate
EVs: 252|252|0|0|4|0 / IVs: 31|31|31|xx|31|0
Fake Out | High Jump Kick | Crunch | Detect

The main edits I made were changing the Trick Room setter and Scrafty's held item. Hitmontop was used briefly on a separate run in Pokemon Sun, but wasn't as good as I had hoped; it did help with my old team's Fighting-type weakness, but introduced a new issue in the form of being just a bit too fast. Needless to say, it was out. I went ahead and started breeding for a Dusclops to use in place of Porygon2 to rectify the Fighting-type weakness, while putting Scrafty back on the team carrying Darkinium Z instead. Dusclops helped quite a bit, mainly in the form of being extremely slow and, much like P2, extremely bulky. Darkinium Z Scrafty is a major help for lots of Bullshit Powder Bright Powder carriers/Double Team users like Latias and Cresselia; those two used to be real pains given the resistance to All-Out Pummeling (and, in Cresselia's case, barely taking anything from Sylveon's Swift). Dusclops EVs are best explained by laziness.

Problems that definitely still exist: Z-moves and Scizor (also Skarmory to a lesser extent; mainly have a hard time handling Steels that don't have a Fighting weakness). Not a whole lot to do about Z-moves; those nerfed Aron hard and there's really not anything that Aron teams can do about that. I'm currently considering replacing either Sylveon or Scrafty with something with either Fire-type STAB or a decently powered Fire-type attack that would better equip the team against Pokemon like Scizor and Skarmory, as I currently depend a little too much on Endeavor to deal with those. Alternatively, breeding a Hidden Power Fire Sylveon would help, although HP Fire is a bit on the side of "really really weak." I might just do that, especially seeing as Shadow Ball hasn't seen any use as of yet.

I already got this team to 50 wins in Super Doubles and am now trying to bring it past my old record.
So, about that.... 240 wins and It's over.

Oops. I tried.

So what did me in? Sina? Wally? Walrein4? A double critflinch?

No. Two Taunt leads.

NEPW-WWWW-WWWA-E5DT (USUM replay)

I could have played this better (I keep forgetting that Brick Break is a thing and maybe I shouldn't have been naive enough to think FO would KO), but still, I expected to get ruined by a walrus or something.

Also, edits made to this team since the last post:

(M) @
, Quiet, Pixilate
EVs: 252|0|4|252|0|0 / IVs: HT|0|31|HT|HT|0
Hyper Voice | Psyshock | Hidden Power Fire | Swift

(M) @
, Brave, Intimidate
EVs: 252|252|0|0|4|0 / IVs: 31|31|31|xx|31|0
Fake Out | Drain Punch | Throat Chop | Detect

I realized in the USUM tutors that Scrafty now gets Throat Chop. I have no idea what I had been doing. The way I see it, Throat Chop might help in a situational circumstance (Perish Trap, maybe), while a possible Defense drop from Crunch probably won't make much of a difference (both moves have the same PP and Base Power). Also, Drain Punch because 1) HJK misses suck and 2) Longevity. Meanwhile, Hidden Power Fire saw plenty more use on Sylveon than Shadow Ball ever did. What's a Scizor?

Anyway, I can get more replays later; I'm filtering through all of my saved battles to see which ones are worth sharing (most of them are standard Aron stuff, but I remember saving some good stuff... And some goofs. I just have to go through them. I'll edit this post when I find stuff worth sharing.) For now, here's a link for the QR Rental Team for this team, in case any of you wanted to try it out: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/usum/BT-491B-AC71

EDIT: Replays!

#102: SGMG-WWWW-WWWA-ESLE (How to switch Scrafty in: Do anything but this)
#118: HMMW-WWWW-WWWA-ESFF (Here's a good, non-evasion-related reason to have Swift)
#119: CA5G-WWWW-WWWA-ES9G (I saw Haxorus3 earlier in my run and almost false started, didn't have access to set list for this battle and overcorrected. I think it paid off, though)
#135: JCDG-WWWW-WWWA-ES4N (Sometimes, Aron survives for a whole match and it's satisfying)
#140: TZ8G-WWWW-WWWA-ES42 (I think I should be more scared of Wally than I am)
#153: Y52G-WWWW-WWWA-ES36 (PANIC MODE ENGA - oh okay we're clear)

Last edited:
Has anyone else thought about using Mind Blown-Blacephalon with Tailwind in Doubles? For example starting with Whimsicott and something like Mega Bastoise, setting Tailwind and Protect/Water Spout in the first turn, and at occasion bring Blacephalon to pick up damaged Mons (and maybe Whimsi) to get two or three Beast Boosts and outspeed anything. Still many problems to figure out, but to me it seems worthy to give it a chance.

Excessive amount of setup required for that.

Blace is something I intend to try, but really feels like a scarf or sash poke (expecially considerin it's weak to sucker punch)

One Priority move, thats the whole setup.
If you play Sash you cant play Mind Blown. Edit: Bad choice of words. But in many situations the Sash gets useless. (Dies Blace at 1HP using Mind Blown?)
I think Life Orb is a good choice, OHKOing for example any Latios set with shadowball. And with Mind Blown constantly decreasing HP the recoil doesnt matter.
Scarf seems like a good option, too.
And yes, SE priority is its almost certain death, appearing also as aqua jet and shadow sneak.

Last edited:
Reasoning for sash is that if there's no negation of priority it istadies to scarfers and priority. Doesnt really make Mindblown useless.

TIL that when two pokes both use Protect, the slower one automatically fails and gets to use it again. I'm sure most singles players knew this, but I just did not find myself in that situation before. This nuance ended up being my lifeline because it was the only way I could defeat a Medicham4 unscathed with my Scrafty4, as otherwise it'd easily steamroll anything I had.

For reasons I don't understand M-Medicham would alternate between Detect and HJK, and the auto failures of my own Protects enabled me to keep mine fresh and force it to kill itself. It took me a failed battle to attempt this, and the AI behavior never changed, which is why it worked.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
Anyway, I can get more replays later; I'm filtering through all of my saved battles to see which ones are worth sharing (most of them are standard Aron stuff, but I remember saving some good stuff... And some goofs. I just have to go through them. I'll edit this post when I find stuff worth sharing.) For now, here's a link for the QR Rental Team for this team, in case any of you wanted to try it out: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/usum/BT-491B-AC71
Congratulations to AZ for forming the starting point of our addition to the existing QR databases; the QR-UNO is now open for business! This will serve as the USUM-specific listing for the QR teams shared on this thread. The QR3 will remain as our SM-specific listing.

QR-UNO Here-->http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-tree-discussion-and-records.3587215/page-118#post-7584899<--QR-UNO Here

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
TIL that when two pokes both use Protect, the slower one automatically fails and gets to use it again. I'm sure most singles players knew this, but I just did not find myself in that situation before. This nuance ended up being my lifeline because it was the only way I could defeat a Medicham4 unscathed with my Scrafty4, as otherwise it'd easily steamroll anything I had.

For reasons I don't understand M-Medicham would alternate between Detect and HJK, and the auto failures of my own Protects enabled me to keep mine fresh and force it to kill itself. It took me a failed battle to attempt this, and the AI behavior never changed, which is why it worked.
I think the automatic failure happens if no other Pokémon on the field moves after the user's Protect (it's the last move on the turn and can no longer potentially block anything) - it'll also happen if a slow Pokémon gets Encored into Protect and uses it last with no priority, and on the last Pokémon moving if all four Pokémon on the field use Protect or a higher-priority move in Doubles.

Got a team:

Salazzle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
Corrosion
252 Spa/ 252 Spe. / 4 Sp. Def
Sludge Bomb
Flamethrower
Nasty Plot
Dragon Pulse

Slapamence @ Slapamencite
Jolly Nature
Intimidate
252 Attack / 252 Spe. / 4 Def
Return
Earthquake
Dragon Dance
Shadow Claw

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
Regenerator
252 Def. / 252 HP / 4 SpA.
Scald
Protect
Toxic
Recover

Plz provide ideas for this (Slapamence for the LoLs)

Considering you are already running Toxic and both your other pokes can tecnically easily deal with poison types, what about using Knock Off instead of Scald for Toxapex. Get rid of those Choice scarfs or Leftovers ?

Got a team:

Salazzle @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
Corrosion
252 Spa/ 252 Spe. / 4 Sp. Def
Sludge Bomb
Flamethrower
Nasty Plot
Dragon Pulse

Slapamence @ Slapamencite
Jolly Nature
Intimidate
252 Attack / 252 Spe. / 4 Def
Return
Earthquake
Dragon Dance
Shadow Claw

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
Regenerator
252 Def. / 252 HP / 4 SpA.
Scald
Protect
Toxic
Recover

Plz provide ideas for this (Slapamence for the LoLs)

Dangerous against ground type teams if something happens to Salamence. For Toxapex I’d suggest haze over protect, it does wonders against anyone trying to set up

To be honest as much as Haze sounds good, it really is not. By the time you send Toxapex in and cast Haze you are at risk of being just attacked and killed right away if the enemy got 1-2 stacks off.

Salamence also *needs* to run at least substitute in order to be able to eat status / pp stall / be failsafe against 1hko users.

Toxapex is *extremely* passive.

I do not recommend using it in doubles at all to begin with, unless you REALLY REALLY need the role compression it offers. This coming from me using Toxapex for my first 100+ streak.
There's better stallers, and far better bulky waters and poison types for tree purpose that aren't complete deadweight outside of being tanky.

Toxapex is *extremely* passive.

I do not recommend using it in doubles at all to begin with, unless you REALLY REALLY need the role compression it offers. This coming from me using Toxapex for my first 100+ streak.
There's better stallers, and far better bulky waters and poison types for tree purpose that aren't complete deadweight outside of being tanky.
While I also don't recommend using it in doubles, either as a supporter or an attacker, I did have a really fun and interesting little stint with Weakness Policy Toxapex.

Believe me, it fucking sucks even simply making it last 50 battles. But it's pretty easy to get the +2, and Baneful Bunker allows it to activate Weakness Policy through Z-moves. Now and then, the AI even charges headlong into the bunker, poisoning themselves and getting the Merciless crits as well. Needless to say, I considered the experiment ultimately a failure... I've used a lot of good mons in bad ways, and offensive Toxapex might not be the worst thing I've ever done, but it's up there. I still want to try it some more, but not in a format like doubles where everyone is still too important. Trips, I can survive with some deadweight.

One more thing: you guys know if Synchronize affects an SOS pokemon's ability? I think it might only be the turn it comes in

Correct, it's strictly for the first poke. Synchronize only has value for sitting pokes and gifts.

For some asinine reason Type Null is shoved into your box whether you like the outcome or not, but I guess that was the point of SRing the original game for the nature you wanted. And this time around I'm sure most people care more about Poipole.

One more thing: you guys know if Synchronize affects an SOS pokemon's ability? I think it might only be the turn it comes in
You can do a little trick to sync sos, you get your sync KOd *before* battle so its still in first place. Level 1 abras/ralts are quite good for this purpose.

Whoa, that actually works?! All this time I just took it at face value... geez. I did a considerable amount of Ditto farming last christmas, because that's how I got the tools to make a small number of pokes (namely Drampa and Alolan Marowak) before Bank was updated. Wish I knew that back then...

Anyway, could someone keep an eye out for something I'm looking to corroborate? I very recently witnessed a Walrein4 attempt to Sheer Cold an Ice type (Crabominable4 in this case) when both of them lead. Walrein had no reason not to use Fissure, as it wasn't movelocked. I'm wondering if maybe they didn't program the AI's knowledge of this change to the type effectiveness, because it's been the same for so long. Hell, our pal fatty has kept that fucking set for three gens and I fully expect Walrein4 to return in VIII.

While one might say that the AI displays questionable behavior in the Agency, that really stopped being a thing way back at rank 8 or 9; at 43 they certainly try to kill you immediately with their optimal move and play like they do in the tree. The dumbest thing any of them did was activate TR when they had a clean KO... against the very Crabby I mentioned earlier. Crab4 is a shitmon but very pleasantly surprised with how it held up. Rain is preset and so multiple enemies opted not to use fire attacks, and I fought two Scientists in a row, the second of whom Crabby nearly swept by itself. I had this guy as my lead for all five rounds of this streak, and while it almost never did more than KO the first enemy, that was good enough for me (lv100 specs Latios and lv100 Mow Rotom3 make easy cleanup.)

For someone who likes breeding copies of Maison sets, the agency will be a wet dream for Smuckem.

Last edited:
Whoa, that actually works?! All this time I just took it at face value... geez. I did a considerable amount of Ditto farming last christmas, because that's how I got the tools to make a small number of pokes (namely Drampa and Alolan Marowak) before Bank was updated. Wish I knew that back then...

Anyway, could someone keep an eye out for something I'm looking to corroborate? I very recently witnessed a Walrein4 attempt to Sheer Cold an Ice type (Crabominable4 in this case) when both of them lead. Walrein had no reason not to use Fissure, as it wasn't movelocked. I'm wondering if maybe they didn't program the AI's knowledge of this change to the type effectiveness, because it's been the same for so long. Hell, our pal fatty has kept that fucking set for three gens and I fully expect Walrein4 to return in VIII.
Yes I noted this a while back with Glalie. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-tree-discussion-and-records.3587215/page-76#post-7293831

In that particular battle it was Articuno but Walrein has also attempted Sheer Cold before it's used all 5 Fissures.

Last edited:
So looks pretty clear the AI was not updated to know that sheer cold autofails against Ice types, in similar fashion that as far as I know it still attempts to Trick ORAS megastones.

....still does not justify using ice types though :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)