Battle Spot Premier League - Announcement and Manager Sign-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to the first ever Battle Spot Premier League! This is the first team tournament to involve Battle Spot on this site, and it will last until the week before the release of Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon! The schedule of the tournament is as follows:

Sep 16-23: BSPL Announcement/Manager signups
Sep 23-30: Player Signups/Managers get decided on 23rd
Sep 25: Explanations to managers and mock draft
Sep 30-Oct 2: Player Signups end and Draft happens on one of these days
Oct 2-9: Week 1
Oct 9-16: Week 2
Oct 16-23: Week 3
Oct 23-30: Week 4
Oct 30-Nov 6: Week 5
Nov 6 -13: Finals

The number of formats that will be played is still subject to change (mostly dependent on the number of player sign-ups), but the types of formats will be the following:
  • Battle Spot Singles: Bring 6 choose 3 single battle format.
  • Battle Spot Doubles: Bring 6 choose 4 double battle format (VGC 2015).
  • [Gen 5] GBU Singles: Bring 6 choose 3 single battle format in generation 5.
The following items are banned:
  • Soul Dew
The following Pokémon are banned (all forms):
  • Mewtwo
  • Mew
  • Lugia
  • Ho-oh
  • Celebi
  • Kyogre
  • Groudon
  • Rayquaza
  • Jirachi
  • Deoxys
  • Chatot (GEN 5 ONLY)
  • Dialga
  • Palkia
  • Giratina
  • Phione
  • Manaphy
  • Darkrai
  • Shaymin
  • Arceus
  • Victini
  • Reshiram
  • Zekrom
  • Kyurem
  • Keldeo
  • Meloetta
  • Genesect
  • Xerneas
  • Yveltal
  • Zygarde
  • Diancie
  • Hoopa
  • Volcanion
The following moves are banned in Generation 5.
  • Dark Void
  • Sky Drop

Metagame Rules
  • Pokémon above Level 50 will be brought down to 50 for the match while those below 50 will stay as is.
  • Pentagon Rule: All Pokémon must have sets available via being caught, bred, or received as an official gift in Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, or Alpha Sapphire (i.e. no past-gen event exclusive Pokémon, no past-gen exclusive tutor/TM moves, etc.) *NOTE: Does not apply to GBU in Generation 5.
  • Species Clause: No two Pokémon on your team can share the same Pokédex number.
  • Item Clause: No two Pokémon on your team can hold the same held item.

All battles will be held on Pokemon Showdown.

General tournament rules apply. However, any form of timeout whether it be a disconnection or actual timeout will result in a loss. This is due to players not bringing all 6 Pokemon at team preview, which makes accurate match recreation impossible in a lot of cases. If you REALLY want to grant your opponent a rematch, just don't tell me about the match where the timeout happened.

[For aspiring managers]

As seen in the schedule, manager sign-ups will close on September 23. There are only 6 teams, so only 6 of you will be selected. Do NOT sign up if you cannot commit for the duration of the entire tournament.

Managers will be responsible for the following things throughout this period:
  • Drafting their team. Each team will have a budget to pay for players, and managers will need to understand how a draft works. I will organize a mock draft during the player sign-ups week for managers who are not familiar with the process. The draft will take place on #battlespot on IRC. Managers are allowed to draft themselves as players for 10k.
  • Sending me the roster for the following week by the deadline each week (SUN 22:59 EST, so I at least have time to post it for the next week). Failure to do so will result in your team using the same roster, and failing multiple times may result in you being barred from participating in future Battle Spot tournaments.
  • Making sure your team is active and subbing out inactive players when necessary.
  • Maintaining a competitive attitude even if your team gets removed from playoff contention.
If you want to sign-up as a manager, please post in this thread with the following information:
Username:
Team name:
Availability:
Why you would make a good manager:
If you are selected as a manager, make a cool logo for your team during player sign-ups!

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Username: cant say
Team name: Castelia Caveliers
Availability: weekends from 8th October onwards are bad for me. some I'll be free, some I will not.
Why you would make a good manager: I won our official wifi tour so I guess that's an example of my tournament experience. I've also been co-leading this forum with Hulavuta for almost two years if that counts for anything.

Username: NOVED
Team name: Rustboro Rocky Helmets
Availability: im pretty much always available whenever im not at work, so no issues
Why you would make a good manager: I quite like battle spot (edit: serious reason: I've been part of the BS community for a while now. Im familiar with almost all the active players, old and new.)

Last edited:

kaori

Fully Automated Gay Space Communism
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Username: SamVGC
Team name: Rustboro Baptist Church / Saffron Side-Pups
Availability: I work and do school but I'm around a lot and have Sundays and Mondays completely free usually
Why I would make a good manager: kamikaze asked me to, and also I've played a lot of the Battle Spot formats. Have some experience managing team tours as well (see: NPA)

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Username: Psynergy
Team name: Fallarbor Flare Blitzers
Availability: The semester is keeping me relatively busy but I check in very regularly. Early October might be sketchy for a few days though.
Why you would make a good manager: In to beat SamVGC. Also placed 4th and 1st in the most 'recent' BSS tours so I've got the experience, and I'm pretty familiar with a lot of users around here. Pretty level-headed about luck determining games too which is super important in these formats.

Username: GroudonEmpire
Team name: Viridian Rhydons
Availability: I have fewer than 2 hours for Pokemon per week. A week before and during exam weeks, same availability but no flexibility as during these times I'm pretty much random such as right now at what is currently past 4am where I'm at.
Why you would make a good manager: For starters, x+1 is greater than x. Need a manager? You got a manager in me. As for other reasons, I'd say my relationship with Battle Spot Single is more intimate than couples that have more than a handful of children. I've also messed around with the other Battle Spot formats. I love to theorymon more than I like to play which I believe would make managing especially fun or at least interesting and FRESH!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Username: Hulavuta
Team name: Goldenrod Gengars
Availability: I make time when I need it. Generally I have time in blocks of hours so I can just take a chunk of a day to do something. Free almost every day except for a few hours.
Why you would make a good manager: I am pretty good at organizing things, I organized the Wi-Fi tournament that went on without a hitch despite a cheating dispute. I mod this forum too and I am a good people person, I listen to everyone and am fair. I know most of the BS players and their strengths and weaknesses. I am a master of empathy. Also I love memes so my team will be the most fun. My memes are stronger than cant say's.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's all folks! We were able to get 6 managers!

Castelia Cavaliers managed by cant say
Rustboro Rocky Helmets managed by NOVED
Saffron Side-Pups managed by SamVGC
Fallarbor Flare Blitzers managed by Psynergy
Viridian Rhydons managed by GroudonEmpire
Goldenrod Gengars managed by Hulavuta

Please welcome the managers for this season! Player signups will be posted shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)