Battle has started! Chou Toshio v. panamaxis

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, you've never misplayed in a match before? Hax has never occured in a match before? As people have said, you are overreacting to some of the flaws. To be honest after some of the bile that gets spewed out on this forum its refreshing to see a good warstory. It certainly isn;t the best but come on guys stop bashing on it for no reason.

From my stand point, these are just fades started over the years by n00bs who needed to be flashy to obscure a lack of real content. Or, when done by really good writers were just a nice plus-- the real content, the real warstory, is in the content and warstory.
This.

Hater's gonna hate. Chou, Panamaxis, you guys battled well. Sweeps happen, hax happens, but getting there is what matters. All the bitching made me want to post.

So, you've never misplayed in a match before? Hax has never occured in a match before? As people have said, you are overreacting to some of the flaws. To be honest after some of the bile that gets spewed out on this forum its refreshing to see a good warstory. It certainly isn;t the best but come on guys stop bashing on it for no reason.

We're coming to the 4th page and most of you guys still haven't got the main point. The main point is not the flaws the battle had, but the fact that in order posts of less experienced players many raters go and and crucify the guy for the same mistakes that are present here.

However, in this warstory people ignore the same points they claim to be so important and give an almost flawless rate (8, 9 even 10). This simply does not make sense and creates an environment of prejudice against less experienced players.

If you guys still think I'm a pure hater a can quote other posts slaming guys for a battle full of misplays, hax and lack of percentages and also the rate that was given.

We're coming to the 4th page and most of you guys still haven't got the main point. The main point is not the flaws the battle had, but the fact that in order posts of less experienced players many raters go and and crucify the guy for the same mistakes that are present here.

However, in this warstory people ignore the same points they claim to be so important and give an almost flawless rate (8, 9 even 10). This simply does not make sense and creates an environment of prejudice against less experienced players.

If you guys still think I'm a pure hater a can quote other posts slaming guys for a battle full of misplays, hax and lack of percentages and also the rate that was given.
Quite MajorGambit. To those posting to express their views that those complaining about the warstory were unjustified, please read through the whole conversation before doing so and you will see that this is not the case, and that Chou agrees with the above post to some extent - namely about prejudice towards warstory writers.

lol you guys both misplayed a bunch XD

Good one nonetheless. I liked how you set up the sweep pana. lol I see even chou realised that he needed to keep gliscor alive. Pana, you really gotta learn to pay more attention to the team reveal though :/

It was a nice read/battle. True there were a couple of misplays (but people make mistakes) but the commentary, the thought behind most turns was very good, and story was well written. 8/10 One of the best war stories in Gen V so far

this got 8/10 NOT because theyre top players. If some so called top players post suck crap battle it will get bad rating but this one's different. Aside from formatting, some misplay craps, this battle IS good. The plays that made by pana and chou really on a different level that most of us do in daily battles and THAT overshadow the flaw a lot.
Yes he do misplay but his prediction and plays throughout the match is good, and falling to the others plan (which happen to chou) isnt exactly bad especialy considering chou's plays have made pana have hard time at doing his plans.

7/10 due to misplay, hax doesnt matter lot. Otherwise its a good warstory

I haven't commented much (if at all) on Gen 5 warstories since I don't play them, but this battle - and the fighting that came with it, to be frank - caught my eye.

I think this was a reasonably good warstory. It had some interesting points and some funny moments (Lol @ panamaxis thinking Breloom using Spore on Xatu was part of some grand plan to capitalize on an equally unexpected switch ... I think the same kind of thoughts too sometimes, way overestimating things there.). The writing was superb on both sides. Although I don't think anyone can claim that this was an excellent battle, both players wrote excellent commentary and kept the warstory interesting.

A few more thoughts:

1. I think Chou should be braver and uncheck the "within 200 rating" box. Honest. I'm not playing 5th gen right now so I have no choice but to uncheck it, but even if I were playing 5th gen I'd uncheck it just so I had the chance to play the best players. Only time I'd check it is if I'm so high up the rating list that I get battles that go something like +0 -31, which is stupid. Someone suggest to the programmers that all battles should give a minimum of +1 rating a win ...

2. Doesn't Stone Edge fail to hit a Roosting Salamence SE? It certainly didn't in 4th gen. What, then, would be the point of using it over Crunch? Higher base power maybe, but also less accuracy ...

3. Percentages would've been really helpful. I know Chou said things like "don't comment if you've never written a warstory" or some variation thereof, but that doesn't matter. I haven't actually posted a warstory, but I have written two, and I know how long it takes. Even without going into big detail like all the comments in this warstory and even without doing dual-commentary, it took well over 3 hours to write. But I think all this doesn't matter; there are some things you simply cannot do without in a warstory. A warstory without the log isn't a warstory, for example. A warstory without percentages is still readable, but when I wonder things like "how much health does Gliscor have now, can it still check Skymin?" or "how did Tyranitar take so much damage from Salamence's Earthquake yet Chou still saved it considering the hazards on the field", then that's losing the track. Sprites I can do without - Pokemon is largely a text-based game. But some idea of how much health a Pokemon had left would've been really helpful.

4. Small suggestion here to Chou, if Sand Veil hax is the only thing that can keep you from losing, you might want to switch Garchomp in first. That way, if Sand Veil does indeed kick in, you still have other Pokemon to use. As it is, even if Sand Veil did miss, you would've lost [I think ... I don't know how much health Nattorei had left ...].

Thanks for writing the warstory, always nice to read them and hope there are more to come.

I just got around to reading this again and apparently my current team is like 2/3 similiar to panamaxis'. Who knew.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to find a use for Xatu now.

Now, we know the obvious mistakes, and they do detract from the warstory, but when I look at the bigger picture, I see some great commentary. In reality, that's all that matters. I don't care how close the ending result is as long as the road to get there was good. In this story, it was. A warstory exists purely to show thought processes of intelligent players in a competitive environment. Sometimes we need to be reminded of that. Nice warstory guys.

What annoys most here is that many players post their warstories and are trolled to death due to the lack of percentages, sprites and presence of hax.

Just because two (or one) notable player takes part in the warstory, despite the presence of the same mistakes so enphasized on other WSs, people come here and say it is briilant. well written, nice match.

The comments are indeed good, but this is far from a good warstory. People keep pointing how the lack of sprites and percentages disturb the reading, but they do not seem to care about this on that specific warstory. I wonder why...
Many of these players, who posts warstories without the percentages, sprites etc, and are normally "trolled to death", usually post crappy, uninteresting Warstories.

This warstory, however, clearly praises the battle and not little details ( Chou even says that he did not put percentages because he didn't want to). so please, stop defending the shitty warstories, because it is impossible to compare this warstory with these ones that you mention.

Great, entertaining warstory!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)