SM OU Balancedish team that hit 1750ish rating in showdown and made a tournament finals

Would have won too if I hadn't rolled low on sucker punch. :X shut up im not salty. Link if you want to see me get rngd to a loss- https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-662950924

Well anyway onto the team.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Drain Punch

So I don't think this team has a true core, but it does kind of have two semi-cores.

The first one is pretty obvious. Tapu Koko+hawlucha. It's a pretty clear cut strategy that everyone knows, but with enough setup and rocks support it can run over even well prepared teams. (in case anyone doesn't know unburden doubles hawluchas speed when it switches into electric terrain with electric seed and gives it a defense boost). I chose evs to give hawlucha enough speed to break past the base 100 speed tier, since it honestly isn't going to be outspeeding greninjas, tapu kokos, and mega lopunny anyway, but I still want it to be useful without tapu koko. Tapu koko itself provides an answer to celesteela, toxapex, and the other tapus. I have experimented with u-turn over volt switch so that i can't be blocked by ground types and it's pretty good. But realistically that ground type is gonna be lando 90% of the time and i just hp-ice if i predict that so i prefer the damage from volt switch.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

The other semi-core is Lando-Chansey. I've dubbed this Chansorus, because it sounds like Cancerous, which is a pretty apt description. This honestly seems like a defensive core that is almost as good as skarm-bliss was in older gens. Lando brings intimidate, is an absurd defensive pivot, and it being a a swiss army knife pokemon puts ridiculous pressure on the other team. They have to assume you're running band/scarf/etc which you can totally use to your advantage to bluff and get switches and kos you really shouldn't get. Chansey is just straight busted as a wall imo. With arena trap banned, there's usually only 1 or 2 pokemon that can deal with chansey on any team. If you can get rid of them, chansey will just auto win a lot of games. Having a second rocks setter is great too.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

So the last two just round out the team. Mega mawile is my answer to any wall since it can't be poisoned and can set up in their face. Intimidate is also just straight up better than hyper cutter so don't run that. After 1 boost sucker punch gets kos on most squishies, and two boosts mean you can sucker punch any squishy and play rough/knock off any wall and ohko. It's also fairly tanky so it can usually tank any physical hits lando can't deal with.

Greninja is the last pokemon and it's a pretty standard protean set. U-turn for pivoting, ice beam cause ice beam. The last two moves are a little unconventional maybe though. Hp-fire is usually unexpected on gren but gets a stab boost which means you can pick up unexpected kos on ferrothorn and mega-scizor who usually won't switch out against you. Sometimes they'll even switch into you. As for the last slot I chose dark pulse because i think it's better than hydro pump. 80 expected power vs 88 is a marginal difference, and you can often cheese out wins with flinching. Plus when people see gren they 100% assume you have a water move anyway so you can just bluff it. Spikes may be good too, but honestly i think you have to rely to hard on predictions to set them up, and I don't like getting ko'd for free when someone predicts my predictions.

Some general notes. I don't run any hazard removal because i don't have any pokemon that are particularly weakened significantly by hazards. Some pokes I've had trouble with are Celesteela when tapu koko is out, and most recently naganadel who seems to demolish me if it gets two speed boosts. Sticky web is also difficult to deal with, but I find it's uncommon enough that I don't have to worry about it.

Some pokemon I've gotten questions about in the past

Gyarados/mega-gyarados- Save mega evolution on mawile, when gyarados switches in, switch to Mawile while it dances to get intimidate off. Oneshot next turn with play rough since you survive earthquake from an unboosted gyarados.

Naganadel- Switch to chansey, use seismic toss till naganadel is at x3. Switch the mega-mawile to negate devastating drake if they do use it, and it's whatever if they don't. Then spam sucker punch and pick up the KO.

Scarf Lando- Either pray it doesn't have knock off and wall it with chansey, or try to get a knock off onto it with mawile when it switches in. Can also conditionally beat it with my Lando.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)