Bad Luck You've Had So Far

Battling in RU on showdown. I swapped my cofagrigus into a poliwrath (expecting a fighting move), but it went for metronome, got knock off, got a crit. Next turn it goes for metronome again, gets bite, and gets the flinch. Next turn, it goes for metronome once more, gets shadow sneak, and kills my cofagrigus.

I am still not even mad, just mildly shocked. What are the odds of that actually happening??

I also lost my first shiny in X (a geodude) to his fellow horde brothers' agressive spam of magnitude. RIP. They killed him before I could catch him X.X

I missed four Focus Blasts in a row once, and it cost me the battle. I wasn't mad though, just utterly baffled.

ever heard of the battle tower? every thing thing that CAN go wrong WILL go wrong.
oh you used fire fang you piece of shit?
thats cute, let me make it miss 100 times in a row real quick

oh yeah and i just got a male shiny combee on platinum after over 21000 SR even after using a cute charm trick (got to be at least 70% chance of being female)

Last edited:
While it didn't end up in a loss...

In Emerald's Battle Factory, I was setting up a Curse Snorlax vs a Porygon2 with Tri Attack.

Burned on the first turn.

"Nah, no problem. Let's keep Cursing, then Rest, then kill everything".

Snorlax uses Rest, wakes up due to Chesto.
Porygon2 uses Tri Attack.
Burned again.

... seriously. There is a 0.36% chance for this to happen.

Last edited:
Having my Nuzlocke-eligible encounter on Kalos Route 5 (I ran from a Bunnelby because dupes clause) be a horde is a pain to deal with. At least I cam out of it with a Gulpin.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
In my next run of White 2, I'm going to trade in a Cubone with a Thick Club. Idk I just want to break the game.

The only way to find Thick Clubs in BW is through wild Marowak, with a suspiciously low rate of one Thick Club per 20 Marowak. I'm leading with a Frisk Gothorita holding a Smoke Ball due to its low level.

About twelve Marowak in, I finally get that coveted message: [Gothorita's Frisk] Gothorita frisked the wild Marowak and found its Thick Club!

Marowak easily KOs Gothorita because of a level advantage, and I send out my False Swipe Farfetch'd (I don't have a Marowak yet, so I'm trying to catch them as a package) when I get this:

THE WILD MAROWAK USED FLING!
THE WILD MAROWAK FLUNG ITS THICK CLUB!

After I caught it, I was so disappointed when I found that it had no item! What a dumb thing to happen.

In my next run of White 2, I'm going to trade in a Cubone with a Thick Club. Idk I just want to break the game.

The only way to find Thick Clubs in BW is through wild Marowak, with a suspiciously low rate of one Thick Club per 20 Marowak. I'm leading with a Frisk Gothorita holding a Smoke Ball due to its low level.

About twelve Marowak in, I finally get that coveted message: [Gothorita's Frisk] Gothorita frisked the wild Marowak and found its Thick Club!

Marowak easily KOs Gothorita because of a level advantage, and I send out my False Swipe Farfetch'd (I don't have a Marowak yet, so I'm trying to catch them as a package) when I get this:

After I caught it, I was so disappointed when I found that it had no item! What a dumb thing to happen.
Why am I imagining that Marowak with a trollish grin after that?

I don't know if this counts as bad luck, but caught a modest male salandit and he's been a real team player. But it's been taking him forever to evolve so I decided to stop playing blind and figure out what it takes to make him evolve.

Only female Salandit evolve. Ffffffffffff-

Last edited:
I don't know if this counts as bad luck, but caught a modest male salandit and he's been a real team player. But it's been taking him forever to evolve so I decided to stop playing blind and figure out what it takes to make him evolve.

Only female Salandit evolve. Ffffffffffff-
*sees shiny male Salandit*

ever heard of the battle tower? every thing thing that CAN go wrong WILL go wrong.
oh you used fire fang you piece of shit?
thats cute, let me make it miss 100 times in a row real quick
In the Battle Tower/Battle Subway, no matter HOW GOOD your painstakingly ev trained team's type coverage is, you will run into some stupid, obscure, underpowered mon with just the right type and moveset to strike at your Achilles heel. Call it a conspiracy, but I think the game TRIES to do this, as even if you get past that little derp, another will soon follow. OF COURSE my fairly successful team involving Terrakion and gliscor (forgot the third one, i believe it was something that counters water really well) runs into a claydol that knows ice beam!

On a seperate note, I regard Beldum as THE hardest pokemon to capture in the game. It has the catch rate of a legendary, and it slowly kills itself via takedown, so weakening it is not an option. Even if you use a ghost type, the fact that the beldum only knows takedown means it will resort to struggle VERY quickly.

ANYWAYS... So in platinum I think, I was painstakingly using Pokeradar to chain beldums for shinies. I encountered 2 (separate chains...) and both of them killed themselves with struggle before I could catch them... Naturally I said "Screw this" after that. Just not worth the time and broken blood vessels. Funny how they then give everybody and their mommas a shiny beldum via ORAS. Probably pisses off the people who managed to catch shiny beldum lol.

While I'm typing about pokemon playing hard to get how about these 3rd gen examples:
Rayquaza: 214 ultra balls... after I restarted I caught him on the third one.
And... I kid you not..
Skarmory: 164 ultra balls... WTF

Last edited:

Where's your Compound Eyes, bro?

My beedrill hit itself in confusion FOUR times in a row... On a nuzlocke!

He survived though.

Also I've had a match on showdown where my Chesnaught was frozen for what must have been at least 6 turns in a row. Then I switched it out and healed it up with wish later in the match. He didn't thaw fow like 6 more turns.

I encountered 40 male salandit before I got a female, the female had 0-4 ivs in speed and special attack. I chained a new one, just as bad, decided to go for a third and it ALSO had 0 speed ivs. Took me 3 hours, I'm furious.

I averted bad luck, but this easily could have gone either way.

I went to go catch Regigigas in ORAS after breeding some Gibles to chain-breed a Timid Deino. I went and grabbed my Regis, threw a Never-Melt Ice on Regice ("Regisnow") and went off to the Island Cave. I didn't know that Regigigas basically falls on your head, so I forgot to save AND wasn't able to get my Capture O-Power up. Anyway, I have my Level 76 Sporeswipe Breloom in lead as always, and knock it down to low HP. This is where the bad part hits: it used Revenge. And Effect Spore activated. At this point I'm thinking "oh shit" because there's a chance this thing might get poisoned. Thankfully, it went to sleep instead. I eventually caught it after hucking half a dozen Dusk Balls, three Ultra Balls and a dozen Timer Balls at it.

My Oricorio hit itself from confusion twice in the same turn, when trying to use Teeter Dance (from Dancer being triggered) and Hurricane.

The DexNav can be rage-inducing sometimes. I was chaining Eevees to get the HP/SpD one I wanted (for Vaporeon). Get up to a chain of 15 Eevees, then see a 16th one that has one perfect IV, is Level 18, and got Detect as an egg move.

It ran away at no fault of my own. Rage mode activated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)