Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer

Must Nasty Plot Darkrai carry Focus Blast, or it can be dropped for Taunt?
I personally have never encountered a Taunt Darkrai before. The standard moveset for Nasty Plot Darkrai is Dark Void/Nasty Plot/Dark Pulse/Focus Blast, but some people forego Focus Blast in favor of Substitute. As for preferred items, I most often see Lum Berry with Focus Blast and Leftovers with Substitute. So the answer to your question is no, Focus Blast is not required, but it is by far the most common fourth move on Nasty Plot Darkrai.

I've tried taunt darkrai before but since it still fails against blissey after you have slept something, it is pretty useless.

I tried asking this in the Ever Grande thread but haven't gotten a response.
"Is there a way or site that can tell me the right answers to get the Mew move tutor to teach my Mew hypnosis and fake out on Pokemon XD?"

Yes, I know this. What I want to know is which combination of questions and answers will allow me to get the moves hypnosis and fake out together

I've tried taunt darkrai before but since it still fails against blissey after you have slept something, it is pretty useless.
Is Fighting a good attacking type in Ubers? I mean, with so many Psychics and Ghosts...which is why I thought about alternatives for Focus Blast...

And Mewtwo uses Taunt with a boosting move, why not Darkrai?

Is Fighting a good attacking type in Ubers? I mean, with so many Psychics and Ghosts...which is why I thought about alternatives for Focus Blast...

And Mewtwo uses Taunt with a boosting move, why not Darkrai?
Dark hits the Phychics and Ghosts for SE damage and is STAB and is your main attacking move and you out speed all of them except Mewtwo and random scarfers.
Fighting hits the common things that resist dark(Steel steel and steel) for SE damage. Mono attacking Darkrai are eternally walled by the omnipresence of Steels(Scizor and Dialga).
Mewtwo uses Taunt with Calm Mind.
It can get away with this because it has better defenses, its boosting its defenses, and because it uses taunt to help set up(Wobbuffet, Mew other CMers, and a few others).
Additionally, Mewtwo runs 2 attacks along side Taunt and CM while Darkrai can only run Dark Pulse since it also runs Dark Void and Nasty Plot meaning you lose really important neutral coverage while Mewtwo keeps close to perfect neutral coverage with just 2 attacks.
After sleeping something whatever comes in when you NP will attack(Unless its a bad player or something REALLY weird). Taking the turn to taunt whatever came in will leave you with a dead or near dead Darkrai since the pokes that will come in to take the +2 Dark Pulse will also carry a move to 1hko or leave you weak enough to where Rai dies to any priority move.

Noob alert!

I don't even know if this is the real section, but eh, I'll try.
What's the main difference between, say, a single player Latios compared to WiFi Latios?
Since I'm bit of an old-school gamer, I have trained about 16 pokemon to level 100. And from what I understand, those don't do well in WiFi battling?
For example my Latios has ;
H: 300
A: 261
D: 201
SA: 310
SD: 242
S: 234
so what makes it differ from WiFi setups?

I don't even know if this is the real section, but eh, I'll try.
What's the main difference between, say, a single player Latios compared to WiFi Latios?
Since I'm bit of an old-school gamer, I have trained about 16 pokemon to level 100. And from what I understand, those don't do well in WiFi battling?
For example my Latios has ;
H: 300
A: 261
D: 201
SA: 310
SD: 242
S: 234
so what makes it differ from WiFi setups?
a much. This are the stats of a good EV trained latios (4HP / 252 speed / 252 sp. A) with perfect IVs (all 31) with timid nature.
HP:301
A: 194 (but not important)
D: 196
SA: 359
SD: 256
S: 350

Attack is not important because you will only use special attacking moves.
I think that this doesn't belong here, but I don't know where else.

Hi there Xelested, welcome to Smogon. There are four things that competitive battlers will look for that people just playing in-game usually won't care about.

1. Nature - there is an optimal nature for each Pokémon set. For virtually all competitive Latios, that is Timid, so you generally wouldn't train a Latios for battling purposes unless it was that nature.
2. IVs - Obviously, it is near impossible to get perfect IVs on your Pokémon like you can with Shoddy Battle. However, 28 or better in the most important stats (for Latios these would be Special Attack and Speed) and 20 or better in HP and the defenses (since Latios should be running only offensive sets) are what a competitive battler would look for. (I don't play Wi-Fi, so those numbers may be slightly off!)
3. EVs - Once you have the nature and IVs you want, you have to EV train your Pokémon. For Latios, a simple 252 SpAtk/252 Spe/6 HP approach is usually the best, although it obviously depends on what set you want to run. It doesn't require any luck to get optimal EVs, just time and making sure you battle the right wild Pokémon!
4. Moves - In-game, you probably use Dragon Pulse and three other coverage attacking moves on Latios, or you may use it as an HM slave, or a combination of the two. Competitively, you would want different moves (again depending on the set you want to run), although some (like Dragon Pulse and Surf) are still great.

Essentially, your Latios differs from one that would be used by a Wi-Fi battler in that it hasn't been meticulously picked out through SRing (for nature and IVs) and trained (for EVs and moves). Here's the link to Smogon's Latios analysis: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/latios As you can see, there is a specific combination of nature, IVs, EVs, and moves that is the "best" for each competitive Latios set (although there is always room for personal variation!). These combinations are what Wi-Fi battlers will train for that in-game battlers like yourself won't.

I hope that answers your question. If you have any follow-up questions, feel free to ask!

I'm making an Uber team and it seems to have good synergy and covers everyone's weaknesses nicely, but I'm wondering if anything can completely run through my team and how to stop it. Here's my Team so far.

Timid CS Shaymin-S (HP Ice)
Mixed Dialga (Hasty, Fire Blast, Outrage, Thunder)
Support Groudon (Overheat)
Mono-Attacking Kyogre

Note: I'm using this on Pokemon Online so Arceus will be around.

Edit: Xelested: You could go to the trading forum and ask them there. You should definitely atleast try for 31 Speed and high SpAtk. HP and SpDef would be good as well since Latios usually likes taking Special hits. Atk is worthless and I think most physical moves aimed at it will OHKO it anyway.

Edit2: Ok I went with Giratina-O and Scizor in the last slots and the team is doing well so I guess I really don't need any advice short of a RMT.

so i just started getting into ubers and am struggling with a concept could somebody tell a good winning condition for a starting uber team?

so i just started getting into ubers and am struggling with a concept could somebody tell a good winning condition for a starting uber team?
Typically for a beginner, it's good to pick either stall or offense, and decide what you want/play best with. For offense, a Rayquaza or Garchomp sweep is a good winning condition. For stall, use a core of Groudon, Forretress, and Blissey. Build a team from there.

I'm currently in love with this Arceus set, since I can't figure out a way to kill it.

Arceus @ Iron Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 100 HP/10 Atk/100 Def/100 SpAtk/100 SpDef/100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Roar
- Recover

You come in on something like Lati@s or a Special Attack you resist and start setting up. Roar makes sure things like Bulk Up Dialga and Calm Mind Lati@s don't get up many boosts and Recover and your Steel typing make you extremely hard to take down, especially since you're immune to Toxic.

I would think Garchomp and Taunt Mewtwo would shut this set down but I haven't run into them yet. Kyogre can also be a problem since you can't take it out quickly and it can set up Calm Minds of its own or hit you with a powerful Water Spout. Darkrai will also put you to Sleep so you should have a counter for that as well.

Toxic Spikes should help to take those Pokemon down and Paralysis support is always nice for the faster Pokemon like Mewtwo and Darkrai.

Of course, this will only work if you plan on battling on Wi-Fi or Pokemon Online since Shoddy doesn't allow Arceus yet. If you want to play on Shoddy, go with what tripe said.

I'm currently in love with this Arceus set, since I can't figure out a way to kill it.

Arceus @ Iron Plate
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Roar
- Recover

You come in on something like Lati@s or a Special Attack you resist and start setting up. Roar makes sure things like Bulk Up Dialga and Calm Mind Lati@s don't get up many boosts and Recover and your Steel typing make you extremely hard to take down, especially since you're immune to Toxic.
Careful. Ho-oh will rip you a new one, even at +6/+6, with its 154 SDef and resistance to Steel.

Edit: Actually, Taunt Heatran can do this too.

Careful. Ho-oh will rip you a new one, even at +6/+6, with its 154 SDef and resistance to Steel.
That's true. I guess some sort of defensive Kyogre would be the best partner for this set to take Fire attacks and Rain helps it take things like Palkia's Fire Blast much better.

Arceus @ Iron Plate
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Roar
- Recover
TBH I feel that using a faster sweeper would be better, unless you are using this on a stall-oriented team, due to the fast nature of Ubers. Also spamming CMs + Recover seems a bit like waiting for a crit hax...

Laddering

How do I tell where I rank in the ladder if I am not in the top 50?

Also, I am pretty new to competitive battling, so at what point should I create my own team instead of using premade teams?

Thank you

How do I tell where I rank in the ladder if I am not in the top 50?

Also, I am pretty new to competitive battling, so at what point should I create my own team instead of using premade teams?

Thank you
Beginners should use teams they made even when starting off, since they can realize what they did wrong. I wouldn't be too concerned about getting on leaderboard, as majority of the names on there are alternate accounts made by top players, damn you jibbles!

Whats a good way to deal with Arceus before it SDs twice and sweeps with extreme speed? and will Pokemon Lab tell me what plate it has?

Physical Arceus are typically best checked by Skarmory(watch out for Overheat! Keep Skarmory in the rain and it'll be alright though) and Lugia. Since Arceus is vulnerable to all forms of Entry Hazards, shuffling it around might be better than outright trying to kill it.

Giratina can Will-o-Wisp them, but fears the Ghost SD Arceus who can maim it with STAB Shadow Claw.

Groudon can live a +2 hit and respond with its powerful STAB EQ, but it will never 2hko.

Scarf Dialga can revenge kill weakened ones quite easily, as it resists Extreme Speed.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Whats a good way to deal with Arceus before it SDs twice and sweeps with extreme speed? and will Pokemon Lab tell me what plate it has?
Skarmory is a very good counter being able to Whirlwind it out and taking only around 50% from a +2 ExtremeSpeed with 252HP/0 Def and a Careful nature. As for the second part, I don't know, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)