Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - TCG edition

Beach is literally the only card(s) I do not have to make it a World Class deck. Everything else is in place. I haven't even been to league since the 4th when I posted that above. Missed about 4 meetings. Just bleh.

Plan on going tomorrow.. might even switch everything out and go for a deck that is more sustainable when Plasma Freeze, etc comes out.

I might have burnt myself out already lol.. we'll see on Saturday.

Edit
I decided to once again not go lol

Ok so I bought 7 packs and ended up with groudon ex, skyla full art, cheren full art and pokemon catcher
Am I just really lucky or are the exes and full arts getting cheaper?

im trying to run a deck based around lando ex and groudon ex, but im having a lot of trouble with emolga leads and blastoise/keldeo ex decks in general :\
any suggestions?
possible decklist would be nice thanks :3

Okay, so with the new Plasma Freeze set, I've seen Life Dew get a lot of putdown for being less than spectacular as a ace spec, but I think that in Darkrai decks, it would work. Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't sableye keep pulling it out of the discard, essentially making your opponent kill A LOT of sableyes if you run revives also? Thoughts?

Okay, so with the new Plasma Freeze set, I've seen Life Dew get a lot of putdown for being less than spectacular as a ace spec, but I think that in Darkrai decks, it would work. Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't sableye keep pulling it out of the discard, essentially making your opponent kill A LOT of sableyes if you run revives also? Thoughts?
Yes, but you could also use your ACE SPEC spot to better use. Heck, rock guard + Sableye could be a better combo.

Yes, but you could also use your ACE SPEC spot to better use. Heck, rock guard + Sableye could be a better combo.
True, in the damage dealing sense, but if you wanted to be more of a pain you could use life dew, correct? ( I am relatively new to the TCG, and I don't play Darkrai, so I'm just trying to guess here:P )

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
im trying to run a deck based around lando ex and groudon ex, but im having a lot of trouble with emolga leads and blastoise/keldeo ex decks in general :\
any suggestions?
possible decklist would be nice thanks :3
Sadly I think you're better off running Landorus alone as Groudon is very slow in terms of Attack Cost + a massive retreat cost and low damage cap. Landorus itself can deal 30/30 damage turn 1 and with Ether/Pokedex/Lunatone acceleration it can achieve a turn 2 land's judgement which literally destroys any card in the format, or run it with Lasers/Virbank for that matter so you can OHKO in one turn. Sure Keldeo is and will always be Landoru's worst enemy thanks to that nasty weakness but it shouldn't pose a problem as long as you setup faster (which is possible when only using basic pokemon aka Big Basics).

Sadly I think you're better off running Landorus alone as Groudon is very slow in terms of Attack Cost + a massive retreat cost and low damage cap. Landorus itself can deal 30/30 damage turn 1 and with Ether/Pokedex/Lunatone acceleration it can achieve a turn 2 land's judgement which literally destroys any card in the format, or run it with Lasers/Virbank for that matter so you can OHKO in one turn. Sure Keldeo is and will always be Landoru's worst enemy thanks to that nasty weakness but it shouldn't pose a problem as long as you setup faster (which is possible when only using basic pokemon aka Big Basics).
Personally, I have settled on a Terrakion EX deck (for the time being) and I use a Lunatone/Ether core to accelerate energy. I run two lunas and if they both get out and I have a way to shuffle the deck, there's no stopping the ethers other than no energies being on top of the deck. Also important to note is that you probably want to run a few more energies than most decks currently do to help guarantee energy access!

i was trying that out today actually didnt work out for me :s

ended up settling for a really cool snorlax deck
block is a really cool ability and if u can catch something like keldeo in darkrai deck used for free retreat, u can pretty much just set up however u want
also with 5 mons benched (or 4 with 3 of them being deoxys) u can pretty much ohko any ex

zero2exe

is a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I have settled on a Terrakion EX deck (for the time being) and I use a Lunatone/Ether core to accelerate energy. I run two lunas and if they both get out and I have a way to shuffle the deck, there's no stopping the ethers other than no energies being on top of the deck. Also important to note is that you probably want to run a few more energies than most decks currently do to help guarantee energy access!
Exactly, those decks won't work with the usual 8/4 or 10 basic energy line but rather 12-14 basic ones. The first issue is getting to the energies in the first place, Lunatone helps in this scenario by re-arranging them although only 2 cards tend to end up short in some cases when you find yourself without energies in the top of your deck. The second issue is to get your motor (in this case ether) ready within the first two turns at most. Cards like Skyla help getting them but sometimes you can do better stuff with your supporter than to force a single trainer card into your hand. Stage-2 decks have suffered from this one when they find themselves without any Skyla or Rare candy in their initial hands despite running 4-4, what I'm trying to get here is that luck will play a critical factor in the first turns and you should prepare a backup plan for the worst case scenario.
i was trying that out today actually didnt work out for me :s

ended up settling for a really cool snorlax deck
block is a really cool ability and if u can catch something like keldeo in darkrai deck used for free retreat, u can pretty much just set up however u want
also with 5 mons benched (or 4 with 3 of them being deoxys) u can pretty much ohko any ex
As I just explained, even when you max out the odds sometimes it doesn't work the way we want, that's pokemon for you. I must admit I had completely forgotten about snorlax and his awesome ability, but remember that if you opt to trap Keldeo then the dark types will get boosted by dark patch at their bench and also even Darkrai decks may run Scramble Switch (which makes an amazing combo with max potion) or they could just catcher one of your Deoxys (which also have a 2-retreat cost) and retreat. What I'm saying is that the strategy is nice but it is also easy to work around without even modifying the current lists and Snorlax has the flaw of a massive attack cost, 5 energy will take you about 3 turns with Colress machine and normal attachment to launch your attack unless you're also running DCE which reduces it to 2 but leaves you more open to special energy discard.

Scramble Switch is still my best friend.

Life Dew is cool, and can be a nice blanket for a fragile Pokemon, your prizes, or a Pokemon that has high risks, but Eviolite and other tools can be used more effectively.

Plasma Freeze was a success, have a lot of cool things in it and I'm excited to get a Plasma deck going. Pre-release was a blast, got some solid cards and EXs.. and this weekend plan on buying a Box to seal the deal [whatever I dont get I begin to trade]

If you're going to run Landorus, which you should.. as its the most wanted card in the game [or was before Plasma Freeze; Thundurus and Deoxys], don't bother going with Groudon..

Hard to help, when we dont know budget. Blastoise/Keldeo loses to anything fast and disruptive. Trust me.. I use it lol

Ok so I've had a stroke of inspiration
What about running darmanitan (damage counterpunch) with chandelure plf?
It provides darmanitan with the energy accel and damage it needs for counterpunch
And should I run Emolga for cff to get litwick and darumaka quicker?

zero2exe

is a Contributor Alumnus
Scramble Switch is still my best friend.

Life Dew is cool, and can be a nice blanket for a fragile Pokemon, your prizes, or a Pokemon that has high risks, but Eviolite and other tools can be used more effectively.

Plasma Freeze was a success, have a lot of cool things in it and I'm excited to get a Plasma deck going. Pre-release was a blast, got some solid cards and EXs.. and this weekend plan on buying a Box to seal the deal [whatever I dont get I begin to trade]

If you're going to run Landorus, which you should.. as its the most wanted card in the game [or was before Plasma Freeze; Thundurus and Deoxys], don't bother going with Groudon..

Hard to help, when we dont know budget. Blastoise/Keldeo loses to anything fast and disruptive. Trust me.. I use it lol
I agree with this, plasma freeze is such an awesome set every known archetype got something to improve, most notably float stone allowing keldeo to work on any deck now.
Also what do you guys think about including the new Kyurem into Blastoise/Keldeo? It has solid HP, a nice sniping attack for 30/30 which means keldeo will only need 5 energy to KO anything or outright deal 120 itselfwith blizzard burn which comes with no liability thanks to rush in support. It was a tough decision but I included 2 in the deck since they're solid non ex options to deal with klinklang, sure Cobalion NVI will be a pain due to weakness but also kyurem can one shot it thanks to blastoise anyway and even if it can't easily defeat cobalion ex it has enough power to deal with Klinklank.

Yeah he's looking good.

A $6 card for a reason, at the moment anyways.

This weekend I plan on adding it to my deck as Blastoise was my only real answer to Klinks beforehand [since i could never set up fast enough/energy output]

So I'll probably run 3 Keldeo, 1 Kyurem, 2 Black Kyurem, 3 Blastoise. as my main line.. not including the Squirtles.

zero2exe

is a Contributor Alumnus
@Phadunk
Yah sounds about right, seems we have almost the same list in mind lol.

Well now an actual question. Energy Retrieval or Super-ior Energy Retrieval? (a 3 letter change.. seriously gamefreak that's the best you could think about to troll people? <.<).
I personally think both work great together in the Blastoise archetype but not more than 4 in any combination.
I'm currently testing 3/1 normal and superior respectively since it's more likely to run into superior in the late game when you already have a lot of energy in the discard pile to get back, whereas the normal one is useful to get stuff without discarding anything important in the earlier stages. Or maybe another superior will work better overall?

I agree with this, plasma freeze is such an awesome set every known archetype got something to improve, most notably float stone allowing keldeo to work on any deck now.
Also what do you guys think about including the new Kyurem into Blastoise/Keldeo? It has solid HP, a nice sniping attack for 30/30 which means keldeo will only need 5 energy to KO anything or outright deal 120 itselfwith blizzard burn which comes with no liability thanks to rush in support. It was a tough decision but I included 2 in the deck since they're solid non ex options to deal with klinklang, sure Cobalion NVI will be a pain due to weakness but also kyurem can one shot it thanks to blastoise anyway and even if it can't easily defeat cobalion ex it has enough power to deal with Klinklank.
Having played Kyurem, he doesn't look very threatening, but the low energy cost is incredible! With Keldeo's Rush-in/ Float stone combo, he can Blizzard burn and retreat/ Keldeo Rushes in to remove the penalty of using blizzard burn! Wonderful Combo for water decks!

It will really depend on the play and the comfort factor when playing the energy retrieval or the new one.

I would do 2/2 right now.. To get a feel for it. But with the new card..you can now discard more energy than ever without being worried of not getting it back soon enough. Discard with Juniper, Ultra Ball etc

I might even run 3 of the new ones. And 1 old.

It will really depend on the play and the comfort factor when playing the energy retrieval or the new one.

I would do 2/2 right now.. To get a feel for it. But with the new card..you can now discard more energy than ever without being worried of not getting it back soon enough. Discard with Juniper, Ultra Ball etc

I might even run 3 of the new ones. And 1 old.
I've been playing a few rounds with the new energy retrieval and the old one. I prefer the new one because of Terrakion's Pump up smash, but my gf doesn't like needing to discard the cards, so I think it's more of personal preference combined with what each deck will call for. Deciding between 3 or 2 is going to become a choice based on personal preference.

zero2exe

is a Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone know if the plasma freeze theme deck lists have been released anywhere yet? I can't find them -_-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)